Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:54:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 638 639 640 641 642 [643] 644 645 646 647 648 ... 1169
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 912370 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16050 on: October 10, 2022, 12:49:44 PM »

Once again Russia has escalated the war they illegally started, and done so by inflicting massive damage on civilians.  But when Ukraine defends himself, a bunch of idiots will say that Ukraine is the warmongering country keeping the war going.  And when Putin once again saber-rattles with nuclear weapons, they'll say it's America and Ukraine's fault for not surrendering (a.k.a. "accepting Putin's peace terms").
Well, when you're going for the high road deploying suicide bombers isn't probably the brightest idea to court public opinion.

The Ukrainians don't need to court public opinion because every thinking person is already on their side.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16051 on: October 10, 2022, 01:21:30 PM »

morale is very high:

n00bs
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16052 on: October 10, 2022, 01:22:59 PM »

Once again Russia has escalated the war they illegally started, and done so by inflicting massive damage on civilians.  But when Ukraine defends himself, a bunch of idiots will say that Ukraine is the warmongering country keeping the war going.  And when Putin once again saber-rattles with nuclear weapons, they'll say it's America and Ukraine's fault for not surrendering (a.k.a. "accepting Putin's peace terms").
Well, when you're going for the high road deploying suicide bombers isn't probably the brightest idea to court public opinion.

Ukraine attacks means of logistical transport,
Woodbury supports attacks on playgrounds.  Time for Woodbury to go.

Let's not ban him. Obviously there are enough people this phucked that they can't be ignored. We do so at our own peril. The world we live in is very sick.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16053 on: October 10, 2022, 01:30:55 PM »

I don't agree with SirWoodbury's takes on this, but I'm giving him sympathy recommends anyway. Y'all can get very mindless about him. That is all.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #16054 on: October 10, 2022, 01:33:55 PM »

Yall don't have Woodbury on mute? Wildin
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #16055 on: October 10, 2022, 01:36:43 PM »

I know, I have no sympathy for anyone who still engages with all his leading questions. The people that are owning SirWoodbury with facts and logic, or whatever it is they think they're doing, are a million times more obnoxious than SirWoodbury himself could ever hope to be.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #16056 on: October 10, 2022, 01:46:12 PM »

Of active users I think I have only Hades and bilaps on ignore.

Woodsbury is probably just some stupid kid who thinks that fascism is edgy or something.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #16057 on: October 10, 2022, 02:06:47 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2022, 03:07:16 PM by Torie »

India, which has walked a middle path between Russia and Ukraine urging a negotiated end to the war, said it was “deeply concerned at the escalation of the conflict in Ukraine, including targeting of infrastructure and deaths of civilians.” India’s foreign ministry called for an “immediate cessation of hostilities” and offered help to “support all such efforts aimed at de-escalation.”

China called for a de-escalation of the fighting in Ukraine, repeating its position that the sovereignty of all countries should be respected without criticizing Russia for invading its neighbor.

Guys, if you are serious, as opposed to just wasting bandwidth, you know what to do. Cut way back on your oil purchases from Putin to defund the terrorist organization.

This does not compute.  I you read the statements from India and PRC both are saying
a) We are not taking sides in this
b) We want the fighting to stop ASAP

So an active way to action this view would be
a) Stop buying Russian oil which funds the Russian war machine like you suggested
AND
b) Demand the collective West stop military and economic aid to Ukraine which drives the Ukraine war machine

If it were to do one it would have to do the other or else it would not be "We are not taking sides"

It sees both are taking the passive version
a) Asking for peace talks to start without preconditions ASAP
b) Continue doing what is in the best interests for the two powers which is to continue to buy Russian energy on the cheap.  And at the same time continue economic transactions with Ukraine.

Of course it computes. If the twin enablers keep buying Russian oil because the price is right, their yipping about ending the conflict and concern about destroying infrastructure and civilians is just wasting bandwidth, and they are not serious. And the idea of a ceasefire so that Russia can consolidate and digest and try to make something of their ragtag array of conscripts and convicts as a precursor to their next course of predation on Ukraine is nutter. That is just playing into the hands of the war criminal.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16058 on: October 10, 2022, 02:10:29 PM »

I know, I have no sympathy for anyone who still engages with all his leading questions. The people that are owning SirWoodbury with facts and logic, or whatever it is they think they're doing, are a million times more obnoxious than SirWoodbury himself could ever hope to be.

This is in general how I feel about discourse in these kinds of threads and it frustrates me to no end that so many hot-button-issue threads get derailed by one or two obnoxious trolls posting provocative, edgy, stupid crap.  It's not the stupid crap itself that derails the thread, it's the six dozen white knights who are all chomping at the bit to be the one who dunks on Fuzzy the hardest, or finally makes OSR see the light, or receives an apology and mea culpa from SirWoodbury, or whatever.  It's just never gonna happen!  But we get pages and pages of people responding to the trolls, which diverts the thread into a rabbit hole of whatever hill the troll chose to die on.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #16059 on: October 10, 2022, 02:18:08 PM »

I'd really like to see a current poll. I guess 99% in Ukraine is unfavorable of Russia now, and at least 85% favorable of the US. Mission accomplished, Vlad!
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #16060 on: October 10, 2022, 02:52:16 PM »

I don't agree with SirWoodbury's takes on this, but I'm giving him sympathy recommends anyway. Y'all can get very mindless about him. That is all.

Chamberlain says what
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16061 on: October 10, 2022, 03:15:10 PM »

Chamberlain says what
I see you are evoking the rather black-and-white view of Chamberlain vs Churchill that was in vogue in the decades after World War II but fails to do the former man justice. Thanks for enlivening my afternoon. Shalom.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #16062 on: October 10, 2022, 03:29:05 PM »

He shouldn't even be here. He never fulfilled his pledge to leave the forum for a year when Ossoff/Warnock won.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16063 on: October 10, 2022, 03:29:47 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #16064 on: October 10, 2022, 03:34:11 PM »

The end of a good thread about the a journalist's visit to Lyman:
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #16065 on: October 10, 2022, 03:57:45 PM »

Note to the anti-war lefties:

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16066 on: October 10, 2022, 04:15:58 PM »

The end of a good thread about the a journalist's visit to Lyman:

The second image above, regarding his visit back to his abandoned home and the pet cat he left behind ...
It really makes one think, that these are ordinary people like you and me.
Their whole lives turned upside-down because of some crazy f**k in Moscow.
He went from loving his cat and community, to wearing a military uniform to shoot others who are killing and destroying his nation.
Awful.
Sad
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16067 on: October 10, 2022, 04:22:56 PM »

Sorry if this was already posted, but I found this YouTube video, which is a WSJ analysis of the the Crimea bridge explosion.

The video highlights a boat or some other floating vehicle on the water, underneath the bridge, when the explosion went off. They say that this "boat" may have been the method used to damage the bridge, and was not the truck driving on the bridge. Thus damage assessment may indicate the explosion occurred from underneath the bridge.

If interested, here is the video ...

Ashley Biden's Diary
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16068 on: October 10, 2022, 04:33:48 PM »

What exactly prevents Ukraine from launching retaliatory attacks on Russian cities? Are they afraid to do so because of Russia's nukes, do they simply not have the weapons, or do they not have the military infrastructure to utilize such weapons if they were given them?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #16069 on: October 10, 2022, 04:36:35 PM »

This is in general how I feel about discourse in these kinds of threads and it frustrates me to no end that so many hot-button-issue threads get derailed by one or two obnoxious trolls posting provocative, edgy, stupid crap.  It's not the stupid crap itself that derails the thread, it's the six dozen white knights who are all chomping at the bit to be the one who dunks on Fuzzy the hardest, or finally makes OSR see the light, or receives an apology and mea culpa from SirWoodbury, or whatever.  It's just never gonna happen!  But we get pages and pages of people responding to the trolls, which diverts the thread into a rabbit hole of whatever hill the troll chose to die on.

I am 100% pro Ukraine so why did you bring me up in this thread
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16070 on: October 10, 2022, 04:39:48 PM »

What exactly prevents Ukraine from launching retaliatory attacks on Russian cities? Are they afraid to do so because of Russia's nukes, do they simply not have the weapons, or do they not have the military infrastructure to utilize such weapons if they were given them?

The weapons they have are limited, it'd be bad PR and there are more effective uses for these weapons than turning off the lights for a few hours in Kyiv or Moscow.
Omega21

« Reply #16071 on: October 10, 2022, 04:46:21 PM »

The weapons they have are limited, it'd be bad PR and there are more effective uses for these weapons than turning off the lights for a few hours in Kyiv or Moscow.

Plus, it could be used by Putin to rally the population.

Currently, he is still afraid (rightfully) to fully mobilize and wage an official war, as this could wake up the politically demobilized masses, that his regime depends on.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16072 on: October 10, 2022, 04:51:06 PM »

Plus, it could be used by Putin to rally the population.

Currently, he is still afraid (rightfully) to fully mobilize and wage an official war, as this could wake up the politically demobilized masses, that his regime depends on.

This was true earlier, but I doubt it is still a significant part of the Ukranian military's calculations. The "partial mobilisation" is open-ended enough to allow Russia to mobilise any number their logistical/training/equipment situations can handle; the open-ended expansion of Russian territory already allows the deployment of conscripts to the front.

Maybe the anger would improve Russian morale on the frontline and possibly lead to more donations, but the wartime economy arrived months ago and full mobilisation has been declared in all but name.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16073 on: October 10, 2022, 05:01:19 PM »

Ukraine is getting closer to Svatove
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #16074 on: October 10, 2022, 05:12:53 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2022, 05:19:57 PM by Middle-aged Europe »

At a few occassions Ukraine has carried out attacks on Russian territory, but these were limited to military targets just beyond the border - most notably the Millerovo air base and a fuel depot in Belgorod. The purpose of these attacks were to limit Russia's ability to wage war in Ukraine.

A pure retaliatory strike against civilian population centers would be something new entirely and as you have already pointed out, would mean for Ukraine to give up the moral high ground.
Pages: 1 ... 638 639 640 641 642 [643] 644 645 646 647 648 ... 1169  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies