Wisconsin Megathread v3: GOP in MASSIVE DISARRAY
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:18:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Wisconsin Megathread v3: GOP in MASSIVE DISARRAY
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126 127 128
Author Topic: Wisconsin Megathread v3: GOP in MASSIVE DISARRAY  (Read 165755 times)
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3025 on: October 04, 2023, 02:33:11 PM »
« edited: October 04, 2023, 02:41:22 PM by RussFeingoldWasRobbed »

So does it look like Janet will be impeached? Honestly, if I were the WI GOP, I'd go for it - it's not like they have anything to lose.
With this+Clarke possibly being the senate nominee, I think Steil/Van Orden might be more likely to lose than we think even if the maps remain the same
And you'd piss off a lot of people causing them to vote against you.

Almost all GOP voters, if not all of them, would see this as a positive, not a negative.
a majority of the state is against impeachment. There is no way they'd win the states electoral votes and at the very least lose their supermajority in the Senate.
With this+Clarke possibly being the senate nominee, I think Steil/Van Orden might be more likely to lose than we think even if the maps remain the same

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3026 on: October 04, 2023, 02:38:26 PM »

So does it look like Janet will be impeached? Honestly, if I were the WI GOP, I'd go for it - it's not like they have anything to lose.

Almost all GOP voters, if not all of them, would see this as a positive, not a negative.
a majority of the state is against impeachment. There is no way they'd win the states electoral votes and at the very least lose their supermajority in the Senate.

This would take Wisconsin from the more conservative tossup to the most liberal. Might even switch with Michigan.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3027 on: October 04, 2023, 02:51:50 PM »

Folks, remember who you're talking to.  In his universe, events can only help Republicans, not hurt them.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3028 on: October 04, 2023, 04:15:20 PM »

The only thing they gain from impeachment is the ability to delay the inevitable. Evers will get to make the replacement appointment. Maybe at best they can delay thew maps until 2026. Do they really want to compete in new fair maps during a potential Trump midterm?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3029 on: October 04, 2023, 07:19:42 PM »

Why the f[inks] are you seriously arguing with SnowLabrador?
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #3030 on: October 04, 2023, 07:45:31 PM »

I mean, this is what the WI GOP is currently capable of, in regards to impeachments (in this case, against Meghan Wolfe, current administrator of the Wisconsin Elections Commission):

Quote from: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
The impeachment resolution, put forward last month by Republican Reps. Janel Brandtjen of Menomonee Falls, Scott Allen of Waukesha, Elijah Behnke of Oconto, Ty Bodden of Hilbert and Chuck Wichgers of Muskego, claims Wolfe was directly responsible for decisions made by elections commissioners and falsely ties her to debunked election lies.

All 15 impeachment articles contain misleading or false claims about how elections administration works in Wisconsin.

The five Republicans who put forth the impeachment resolution did not respond to a detailed request for comment asking them to explain their claims.

Article is here, though I'm pretty sure it'll have a paywall (I'm a subscriber so I'm not totally sure).

Since Janet hasn't even really been able to do her job yet, I don't see WIGOP being able to do any better in making a case for her impeachment. Vos is also running up against issues with trying to run his impeachment panel in private.

As for the early processing absentee ballots bill, it's got some poison pills. Note that it doesn't say municipalities may count absentee ballots early, but that they must. There's some other weirdness, too. This Dane county clerk explains it briefly:

https://twitter.com/badachie/status/1706758678471159818
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3031 on: October 05, 2023, 10:37:00 AM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3032 on: October 05, 2023, 01:59:05 PM »

This is the first assassination attempt on him, is it?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3033 on: October 05, 2023, 07:26:23 PM »

Vos says he won’t move on impeachment. Likely can’t get the votes/thinks he’ll get that party destroyed over it.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3034 on: October 05, 2023, 09:31:09 PM »

Vos says he won’t move on impeachment. Likely can’t get the votes/thinks he’ll get that party destroyed over it.

Sounds like that was about Wolfe, not Judge Janet.

Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3035 on: October 05, 2023, 09:33:55 PM »

Not hugely surprising, since Vos has distanced himself politically from the Janel and the other Big Lie Republicans.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3036 on: October 05, 2023, 09:35:28 PM »

Not hugely surprising, since Vos has distanced himself politically from the Janel and the other Big Lie Republicans.

Yeah, Vos doesn't care about that, compared to Janet being a threat to his majority.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3037 on: October 06, 2023, 10:59:53 AM »

It would be glorious if they lost both chambers pf the Legislature regardless
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #3038 on: October 06, 2023, 02:00:00 PM »

It’s possible, but hard as Democrats are so densely packed in the state
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3039 on: October 06, 2023, 05:43:13 PM »

RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3040 on: October 06, 2023, 09:03:42 PM »

It’s possible, but hard as Democrats are so densely packed in the state
If you overreach enough, the voters will revolt
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #3041 on: October 06, 2023, 10:19:10 PM »

Why should she recuse herself? There is no logic here, but that seems pretty typical for Republicans now.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3042 on: October 07, 2023, 08:42:18 AM »

Why should she recuse herself? There is no logic here, but that seems pretty typical for Republicans now.

She has the audacity to win her election.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3043 on: October 07, 2023, 09:03:25 AM »

I genuinely don't think they are going to try to impeach her.

They don't have the votes for it and they cannot let this trial last for ever as one of the three republican judges would likely side with the democrats to force the senate trial to happen.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3044 on: October 07, 2023, 09:26:24 AM »

I genuinely don't think they are going to try to impeach her.

They don't have the votes for it and they cannot let this trial last for ever as one of the three republican judges would likely side with the democrats to force the senate trial to happen.

Not to mention that impeaching her would be one way to absolutely nationalize this issue going into the Presidential election, and I don't think that'd be a good look for the GOP.

That's one way to make every judicial race in the future hyper-partisan and high-turnout.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3045 on: October 07, 2023, 11:27:26 AM »

Appendix B of Protasiewicz's order in the motion to recuse is the full text of Prosser's letter to explain why he denied a request for recusal. You can read all of Protasiewicz's order here.

This line, though, feels like the core of her statement:

Recusal decisions are controlled by the law. They are not a matter of personal preference. If precedent requires it, I must recuse. But if precedent does not warrant recusal, my oath binds me to participate. As Justice Alito has emphasized: "When there is no sound reason for a Justice to recuse, the Justice has a duty to sit." That is true even when a case is controversial, or when my decision may upset those who would rather I step aside. Respect for the law must always prevail. Allowing politics or pressure to sway my decision would betray my oath and destroy judicial independence.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3046 on: October 09, 2023, 11:06:27 AM »

Hearing for the case will be on 11/21.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3047 on: October 09, 2023, 04:17:51 PM »

Another statement from Vos, no mention of impeachment, but rather they will appeal to the US Supreme Court.

Duke of York

« Reply #3048 on: October 09, 2023, 04:24:25 PM »

Another statement from Vos, no mention of impeachment, but rather they will appeal to the US Supreme Court.

What does he think the court will do? This case will be decided under the state constitution. After a  similar redrawing done in Pennsylvania an appeal was rejected by Alito basically saying this is a state matter and there is no federal question here. I don't see him having a different viewpoint here.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3049 on: October 09, 2023, 10:54:59 PM »

What does he think the court will do? This case will be decided under the state constitution. After a  similar redrawing done in Pennsylvania an appeal was rejected by Alito basically saying this is a state matter and there is no federal question here. I don't see him having a different viewpoint here.

It almost sounds like they are going to challenge the future decision to the United States Supreme Court on the grounds that she should have recused.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126 127 128  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies