Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:10:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Author Topic: Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)  (Read 136414 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« on: March 23, 2021, 06:53:51 AM »

ugh, can OH-11 Dems not get anyone better than Nina Turner?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 06:14:29 AM »

Nina Turner is going to be a congresswoman. Oof.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 05:03:21 AM »

Nina Turner is so awful. We really don’t need another squad member.

she's even worse IMO. at least the squad supported Biden. Turner literally tried to pull the 'lesser of two evils' card
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 06:05:29 PM »

Is Nina Turner actually behaving better now though? She was totally Susan Sarandon far left nonsense before this year.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 05:12:07 AM »

Is Nina Turner actually behaving better now though? She was totally Susan Sarandon far left nonsense before this year.

"Behaving better..." I don't even get why you would care or be involved in politics if you're number one issue is a candidate's tone lol

I didn't mean tone, I meant her not being crazy anymore
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 04:35:36 PM »

Clinton won the OH primary in 2016, so i mean, she still clearly has sway with OH Democrats.

Hoping Brown can pull out a miracle. Turner is insane.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 05:11:01 AM »

I'm missing why so many people here are fans of Nina Turner. What is there to like?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 09:31:13 AM »

I'm not sure I'm convinced by the argument that Nina Turner is worse for passing the Dem agenda than an empty seat, but go on.

The argument is just that Turner is a loose cannon and can't be trusted to fall in line when necessary. She doesn't strike me as someone who is a team player, but rather someone who's only interested in their own self interests
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2021, 06:56:00 AM »

Not mentioned yet here, but Ayanna Pressley endorsed Nina Turner yesterday. Fairly big news considering Pressley's role as a major Warren surrogate in 2019/20. I wonder if other "Warren Democrats" will be announcing their support for Turner as well.

Also it looks like in the wake of Clyburn's move, Turner raised over $100K in 24 hours.

It's funny how Nina Turner thinks she's the only one raising money here

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 04:33:49 PM »

Marcia Fudge's mother endorses Shontel Brown.

Since Biden admin figures are presumably staying out of primaries, that's as close as you're gonna get to a Fudge endorsement.

Interesting. The primary is still a month away. It certainly feels as though Brown could get some late momentum.

However, Turner has SO much $$ that idek if it would be enough
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2021, 08:31:19 AM »

I'm starting to get the impression Brown actually may have a shot here now

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2021, 09:38:43 AM »

Haaland was able to endorse though, so why can't Fudge?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2021, 10:08:00 AM »

A new poll here could be really helpful.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2021, 01:15:32 PM »

Still don't get why folks on Atlas seem to care about this race so much

I mean this is an elections forum and it's an off year with nothing substantial until November, so....
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2021, 02:44:49 PM »

Yes, why would people on a site called "Talk Elections" be interested in an upcoming election?

This isn’t even the only upcoming House special in Ohio, much less the country.  It doesn’t seem like a very competitive primary and yet you don’t see 19 pages of discussion for the primary elections in the others.

the primary is also competitive though
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2021, 04:46:27 PM »

Yes, why would people on a site called "Talk Elections" be interested in an upcoming election?

This isn’t even the only upcoming House special in Ohio, much less the country.  It doesn’t seem like a very competitive primary and yet you don’t see 19 pages of discussion for the primary elections in the others.

the primary is also competitive though

Is it though?  I’d argue the specials for Hastings’ and even Stivers’ seats are probably a lot more competitive at this point.

Given Turner now calling Brown out by name, I think it is
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2021, 11:27:02 AM »

Yep, given that Brown's own internal had her down 32 pts in April (seems very realistic), this one seems pretty realistic too. Turner still leading, but with only a slight edge, and Brown with the momentum
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2021, 05:49:50 PM »

This isn't even about progressive vs centrist.

Turner is literally just a bad candidate. She's been terrible for years. She was terrible 5 years, she's terrible now. That's the bottom line. That's why I think it's so funny she's suddenly trying to "moderate" when this is such a phony act given her actions from 2015 to 2020.

Turner thought she could buy this seat. Turns out she might not be able to.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2021, 05:41:12 AM »

Also, no one is trying to "cancel" Turner. Stop being ridiculous.

From the getgo, Turner was the one acting as if she *deserved* the nomination. Maybe it's good someone knocked her down a few pegs and made her realize she's not inevitable here.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2021, 05:38:13 AM »

From the getgo, Turner was the one acting as if she *deserved* the nomination. Maybe it's good someone knocked her down a few pegs and made her realize she's not inevitable here.

Repeating the same argument I already refuted doesn't make it any more true. Given the DNC's continued platforming of others who conditionalized their vote from the right, it's clear that Turner is being cancelled because they don't want another progressive in the House.

See this is where the far left loses people. Shontel Brown is not a republican. It's always the 'far left' vs everyone else in the Democratic Party. You know you can be a progressive and be a Democrat without being like Nina Turner, right?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2021, 08:42:44 AM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2021, 08:43:03 AM »

Repeating the same argument I already refuted doesn't make it any more true. Given the DNC's continued platforming of others who conditionalized their vote from the right, it's clear that Turner is being cancelled because they don't want another progressive in the House.

See this is where the far left loses people. Shontel Brown is not a republican. It's always the 'far left' vs everyone else in the Democratic Party. You know you can be a progressive and be a Democrat without being like Nina Turner, right?
Correct; Shontel Brown is not a progressive however and her transphobia should disqualify her from even approaching a victory in a democratic primary in and of itself; that it hasn't done so is disappointing.

And where is the proof that Brown is transphobic?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2021, 09:58:05 AM »

wbrocks: Shontel Brown is not a Republican

Also wbrocks: Here is this Republican poll that shows that Shontel Brown is tied with Turner

I'm just sharing the info.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2021, 05:37:39 AM »

How is Shontel Brown a transphobe? I listened to that segment, and the most you could accuse her of would be the offense of "misgendering". From the tone that she used and the language that she used, I didn't get the impression that she was bigoted or prejudiced. As I've said elsewhere, you have legitimately hateful people out there who ought to be criticized, but there are many reasonable people who don't fully understand all of the nuances around gender identity and sexual orientation, and the like, but who are supportive of LGBT rights and who are trying to seek greater understanding about the issue. This woman seems to fall into that category.

Yep. If anything, she just seems like she's still learning about the pronouns and making sure she properly genders people. This is literally NOTHING like actually being transphobic and it's ridiculous to call her that based on that video. People need to stop labeling people that just because they see someone who doesn't understand, which if you got out of your bubble, is most people in the country, who are still learning about all of this and figuring it out.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2021, 05:38:51 AM »

My take on the whole Shontel Brown transphobia thing is she's probably not any more transphobic than the median Democrat (which to be honest doesn't say a whole lot, unfortunately). However, the fact that she was so careless with her pronoun usage when talking about a black trans woman who died isn't nothing, and demonstrates at the very least a level of disengagement with the issue which some voters would be totally justified in not being comfortable with for a Democratic nominee.

Being "careless with pronoun usage" is not the same as not understanding. We shouldn't demonize people who don't know everything, considering many people are still learning. It clearly wasn't coming from a place of maliciousness, so this whole thing is just being ridiculously blown out of proportion.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies