Wisconsin Megathread v3: GOP in MASSIVE DISARRAY
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 07:13:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Wisconsin Megathread v3: GOP in MASSIVE DISARRAY
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 126 ... 129
Author Topic: Wisconsin Megathread v3: GOP in MASSIVE DISARRAY  (Read 172410 times)
🇺🇦 Purple 🦄 Unicorn 🇮🇱
Purple Unicorn
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3000 on: September 15, 2023, 03:05:31 AM »

Republicans have gone from coping to full-blown fascism now.

It's crazy that this is even possible, but in the past 10 years, Republicans have transformed (= rigged) Wisconsin districts to produce a 70% Republican state legislature - in a state that usually votes 50-50.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3001 on: September 15, 2023, 04:23:16 AM »

It's crazy that this is even possible, but in the past 10 years, Republicans have transformed (= rigged) Wisconsin districts to produce a 70% Republican state legislature - in a state that usually votes 50-50.
Now do Nevada
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3002 on: September 15, 2023, 10:02:44 AM »

Now do Nevada

I must have missed the part where Nevada Democrats took power away from the governor's office when a Republican was elected.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #3003 on: September 15, 2023, 12:30:07 PM »

Now do Nevada

I must have missed the part where Nevada Democrats took power away from the governor's office when a Republican was elected.

People struggle with the idea that mixing up your coalition so you narrowly lose most suburbs and make up the difference in inner cities and rural areas doesn’t bode well when your state gets 3” of rain a year and is basically one giant suburb.
Duke of York

« Reply #3004 on: September 15, 2023, 03:50:08 PM »

so what are the chances of a veto override of the sham restricting bill the Assembly passed?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3005 on: September 15, 2023, 03:57:32 PM »

so what are the chances of a veto override of the sham restricting bill the Assembly passed?

Nil.  It takes 2/3 of each house to override, and Republicans don't have that in the Assembly.
Duke of York

« Reply #3006 on: September 15, 2023, 04:04:30 PM »

Nil.  It takes 2/3 of each house to override, and Republicans don't have that in the Assembly.

Three voted with the Republicans though on the amendments and there are rumors they are trying to get other members to support it.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #3007 on: September 15, 2023, 07:05:29 PM »

Nil.  It takes 2/3 of each house to override, and Republicans don't have that in the Assembly.

Three voted with the Republicans though on the amendments and there are rumors they are trying to get other members to support it.

I can understand a Democratic rep voting to pass it for parochial reasons/personal political considerations, but voting to override the Democratic Governor's veto on this of all issues would certainly be a career-ender - there's just no way the Democratic base in this particular state after the monumental Supreme Court flip forgives that.
Duke of York

« Reply #3008 on: September 15, 2023, 09:24:37 PM »

Nil.  It takes 2/3 of each house to override, and Republicans don't have that in the Assembly.

I can understand a Democratic rep voting to pass it for parochial reasons/personal political considerations, but voting to override the Democratic Governor's veto on this of all issues would certainly be a career-ender - there's just no way the Democratic base in this particular state after the monumental Supreme Court flip forgives that.

Makes sense. I heard the state senate is planning several amendments to appease democrats. I can’t imagine they will be so appealing to make it anything other than a sham.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3009 on: September 16, 2023, 11:57:36 AM »

Now do Nevada

This is not the Nevada megathread. You must be confused.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3010 on: September 16, 2023, 12:38:02 PM »

Now do Nevada

What that user means is that if we were to complain about WI's political geography naturally favoring Republicans, we should also mention NV's political geography naturally favoring Democrats.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #3011 on: September 17, 2023, 06:58:18 AM »

Now do Nevada

What that user means is that if we were to complain about WI's political geography naturally favoring Republicans, we should also mention NV's political geography naturally favoring Democrats.

If the Nevada Republicans want to do something about their geographic disadvantages, they are more than welcome to put in the work Wisconsin Democrats have (i.e. complete foundational reboot, relentless organization and voter engagement, perfect message discipline, stellar candidate recruitment, picking their battles strategically) to get themselves in such a strong position to address it.

I'm being cheeky but the Wisconsin Democrats really are an incredible blueprint for state parties that underperform their statewide potential all throughout the country.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #3012 on: September 17, 2023, 07:47:48 PM »

Now do Nevada

If the Nevada Republicans want to do something about their geographic disadvantages, they are more than welcome to put in the work Wisconsin Democrats have (i.e. complete foundational reboot, relentless organization and voter engagement, perfect message discipline, stellar candidate recruitment, picking their battles strategically) to get themselves in such a strong position to address it.

I'm being cheeky but the Wisconsin Democrats really are an incredible blueprint for state parties that underperform their statewide potential all throughout the country.

Voters in Nevada also have the ability to put constitutional amendments on the ballot through the initiative process, an option the citizens of Wisconsin do not have.

Entrenched majorities that thwart the will of the majority are a major threat to a functioning democratic republic. Tyranny of the majority is always a threat, but it's a known threat and why we try to have safeguards in place. Tyranny of the minority is a sign of something even worse.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3013 on: September 25, 2023, 09:26:13 PM »

Say what you want about the WI GOP, but there is no good argument against this:
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #3014 on: September 26, 2023, 02:40:03 PM »

Say what you want about the WI GOP, but there is no good argument against this:

[SNIP]

It's just a bill right now. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, but yes, you are right that there is no good argument against this. However, it has been Republicans that have been fighting such measures over the past few years. On a finer point, I would ask why wait until the Monday before Election Day. A large number of ballots can a lot longer than that to process. I don't have a lot of good things to say about Florida, but they pretty much know how to get things done. Keep in mind there's also a difference between processing and actually counting the ballots.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3015 on: September 26, 2023, 02:52:44 PM »

So where do we stand? Has anyone filed a suit for the congressional maps yet?
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3016 on: September 27, 2023, 03:26:49 PM »

Don’t think so
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3017 on: October 03, 2023, 11:28:50 AM »

In case anyone is curious about where the impeachment thing is going.

TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3018 on: October 03, 2023, 11:40:58 AM »

Don’t think so

Reports indicate that the congressional map that was adopted was the one proposed by Democrats, and that best Democrats could hope for in WI under current conditions is 2 solid D seats and 2 R-leaning swing seats.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3019 on: October 03, 2023, 01:17:31 PM »

Don’t think so

Reports indicate that the congressional map that was adopted was the one proposed by Democrats, and that best Democrats could hope for in WI under current conditions is 2 solid D seats and 2 R-leaning swing seats.

It’s really not hard to draw a 4-4 map.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3020 on: October 04, 2023, 11:48:50 AM »

So does it look like Janet will be impeached? Honestly, if I were the WI GOP, I'd go for it - it's not like they have anything to lose.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #3021 on: October 04, 2023, 12:23:26 PM »

So does it look like Janet will be impeached? Honestly, if I were the WI GOP, I'd go for it - it's not like they have anything to lose.
They can draw whatever maps they want, voters can only take so much before they revolt.
Duke of York

« Reply #3022 on: October 04, 2023, 12:26:40 PM »

And you'd piss off a lot of people causing them to vote against you.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3023 on: October 04, 2023, 12:53:30 PM »

Almost all GOP voters, if not all of them, would see this as a positive, not a negative.
Duke of York

« Reply #3024 on: October 04, 2023, 12:55:57 PM »

Almost all GOP voters, if not all of them, would see this as a positive, not a negative.
a majority of the state is against impeachment. There is no way they'd win the states electoral votes and at the very least lose their supermajority in the Senate.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 126 ... 129  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies