Special Election megathread (5/21: CA-20)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:24:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Special Election megathread (5/21: CA-20)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 114
Author Topic: Special Election megathread (5/21: CA-20)  (Read 141744 times)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: June 28, 2021, 10:19:45 AM »

I'm missing why so many people here are fans of Nina Turner. What is there to like?

It's the same reason Republicans like Marjorie Taylor Greene.  They like her because the people they don't like are offended by her awfulness.  Every time she does something awful, they get a free post from someone like me saying "hey wow this Nina Turner is truly awful" and they can all high-five each other and go "Nina pissed off GMA again, great success!"

If you don't believe me just look at the posts in this thread.

Soon Nina will be in Congress and her incredibly awful and stupid behavior will get national attention, so instead of just my Atlas posts they'll get whole news cycles where mainstream media types (whom they also hate) talk about how awful Nina is.  And it'll be the same thing.  "Nina pissed off the MSM again, great success!"
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #426 on: June 28, 2021, 12:48:36 PM »

No, they're Nina Turner supporters.

It's easy to get confused since in 2016 they all helped Trump get elected by voting for Jill Stein.
citation needed

Stein's vote share was greater than Trump's margin of victory in all three of the Blue Wall states he flipped, we don't know how 2016 could have gone but the Stein vote was helpful to Trump.
I highly doubt all or the majority of Nina Turner supporters supported Stein in 2016, like what General McArthur implies.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #427 on: June 28, 2021, 05:20:41 PM »

No, they're Nina Turner supporters.

It's easy to get confused since in 2016 they all helped Trump get elected by voting for Jill Stein.
citation needed

Stein's vote share was greater than Trump's margin of victory in all three of the Blue Wall states he flipped, we don't know how 2016 could have gone but the Stein vote was helpful to Trump.
Come on, anyone who hated both Hillary and Trump enough that they decided to vote for Stein would have just stayed home if Stein wasn’t on the ballot. I don’t know where people get this stupid idea that Stein voters would have voted for Hillary if they couldn’t vote for Stein
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #428 on: June 28, 2021, 08:42:48 PM »

I take back what I said about no one caring that Turner is gonna win.  Apparently General MacArthur cares Tongue

He's openly admitted to hating the progressive left, so it's no real surprise.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #429 on: June 29, 2021, 06:10:50 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2021, 06:26:15 PM by GeneralMacArthur »

Jim Clyburn endorsed Shontel Brown today, a few days after Nina Turner and friends called Clyburn "incredibly stupid."  As a result, Brown's odds on PredictIt doubled from 10% to 20%.

Oh, also here's a clip of Nina nodding along and agreeing with Killer Mike as he accuses Jim Clyburn of being "incredibly stupid" and "caring more about his sponsors than the people who voted to get him there."  You might think this clip is from a year ago, before Nina adopted her new public image.  Actually, it's from this week.

I guess Clyburn did read all that.

Even if Nina wanted to be an effective representative (in my opinion, she has no principles and just likes raising tons of cash from dumb Bernie cultists) she would never be able to succeed at it because she's such a rude, aggressive, bridge-burning-type person that she'd be blacklisted by half of Congress by the end of her first term.  She's probably already insulted the vast majority of her future colleagues by name.  People remember this stuff and they don't want to work with you when you go around talking about how stupid they are and how they're rigging the election against you and how you're going to take away their seats.  This is why Bernie has only passed 3 bills in 40+ years in Congress.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #430 on: June 29, 2021, 06:47:54 PM »

And perhaps this will be the election where people figure out - hopefully - that Clyburn isn't some kingmaker in Democratic primaries, and that his endorsement is a lagging indicator rather than a leading one: that he almost always endorses the candidate who has the best chance of winning (and the rest of the time, as is likely the case here, endorses a candidate out of sheer pettiness).
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #431 on: June 29, 2021, 07:01:06 PM »

And perhaps this will be the election where people figure out - hopefully - that Clyburn isn't some kingmaker in Democratic primaries, and that his endorsement is a lagging indicator rather than a leading one: that he almost always endorses the candidate who has the best chance of winning (and the rest of the time, as is likely the case here, endorses a candidate out of sheer pettiness).

You can call it "petty" to endorse the opponent of a woman who insults and degrades you, but Nina will find that such "pettiness" is very common in the halls of Congress.

People don't want to work with an asshole.  People root against assholes and try to help them lose.  Even if her colleagues agreed with Nina on everything (and at this point it's unclear what she actually believes since she's running on "expanded access to healthcare" which her own campaign once compared to 9/11) they would find someone else to work with who doesn't call them stupid corrupt election thieves behind their back.

Nobody forces Nina to behave like this.  She does it to herself because she's a terrible person.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #432 on: June 29, 2021, 07:15:41 PM »

16 pages of malding
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #433 on: June 29, 2021, 08:12:07 PM »

The Chad Clyburn >>> the Virgin GMac.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #434 on: June 29, 2021, 09:54:43 PM »

You can call it "petty" to endorse the opponent of a woman who insults and degrades you, but Nina will find that such "pettiness" is very common in the halls of Congress.

People don't want to work with an asshole.  People root against assholes and try to help them lose.  Even if her colleagues agreed with Nina on everything (and at this point it's unclear what she actually believes since she's running on "expanded access to healthcare" which her own campaign once compared to 9/11) they would find someone else to work with who doesn't call them stupid corrupt election thieves behind their back.

Nobody forces Nina to behave like this.  She does it to herself because she's a terrible person.

I can call it petty, and so would anybody else who understands the definition of the word.

I fully understand how Congress works: that is precisely the point that people like Turner were making. And yet...all too many holier-than-thou types such as yourself squawk about concepts such as compromise, decency, cooperation and working together. Personally, I'm A-OK with pettiness and in fact embrace it - but I don't subsequently turn around and become morally outraged by those I don't like for doing so while extolling the virtues of those who I do (unless, of course, they themselves are hypocrites). That is what tangibly separates people like me from people like you: I'm sh[inks]tty all the time, whereas you're hypocritical about it depending on the situation and whether it's one of your "team members" or not. People like Clyburn and Turner have to work together for the betterment of all, irrespective of personal feelings, right?

Huh

If you spend more time getting butt-hurt about what people in your own party say and do than what people outside of it - who clearly want to burn it all down - do and say, then maybe you picked the wrong party? From your own worldview, the same can be said about p-e-t-t-y representatives like Clyburn. Look to someone like Pelosi who has had far more vitriol thrown at her by candidates and members of Congress, only to embrace them when the time comes, and contrast that to Clyburn - who was still publicly ranting and raving about AOC after she was elected because she didn't kiss his ring.
EJ24
United States

« Reply #435 on: June 30, 2021, 08:31:01 AM »

Let's just face reality, Turner is destined to be the next Tulsi Gabbard.

She's a good fit for her state, but on a national level she's going to get exposed and flame out hard and fast. She'll get lots of press and attention from the "anti-establishment" grifter types like Joe Rogan and Jimmy Dore, and their audience who understand next to nothing about politics and government, but won't be a serious contender otherwise.

Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #436 on: June 30, 2021, 08:34:12 AM »

She's a good fit for her state, but on a national level she's going to get exposed and flame out hard and fast. She'll get lots of press and attention from the "anti-establishment" grifter types like Joe Rogan and Jimmy Dore, and their audience who understand next to nothing about politics and government, but won't be a serious contender otherwise.

Uh, Tulsi Gabbard is a transphobe and islamophobe. They are nothing alike politically. Also, all this fearmongering about Turner like she will singlehandedly derail the Biden agenda out of spite is...well, silly. Let's see if she wins the primary and then let's see what type of Congresswoman she is before we jump to conclusions about her being a future flame-out.
EJ24
United States

« Reply #437 on: June 30, 2021, 08:37:54 AM »

Uh, Tulsi Gabbard is a transphobe and islamophobe. They are nothing alike politically. Also, all this fearmongering about Turner like she will singlehandedly derail the Biden agenda out of spite is...well, silly. Let's see if she wins the primary and then let's see what type of Congresswoman she is before we jump to conclusions about her being a future flame-out.

They are exactly alike, their big claim to fame is being joined at the hip to Bernie Sanders and propagating a bunch of right-wing lies and crap about Hillary Clinton. People like Gabbard are indirectly responsible for the election of Trump, and people like Turner will do all they can to ensure a Biden loss in 2024 out of spite. Watch.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #438 on: June 30, 2021, 09:13:17 AM »

I'm not sure I'm convinced by the argument that Nina Turner is worse for passing the Dem agenda than an empty seat, but go on.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #439 on: June 30, 2021, 09:31:13 AM »

I'm not sure I'm convinced by the argument that Nina Turner is worse for passing the Dem agenda than an empty seat, but go on.

The argument is just that Turner is a loose cannon and can't be trusted to fall in line when necessary. She doesn't strike me as someone who is a team player, but rather someone who's only interested in their own self interests
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #440 on: June 30, 2021, 09:33:02 AM »

The argument is just that Turner is a loose cannon and can't be trusted to fall in line when necessary. She doesn't strike me as someone who is a team player, but rather someone who's only interested in their own self interests

Fair enough - though I wouldn't worry about it.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #441 on: June 30, 2021, 12:55:42 PM »

I really don't understand why Nina Turner has turned into this Tulsi like figure in the minds of so many of y'all (and evidently in the mind of Mr. Clyburn as well). Yeah, she's used hyperbolic language in the past, but honestly I would bet she voted for Hillary in 2016 and just never admitted to it. In this primary, she has primarily tied herself to Berniecrats/the Squad nationally and the Ohio Democratic establishment locally. Neither group suggests to me that she will be anything other that a normal progressive Democrat in terms of voting record a la AOC.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #442 on: June 30, 2021, 01:02:45 PM »

Nina Turner will probably fall in line way more often than not, y'all are being dramatic and need to seriously touch some grass
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #443 on: June 30, 2021, 01:43:19 PM »

Not mentioned yet here, but Ayanna Pressley endorsed Nina Turner yesterday. Fairly big news considering Pressley's role as a major Warren surrogate in 2019/20. I wonder if other "Warren Democrats" will be announcing their support for Turner as well.

Also it looks like in the wake of Clyburn's move, Turner raised over $100K in 24 hours.
JM1295
Rookie
United States
« Reply #444 on: June 30, 2021, 03:54:51 PM »

Nina Turner will probably fall in line way more often than not, y'all are being dramatic and need to seriously touch some grass

Yeah, I mean has the left/progressives held up any legislation thus far to make us think differently? They couldn't even get together to block giving the capitol police more funding, which barely passed with 218 votes lol. The Squad, Jayapal, Pocan, etc. have all shown that they will fall in line and idk why people expect anything different from Turner. It has almost always been moderates who have held up the Biden agenda thus far.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #445 on: June 30, 2021, 04:06:35 PM »

Not mentioned yet here, but Ayanna Pressley endorsed Nina Turner yesterday. Fairly big news considering Pressley's role as a major Warren surrogate in 2019/20. I wonder if other "Warren Democrats" will be announcing their support for Turner as well.

I mean, Porter already endorsed Turner and is probably a higher-profile member of the Warren sphere than Pressley is.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #446 on: June 30, 2021, 06:49:18 PM »

I mean, Porter already endorsed Turner and is probably a higher-profile member of the Warren sphere than Pressley is.

Hard disagree. The general public is way more likely to know who Ayanna Pressley is than Katie Porter.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #447 on: June 30, 2021, 06:58:34 PM »

I was never really a fan of Turner either, but I've come around to this line of thinking as well. It'll be fine.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #448 on: June 30, 2021, 07:04:30 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2021, 08:41:56 PM by The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow »

Hard disagree. The general public is way more likely to know who Ayanna Pressley is than Katie Porter.

Katie Porter gets a ton of press from nearly every important congressional hearing she attends; she’s all over left-leaning media. While Pressley is a part of the original four-person “Squad,” she’s definitely the least known of the bunch because she’s not AOC, she hasn’t had Omar and Tlaib’s repeated controversies, and she’s never been targeted by the right in the same way that the other three have been.

Case in point: Porter is currently trending on Twitter for no reason other than because a bunch of Democrats want her specifically to be on the 1/6 commission.
EJ24
United States

« Reply #449 on: June 30, 2021, 07:36:56 PM »

I really don't understand why Nina Turner has turned into this Tulsi like figure in the minds of so many of y'all (and evidently in the mind of Mr. Clyburn as well). Yeah, she's used hyperbolic language in the past, but honestly I would bet she voted for Hillary in 2016 and just never admitted to it. In this primary, she has primarily tied herself to Berniecrats/the Squad nationally and the Ohio Democratic establishment locally. Neither group suggests to me that she will be anything other that a normal progressive Democrat in terms of voting record a la AOC.

She compared voting for Biden to "eating a bowl of sh**t". At least even TULSI had sense enough to endorse Biden in April. Turner said this mere weeks before the 2020 DNC convention.

She's also cozy with Jill Stein and the Greens, which is another characteristic she shares with Gabbard. Stein offered her the VP slot in 2016 after she made her loyalty to MAGA and Putin clear in the public eye. She's going to win this seat and stab Democrats in the back.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 114  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies