Early Voting thread.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:09:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Early Voting thread.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47
Author Topic: Early Voting thread.  (Read 46149 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: November 06, 2022, 12:49:25 AM »

Obviously Republicans weren’t going lead in the early vote unless you expected them to win by 15+ points, so I’m not sure what’s causing the confusion right now. I’m also not sure who exactly expected CCM to be "doomed going into election day" based on the early vote — even I expect Laxalt to win by absolutely crushing it on election day and not by leading in the early vote. People here realize that you can count the number of states in which Trump won the early vote in 2020 on one hand, right?

The bottom line is that there is no way of knowing what the actual Democratic raw vote advantage (Cortez Masto over Laxalt, Sisolak over Lombardo, etc.) in early vote is given that no one in this thread has an answer to the following questions:

1) How are independents breaking?
2) How many defections are there on the Democratic side?

Cortez Masto and Sisolak leading by 40k over Republicans in the early vote doesn’t mean much if they’re losing independents by 20k — this still means they’re finished on election day.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1026 on: November 06, 2022, 12:54:35 AM »

Don't disagree with much here. Pretty much the only certain thing we have right now is that this race is close, and polling strongly suggests the winner will prevail by a margin of less than two points. Reasonable people can disagree on who is likelier to win between the two.
UncleSam

« Reply #1027 on: November 06, 2022, 01:30:12 AM »

Obviously Republicans weren’t going lead in the early vote unless you expected them to win by 15+ points, so I’m not sure what’s causing the confusion right now. I’m also not sure who exactly expected CCM to be "doomed going into election day" based on the early vote — even I expect Laxalt to win by absolutely crushing it on election day and not by leading in the early vote. People here realize that you can count the number of states in which Trump won the early vote in 2020 on one hand, right?

The bottom line is that there is no way of knowing what the actual Democratic raw vote advantage (Cortez Masto over Laxalt, Sisolak over Lombardo, etc.) in early vote is given that no one in this thread has an answer to the following questions:

Cortez Masto and Sisolak leading by 40k over Republicans in the early vote doesn’t mean much if they’re losing independents by 20k — this still means they’re finished on election day.
This is mostly right, but you're missing one thing - Dems aren't ahead by 40k over Rs in the early vote. They're ahead by ~9k at most - Ralston said that Dems had a ~500 vote advantage by EOD Friday (when the EV centers closed). This means that the mail counted over the weekend and Monday represents the entire Democratic early voting advantage.

I think Dems will probably need at least one or two more big days like today to pull up to where they have been in recent cycles. Definitely possible with Monday's drop potentially being two days' worth of mail coming in, so we will see. Plus there is always the potential for a lot of late mail ballots to arrive between election night and Friday.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1028 on: November 06, 2022, 04:55:27 AM »

This is mostly right, but you're missing one thing - Dems aren't ahead by 40k over Rs in the early vote. They're ahead by ~9k at most - Ralston said that Dems had a ~500 vote advantage by EOD Friday (when the EV centers closed). This means that the mail counted over the weekend and Monday represents the entire Democratic early voting advantage.

I think Dems will probably need at least one or two more big days like today to pull up to where they have been in recent cycles. Definitely possible with Monday's drop potentially being two days' worth of mail coming in, so we will see. Plus there is always the potential for a lot of late mail ballots to arrive between election night and Friday.

Pretty sure his 40k figure references the simple partisan surplus of Ds over Rs (perhaps just in Clark, or statewide; "the firewall"; that's generally what Ralston et al always use when referring to Nevada EV), and not an assessment of true candidate preference/margin.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1029 on: November 06, 2022, 09:06:44 AM »

And again, we don't really know how Indies are breaking. Based on the last few days, it seems like the younger voters who are more likely identified as "Other" are increasing their vote share. So Indies may be a wash between younger voters and typical Independents who may break more for Laxalt.
bilaps
« Reply #1030 on: November 06, 2022, 09:59:38 AM »

Let me go on a limb here and say that Independent voters aren't going to vote for Dems in this environment.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1031 on: November 06, 2022, 10:04:30 AM »

Let me go on a limb here and say that Independent voters aren't going to vote for Dems in this environment.

I think you're missing what people are saying - In Nevada in particular, most new/younger voters are automatically registered as Other since 2020. So it's possible that a lot of those "other" voters are younger voters, which could tilt the "Independent" margins.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1032 on: November 06, 2022, 11:18:59 AM »

bilaps
« Reply #1033 on: November 06, 2022, 01:54:54 PM »

I think you're missing what people are saying - In Nevada in particular, most new/younger voters are automatically registered as Other since 2020. So it's possible that a lot of those "other" voters are younger voters, which could tilt the "Independent" margins.

Well, thank God, election is around the corner so we'll see who got it wrong.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1034 on: November 06, 2022, 04:16:26 PM »

Younger. Voters. Aren't. Voting.

Unaffiliated voters in Nevada who have cast votes so far are 18% under 40. At this point in 2020, this number was 33%.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1035 on: November 06, 2022, 04:33:20 PM »

Unaffiliated voters in Nevada who have cast votes so far are 18% under 40. At this point in 2020, this number was 33%.

At this point in 2020, there were over 1M votes vs way less than that now. Not an apples to apples comparison at all. Also someone from NV can correct me if I'm wrong, but the AVR having people designated as "Other" as default may have started post-Nov 2020 election. But I'm not exactly sure of that.

Who know is if young voters will really come out; but we've gotten tons of evidence that shows most of the young ones that *are* coming out are waiting til Election Day, like they did pre-COVID.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1036 on: November 06, 2022, 04:43:02 PM »

A bright spot for Dems continues to be New Mexico - they're approaching nearly 50% of their total 2020 turnout and it's still nearly D+17 by reg.
Duke of York

« Reply #1037 on: November 06, 2022, 08:57:22 PM »

Its always amazing to me how much they complain yet they can't get off Reddit or TikTok to be bothered to register or vote.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1038 on: November 06, 2022, 08:59:59 PM »

I'm gonna need the Washington experts to come in for this- TargetEarly is still showing Dems "modeled" a strong lead right now.

2 days to election “modeled”
2018: 1.64M (54.2% D, 35.5% R)
2020: 3.14M (54.5% D, 31.9% R)
2022: 1.53M (56.9% D, 30.1% R)

About the same turnout as 2018 at this point, but D+26 compared to D+19 in 2018 at this time? That just seems way too good to be true.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1039 on: November 06, 2022, 09:01:08 PM »

Aren't early voters traditionally older usually though? 2020 was an exception due to Covid, no reason to expect those patterns to continue. Not that that isn't a rather worrying sign, although I'd be more interested in seeing the total numbers of all parties than just unaffiliated.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1040 on: November 06, 2022, 09:38:11 PM »

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1041 on: November 06, 2022, 09:53:29 PM »

The fact he needs scotch and is turning off Twitter DEFINITELY tells us which way he thinks this is going…and I trust him.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1042 on: November 06, 2022, 09:55:11 PM »

The fact he needs scotch and is turning off Twitter DEFINITELY tells us which way he thinks this is going…and I trust him.

Watch him say they’re all too close to call. Wink
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #1043 on: November 06, 2022, 10:00:48 PM »

He’s a big Bills fan — their loss today was scotch-worthy.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1044 on: November 06, 2022, 10:14:38 PM »

Are we getting NV early vote today?
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #1045 on: November 06, 2022, 10:18:04 PM »

No mail, no in person voting. If we get anything it probably won't be much.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1046 on: November 06, 2022, 10:19:13 PM »

https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/crystal-ball-says-cortez-masto-hangs-on-sisolak-doesnt-and-dems-retain-two-of-three-house-seats
Zache

« Reply #1047 on: November 06, 2022, 10:20:07 PM »

Really surprised he thinks CCM wins.
philly09

« Reply #1048 on: November 06, 2022, 10:21:00 PM »

Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1049 on: November 06, 2022, 10:22:56 PM »