California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 09:46:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 64
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 68353 times)
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1100 on: October 01, 2023, 09:24:08 PM »

I’ll expand on the point I made earlier about Newsom’s future after this

Two important parts of being president is only making promises you can keep, and being able to balance the various interests groups when it comes time to fill your cabinet and the federal government. The latter point is especially important in garnering support for a presidential run. Newsom has shown incompetence in both regards by fencing himself into numerous conflicting promises, which put him in a position to piss off just about every demographic in the state. He appoints Lee, the Schiff and the Pelosi establishment crowd are fuming. Don’t appoint Lee and he pisses off every black politician in the state. And as far as either group is concerned he’s promised to do what they want, but it’s impossible to do both. It makes him untrustworthy and hypocritical.

If he can’t handle this I can’t imagine many groups will feel comfortable supporting him in a run for president. His presidential ambitions are on life support.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1101 on: October 01, 2023, 09:26:07 PM »

no one is entitled to a seat. Again, this whole thing would push me to Porter. I won't be disappointed if Lee ends up winning a full term, but this whole episode puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Conversely:

Two important parts of being president is only making promises you can keep, and being able to balance the various interests groups when it comes time to fill your cabinet and the federal government. The latter point is especially important in garnering support for a presidential run. Newsom has shown incompetence in both regards by fencing himself into numerous conflicting promises, which put him in a position to piss off just about every demographic in the state. He appoints Lee, the Schiff and the Pelosi establishment crowd are fuming. Don’t appoint Lee and he pisses off every black politician in the state. And as far as either group is concerned he’s promised to do what they want, but it’s impossible to do both. It makes him untrustworthy and hypocritical.

If he can’t handle this I can’t imagine many groups will feel comfortable supporting him in a run for president. His presidential ambitions are on life support.

And, importantly for his presidential ambitions, Jim Clyburn too.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1102 on: October 01, 2023, 09:30:04 PM »

I don't think it would even be much of a loss for Democrats if this whole saga tanked Newsom's presidential ambitions. If anything, he's one of the weaker potential candidates who could run post-Biden.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1103 on: October 01, 2023, 09:30:23 PM »

Counterpoint: It is absolutely absurd to think that anyone in five years will remember or care about this. Are you listening to yourself?
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1104 on: October 01, 2023, 09:31:20 PM »

I don't think it would even be much of a loss for Democrats if this whole saga tanked Newsom's presidential ambitions. If anything, he's one of the weaker potential candidates who could run post-Biden.

Don’t take me for lamenting Newsom’s demise. If anything I’m glad, but it’s interesting he’s done it to himself by a series of unforced errors.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #1105 on: October 01, 2023, 09:34:26 PM »

leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1106 on: October 01, 2023, 09:36:06 PM »

Counterpoint: It is absolutely absurd to think that anyone in five years will remember or care about this. Are you listening to yourself?

Voters won’t give a damn, but politicians and organizers remember who their friends are. You can’t run a campaign when the people who would organize for you in states you have no connections don’t trust you. If Clyburn or Pelosi spreads word that Newsom can’t be trusted he’ll struggle to gain people on his side. Voters forget after five years, politicians don’t.

If you go to a mechanic and they make you pay threw the nose after not fixing anything, you’re not gonna go back they’re and tell people you know not to either.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1107 on: October 01, 2023, 09:36:30 PM »

Newsom trading CBC support in 2028 for EMILY’s List support… interesting…
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1108 on: October 01, 2023, 09:36:51 PM »

If you have been annoying in this thread, you are expected to fill out this form:

Please have it completed and back to me by noon tomorrow.
Lol Lmao,  talk about being too quick to claim victory.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1109 on: October 01, 2023, 09:37:22 PM »

Ok, talk about a pick that was completely out of left field.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #1110 on: October 01, 2023, 09:37:36 PM »

Senator Porter still reigns!!!!
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1111 on: October 01, 2023, 09:40:03 PM »

It’s official according to Wikipedia:

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1112 on: October 01, 2023, 09:40:18 PM »

Ok, talk about a pick that was completely out of left field.
Yeah, this was not on my bingo card.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1113 on: October 01, 2023, 09:41:05 PM »

Voters won’t give a damn, but politicians and organizers remember who their friends are. You can’t run a campaign when the people who would organize for you in states you have no connections don’t trust you. If Clyburn or Pelosi spreads word that Newsom can’t be trusted he’ll struggle to gain people on his side. Voters forget after five years, politicians don’t.

If you go to a mechanic and they make you pay threw the nose after not fixing anything, you’re not gonna go back they’re and tell people you know not to either.

Well, you know, he's got EMILY's List on his side now.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1114 on: October 01, 2023, 09:44:46 PM »

Huh that’s cool:

Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #1115 on: October 01, 2023, 09:45:13 PM »

According to Wikipedia (I know) she has close ties with Kamala Harris having a role on her 2020 presidential campaign. She also has strong union ties.  All I know of her is what I have read in the last 5 minutes but at first blush she sounds like a good pick.

Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #1116 on: October 01, 2023, 09:45:45 PM »

This is a virtually impossible pick for basically any Democrat - Lee included - to criticize.

Newsom running circles around his critics here.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1117 on: October 01, 2023, 09:48:51 PM »

If you have been annoying in this thread, you are expected to fill out this form:

Please have it completed and back to me by noon tomorrow.

That aged well Roll Eyes
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #1118 on: October 01, 2023, 09:49:01 PM »

This is a virtually impossible pick for basically any Democrat - Lee included - to criticize.

Newsom running circles around his critics here.

You know sometimes politicians who have been elected to major offices know more than anonymous message board posters.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1119 on: October 01, 2023, 09:50:20 PM »

lmao what

Union org isn't nearly as bad as I thought, given my dislike for the grift group she runs.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1120 on: October 01, 2023, 09:50:44 PM »

Incredible content, thank you Gavin.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1121 on: October 01, 2023, 09:52:50 PM »

LA Times compiled a list of names Newsom might appoint.

They are:
  • Angela Glover Blackwell
  • Lateefah Simon
  • Mayor London Breed
  • Secretary Shirley Weber
  • Laphonza Butler
  • Controller Malia Cohen
  • Judge Leondra Kruger (who was under consideration for Biden for SCOTUS)

Not interested in an appointment are:
  • Mayor Karen Bass
  • Supervisor Holly Mitchell
  • Congresswoman Maxine Waters
  • Oprah Winfrey

Looks like the LA Times was on to something. Could’ve sworn I saw her name mentioned somewhere else in this thread. Maybe an embedded tweet.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1122 on: October 01, 2023, 09:53:07 PM »

It's 24, Rs cannot compete with Ds with blk vote
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #1123 on: October 01, 2023, 09:56:25 PM »

lmao what

Union org isn't nearly as bad as I thought, given my dislike for the grift group she runs.
On the other hand, she's worked/lobbied for Airbnb.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1124 on: October 01, 2023, 09:57:04 PM »

This, by the way, should be a reminder of how quickly Twitter can spiral its reactions to something minor. The statements were never a clear indication of anything until posters (both for and against Lee) decided it meant Lee was being appointed and started to form takes around this supposition.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies