California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:05:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 64
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 66991 times)
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: September 30, 2023, 08:48:03 PM »

If Lee actually were appointed, do people think she would win the primary? It seems to me like CA voters are pretty sick of having an octogenarian senator. And appointed Senators lose primaries all the time.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1001 on: September 30, 2023, 08:54:37 PM »

At this point he should just appoint Schiff as a f*** you to Lee.

He won't appoint Schiff he wants to run for Prez in 28 and Blks and Latinos saved him during recall, Elder got 9 percentage pts of the blk vote but was polling very well before Eday

But, Harris and Moore are gonna be the nominees Newsom will lose MI and SC in 28 to Harris and James Harrison is almost guaranteed to run in SC for open Scott seat

That's why I have SC D it's changing like NC
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1002 on: September 30, 2023, 08:57:53 PM »

If Lee actually were appointed, do people think she would win the primary? It seems to me like CA voters are pretty sick of having an octogenarian senator. And appointed Senators lose primaries all the time.
Also, at best, Lee will only be able to serve one full term.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1003 on: September 30, 2023, 09:01:15 PM »

There's the one option that hasn't been discussed, perhaps because it doesn't make sense with the public info: Lee gets appointed but also ends her campaign.  Seems unlikely yes? But would make sense if you view the campaign of an 80-year-old to be born more from the desire for retirement than advancement.  And if Lee herself views things this way, of course she would fight for the appointment,  cause she doesn't consider winning to be an absolute necessity like those seeking advancement.  And because she's fighting for it, her allies will, cause they assume advancement as the primary motivation.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1004 on: September 30, 2023, 09:03:13 PM »

Yeah again if I were in CA this whole episode would push me from being a Porter-Lee swing voter to more into Porter’s camp.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1005 on: September 30, 2023, 09:04:13 PM »

Also, at best, Lee will only be able to serve one full term.

Yes, she would she will place second but Porter is obviously weaker than Schiff she would almost certainly beat Porter in a runoff but it would be iffy with Schiff
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1006 on: September 30, 2023, 09:25:03 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2023, 09:29:05 PM by Хahar 🤔 »

I think your bias in favor of Lee is clouding your analysis of the race a bit.

It could be, but if you can find anywhere that I've shifted my view of what's important in the race then I'd like to see it. Even before Lee entered the race it was clear in my view that the most important thing to win an election in California is institutional support, and I don't know why I would change that view now. The number of prominent Democrats who have come out and said that they believe that Barbara Lee should be appointed shows the strength of their support for her. What reason would there be to change my view of the race now: a handful of polls taken before the start of the campaign wherein most of the voters are undecided? Unless there's real campaigning or important figures start shifting allegiance, there's nothing but noise.

Do you have reason to believe that California voters are sick of having an octogenarian senator, or is that just how you would personally feel? The last time they had a choice, California voters overwhelmingly reelected an 85-year-old to the Senate, and in the 2020 Democratic primary the top two candidates by a huge margin were Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden. I'm sure you know that age is rarely a barrier to being elected in this country and I'm not sure why it seems to you that all of a sudden things would be different in California.

My view is that Lee has a strong chance of winning the election even without the benefit of incumbency and that being an incumbent would significantly help her chances. Clearly others agree or else there wouldn't be any resistance to her being appointed.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1007 on: September 30, 2023, 09:28:07 PM »

It could be, but if you can find anywhere that I've shifted my view of what's important in the race then I'd like to see it. Even before Lee entered the race it was clear in my view that the most important thing to win an election in California is institutional support, and I don't know why I would change that view now. The number of prominent Democrats who have come out and said that they believe that Barbara Lee should be appointed shows the strength of their support for her. Why would I change my view of the race now, a handful of polls taken before the start of the campaign wherein most of the voters are undecided?

Do you have reason to believe that California voters are sick of having an octogenarian senator, or is that just how you would personally feel? The last time they had a choice, California voters overwhelmingly reelected an 85-year-old to the Senate, and in the 2020 Democratic primary the top two candidates by a huge margin were Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden. I'm sure you know that age is rarely a barrier to being elected in this country and I'm not sure why it seems to you that all of a sudden things would be different in California.

My view is that Lee has a strong chance of winning the election even without the benefit of incumbency and that being an incumbent would significantly help her chances. Clearly others agree or else there wouldn't be any resistance to her being appointed.
Yes. High risk of death in first or second term.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1008 on: September 30, 2023, 09:50:10 PM »

It could be, but if you can find anywhere that I've shifted my view of what's important in the race then I'd like to see it. Even before Lee entered the race it was clear in my view that the most important thing to win an election in California is institutional support, and I don't know why I would change that view now. The number of prominent Democrats who have come out and said that they believe that Barbara Lee should be appointed shows the strength of their support for her. Why would I change my view of the race now, a handful of polls taken before the start of the campaign wherein most of the voters are undecided?

Yes. High risk of death in first or second term.

Yeah Pelosi, Waters, Eleanor Holmes Norton, Biden, Trump are all in the same age group, lol it's about health not just ages, my mom died at 66 and my Aunt is 85 yrs old her sister, Lee has no disease right now

My mom could of survived she could of gotten chemo, she refuses
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1009 on: September 30, 2023, 10:02:58 PM »

Will age be a factor in who is elected?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1010 on: September 30, 2023, 10:06:39 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2023, 10:15:44 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

No, because Lee isn't sick, Feinstein should of resigned, it may for people voting against Lee anyways but to Latinos, blks and Married white women whom may be in same age group whom are voting for Porter or Lee, it won't. To white men, just like Harris is not well liked by White Evangelical men like Redban

As I said Latina women will gradually move towards Lee away from Schiff

We are mortals, Jesus had miracles behind him that's why he was questioning as a mortal but everyone will die but disease is a factor and Lee is out campaign with unions and isn't sick

Lee is only 77vyrs old and if she died, one of her two sons  can succeed her anyways , Tony or Carl Lee will be on the ballot

Maria Shriver should of run for this seat she is a saint in CA but she wont
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #1011 on: September 30, 2023, 10:34:14 PM »

I don't think it would make her the obvious favorite. I do think it would at least boost her enough to put her on par with Schiff and Porter, making it a true 3-way race.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1012 on: September 30, 2023, 10:44:02 PM »

Newsom is gonna Appoint Lee and Bass, Harris, Waters, and Breed are unavailable, he is running for Prez in 28 and needs blk vote although he only has a 25 percentage pts chance to beat Harris
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1013 on: September 30, 2023, 10:56:49 PM »

Would Lee retire after one term if elected?
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #1014 on: September 30, 2023, 11:38:50 PM »

LA Times compiled a list of names Newsom might appoint.

They are:
  • Angela Glover Blackwell
  • Lateefah Simon
  • Mayor London Breed
  • Secretary Shirley Weber
  • Laphonza Butler
  • Controller Malia Cohen
  • Judge Leondra Kruger (who was under consideration for Biden for SCOTUS)

Not interested in an appointment are:
  • Mayor Karen Bass
  • Supervisor Holly Mitchell
  • Congresswoman Maxine Waters
  • Oprah Winfrey
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1015 on: September 30, 2023, 11:40:36 PM »

London Breed doesn't want to be Sen she wants to stay as Mayor
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #1016 on: September 30, 2023, 11:44:46 PM »

I don't know if Newsom likes Shirley Weber anymore. He sued her during the recall election for not having his party listed on the ballot, if I'm not mistaking

It also doesn't seem like Breed is interested, and she also is against the idea of a caretaker.

Keep an eye on Angela Glover Blackwell. She's old enough to where she might not mind being a caretaker.

It's going to have to be an older person, that will be a caretaker. No young ambitious person wants to be a senator for one year and not be able to use that incumbency to run again.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1017 on: September 30, 2023, 11:55:40 PM »

There’s a very good chance that if Lee wins, she also dies in office less than a decade from Feinstein. Imagine two Senators who held the same seat at different times pulling a Clair Engle.

Eh, you don't know who dies in office until it happens. Somehow Strom Thurmond didn't die in office.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1018 on: October 01, 2023, 12:03:43 AM »

My reason is that Lee is currently polling in single digits in every poll.
And the discourse within the party about having octegenarians in office right now is much different than it was 5 years ago.

If Newsome appointed Lee contingent on her not running for the full term, that would really be the best option. But it seems like Lee has not intention of doing that.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1019 on: October 01, 2023, 12:06:44 AM »

Schiff and Porter are the only candidates who can finish a full second term.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1020 on: October 01, 2023, 12:39:31 AM »

Hilarious how Barbara Lee is somehow too old when she's 4 years younger than Biden.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1021 on: October 01, 2023, 01:12:31 AM »

Hilarious how Barbara Lee is somehow too old when she's 4 years younger than Biden.

1.) Biden is running for a second and final 4-year term, while Lee would be running for a first 6-year term.

2.) Biden is also too old.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1022 on: October 01, 2023, 01:12:53 AM »

A Senate term is longer than a presidential term. Also, presidents have term limits. I doubt Lee would complete a second term.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #1023 on: October 01, 2023, 07:08:23 AM »

I've gone ahead and written a rough draft of a statement for Gavin Newsom that he can feel free to use:

"A few years ago, I pledged that, if tasked with the duty to make another appointment to one of California's U.S. Senate seats, I would name an African-American woman to the seat. At the time, it was clear to me that this was an absolute necessity. The ascendence of then-Senator Kamala Harris to the Vice Presidency had left the United States Senate without representation for Black women, something that I and many others found, and still find, unacceptable.

Fortunately, since I made that pledge nearly two and a half years ago, recent developments in U.S. Senate races in states like Delaware, Maryland, and potentially more to come have made it a near certainty that it will be the voters who will rectify this problem. I'm also cognizant of the fact that, for what is now the second time I can remember, a Black woman is a major, viable candidate for the U.S. Senate right here at home in our own upcoming election. I hope all Californians will join me in celebrating this incredible milestone.

I'm also cognizant of the fact that the first round of voting in our upcoming U.S. Senate election is far too close for comfort - less than half a year away - for me to unduly influence the democratic process by giving a candidate in that election an unfair advantage with an appointment to the seat.

That is why I'm incredibly pleased to share that former U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer has agreed to briefly come out of retirement to serve out the remainder of the late, great Senator Feinstein's term. Senator Boxer and Senator Feinstein long enjoyed a strong working relationship and friendship. She will return to the Senate with seniority, and there is nobody better to manage the transition from Senator Feinstein to our new Senator who will be elected next year, while also serving Californians ably and with distinction, than her."
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #1024 on: October 01, 2023, 07:09:28 AM »

Also, something should probably be done about the poster who is morbidly obsessed with Barbara Lee's death.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies