Which district is more "fiscally progressive," ME-02 or TX-07?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:22:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Which district is more "fiscally progressive," ME-02 or TX-07?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which district is more "fiscally progressive," ME-02 or TX-07?  (Read 689 times)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2021, 08:14:13 PM »

Well?
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 08:18:41 PM »

Isn’t TX-07 a literal majority-minority district?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 08:19:25 PM »

Isn’t TX-07 a literal majority-minority district?

By total population, yes.  Likely not by RV.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 08:44:17 PM »

MargieCat
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 09:04:13 PM »

I live in TX-07.

It was formerly a conservative district with lots of affluent white voters. This seat was held by George HW Bush, Bill Archer, and John Culberson.

Some of Houston's most expensive neighborhoods are in this district, like River Oaks (where Ted Cruz lives), Memorial & Tanglewood (both neighborhoods where members of the Bush family lived).

However, the district has become more diverse over the years as it covers a large area. According to Wikipedia, it is 44.95% white.

Hillary, Beto, Abbott, and Biden won this district.

I would say we are a lot more "fiscally progressive" than ME-02.

Jared Golden is a "blue dog," whereas Lizzie Fletcher is a "New Democrat," the moderate democratic caucus.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 12:30:03 AM »

I live in TX-07.

It was formerly a conservative district with lots of affluent white voters. This seat was held by George HW Bush, Bill Archer, and John Culberson.

Some of Houston's most expensive neighborhoods are in this district, like River Oaks (where Ted Cruz lives), Memorial & Tanglewood (both neighborhoods where members of the Bush family lived).

However, the district has become more diverse over the years as it covers a large area. According to Wikipedia, it is 44.95% white.

Jared Golden is a "blue dog," whereas Lizzie Fletcher is a "New Democrat," the moderate democratic caucus.

Jared Golden supports Medicare for All, while Lizzie doesn't. Not so sure about the logic there.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 04:35:11 AM »

I live in TX-07.

Jared Golden supports Medicare for All, while Lizzie doesn't. Not so sure about the logic there.

At the moment she doesn't support it, now I seriously doubt she would cast the deciding vote against a such bill, besides Fletcher has a fairly progressive record to be honest, for example yesterday she voted for the pro unions stuff bill like all her more left wing colleagues.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 04:37:36 AM »

Considering that even a generic republican like John Cornyn lost TX-7 to a fairly liberal democrat, it is clear that TX-7 is now more fiscally progressive than ME-2.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies