MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:28:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins  (Read 67723 times)
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« on: August 17, 2019, 08:42:27 PM »
« edited: August 18, 2019, 07:37:41 AM by MillennialModerate »

I’ve always found Markey to be bland and annoying. And I’ve always liked Kennedy: I ENTHUSIASTICALLY endorse Kennedy in this race and I’d think he would be favored in a head to head with Markey
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 08:43:06 PM »

Kennedy (and his family) should just go away.

Can’t understand this sentiment. A family that has given ALOT to this country
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 07:38:21 AM »

Anyone who thinks Markey would win this doesn’t understand Massachusetts politics.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 09:48:38 AM »

My prediction is Markey beats Kennedy and Warren wins nomination and Kennedy wins Special.  He is putting his name out in case there is a Special with Warren

I don’t even know where to start.

Warren won’t win the nomination.

Markey beating Kennedy would be an enormous upset.

MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 03:07:32 PM »

I pray that the voters of Massachusetts have enough sense to reject Joe Kennedy III, who would be merely the latest in a family dynasty that has had more than its due, and should be relegated to the past. Political dynasties are not a good thing for this country.

Or pray we have the sense to elect a young, well educated, talented, well spoken man who happens to be from a family that has given so much to this country. If Kennedy runs, he wins. And that’s a good thing.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 09:06:13 PM »

I pray that the voters of Massachusetts have enough sense to reject Joe Kennedy III, who would be merely the latest in a family dynasty that has had more than its due, and should be relegated to the past. Political dynasties are not a good thing for this country.

Or pray we have the sense to elect a young, well educated, talented, well spoken man who happens to be from a family that has given so much to this country. If Kennedy runs, he wins. And that’s a good thing.

Is your brain set on anything other than "Kennedys 😍" mode?

Also please explain what the Kennedy family has given to this country other than maybe some things JFK liked that Johnson wound up improving on?

First, I don’t see anything wrong with admiring a family that has given so much to this country.

Hell, in Great Britain the whole country adores a family for far less.

Anyway (AND IM NOT DENYING THEY HAVE FAULTS) - For starters you have a bunch of examples of a family that could have done nothing but live off of the family fortune but entered into public service (aka politics).

You have Joe Jr volunteering for an extremely dangerous mission in WW2 that killed him.
You have JFK fighting to enlist when he could have used medical reasons to not serve, then he pushed to get an active combat role. Then the PT109 incident where he saved half a dozen members of his crew. The creation of the peace corps and the families constant service to it. The dedication of the Kennedy’s to the Special Olympics ... I could go on and on.

MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 09:15:45 PM »

The amount of people rooting for Kennedy’s defeat is disgusting.

By the way, who here who is on the “LEFT” or “CENTER LEFT” thinks your ideals or values have a better chance of being moved forward via 73 year Senator Ed Markey than via a YOUNG, extremely talented up and coming star that also has an historic, famous name & reputation behind him?
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 09:20:39 PM »

Also please explain what the Kennedy family has given to this country other than maybe some things JFK liked that Johnson wound up improving on?

First, I don’t see anything wrong with admiring a family that has given so much to this country.

Hell, in Great Britain the whole country adores a family for far less.

Anyway (AND IM NOT DENYING THEY HAVE FAULTS) - For starters you have a bunch of examples of a family that could have done nothing but live off of the family fortune but entered into public service (aka politics).

You have Joe Jr volunteering for an extremely dangerous mission in WW2 that killed him. You have JFK fighting to enlist when he could have used medical reasons to not serve, then he pushed to get an active combat role. Then the PT109 incident where he saved half a dozen members of his crew. The creation of the peace corps and the families constant service to it. The dedication of the Kennedy’s to the Special Olympics ... I could go on and on.

MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 04:00:44 AM »

Hell, in Great Britain the whole country adores a family for far less

You have Joe Jr volunteering for an extremely dangerous mission in WW2 that killed him.
You have JFK fighting to enlist when he could have used medical reasons to not serve, then he pushed to get an active combat role. Then the PT109 incident where he saved half a dozen members of his crew. The creation of the peace corps and the families constant service to it. The dedication of the Kennedy’s to the Special Olympics ... I could go on and on.

During World War 2 our royal family stayed in London during the Blitz- Joe Kennedy Sr said that democracy was dead and urged the US not to give any aid to the U.K.- whilst serving as the US ambassador.

A rather ironic story in light of your comment.

I didn’t know he was against aid of any help, I knew he had a general tone of appeasement because he wanted to avoid entering into the war at all costs. Which was wrong, it’s a position JFK disagreed with him on at the age of 22, and throughout his political career.

It’s worth noting a VAST majority of Americans wanted nothing to do with the war until the Japanese declaration via Pearl Harbor, and the fact that Germany declared war on us. And when I say VAST, I mean VAST - from BOTH parties. IN FACT, FDR had to promise during the 1940 campaign that he wouldn’t “send our young boys to any foreign wars” - So Joe Sr’s position wasn’t that far off from the country as a whole. But as far as the family goes I think Joe Jr and JFK’s actions during the war make up for that
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 04:03:13 AM »

Hell, in Great Britain the whole country adores a family for far less

During World War 2 our royal family stayed in London during the Blitz- Joe Kennedy Sr said that democracy was dead and urged the US not to give any aid to the U.K.- whilst serving as the US ambassador.

A rather ironic story in light of your comment.

Double Post

... but uh, #KennedyForSenate
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 06:38:43 PM »

I quite like Markey, and would prefer Kennedy didn’t run. But having seen this thread him running and winning would be satisfying to see all the whingeing about political dynasties.

Opposing someone because they are a Kennedy is infinitely more pathetic than supporting someone because they are a Kennedy.

I don't understand why you would have such a fondness for political dynasties. I am of the viewpoint that political candidates ought to be promoted based upon their qualifications, their knowledge, and their experience, as well as their ability to generate new ideas and to take the initiative on the central issues of the times. In other words, I rate merit over birth. Someone who has worked their way up, played by the rules, and devoted themselves, ought to receive preference over someone who has everything handed to them as a silver platter. As a burgundy avatar, I would have thought that you would understand this.

Exactly. A backbencher congressman with a very weak legislative record running a primary against a staunchly progressive for no other obvious reason than an opportunistic and careerist move to position himself for a presidential run would be laughed at or ripped to shred by most Democrats, if he wasn't a Kennedy. I'm not sure why we should treat him differently just because he happens to have some wonderful ancestors. This primary challenge reeks of arrogance and a sense of entitlement you usually found among people coming from political dynasties.

What happened to our politics being by the people and for the people?

If he’s good enough the people will elect him, if he’s not people won’t. That’s a democracy.

Why should someone “wait their turn” when they feel empowered to make a difference?
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 06:41:14 PM »

The Kennedy name means that Massachusetts will have another senator who gets TV slots, attention, media gigs, fundraising and all the hoopla- it’s up to people to decide if they want that, but the reality is we don’t live in a zero sum vacuum. It’s much like how Marco Rubio got a great deal of attention simply for being Cuban when everyone was obsessed with the Hispanic votes relationship with the GOP.

Bingo. The state is better off with a high profile senator like Joe Kennedy.

Kennedy & Warren - not a bad pair of Senators. In 2024 it might be Kennedy & Moulton/Presley
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2019, 03:33:45 PM »

Yes. Yes. Yes.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2019, 08:05:45 AM »

The Kennedys are perhaps the most toxic political dynasty in America. They have produced nothing but meth addicts, killers, drunks, incompetent politicians, and womanizers.

This post is vile and disgusting.

They’ve produced men who could have lived off of the family fortune and instead pursued military service, insisting on being put in harms way when higher ups wanted them to receive cushy assignments. JFK was a war hero, Joe Jr was a war hero who lost his life in WW2. JFK was a great President, Bobby one of the more compassionate leaders we’ve ever had. Now yes they have had some moments that didn’t look so great but what family is perfect? No family is perfect. But they are a family who has given a lot to this country and your post is repulsive
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2019, 08:06:27 AM »

Love it.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2019, 05:35:33 AM »

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/09/07/poll-kennedy-would-lead-markey-points-head-head-senate-matchup/mt8M4Fd2YQ7JlAIBUhjePP/story.html
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2019, 09:54:54 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2019, 10:00:33 AM by MillennialModerate »

Given that everyone apparently hates political dynasties, it is interesting that all the polling has shown Kennedy far ahead.

I would say America has a whole is pretty torn on the Kennedy’s - Usually along ideological lines. The Left loves them and the right doesn’t. (The exceptions to that rule are JFK & RFK who are looked at in a favorable light by an overwhelming majority of Americans)

Massachusetts is a different story. This state LOVES the Kennedy’s. People say this is a Democratic state. It’s a Kennedy state.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2019, 06:15:37 AM »

Kennedy definitely want in on the Senate, he is close to Van Hollen, too, despite what CCM said about DSCC helping Markey, whom is a party-line vote like boring Ben Cardin.

He definitely thinks the Dems will reclaim the majority; as a result, he is ready for the filibuster reform

This was not especially coherent so I can't engage with the rest of the post, but Markey is nothing like Ben Cardin

They both dont pariicularly stand out much in the Senate, thats why Mfune almost won in 2006, but Rashurn Baker and Jealous decided to run for Gov instead of challenging Cardin in 2018.  Thats why Cardin won.

Kennedy is friends with Van Hollen, whom both of them have ties to the Kathleen Kennedy-Townseed, which is Joe Kennedy's sister. Thats why I am supporting Joe Kennedy

Kathleen Kennedy-Townsend is Joe Kennedy’s AUNT, not sister.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2019, 04:58:03 PM »

Yes! #KennedyForSenate
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 05:35:25 PM »

The fact someone calls themselves a “Democrat” and thinks this way, blows my mind
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2019, 02:43:55 AM »

So Massachusetts may well throw out a top 10 Senator for a legacy whose entire political career has consisted of coasting off of his last name...

So much for “progressive state” MA.

Wait wait. You think Markey is a Top 10 Senator?!?!?

You’re joking right.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2019, 07:25:09 AM »

There's no good reason to throw out Senator Markey, who is a great Senator, and yes, the Kennedy surname is not a good reason.

“no reason to throw him out?”

How in (small D) Democratic is it to tell people to “wait their turn?” - Let the people decide. If roles were reversed all you hippies would be saying “Kennedy feels entitled to that seat, he thinks he’s too good for anyone to challenge him. He doesn’t own that seat, the people do! OMG HEART HEART MARKEY”. But now Kennedy is the challenger and you’re all on him about him being too “pushy”. Please. Save it.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2019, 08:22:03 AM »

Kennedy is right to do this.  Markey is too old, too wed to the Congressional traditions that prevent progress, and is little more than an ineffective showboat.  He's been in Congress since 1976 and what's he got to show for it?  Kennedy, on the other hand, is young, ambitious, and a powerful orator to boot.  Massachusetts deserves a dynamic Senator like Kennedy.  And even if he loses this race, he'll still have plenty of opportunities down the road.

Agreed on all accounts. He’ll be a Senator at some point.

Losing this race would likely end any future Presidential ambitions though.

Also, if he does lose this race then it’ll tell the country Massachusetts isn’t what it once was.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2019, 06:25:33 PM »

You can't say that with a straight face. I mean, come on.

HAHAHAHAAH.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2019, 09:39:41 AM »

Everybody in Massachusetts (or, at least, my corner of Massachusetts) knows that Kennedy is only running because he thinks being named Kennedy entitles him to it. The problem is that a significant sector of the Massachusetts electorate agrees with him that being named Kennedy entitles him to it.

Come on, you have to admit that the Kennedy name would be a genuine asset for Massachusetts in the Senate. Being a Kennedy means that he'll command the national spotlight in a way Markey never could. Is it fair?  Not really.  But if I were a Massachusetts voter I'd want to be represented by a Senator with maximum influence. I'd want to be represented by a Kennedy.

Bingo
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies