MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 05:43:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 55
Author Topic: MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins  (Read 68260 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: August 20, 2020, 01:16:48 PM »

Just remember:

We are watching you.

We will remember you.

And come January, when you ask for our help to keep your gavel, we will replace you.

There are too few for that. Pelosi will get another term. I could see the caucus getting too hostile for Hoyer by 2022, in which case that's one more reason for him to curse the boss who denied him the Speakership for so long.

If it isn't Hoyer or Pelosi, then it will be Clyburn or Jeffries
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #726 on: August 20, 2020, 01:24:14 PM »

Just remember:

We are watching you.

We will remember you.

And come January, when you ask for our help to keep your gavel, we will replace you.

There are too few for that. Pelosi will get another term. I could see the caucus getting too hostile for Hoyer by 2022, in which case that's one more reason for him to curse the boss who denied him the Speakership for so long.

If it isn't Hoyer or Pelosi, then it will be Clyburn or Jeffries

Jeffries is an inept hack more ideologically suited to the current caucus than Hoyer but probably unable to unite them (if he did get the Speakership, I don't think he'd hold it for long).

Clyburn is a realistic bet as he is somewhat more progressive than Hoyer and I expect he'd get some serious support from a hypothetical President Biden. I do wonder whether Biden would hesitate to go all in on backing Clyburn if Hoyer was also running or whether Clyburn would want to run against Hoyer to begin with, but he'd have a better chance of earning a more progressive caucus' support.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #727 on: August 20, 2020, 01:24:25 PM »

Just remember:

We are watching you.

We will remember you.

Nah, pelosi will once again easily be renominated. At the end of the day, this is a senate race and she is speaker of the house. All house democratic incumbents are thankful that Pelosi continues to endorse incumbents no matter their ideological learn, and supports the DCCC's blacklist policies towards primary challengers. Hell, there's an argument that the blacklist policies combined with DFL and other mainstream endorsements helped save Omar, but I won't make that argument. Like it or not, the squad is now part of the establishment, in that they are established in the existing system and enjoy the transnational and institutional benefits that protect incumbent legislators.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #728 on: August 20, 2020, 01:35:56 PM »

She has made a big mistake
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #729 on: August 20, 2020, 01:36:04 PM »

So essentially leaning into the Bernie Bro narrative.

The apology box is back open, folks.

Apologize for what?  Also, I'm genuinely not sure how you make the leap from this to the Bernie Bro narrative.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #730 on: August 20, 2020, 01:44:16 PM »

Just remember:

We are watching you.

We will remember you.

This January? No way Pelosi gets replaced if the Dems keep the majority.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #731 on: August 20, 2020, 01:47:41 PM »

The worst part is is that Pelosi has cracked down hard on primaries before. It's obvious hypocrisy.

I try to be objective on primaries, judge them on the merits of the challenger and the incumbent. I supported Omar's challenger for instance, I opposed AOC's challenger, and and I supported neither Jones or Tlaib.

In this race I've made the judgement and as I've stated before I back Markey. Pelosi can't seem to make up her mind on how she views challenges. She's been a good Speaker this term, but she needs to go.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #732 on: August 20, 2020, 02:19:56 PM »

Apologize for what?  Also, I'm genuinely not sure how you make the leap from this to the Bernie Bro narrative.

It's the use of patronising tone policing to disingenuously avoid engaging with an argument or revealing one's real/ideological motive. Don't want to argue against universal healthcare? "I'm progressive, but they have mean followers online, so I have a free pass to do a 180 on everything I say I believe in." Don't feel your case for Kennedy - presumably favouritism for sitting House members - will stand up in public? "I'm concerned by the tone of his ads."

If it was completely apolitical, it'd get recognised as concern trolling pretty quickly, but often feels like gaslighting to people who aren't used to the fakery because they're usually trying to be sensitive about offending people thanks to their own experiences and socially liberal values. That makes too many accept this at face value.

It's often mixed up with the worst forms of identity politics and beneath much of it lurks a contempt for people who are justifiably angry about the status quo. At its worst, it equates rude behaviour with the societal mistreatment of the downtrodden, which is usually far more serious.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #733 on: August 20, 2020, 02:24:04 PM »

Markey has decided to take a diplomatic approach:

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #734 on: August 20, 2020, 02:33:27 PM »

The worst part is is that Pelosi has cracked down hard on primaries before. It's obvious hypocrisy.

I try to be objective on primaries, judge them on the merits of the challenger and the incumbent. I supported Omar's challenger for instance, I opposed AOC's challenger, and and I supported neither Jones or Tlaib.

In this race I've made the judgement and as I've stated before I back Markey. Pelosi can't seem to make up her mind on how she views challenges. She's been a good Speaker this term, but she needs to go.

Sigh, all she's doing is endorsing House incumbents, she wants to send a message that she'll always be loyal to her caucus. It's why she pushed Bass for VP among a number of other things. Her loyalty is to her caucus, not the Senate caucus.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #735 on: August 20, 2020, 02:45:29 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2020, 03:08:53 PM by doomer sawx »

Apologize for what?  Also, I'm genuinely not sure how you make the leap from this to the Bernie Bro narrative.

Recent events involving the party ticket have made it clear that the Bernie Bro narrative was used as an abject exploit to bludgeon the left - not out of a genuine attempt to make politics more civil.

As far as I'm concerned, "his supporters are mean" is establishmentese for "he's too far left".
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #736 on: August 20, 2020, 02:47:05 PM »

Sigh, all she's doing is endorsing House incumbents, she wants to send a message that she'll always be loyal to her caucus. It's why she pushed Bass for VP among a number of other things. Her loyalty is to her caucus, not the Senate caucus.

Her loyalty should be to the party, and of course the country. And she should not set standards for others that she is prepared to ignore for herself.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #737 on: August 20, 2020, 02:55:32 PM »

Wait a minute isn't Pelosi to the left of Markey.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #738 on: August 20, 2020, 03:00:10 PM »

That was very kind of Markey to tweet that.

I requested my absentee ballot today, but put the wrong e-mail address on the form by mistake. I really hope I don't go to jail for that. (And yes, I did send another e-mail to the local elections office acknowledging my error).
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #739 on: August 20, 2020, 03:00:34 PM »

Her loyalty should be to the party, and of course the country. And she should not set standards for others that she is prepared to ignore for herself.

That's not how it works though, the Blacklist policy is for the House, not the Senate. Also I love how progressives decide to pretend that the policy didn't exist (and that they hated it) when Engel or Clay were facing primaries, but now it's taken as gospel... Besides, in the unlikely case that a Senator tried to primary a sitting representative, I'm sure Schumer would do the same thing as Pelosi and back his caucus. You want to send a message of loyalty to your caucus, but I do see a double standard here among many progressives, since they clearly didn't care about the blacklist rule during the Engel, Clay, or even the Neal primaries.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #740 on: August 20, 2020, 03:00:46 PM »

Pelosi supports house incumbents, be they Conservadems like Cuellar or radicals like Omar. This is a House vs Senate primary when it comes to endorsements, so it makes sense that the speaker would endorse her House colleague.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #741 on: August 20, 2020, 03:02:58 PM »

Pelosi supports house incumbents, be they Conservadems like Cuellar or radicals like Omar. This is a House vs Senate primary when it comes to endorsements, so it makes sense that the speaker would endorse her House colleague.

But the Establishment!
redjohn

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #742 on: August 20, 2020, 03:04:15 PM »

This is hysterical after all the virtue-signaling over progressives challenging incumbent Democrat dinosaurs. I hope Kennedy's campaign goes down in flames and Pelosi is humiliated.
LtNOWIS

« Reply #743 on: August 20, 2020, 03:05:11 PM »

The party and the country doesn't elect her as Speaker, other House members do. If she wants to demand loyalty from House Democrats, she has to show loyalty to them by protecting them and allowing them to develop their own careers, either inside or outside the House.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #744 on: August 20, 2020, 03:09:14 PM »

An extremely poor decision by the Speaker. Primaries should no longer lead to blacklisting and ostracizing from the Democratic Party. Kennedy's primary is nothing but an opportunist power grab and while I have a lot of respect for his platform and record in the House, I would be downright pissed to see him take down one of the best Senators in the country for no reason. Good to see that Ed Markey's response was measured and respectful, but I would be seething if I were him.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #745 on: August 20, 2020, 03:21:55 PM »

That was very kind of Markey to tweet that.

I requested my absentee ballot today, but put the wrong e-mail address on the form by mistake. I really hope I don't go to jail for that. (And yes, I did send another e-mail to the local elections office acknowledging my error).

MSP, OPEN UP!!
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #746 on: August 20, 2020, 03:48:40 PM »

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #747 on: August 20, 2020, 03:50:35 PM »

That's not how it works though, the Blacklist policy is for the House, not the Senate. Also I love how progressives decide to pretend that the policy didn't exist (and that they hated it) when Engel or Clay were facing primaries, but now it's taken as gospel... Besides, in the unlikely case that a Senator tried to primary a sitting representative, I'm sure Schumer would do the same thing as Pelosi and back his caucus. You want to send a message of loyalty to your caucus, but I do see a double standard here among many progressives, since they clearly didn't care about the blacklist rule during the Engel, Clay, or even the Neal primaries.

Did you read my first post? I said I approach primaries individually. I support some and oppose others based on consistent standards.

Pelosi has no consistent standard.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #748 on: August 20, 2020, 03:51:00 PM »

🐍🐍🐍
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #749 on: August 20, 2020, 04:02:16 PM »

🐍🐍🐍

Yeah, it's disappointing he's essentially stayed out of every Senate primary. He's endorsed in House races, but seems reluctant to endorse against someone who might end up in the same chamber as him.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 55  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies