Early Voting thread.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:27:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Early Voting thread.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 47
Author Topic: Early Voting thread.  (Read 46879 times)
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: November 04, 2022, 03:18:32 PM »

Lombardo I am 100% sure about. There is no path for Sisolak. I am pretty much set on Laxalt as well unless we see some huge wave of Mail randomly.

Big thank you to Steve Sisolak for mailing ballots to low-propensity Trumpists!

VOY A VOTAR

I think we're going to find that certain expansions of voting do help Republicans on net.  I still think that all mail-in helps Democrats, but we are probably at the point where longer in-person early voting helps Republicans in most places, and auto-registration likely helps them in places like Nevada or Appalachia.

Unless they're hyper-targeted to black people, voter suppression laws probably mostly work against the Republican Party's interest nowadays too.   
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #951 on: November 04, 2022, 03:30:01 PM »

Ralston keeps using the arbitrary day of today as the definitive "end of early vote" which continues to baffle me. Yes, that may have been the case in 2018, but we are still getting mail updates (and no more in person updates) after tonight.

Dems gained 4K in mail in the last update, Reps gained 2.5K in in-person. Say that happens again tonight, Clark firewall will jump another 1.5K. That's it for in person though.

Then we have Sat night, Sun night, and Mon night mail updates that could net Dems at least another 10-15K for their firewall. (plus anything that arrives after that)

I get that he's used to the end of "in person early voting" being the "end of the early vote" in general, but it's not this year, so I don't get why he's using that as a marker.

As you've already mentioned, it's not even like mail voting ends on Election Day: any ballot postmarked by Election Day and received by CoB on Saturday, 11/12 will also be counted. In a universal mail balloting system, you'd think nobody prognosticating in NV ever met procrastinating young people and/or Latinos & Asians before!

As an old white guy I'm glad somebody else said it Smiley
Junior Chimp

« Reply #952 on: November 04, 2022, 03:36:04 PM »

This is going well beyond bad for Democrats in Florida

Certainly the Governors Race will be called at Poll Closing (8pm ET).
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #953 on: November 04, 2022, 03:44:38 PM »

No doubt Democrats are getting absolutely crushed in Florida but in the larger scheme of things the margin does not really matter at least on a statewide or Federal level.  If the electorate is R+1 or R+10 Republicans will win the Gov, Sen, and 20 of 28 House seats. We have all known this since the redistricting maps passed this spring.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #954 on: November 04, 2022, 05:30:55 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2022, 08:03:33 PM by Eraserhead »

Maybe by Fox. CNN really won't call anything at poll closing these days unless it's like a 20 point blowout.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #955 on: November 04, 2022, 05:42:30 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2022, 12:41:40 AM by Kamala's side hoe »

Ralston keeps using the arbitrary day of today as the definitive "end of early vote" which continues to baffle me. Yes, that may have been the case in 2018, but we are still getting mail updates (and no more in person updates) after tonight.

Dems gained 4K in mail in the last update, Reps gained 2.5K in in-person. Say that happens again tonight, Clark firewall will jump another 1.5K. That's it for in person though.

Then we have Sat night, Sun night, and Mon night mail updates that could net Dems at least another 10-15K for their firewall. (plus anything that arrives after that)

I get that he's used to the end of "in person early voting" being the "end of the early vote" in general, but it's not this year, so I don't get why he's using that as a marker.

As you've already mentioned, it's not even like mail voting ends on Election Day: any ballot postmarked by Election Day and received by CoB on Saturday, 11/12 will also be counted. In a universal mail balloting system, you'd think nobody prognosticating in NV ever met procrastinating young people and/or Latinos & Asians before!

As an old white guy I'm glad somebody else said it Smiley

Hot take: an R overperformance in NV is more likely to come from low turnout among Latino, Asian, and <35 voters than from an R surge among these groups.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #956 on: November 04, 2022, 08:12:51 PM »

I really hope it's apples and oranges in Nevada because the early vote looks pretty bleak.   Dems will be lucky to hold the legislature at this rate (if the numbers are comparable to previous elections).

The Dem margin in early votes is down to 5,200 votes total, that's horrible.
MikeIrvine
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -5.74

« Reply #957 on: November 04, 2022, 08:28:45 PM »

I really hope it's apples and oranges in Nevada because the early vote looks pretty bleak.   Dems will be lucky to hold the legislature at this rate (if the numbers are comparable to previous elections).

It is, but in person early voting is over. There's a few days of mail ballots to beef up that margin, plus anything postmarked by election day is counted still
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #958 on: November 04, 2022, 09:42:04 PM »

It is, but in person early voting is over. There's a few days of mail ballots to beef up that margin, plus anything postmarked by election day is counted still

Exactly; the Clark firewall was 47K when all was said and done in 2018 early vote. By Tuesday, it could definitely approach 40K depending on what comes in this weekend.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #959 on: November 04, 2022, 09:44:01 PM »

Exactly; the Clark firewall was 47K when all was said and done in 2018 early vote. By Tuesday, it could definitely approach 40K depending on what comes in this weekend.
Lol
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #960 on: November 04, 2022, 09:45:01 PM »

Lol

I'm sorry that you don't like actual facts and data!
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #961 on: November 04, 2022, 09:49:29 PM »

Lol

I'm sorry that you don't like actual facts and data!

How is a “could be” a fact?
roxas11
United States

« Reply #962 on: November 04, 2022, 09:56:28 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2022, 10:00:55 PM by roxas11 »

When it comes to a state as unpredictable as Nevada its foolish to assume that we can predict the ultimate outcome of that election based on these current numbers

For example, back in 2010 everybody also believed that Harry raid was doomed since most polls showed him losing to his Republican opponent leading up to the election. In fact the polls in Nevada was even worse for the Dems than they are right now because at the end not a single poll showed harry Reid beating Sharron angle yet on election day he shocked everybody by winning by more than 5 points

The biggest take away from that election for me is that know one truly knows what's going to happen in Nevada until all of the votes are actually counted...

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #963 on: November 04, 2022, 10:04:56 PM »

When it comes to a state as unpredictable as Nevada its foolish to assume that we can predict the ultimate outcome of that election based on these current numbers

For example, back in 2010 everybody also believed that Harry raid was doomed since most polls showed him losing to his Republican opponent leading up to the election. In fact the polls in Nevada was even worse for the Dems than they are right now because at the end not a single poll showed harry Reid beating Sharron angle yet on election day he shocked everybody by winning by more than 5 points

The biggest take away from that election for me is that know one truly knows what's going to happen in Nevada until all of the votes are actually counted...

Ralston knew Reid was able to win so…yeah bad comparison.
SCNCmod

« Reply #964 on: November 04, 2022, 10:34:36 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2022, 10:48:17 PM by SCNCmod »

Most of the polls that were conducted the last week in Oct  during Cortez-Masto's last election, also showed her losing. Then the polls conducted the first several days in Nov, showed her pull back ahead- Then she won by 3%.

So we will have to see what the polls released between Now & Monday say about her chances on Tuesday.

It's worth noting that Nevada is also the most Pro-Choice of all of the States with close Senate races (excluding NH- which i do not think will be close). So NV could be a state where abortion has more of an impact than polls are ahowing.

BTW- this is I think CCM's latest tweet (I think its an online ad... but actually would prob be effective to run as a TV ad:

MikeIrvine
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -5.74

« Reply #965 on: November 05, 2022, 12:07:56 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2022, 12:27:10 AM by MikeIrvine »

Dems added to the firewall. Between 29 and 30k now. Interesting notes he added is that Dem margins are increasing later as compared to 2020 and there are a few days to pad the lead. Depending on how the weekend and Monday break...we could end up around 37-38k before election day and still have late mail ballots.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #966 on: November 05, 2022, 12:24:23 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2022, 12:48:13 AM by guys the votes are in the mail »

Georgia

Day 19: Final Day of AIP (+ABM) Voting: 243,901 voters cast ballots Friday, for a grand total of 2,505,079 votes.

AIP: Very strong day for Democrats. Those following the numbers day-to-day can clearly see why. Lots of youngs storming the polls at the last-minute, as well as non-whites, first-time voters and a solid close-out performance among females.

ABM: A hair over 10k votes today were ABM, for a total of 216,187 thus far. This has been roughly the number received each day for the past week. We're 7,000 short of the final 2018 count with four days to go. Additionally, 79.00% of 273,630 valid Georgia ABMs have been returned thus far, effectively already reaching 2018's final percentage return rate.

Breakdown of Friday's voters:

Code:
130352 	White	53.44%
73528 Black 30.15%
6029         Asian 2.47%
6907     Latino 2.83%
27085 Other 17.99%

139719 Female 57.29%
103175 Male        42.30%
1007          Other       0.41%

Total votes thus far:

Code:
1437750	White	57.39%
730971 Black 29.18%
47497 Asian 1.90%
47311       Latino 1.89%
241550 Other 9.64%

1391917 Female 55.56%
1106863 Male        44.18%
6299        Other 0.26%
SCNCmod

« Reply #967 on: November 05, 2022, 03:18:24 AM »

It seems like I remember that in past elections, 32% Black vote was sort of the needed threshold.  Does the current numbers indicate lower Black turnout... or is the White turnout down also (meaning is other higher than prior years)? 

...not sure if 32% was overall- or early voters.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #968 on: November 05, 2022, 03:21:45 AM »

It seems like I remember that in past elections, 32% Black vote was sort of the needed threshold.  Does the current numbers indicate lower Black turnout... or is the White turnout down also (meaning is other higher than prior years)? 

i think it was overall votes.
prag_prog
United States

« Reply #969 on: November 05, 2022, 03:37:09 AM »

I don't think it was 32%. In 2020 November general election, Black vote % was around 28.5% after early voting. Whereas it was slightly higher around 30% for the Senate runoffs. Current Black Vote % is somewhere between 2020 general election and 2021 GA Senate runoffs. Also if you look at race, the Other % has increased a lot in recent years. That's why a better comparison would be White Vote % - Black Vote % than just looking at Black Vote %
prag_prog
United States

« Reply #970 on: November 05, 2022, 03:41:51 AM »

Some good points mentioned in this twitter thread. It does seem like younger voters are reverting back to pre-covid habit of returning ballots closer to the election. A big question mark is whether younger voters (18-29 group) are gonna also revert back to voting on E-Day like they used to do pre-covid

prag_prog
United States

« Reply #971 on: November 05, 2022, 04:04:59 AM »

Turnout in AZ06 so far looks quite interesting. State of Arizona is R+4 registration wise and so far Dems turnout in AZ is 43% and Reps turnout is 36.4%. AZ06 district is also R+4 registration wise but so far Dems turnout is 51% and R's turnout is 35.5%. Crazy overperformance from Dems in this particular district. I wonder why there is such big increase in Dems turnout in this particular district when compared to rest of the state. Is this an older heavily white district ? That's the only reason which atleast makes some sense to understand such high turnout.
bilaps
« Reply #972 on: November 05, 2022, 06:03:49 AM »

Clark firewall stands at 29,2k votes. Add around 400 from Washoe.

Clark firewall is around 7% which is not good for Dems.

Waiting for full rural numbers today.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #973 on: November 05, 2022, 06:22:51 AM »

BTW- this is I think CCM's latest tweet (I think its an online ad... but actually would prob be effective to run as a TV ad:

Jimmy Kimmel actually says something funny and useful for once. Good to see!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #974 on: November 05, 2022, 06:29:23 AM »

The problem with Nevada (Clark specifically, which as a single county I believe comprises a greater share of a statewide electorate than any other in the country) is how independents go: not a lot of great comparable data-points for this election.

In theory and independent of this election/climate, the Clarke firewall could be 50k and Dems could still lose; inversely, the firewall could be 15k and Dems could still win. If indies go 10 points in favor of either party, that creates a 20-point margin gap among 30% of the electorate across 75% of the state = (20 x 0.3 x 0.75): that's a 4.5 point margin differential. In a state like NV, that's fairly huge: the difference between the 2018 wins versus statistical ties or the difference between close D wins and outright R wins.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies