COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 07:14:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 184 185 186 [187] 188 189 190 191 192 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 267921 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4650 on: July 18, 2020, 01:47:19 PM »

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4651 on: July 18, 2020, 02:26:05 PM »

New York has set the example to everyone on how to handle the coronavirus properly:

Fauci holds up New York as model for fighting coronavirus — 'They did it correctly'

Kudos to Governor Andrew Cuomo!
Watch Del Tachi use this to smear Fauci as an evil partisan hack.
While Cuomo definitely didn’t do everything right, he is infinitely better than the Sunbelt Trio and Kemp the Killer.

Kemp, Abbott, Ducey, DeSantis, they all had a huge advantage compared with Cuomo: unlike him, they knew what they were facing. And they still managed to spectacularly f**k everything up.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4652 on: July 18, 2020, 02:40:26 PM »

New York has set the example to everyone on how to handle the coronavirus properly:

Fauci holds up New York as model for fighting coronavirus — 'They did it correctly'

While Cuomo definitely didn’t do everything right, he is infinitely better than the Sunbelt Trio and Kemp the Killer.

Fauci probably could and would have praised Hogan or DeWine if he had wanted to give it the appearance of bipartisanship.... then again, it isn't his really job to always give credit to "both sides!" and there's definitely nothing praiseworthy about DeSantis or Kemp.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #4653 on: July 18, 2020, 02:43:36 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2020, 02:57:35 PM by Fmr. Gov. NickG »

Fauci probably could and would have praised Hogan or DeWine if he had wanted to give it the appearance of bipartisanship.... then again, it isn't his really job to always give credit to "both sides!" and there's definitely nothing praiseworthy about DeSantis or Kemp.

Why would you praise DeWine?  Cases in Ohio have more than tripled in the last month with no sign of slowing down.  They had a new record number of cases just yesterday.

North Carolina saw new record cases today.  Cases in Pennsylvania, Virginia, Illinois, and Minnesota have all approximately doubled over the last few weeks. 

If you are defining success by keeping cases low, it’s tough to say that anyone outside of New York and New Jersey have done a good job, and those states still have by far the highest death rates, which is probably a better metric anyway.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #4654 on: July 18, 2020, 03:28:54 PM »

Why would you praise DeWine?  Cases in Ohio have more than tripled in the last month with no sign of slowing down.  They had a new record number of cases just yesterday.

North Carolina saw new record cases today.  Cases in Pennsylvania, Virginia, Illinois, and Minnesota have all approximately doubled over the last few weeks. 

If you are defining success by keeping cases low, it’s tough to say that anyone outside of New York and New Jersey have done a good job, and those states still have by far the highest death rates, which is probably a better metric anyway.

And this, of course, is what happens when you have as incompetent a federal response as we're seeing. There are barely any states that can be judged to actually be doing well, mostly just states that are doing less terribly.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4655 on: July 18, 2020, 06:53:13 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2020, 06:59:54 PM by Calthrina950 »

Cuomo's greatest error was to send coronavirus patients into nursing homes, and I think he should have acted somewhat sooner than he did. But he's maintained a very calm and confident posture throughout this pandemic, and New York City would be far worse off then it is now without his leadership.

As for Colorado, today was my first day back at work since Polis issued his mask mandate on Thursday. And I am astonished by the dramatic effect which it has had. Before the order was issued, roughly half of all customers were not wearing masks. Today, at least 90% were. I still had to deal with a number of maskless customers, and there were some others that I saw in the store, but they are in the definitive minority now. Polis should have made masks mandatory back in May, when Denver and Boulder did so. We would probably be in a much better situation now if he had done so.

Nevertheless, I am pleasantly surprised that most people are obeying the mandate, especially given that El Paso County is a hotbed of anti-government sentiment. It seems like even the ardent Trumpists are adhering to it. But it's unfortunate that it took an order from the Governor to finally compel mask wearing, after months of voluntary appeals failed.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4656 on: July 18, 2020, 07:12:49 PM »

What did you do about the customers who weren't wearing any?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4657 on: July 18, 2020, 07:19:08 PM »

What did you do about the customers who weren't wearing any?

I didn't do anything, as I didn't want trouble with them or my supervisors. My store didn't have anyone posted at the entrances to enforce the mask mandate, although they did have a table with free masks provided, and a large poster stating that masks were now mandatory. I've said before that there are only two ways to effectively enforce it: to either have someone at the entrances turning back maskless customers, or to simply refuse service to those who are not wearing them.

We'll see how things change, especially as the Sheriff of El Paso County, and the Sheriffs of Teller, Weld, and Elbert Counties, have already said that they will not be issuing citations to anyone who violates the mask order. Law enforcement simply doesn't have the resources to deal with every mask violation. But the vast majority of people are adhering to the mandate, so it may not be that serious of a problem.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4658 on: July 18, 2020, 07:43:02 PM »

Cuomo's greatest error was to send coronavirus patients into nursing homes, and I think he should have acted somewhat sooner than he did. But he's maintained a very calm and confident posture throughout this pandemic, and New York City would be far worse off then it is now without his leadership.

As for Colorado, today was my first day back at work since Polis issued his mask mandate on Thursday. And I am astonished by the dramatic effect which it has had. Before the order was issued, roughly half of all customers were not wearing masks. Today, at least 90% were. I still had to deal with a number of maskless customers, and there were some others that I saw in the store, but they are in the definitive minority now. Polis should have made masks mandatory back in May, when Denver and Boulder did so. We would probably be in a much better situation now if he had done so.

Nevertheless, I am pleasantly surprised that most people are obeying the mandate, especially given that El Paso County is a hotbed of anti-government sentiment. It seems like even the ardent Trumpists are adhering to it. But it's unfortunate that it took an order from the Governor to finally compel mask wearing, after months of voluntary appeals failed.
That’s what phone alerts do.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4659 on: July 18, 2020, 08:08:52 PM »

That’s what phone alerts do.

You're right. My uncle's wife told me the other day that she got a text notification on her phone, with the Governor's mask mandate. That's probably how many people got it. Moreover, on I-25 and other major thoroughfares, the traffic announcement signs, which typically carry Public Awareness Announcements, had one stating that "Masks are mandatory in public spaces in Colorado." It's impossible for you to miss those unless if you're not paying attention.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #4660 on: July 18, 2020, 09:02:34 PM »

"85 babies under the age of 1 have tested positive for the coronavirus in Nueces County TX."
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #4661 on: July 18, 2020, 09:18:43 PM »

I don't think gyms should close. Lots of people gained weight during quarantine. Also, being in good shape helps your immunity. That's one area where I think the cure is worse than the disease. Members should forced to maintain strict social distancing and wipe down their equipment after use. And the gyms should be thoroughly cleaned every day.

1) There are other ways to exercise without going to a gym
2) You can lose weight by watching your diet
3) In case you haven’t heard, there is no “immunity” to this yet. Perfectly otherwise healthy people have died.
4) In case you haven’t noticed by now, a not so insignificant number of Americans cannot be trusted to do the right thing.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4662 on: July 18, 2020, 10:19:34 PM »

Commercial gyms are, for the most part, worse than useless.

If you're trying to lose weight, all you need to do is eat less (very high priority) and do cardio (much lower priority).  Gyms put huge emphasis on cardio (since that's what they sell), which tricks you into thinking that doing cardio is much higher priority than counting calories.  And then because there's so much friction around the experience of going to the gym (drive there, get dressed, warm up, exercise, shower, get dressed again, drive back) you end up totally demotivated and don't do your cardio, destroying your entire plan.  If you'd just made a realistic plan that didn't involve gym cardio in the first place you'd be in a much better spot.

If you're trying to gain muscle, it's even worse.  The only efficient way to gain muscle is with barbells (dumbbells are ok).  But gyms will pack an entire floor full of iso machines and then have one lonely squat rack covered in exercise bands gathering dust in the corner.  It's ridiculous, but it's for their own liability.  Their personal trainers don't want to teach you how to do barbell exercises because they're dangerous.  So they show you how to use machines for high-rep workouts, where you'll get tuckered out but barely gain any muscle at all.  Go watch any YouTube video with professional or college athletes at their workout facilities, and there won't be any damn machines, there'll just be a bunch of barbells and racks.

Keep 'em closed.  Good riddance.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4663 on: July 18, 2020, 10:24:54 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 7/18 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

New - Substituting the Δ Change metric as of 7/13 on dates starting from 7/5:
ΔW Change: Comparisons of Weekly Day-to-day Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Comparing the numbers to the same day of last week, are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE: What's the overall change in the total?

Older Numbers (Hidden in spoiler mode to make the post more compact)

7/5: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 2,982,928 (+47,158 | ΔW Change: ↑16.32% | Σ Increase: ↑1.61%)
  • Deaths: 132,569 (+251 | ΔW Change: ↓11.93% | Σ Increase: ↑0.19%)

7/6: <M>
  • Cases: 3,040,833 (+57,905 | ΔW Change: ↑29.47% | Σ Increase: ↑1.94%)
  • Deaths: 132,979 (+410 | ΔW Change: ↑19.88% | Σ Increase: ↑0.31%)

7/7: <T>
  • Cases: 3,097,084 (+56,251 | ΔW Change: ↑22.15% | Σ Increase: ↑1.85%)
  • Deaths: 133,972 (+993 | ΔW Change: ↓26.06% | Σ Increase: ↑0.75%)

7/8: <W>
  • Cases: 3,158,734 (+61,650 | ΔW Change: ↑18.33% | Σ Increase: ↑1.99%)
  • Deaths: 134,854 (+882 | ΔW Change: ↑30.47% | Σ Increase: ↑0.66%)

7/9: <Þ>
  • Cases: 3,219,999 (+61,265 | ΔW Change: ↑7.04% | Σ Increase: ↑1.94%)
  • Deaths: 135,822 (+968 | ΔW Change: ↑40.90% | Σ Increase: ↑0.72%)

7/10: <F>
  • Cases: 3,291,786 (+71,787 | ΔW Change: ↑34.44% | Σ Increase: ↑2.23%)
  • Deaths: 136,671 (+849 | ΔW Change: ↑37.82% | Σ Increase: ↑0.63%)

7/11: <S>
  • Cases: 3,355,646 (+63,860 | ΔW Change: ↑41.34% | Σ Increase: ↑1.94%)
  • Deaths: 137,403 (+732 | ΔW Change: ↑245.28% | Σ Increase: ↑0.54%)

7/12: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 3,413,995 (+58,349 | ΔW Change: ↑23.73% | Σ Increase: ↑1.74%)
  • Deaths: 137,782 (+379 | ΔW Change: ↑51.00% | Σ Increase: ↑0.28%)

7/13: <M>
  • Cases: 3,479,483 (+65,488 | ΔW Change: ↑13.10% | Σ Increase: ↑1.74%)
  • Deaths: 138,247 (+465 | ΔW Change: ↑13.41% | Σ Increase: ↑0.28%)

7/14: <T>
  • Cases: 3,545,077 (+65,594 | ΔW Change: ↑16.61% | Σ Increase: ↑1.89%)
  • Deaths: 139,143 (+896 | ΔW Change: ↓9.77% | Σ Increase: ↑0.65%)

7/15: <W>
  • Cases: 3,616,747 (+71,670 | ΔW Change: ↑13.61% | Σ Increase: ↑2.02%)
  • Deaths: 140,140 (+997 | ΔW Change: ↑16.25% | Σ Increase: ↑0.72%)

7/16: <Þ>
  • Cases: 3,695,025 (+78,278 | ΔW Change: ↑27.77% | Σ Increase: ↑2.16%)
  • Deaths: 141,118 (+978 | ΔW Change: ↑1.03% | Σ Increase: ↑0.70%)

7/17 (Yesterday): <F>
  • Cases: 3,770,012 (+74,987 | ΔW Change: ↑4.46% | Σ Increase: ↑2.03%)
  • Deaths: 142,064 (+946 | ΔW Change: ↑11.43% | Σ Increase: ↑0.67%)

7/18 (Today): <S>
  • Cases: 3,833,271 (+63,259 | ΔW Change: ↓0.94% | Σ Increase: ↑1.68%)
  • Deaths: 142,877 (+813 | ΔW Change: ↑11.07% | Σ Increase: ↑0.57%)
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4664 on: July 18, 2020, 10:51:32 PM »

I don't think gyms should close. Lots of people gained weight during quarantine. Also, being in good shape helps your immunity. That's one area where I think the cure is worse than the disease. Members should forced to maintain strict social distancing and wipe down their equipment after use. And the gyms should be thoroughly cleaned every day.

1) There are other ways to exercise without going to a gym
2) You can lose weight by watching your diet
3) In case you haven’t heard, there is no “immunity” to this yet. Perfectly otherwise healthy people have died.
4) In case you haven’t noticed by now, a not so insignificant number of Americans cannot be trusted to do the right thing.

By immunity I just meant a better immune system which helps you fight off the virus, and thus a greater likelihood of milder symptoms.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4665 on: July 18, 2020, 10:53:14 PM »

Commercial gyms are, for the most part, worse than useless.

If you're trying to lose weight, all you need to do is eat less (very high priority) and do cardio (much lower priority).  Gyms put huge emphasis on cardio (since that's what they sell), which tricks you into thinking that doing cardio is much higher priority than counting calories.  And then because there's so much friction around the experience of going to the gym (drive there, get dressed, warm up, exercise, shower, get dressed again, drive back) you end up totally demotivated and don't do your cardio, destroying your entire plan.  If you'd just made a realistic plan that didn't involve gym cardio in the first place you'd be in a much better spot.

Cardio is a lot more important for heart and brain health than losing weight, but it's still important.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #4666 on: July 19, 2020, 01:33:46 AM »

Death rate isn’t exactly spiralling with the second wave
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4667 on: July 19, 2020, 08:29:17 AM »

Like I said much earlier in the thread, this virus is a completely different beast when the governors stop hotboxing 90-year-olds with it.

In a nursing home resident, death from the virus is a near-inevitability. In a healthy young person, it's a rare complication.

But what worries me is that we're going to settle into a groove of 800 deaths a day or so and just go "Eh, that's fine".
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4668 on: July 19, 2020, 08:34:22 AM »

Like I said much earlier in the thread, this virus is a completely different beast when the governors stop hotboxing 90-year-olds with it.

In a nursing home resident, death from the virus is a near-inevitability. In a healthy young person, it's a rare complication.
This is somewhat true generally, but a dangerous and gross oversimplification.

But what worries me is that we're going to settle into a groove of 800 deaths a day or so and just go "Eh, that's fine".
Agreed.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #4669 on: July 19, 2020, 09:12:41 AM »

In summer people are out and about. In Australia, we have had no Coronavirus community transmission until winter in our coldest city Melbourne.

Something about Vitamin D has always meant the flu season is rarely in the hotter months.

Societies with densely populated areas are not going to avoid it. I get that, but the lower death rate in the US is an anomaly.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #4670 on: July 19, 2020, 09:18:29 AM »

Are the nursing homes of Florida and Texas kept under some measures to avoid exposures? otherwise I would have thought Florida would be going by NY numbers by know considering the amount of nursing homes and retirement homes there
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #4671 on: July 19, 2020, 11:09:15 AM »

A larger proportion of asymptomatic COVID cases in kids may actually be worse; an ostenibly healthy child is more likely to be in close contact with their parents, grandparents, or extended family. Couple this with relatively poor hygiene and the results could be catastrophic.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #4672 on: July 19, 2020, 01:22:34 PM »

Isn’t this still the first wave?

I thought they were saying this was still the first wave.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4673 on: July 19, 2020, 01:28:40 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2020, 02:20:03 PM by Arch »

Isn’t this still the first wave?

I thought they were saying this was still the first wave.

The first wave never ended. That's correct. We managed to contain it for a while, plateaued, and then proceeded to "re-open" and kindle a second burst of exponential growth.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #4674 on: July 19, 2020, 01:45:17 PM »

Oxford reporting that they are on track for a September release of a COVID-19 vaccine.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 184 185 186 [187] 188 189 190 191 192 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies