Abortion rights amendment will be on FL ballot this year
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:39:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Abortion rights amendment will be on FL ballot this year
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Abortion rights amendment will be on FL ballot this year  (Read 1785 times)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2024, 08:33:23 AM »

Well, they lost.
I’m pro choice but trying to skew elections with ballot initiatives because your party itself is wholly unelectable is scummy af

Interesting view.  I'm pro-life and pro-referendum.  I think it's really not a good look to make up a reason to keep something off the ballot on a technicality.  I also suspect this is the abortion amendment that will finally be defeated.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2024, 03:57:57 PM »

Donald Trump refusing to say how he'll vote on this amendment says all I need to know.  Trump and MAGA don't care about ending abortion and won't use one ounce of political capital on it.  We need a party that is solely focused on social conservatism, not secular, amoral cultural conservatism.
Steve from Lambeth
Greece

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2024, 01:57:46 PM »

Donald Trump refusing to say how he'll vote on this amendment says all I need to know.  Trump and MAGA don't care about ending abortion and won't use one ounce of political capital on it.  We need a party that is solely focused on social conservatism, not secular, amoral cultural conservatism.

If abortion is a state issue, then why are Republicans abandoning state ballot measures on abortion? Seriously - we could have a California-style hellstorm every time one of these comes about (there's a relatively large contingent of noteworthy Republicans and sympathisers in every state) but we just get pro-choice dribble instead. I asked this question in the AZ-SEN thread and feel as though the point is worth repeating here:

...can Republicans please prepare for the upcoming ballot measure, and get their names out there? Ballotpedia shows a full Republican slate on record as being opposed to Ohio Issue 1 last year, but Republican presence was seriously hit-or-miss in the 2022 votes and I cannot recall any coverage whatsoever of any serious anti-abortion campaigning in Ohio or elsewhere, even if just for the ballot measure's sake rather than to help (or hurt) the candidate.

For reminder's sake, the pro-abortion side on each Reproductive Freedom vote so far has been driven by massive media attention, full-throated Democratic support, a broad donor base, and some of the most effective campaigning in recent ballot-measure history; the anti-abortion side has been driven by a handful of dedicated think tanks and Catholic dioceses with loads of cash to spare.

If nothing changes, then the Yes side in Arizona will be playing EA Sports FC 25 while the No side plays tic-tac-toe. This keeps happening in state after state after state, no matter what some Republicans say about abortion being a state issue. I am sure that almost everyone will either want to find out, or fear finding out, what happens when a No campaign puts just as much energy behind itself as the Yes campaign does.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2024, 07:40:27 AM »

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2024, 10:38:18 AM »

IMO the most notable thing here is that only 57% believe a 6 week abortion limit is "too strict" and only 43% believe a 15 week abortion limit is "too strict."  The amendment with a roughly 24 week viability limit needs 60% to pass and they can't even find 60% opposition to a 6 week limit!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2024, 07:46:58 PM »

IMO the most notable thing here is that only 57% believe a 6 week abortion limit is "too strict" and only 43% believe a 15 week abortion limit is "too strict."  The amendment with a roughly 24 week viability limit needs 60% to pass and they can't even find 60% opposition to a 6 week limit!

Trash state.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2024, 10:00:35 PM »

I feel good about this failing to get 60% unless Trump vocally advocates for a yes vote.  If he stays neutral, it should fail.
Steve from Lambeth
Greece

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2024, 12:30:42 AM »

I feel good about this failing to get 60% unless Trump vocally advocates for a yes vote.  If he stays neutral, it should fail.

100% pro-farm no matter what
ExtremeDemocrat
Modadmins
Atlas Superstar

Re: GMO labelling law will be on CA ballot this year
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 09:15:52 PM »

I feel good about this failing to get 50% unless Bush vocally advocates for a yes vote.  If he stays neutral, it should fail.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2024, 06:20:54 AM »

My guess is that it's 54-46 in favor of the amendment, so that means it doesn't pass.  In future elections, Democrats in the most competitive state house and state senate races can fight for a change in the laws as part of their platform.

If Republicans are upset that lots of people don't want their abortion laws, then maybe they should reevaluate the laws they're writing.  The Dobbs ruling created a brand new environment: reproductive issues will be weighed by swing voters when deciding whether to vote for the Democrat or the Republican.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2024, 07:56:01 AM »

If this fails, won't they just come back in 2026 with a 12 or 15 week referendum?  Or would the activists consider that an unacceptable compromise?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2024, 09:54:31 PM »

If this fails, won't they just come back in 2026 with a 12 or 15 week referendum?  Or would the activists consider that an unacceptable compromise?

That’s not a compromise, it’s a surrender and selling out women throughout the state.  The better option is to just keep getting it on the ballot again every two years until it eventually passes
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2024, 01:48:56 AM »

That’s not a compromise, it’s a surrender and selling out women throughout the state.  The better option is to just keep getting it on the ballot again every two years until it eventually passes

Skill and Chance is extremely wedded to the idea of some sort of grand compromise on abortion around 12-15 weeks being implemented so that's what they'll wishcast for.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies