MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:39:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55]
Author Topic: MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins  (Read 67509 times)
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1350 on: October 16, 2020, 06:26:32 PM »

Now I wish I hadn't voted for him, even though Markey ended up winning.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1351 on: March 04, 2021, 01:01:58 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2021, 12:25:46 PM by MarkD »

I know this thread is old news, but recently I have been curious about the results of this primary, and as I studied the election results, some questions popped into my mind.

Out of the 14 counties in Massachusetts, four of them voted for Kennedy: Bristol, Hampden, Plymouth, and Worcester. Plymouth and Worcester voted for Kennedy by narrow margins, Hampden did so by a more substantial margin, and Bristol voted for Kennedy by a landslide. Kennedy won all 20 of the cities/towns in Bristol; Fall River voted for Kennedy by over a 3-1 margin, and New Bedford voted for him by over a 2-1 margin. These four counties are pretty clearly the more conservative counties of the state. Are the Democratic primary voters of these four counties more conservative than the Democratic primary voters in the rest of the state? Why would Kennedy have been more appealling to the relatively conservative Democrats in Massachusetts?

Of the nine congressional districts, there were significant differences in terms of the amount of voter turnout and in the degree of support for Markey. The average district in the state cast 157,110 votes in the Democratic primary, and as you all know, Markey won 55.35% statewide to Kennedy's 44.51%. Here is the breakdown per district:
1) 143,102 votes; Markey 48.05% to Kennedy 51.80%
2) 136,476 votes; Markey 54.15% to Kennedy 45.75%
3) 134,175 votes; Markey 53.65% to Kennedy 46.24%
4) 166,689 votes; Markey 51.08% to Kennedy 48.83%
5) 190,594 votes; Markey 67.59% to Kennedy 32.29%
6) 164,612 votes; Markey 56.72% to Kennedy 43.15%
7) 159,014 votes; Markey 61.57% to Kennedy 38.29%
Cool 172,268 votes; Markey 53.38% to Kennedy 46.36%
9) 147,058 votes; Markey 48.18% to Kennedy 51.70%

Kennedy won the two districts at opposite ends of the state: the westermost 1st district and the easternmost 9th district. But he didn't win his own district #4. Although Kennedy won the Bristol County portion of that district by a wide margin, he lost the two northernmost communities of the district by very wide margins: Brookline voted 69.4% for Markey and Newton voted 64.1% for Markey. If Kennedy has at least tied with Markey in those two communities, then he would have won the 4th district as well as the 1st and 9th districts. Brookline was the birthplace of JFK and JPKIII's grandfather, RFK, and JPKIII was living in Newton while he represented the 4th district. Why would these two communities vote so heavily against Kennedy?
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #1352 on: March 05, 2021, 09:52:36 AM »

joe kennedy for governor
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #1353 on: March 05, 2021, 10:50:46 AM »

Brookline was the birthplace of JFK and JPKIII's grandfather, RFK, and JPKIII was living in Newton while he represented the 4th district. Why would these two communities vote so heavily against Kennedy?

These two towns are dominated by highly educated liberal white professionals. In other words, Markey's base. They also both have very high Jewish populations, though I'm not sure that made much of a difference since neither candidate is Jewish / has any particular ties to the Jewish community.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1354 on: March 06, 2021, 11:22:51 PM »

Brookline was the birthplace of JFK and JPKIII's grandfather, RFK, and JPKIII was living in Newton while he represented the 4th district. Why would these two communities vote so heavily against Kennedy?

These two towns are dominated by highly educated liberal white professionals. In other words, Markey's base. They also both have very high Jewish populations, though I'm not sure that made much of a difference since neither candidate is Jewish / has any particular ties to the Jewish community.

Since Markey did far better among the state's well-educated liberal professionals, then it would seem that Kennedy was appealling primarily to not-so-well-educated, not-as-liberal, working class Democrats. Kennedy did much better in cities such as Brockton, Fall River, New Bedford, and Springfield, which are working-class cities, not hotbeds of Massachusetts's acedemia.

On another note, I have also broken down the results by state senate districts. There are 40 districts, and Kennedy prevailed in 15 of them, whereas Markey won the other 25 districts. However, there was far lower turnout in most of the districts Kennedy carried. The average number of votes cast per senate district was 35,350. Out of the 15 districts Kennedy carried, 13 of them had below average amount of votes cast, whereas of the 25 districts Markey carried, 18 of them had above average amount of votes cast. Just 30.39% of the votes were cast in the 15 districts that voted for Kennedy; conversely, 69.61% of the votes were cast in the 25 districts that Markey carried. Across the 15 districts that Kennedy won, he got 56% of those votes. Across the 25 districts that Markey won, he got 60.36% of those votes.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1355 on: March 06, 2021, 11:43:34 PM »

No wait for the Senate
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1356 on: March 06, 2021, 11:43:55 PM »

I know this thread is old news, but recently I have been curious about the results of this primary, and as I studied the election results, some questions popped into my mind.

Out of the 14 counties in Massachusetts, four of them voted for Kennedy: Bristol, Hampden, Plymouth, and Worcester. Plymouth and Worcester voted for Kennedy by narrow margins, Hampden did so by a more substantial margin, and Bristol voted for Kennedy by a landslide. Kennedy won all 20 of the cities/towns in Bristol; Fall River voted for Kennedy by over a 3-1 margin, and New Bedford voted for him by over a 2-1 margin. These four counties are pretty clearly the more conservative counties of the state. Are the Democratic primary voters of these four counties more conservative than the Democratic primary voters in the rest of the state? Why would Kennedy have been more appealling to the relatively conservative Democrats in Massachusetts?

Of the nine congressional districts, there were significant differences in terms of the amount of voter turnout and in the degree of support for Markey. The average district in the state cast 157,110 votes in the Democratic primary, and as you all know, Markey won 55.35% statewide to Kennedy's 44.51%. Here is the breakdown per district:
1) 143,102 votes; Markey 48.05% to Kennedy 51.80%
2) 136,476 votes; Markey 54.15% to Kennedy 45.75%
3) 134,175 votes; Markey 53.65% to Kennedy 46.24%
4) 166,689 votes; Markey 51.08% to Kennedy 48.83%
5) 190,594 votes; Markey 67.59% to Kennedy 32.29%
6) 164,612 votes; Markey 56.72% to Kennedy 43.15%
7) 159,014 votes; Markey 61.57% to Kennedy 38.29%
Cool 172,268 votes; Markey 53.38% to Kennedy 46.36%
9) 147,058 votes; Markey 48.18% to Kennedy 51.70%

Kennedy won the two districts at opposite ends of the state: the westermost 1st district and the easternmost 9th district. But he didn't win his own district #4. Although Kennedy won the Bristol County portion of that district by a wide margin, he lost the two northernmost communities of the district by very wide margins: Brookline voted 69.4% for Markey and Newton voted 64.1% for Markey. If Kennedy has at least tied with Markey in those two communities, then he would have won the 4th district as well as the 1st and 9th districts. Brookline was the birthplace of JFK and JPKIII's grandfather, RFK, and JPKIII was living in Newton while he represented the 4th district. Why would these two communities vote so heavily against Kennedy?

Dear god why are you putting me through this?
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #1357 on: March 07, 2021, 02:30:55 PM »

Hopefully, Warren goes for Treasury and Kennedy v Pressley primary, Kennedy would win

About time you say something I like.

In my gut I kind of think he still would win but maybe I’m just being hopeful cause frankly he just lost to the biggest, most irrelevant loser there is in the Dem party. So who knows

Sorry, but just to point out the inaccuracy of this statement, it is Kennedy who is the loser here.

I mean in a sense yes because he lost the 2020 race.

But overall ....Markey is again, the biggest most irrelevant loser in the party right now. it’s between him and overrated Stacey Abrams. But we don’t know what Abrams would do in office, we know Markey will do NOTHINF

Lol when it rains, it pours
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1358 on: March 07, 2021, 03:31:48 PM »

BEN DOWNING IS GONNA Be NEXT GOV OF MA
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #1359 on: March 07, 2021, 04:17:51 PM »

warren doesn't seem like a likely retirement candidate and markey just got re-elected
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1360 on: March 07, 2021, 05:03:33 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2021, 10:53:37 PM by MillennialModerate »

Hopefully, Warren goes for Treasury and Kennedy v Pressley primary, Kennedy would win

In my gut I kind of think he still would win but maybe I’m just being hopeful cause frankly he just lost to the biggest, most irrelevant loser there is in the Dem party. So who knows

Sorry, but just to point out the inaccuracy of this statement, it is Kennedy who is the loser here.

But overall ....Markey is again, the biggest most irrelevant loser in the party right now. it’s between him and overrated Stacey Abrams. But we don’t know what Abrams would do in office, we know Markey will do NOTHINF

Oh dear god. Did I actually say that? LOL.

It’s a clear fact of life anything Georgia related by me is a fail. I’ve obviously done a complete 180 on Abrams.

Markey is still a loser. The sooner he is replaced by Kennedy or Pressley the better.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1361 on: March 07, 2021, 08:00:04 PM »

The reason why Joe Kennedy isn't running, for Gov, Warren is up again in 2024 and she may go to Cabinet, Joe Kennedy would face the same problem as last time, he would face Ben Downing whom has the same supporters and Markey but he is younger

Warren will be pressured to leave the Senate and go to Cabinet since the Senate map is a carbon copy of 2022
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1362 on: March 08, 2021, 03:43:30 AM »

It’s a clear fact of life anything Georgia related by me is a fail. I’ve obviously done a complete 180 on Abrams.

Markey is still a loser. The sooner he is replaced by Kennedy or Pressley the better.

To repeat my previous statement, if Markey is a loser but managed to beat a Kennedy in Massachusetts,  then what does that make Kennedy?
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1363 on: March 08, 2021, 06:38:36 AM »

To repeat my previous statement, if Markey is a loser but managed to beat a Kennedy in Massachusetts,  then what does that make Kennedy?

Somebody who *in this instance* choked away many many advantages he had - the biggest: being a Kennedy. Having more financial resources. Being more well liked. Being more known. Being more articulate. Having a better grasp of policy. Harder work ethic... on and on. The simple fact is his campaign did a poor job of getting the working class voter out to the polls - Markey did a fantastic job of getting the wealthy latte leftist liberal crowd out to the polls (with a smigedon of incumbent favoring normal voters).

That doesn’t change how principless Markey is - how much of a political cameleon he is. How much of a hacks hack he is. Not at all. If the public’s attention was as focused on the race as they normally would be (and let’s be honest defeating Trump was the laser focus goal of Democrats) and turnout was at a general election level I think you’d see different results.

When or should I say IF Kennedy gets into the Governors office or the Senate in the near future I think
youll see how popular a YOUNG, articulate, constitutent focused (and yes a Kennedy) will be.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1364 on: March 08, 2021, 06:47:28 AM »

I don't see why people are now bsessed with Kennedy, there are better Ds than Joe Kennedy like Ben Downing whom will be the next Gov of MA
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #1365 on: March 08, 2021, 09:38:18 PM »

Markey's numbers in Natick and Newton compared against Kennedy's numbers in Springfield and Worcester make one thing clear: this race has never been about progressive vs establishment or house vs senate. It's about the wealthy (Markey's base) vs everyone ese (Kennedy's base). So much for being on the side of the working man, Markey bros.

Have you seen western Mass?Huh??

This is the worst possible take for so many reasons.

Springfield vs the Pioneer Valley, you mean? Sure, Markey's going 55-45 in rural Western MA but the blue collar heartland of Massachusetts is solidly behind Kennedy. It's funny to see the Sanders/Warren types who were oh-so-horrified to see the Democrats become the party of UMC whites have their candidate win because of these very voters. It is abundantly clear that Markey's majority is coming from rich towns in Middlesex and Metrowest, not anywhere else.

This may shock some people but working class, blue collar voters aren’t hardcore Leftists. In the primary they overwhelmingly went for Biden, and Sanders/ Warren got crushed with them. These types of voters are your stereotypical “Moderate Democrat”

Most Progressives are upper class whites in the suburbs. Despite their rhetoric, Berniecrats don’t represent the working class.
Eh, White voters in MKE, Cleveland, and Detroit make up the White-Working-Class, along with rural whites.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1366 on: March 09, 2021, 11:40:48 PM »

Somebody who *in this instance* choked away many many advantages he had - the biggest: being a Kennedy. Having more financial resources. Being more well liked. Being more known. Being more articulate. Having a better grasp of policy. Harder work ethic... on and on. The simple fact is his campaign did a poor job of getting the working class voter out to the polls - Markey did a fantastic job of getting the wealthy latte leftist liberal crowd out to the polls (with a smigedon of incumbent favoring normal voters).

That doesn’t change how principless Markey is - how much of a political cameleon he is. How much of a hacks hack he is. Not at all. If the public’s attention was as focused on the race as they normally would be (and let’s be honest defeating Trump was the laser focus goal of Democrats) and turnout was at a general election level I think you’d see different results.

When or should I say IF Kennedy gets into the Governors office or the Senate in the near future I think
youll see how popular a YOUNG, articulate, constitutent focused (and yes a Kennedy) will be.

You're filled with more hatred than Trump supporters
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #1367 on: March 10, 2021, 12:04:21 AM »

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1368 on: March 10, 2021, 12:07:56 AM »

I'm a person with no self-esteem, no self-confidence and has actively hated himself most of his life, so that's why I keep going back to certain places
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies