California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:31:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 64
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 66801 times)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: September 30, 2023, 10:00:26 AM »

It's incredibly unprecedented for the third-place candidate and her surrogates to repeatedly demand the seat be given to them in the middle of an ongoing race. Bizarre.

I almost hope Newsom goes ahead and taps Schiff as the party choice at this point.
If Newsom breaks his pledge it would probably be the African American part (cause all his options said no?) rather than the placeholder part at this point.

I mean, he couldn’t appoint Lee even if he wanted to at this point, right?  It’d make him look really weak for being bullied into submission by the Twitter tantrum of some random congresswoman who can’t even crack double-digits in a statewide primary

Yes, but also it appears as though the Black political establishment is also applying pressure on him. Thus far every notable Black female politician has said they won’t take a caretaker appt and many have said he should give it to Lee. So, if he doesn’t appoint her there is a good chance he will just bolster her argument that he’s looking to appoint a token Black person to advance his own interests and not to help Black ppl.

Gavin Newsom has turned a moment of potential strength into a lose-lose situation.

It doesn't have to be a African American woman to service Newsom's interests. If none of the obvious choices we are throwing around want to do 15 months in the Senate, then he'll start looking elsewhere.

Which is how I found myself googling Willie Brown's name this morning.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #951 on: September 30, 2023, 10:08:42 AM »

From what I can gather, Newsom will be the first governor in 3-4 decades to get to appoint both of his state's US senators.

It's happened a few times before (including a situation in Florida in the 30s where both senators seem to have died within a month of each other). But still pretty impactful - even if one does end up being a caretaker.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #952 on: September 30, 2023, 10:16:32 AM »

This bashing of Lee is a little much. Newsom said he would appoint an African-American woman. Lee is the most obvious choice to fill that. This is a problem of Newsom’s own making.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #953 on: September 30, 2023, 10:19:23 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2023, 10:26:29 AM by Roll Roons »

Newsom was an idiot to box himself in like this. California doesn't even have a large black population, so I'm not sure who he thought he was trying to pander to.

Since when have temporary placeholder Senators become such a big deal? Did anyone care that Chris Christie appointed a Republican to replace Lautenberg?

Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #954 on: September 30, 2023, 10:21:34 AM »

It's incredibly unprecedented for the third-place candidate and her surrogates to repeatedly demand the seat be given to them in the middle of an ongoing race. Bizarre.

I almost hope Newsom goes ahead and taps Schiff as the party choice at this point.
If Newsom breaks his pledge it would probably be the African American part (cause all his options said no?) rather than the placeholder part at this point.

I mean, he couldn’t appoint Lee even if he wanted to at this point, right?  It’d make him look really weak for being bullied into submission by the Twitter tantrum of some random congresswoman who can’t even crack double-digits in a statewide primary

Yes, but also it appears as though the Black political establishment is also applying pressure on him. Thus far every notable Black female politician has said they won’t take a caretaker appt and many have said he should give it to Lee. So, if he doesn’t appoint her there is a good chance he will just bolster her argument that he’s looking to appoint a token Black person to advance his own interests and not to help Black ppl.

Gavin Newsom has turned a moment of potential strength into a lose-lose situation.

This seems to be aging well:

Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #955 on: September 30, 2023, 10:58:19 AM »

Lol

JMT

« Reply #956 on: September 30, 2023, 11:06:32 AM »

From what I can gather, Newsom will be the first governor in 3-4 decades to get to appoint both of his state's US senators.

It's happened a few times before (including a situation in Florida in the 30s where both senators seem to have died within a month of each other). But still pretty impactful - even if one does end up being a caretaker.

It happened fairly recently in Massachusetts. Deval Patrick appointed Paul Kirk to replace Ted Kennedy, then appointed Mo Cowan to replace John Kerry. Both were interim/caretaker appointments, but it was for both of MA’s senate seats.

And this was for the same Senate seat, so not exactly the same. But interestingly, Doug Ducey made two Senate appointments. Ducey appointed Jon Kyl to replace John McCain, but then Kyl resigned. Ducey then appointed Martha McSally to replace Jon Kyl.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #957 on: September 30, 2023, 11:24:20 AM »

Where's this being reported?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #958 on: September 30, 2023, 11:26:10 AM »

Newsom was an idiot to box himself in like this. California doesn't even have a large black population, so I'm not sure who he thought he was trying to pander to.

He got a lot of sh*t from the Black community & electeds for appointing his friend Padilla to succeed the only Black woman Senator, so he promised "if Dianne's seat opens up under me, it's all yours."
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #959 on: September 30, 2023, 11:38:37 AM »

This is one of the most disgusting campaigns for senate I’ve ever seen. Barbara Lee should apologize on behalf of herself and her surrogates and drop out.

soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #960 on: September 30, 2023, 11:40:35 AM »

This is one of the most disgusting campaigns for senate I’ve ever seen. Barbara Lee should apologize on behalf of herself and her surrogates and drop out.

"Why is it that when the surrounding circumstances are totally different, different outcomes occur?"
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #961 on: September 30, 2023, 11:48:26 AM »

Have two consecutive Senators elected in their own right died in office before in a relatively short period of time?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #962 on: September 30, 2023, 12:08:40 PM »

Have two consecutive Senators elected in their own right died in office before in a relatively short period of time?

It was alluded to earlier, but both of Florida's senators died in office in 1936 within six weeks of each other.  Park Trammell, who was in his fourth term, died on May 8, and Duncan Fletcher, who was in his fifth term, died on June 17.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #963 on: September 30, 2023, 12:10:48 PM »

It was alluded to earlier, but both of Florida's senators died in office in 1936 within six weeks of each other.  Park Trammell, who was in his fourth term, died on May 8, and Duncan Fletcher, who was in his fifth term, died on June 17.
I meant one Senator dying, and the successor dying a decade or less later.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #964 on: September 30, 2023, 12:22:18 PM »

"Why is it that when the surrounding circumstances are totally different, different outcomes occur?"

This just shows how little you understand her point. Why bother appointing a Black woman at all if your intent is for her to only hold power for a month or two only to be replaced by a white person? Instead of lifting Black ppl up, Newsom uses them for public relations - and fails to even get that right
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #965 on: September 30, 2023, 12:46:28 PM »

This bashing of Lee is a little much. Newsom said he would appoint an African-American woman. Lee is the most obvious choice to fill that. This is a problem of Newsom’s own making.

She's not the most obvious choice because she's running for the seat and is well behind in the polls. This is the equivalent of if Cardin had to resign suddenly and Moore appointed Trone despite Alsobrooks being the favorite. Short-circuiting a primary race is very rarely done, and doing it in favor of someone running behind is much more so.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #966 on: September 30, 2023, 12:48:41 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2023, 04:15:28 PM by Boo-Boo Keys »

There’s a very good chance that if Lee wins, she also dies in office less than a decade from Feinstein. Imagine two Senators who held the same seat at different times pulling a Clair Engle.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #967 on: September 30, 2023, 12:53:05 PM »

Since when have temporary placeholder Senators become such a big deal? Did anyone care that Chris Christie appointed a Republican to replace Lautenberg?

He’s pandering to certain sectors of the national party (the black elite and a portion of identity-obsessed resist libs) in preparation for a 2028 run.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #968 on: September 30, 2023, 12:54:45 PM »

Also, I honestly don't believe that if Lee got the appointment at this point, it would end the primary. It would be seen as such an affront to Schiff and the party brass that they would likely step up the support for him and make the primary even more brutal. Porter would be done, of course, but that's it. This has the same energy as the way the Bernie backers were shocked, shocked that candidates dropped out and consolidated their support, as opposed to letting him clinch victory with 30% in every state.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #969 on: September 30, 2023, 12:56:17 PM »

Also, I don’t believe Lee would be in office in 2034.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #970 on: September 30, 2023, 01:15:12 PM »

Also, I don’t believe Lee would be in office in 2034.

That's also the subtext here. Lee was reaching the expected retirement point for the house anyways. It's not hard to shake the impression that her campaign is just a fancy retirement option. From that perspective,  it makes prefect sense for her to want to be a placeholder.  But she already committed to the run and all that entails,  so the placeholder option that would make sense in isolation becomes an impossibility.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #971 on: September 30, 2023, 01:21:08 PM »

This just shows how little you understand her point. Why bother appointing a Black woman at all if your intent is for her to only hold power for a month or two only to be replaced by a white person? Instead of lifting Black ppl up, Newsom uses them for public relations - and fails to even get that right
I mean, yeah, it's a failure of decision-making on Newsom's part, but that doesn't mean Lee herself is owed the seat.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #972 on: September 30, 2023, 01:22:02 PM »

This is almost as lame as Stacey Abrams' weird campaign to be Biden's running mate.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #973 on: September 30, 2023, 01:30:49 PM »

Nobody is entitled to a senate seat because of skin color or otherwise, D-CO avs. Candidates throwing public tantrums about it just reveals them for the clowns that they are. It's a transparent and self-serving attempt to bypass the democratic process.
Pink Panther

« Reply #974 on: September 30, 2023, 01:31:28 PM »

This is pretty funny cope, ngl.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies