Wisconsin Megathread v3: GOP in MASSIVE DISARRAY
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 11:13:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Wisconsin Megathread v3: GOP in MASSIVE DISARRAY
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 115 116 117 [118] 119 120 121 122 123 ... 128
Author Topic: Wisconsin Megathread v3: GOP in MASSIVE DISARRAY  (Read 170383 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2925 on: August 31, 2023, 03:34:09 AM »

If the GOP moves towards impeachment Dems should definitely move quickly to recall Republicans legislators. With a focus on Dan Knodl who barely won his seat in a special earlier this year. If Knodl if recalled Rs lose their supermajority in the Senate and ability to convict and remove any official.

Also, Rob Hutton.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #2926 on: August 31, 2023, 05:48:47 AM »

Yes and in Wisconsin this potentially would have seen us restoring the death penalty in 2006, something we abolished in 1853. Seeing as it passed in an advisory referendum.

That was put on the ballot by the Legislature though. It doesn't have anything to do with the initiative process. What's worse is that Republicans have entrenched themselves into powerful majorities and they're attacking the only possible remedy within the confines of the Wisconsin Constitution. (I intentionally used that phrasing as there is a possible federal remedy through the Guarantee Clause, but that seems very unlikely.)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2927 on: September 06, 2023, 01:06:11 PM »

The NYtime's article said that the gop has decided to remove her from office.

I suppose it's overdramatic right?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2928 on: September 06, 2023, 01:16:16 PM »

Does the WIGOP just want to keep losing? I can't imagine a scenario where they won't pay electorally for this if they go thru with it.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #2929 on: September 06, 2023, 01:29:22 PM »

Does the WIGOP just want to keep losing? I can't imagine a scenario where they won't pay electorally for this if they go thru with it.

Who needs to hold statewide office when you can stretch your 45% of the vote to control 70% of the legislature?

Republican, by philosophy, policy, and practicality, are anti-majoritarian.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2930 on: September 06, 2023, 03:45:10 PM »

Where have you seen this?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #2931 on: September 06, 2023, 04:07:13 PM »

There was a sentence about Democrats conceding impeachment was a foregone conclusion.
CityofSinners
Rookie

« Reply #2932 on: September 06, 2023, 04:43:12 PM »

Dems do have an incentive to play up the odds of impeachment. Good for fundraising and party building.
If there was an realistic chance of preventing new legislative maps, I'm sure republicans would take it. Even if they had to pay an electoral price for that.

I'm much less certain that the GOP will impeach under the current circumstances. There is only a small chance that impeaching will actually stop new maps.
Just talking about it doesn't cost the GOP that much and helps with party unity.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2933 on: September 06, 2023, 04:54:58 PM »

Wisconsin's state legislature is fundamentally undemocratic.
Duke of York

« Reply #2934 on: September 06, 2023, 05:46:36 PM »

There was a sentence about Democrats conceding impeachment was a foregone conclusion.

There isn't a guarantee the Senate will vote to convict and the Majority leader has said they don't have the authority to indefinitely refuse to hold a trial. He even said impeachments should not be used to overturn an election.
walleye26

« Reply #2935 on: September 06, 2023, 07:16:09 PM »

Honestly I wouldn’t put it past the Senate to power grab. LeMaheiu said he won’t move forward with impeaching, but that wouldn’t stop Vos from doing anything, and if they really thought it would benefit them, they would do it. The maps are so rigged that they won’t really pay a price.

It’s a bit of an interesting time.

https://apnews.com/article/wisconsin-supreme-court-justice-impeachment-9b28383d30371c8c109b644f9b9a8d72
Duke of York

« Reply #2936 on: September 06, 2023, 07:25:10 PM »

Honestly I wouldn’t put it past the Senate to power grab. LeMaheiu said he won’t move forward with impeaching, but that wouldn’t stop Vos from doing anything, and if they really thought it would benefit them, they would do it. The maps are so rigged that they won’t really pay a price.

https://apnews.com/article/wisconsin-supreme-court-justice-impeachment-9b28383d30371c8c109b644f9b9a8d72

Except it won't benefit them. If they try to stonewall there will be a lawsuit and they will be ordered to hold a trial. If they convict her Evers picks a replacement. its a no win situation for them and they anger many people in the process.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2937 on: September 06, 2023, 07:35:02 PM »

Except it won't benefit them. If they try to stonewall there will be a lawsuit and they will be ordered to hold a trial. If they convict her Evers picks a replacement. its a no win situation for them and they anger many people in the process.

From what I read if there’s a vacancy before December 1 there’s a special in April.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #2938 on: September 06, 2023, 09:38:33 PM »

If Protasiewicz is impeached she is supposed to be suspended from the bench, but not removed. If republicans can drag out the trial long enough they could theoretically keep their maps for 2024.
Duke of York

« Reply #2939 on: September 06, 2023, 09:46:05 PM »

If Protasiewicz is impeached she is supposed to be suspended from the bench, but not removed. If republicans can drag out the trial long enough they could theoretically keep their maps for 2024.

A lawsuit will be filed and Hagedorn will likely side with the two liberal justices ordering a speedy trial.
redjohn

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #2940 on: September 07, 2023, 05:32:14 AM »

Wisconsin Republicans deserve to be completely shut down for the antics they've engaged in over the past several years. They've cultivated a completely toxic political environment in the state, where even when liberals do win elections they are intimidated against using their people-given mandate to make decisions. Hands down one of the most frustrating state Republican parties in the country.

Wisconsinites deserve a speedy redistricting process, with more neutral maps, and Democratic majorities in both chambers that allow the elected Democratic administration to govern as the people have repeatedly voted for. Who knows what we'll get, but that much is deserved.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2941 on: September 08, 2023, 03:52:40 PM »

First Assembly Republicans have come out saying they will not impeach:

Guy is in the closest thing to a swing district (NE Rock County/Southern Jefferson County), having only won by 247 votes in 2022.
Duke of York

« Reply #2942 on: September 08, 2023, 04:09:51 PM »

First Assembly Republicans have come out saying they will not impeach:

Guy is in the closest thing to a swing district (NE Rock County/Southern Jefferson County), having only won by 247 votes in 2022.

Well at least one member of the caucus is rational.

I think this is only the first of many. Vox might hold the vote anyway only to be embarrassed when its voted down. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2943 on: September 08, 2023, 05:17:49 PM »

WI is already a lost cause, they didn't recruit Gallagher Baldwin is likely to win over Clarke giving the Eday to Biden and Rs have to win WI in order to win the EC college
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2944 on: September 08, 2023, 05:58:24 PM »

They only need a simple majority in the House to impeach it's Senate defections that are key where 2/3rd are needed for removal. I think there will be a lot of unity in the Senate with the marginal seat being much to right than the average House seat.
Duke of York

« Reply #2945 on: September 08, 2023, 06:39:52 PM »

They only need a simple majority in the House to impeach it's Senate defections that are key where 2/3rd are needed for removal. I think there will be a lot of unity in the Senate with the marginal seat being much to right than the average House seat.
I could see the vote failing though. Anyone that voted yes will have this used against them next year.
If only one senator votes no conviction fails. If they stonewall the trial Hagedorn will side with the liberals and order a trial be held.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #2946 on: September 08, 2023, 07:31:26 PM »

Robin Vos and the semi-fascist WIGOP are pulling out all the stops after being defeated resoundingly and repeatedly. How pathetic.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2947 on: September 08, 2023, 10:36:55 PM »

Honestly any Republican legislator who votes to impeach her should be charged with treason
Duke of York

« Reply #2948 on: September 08, 2023, 11:29:25 PM »

Honestly any Republican legislator who votes to impeach her should be charged with treason

Thats not the definition of treason. In Article III, Section 3 of the United States Constitution, treason is specifically limited to levying war against the U.S., or adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfor
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #2949 on: September 09, 2023, 12:26:47 AM »

Thats not the definition of treason. In Article III, Section 3 of the United States Constitution, treason is specifically limited to levying war against the U.S., or adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfor

It should be grounds for Congress to invoke the Guarantee Clause under Article IV though.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 115 116 117 [118] 119 120 121 122 123 ... 128  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies