Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:00:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)  (Read 135574 times)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: February 19, 2021, 12:30:16 PM »

I don't know why Brown's supporters haven't updated that Wikipedia article, but on Twitter I've seen her getting endorsements from dozens of state/local officials, unions, and other organizations.

Meanwhile Turner's section of the article lists a bunch of people who don't live in Ohio.  Yeah I'm not surprised she got endorsed by Krystal Ball, Shaun King, Marianne Williamson, Susan Sarandon and Ilhan Omar.  I don't think those endorsements will carry much weight in OH-11.  But they certainly make her endorsements list really long.

Clinton beat Sanders by 56-43 in 2016, but in the 11th district she stomped him 68-32.  Obviously there's no signal from 2020 because Biden trashed Sanders everywhere in the state.  But Nina's entire set of endorsements just frames her as "Bernie's candidate" which I don't think is an advantage in the 11th district.

So from a million miles away, it looks to me like one candidate is running a national campaign while the other is running a very local campaign.  Nina has endorsements from Bernie and his crew of Hollywood celebrities, Justice Dem congresswomen, YouTubers and podcast hosts.  Shontel doesn't have any podcast hosts on her side but she does have the 11th district steelworker's union or whatever.  Which will matter more?

There's also the fact that Shontel is likely to score the endorsement of Fudge herself.  That could end up being all that matters.

I could be wrong of course, Nina is going to have a massive fundraising advantage (she's already outraising Shontel 15-1) from running her national campaign.  But from the votes in this poll you'd think Shontel only has a 3-5% chance of winning and I'd definitely take those odds.  Cenk Uygur spent nearly $2,000,000 on his CA-25 Congressional run and ended up getting 4%.  You can't just buy seats these days.

There's also the split race factor -- Nina could win with 30% just like the Sanders campaign planned to during the primary.  Hopefully Marcia Fudge's endorsement will clear the field for Brown.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 12:39:41 PM »

Also, Shontel Brown was endorsed today by Rep. Joyce Beatty (OH-03), chair of the Congressional Black Caucus.  Ya know, someone who actually lives in Ohio.

I don't think she has as many followers on Twitter as The Gravel Institute, but it's still a nice endorsement to have.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 11:53:21 PM »

This is a good get, and surprisingly this union backed Biden pretty heavily in 2020 apparently. It seems like Turner has very deep connections to Cleveland organized labor, which I think might have been overshadowed by all the progressive firebrandiness she's been doing since 2016.

If nothing else, I would really love to see donut twitter/KHive completely lose it and donate tons of money to whatever Republican grifter opposes her.

Donut twitter?

Back in 2017, I think, Turner and some other people from Our Revolution tried to goto the DNC HQ to give some policy suggestions or something but were blocked by barricades. They were offered donuts and water, which Turner found insulting given that they weren't being heard, which led to a lot of centrist libs on Twitter adopting it as a symbol of antipathy towards the Bernie wing in general and Nina Turnr/Our Revolution specifically.

Literally haven’t heard of this before, but in any case, no one’s gonna donate to Turner’s Republican opponent except the time of Republican who gets duped every two years into donating to whichever random grifter is running against AOC or Maxine Waters.

Yeah, after Trump got elected, her and a bunch of other Green Party / YouTube grifter types came up with a "People's Platform" that was just a rebranding of Bernie's platform.  They've been doing this almost every year -- rehashing the main bumper sticker policies from Bernie's campaign as some new platform or new "movement" or new party, collecting fame/fortune, then immediately forgetting about it.

Anyway, Nina wanted some attention, so she got a handful of her Twitter followers together to go march to the DNC headquarters and hand-deliver the platform to the DNC.  I'm not sure what her followers were told to expect, but Debbie Wasserman Schultz wasn't sitting on her throne waiting for a people's platform.  DNC HQ is just a bunch of low-level staffers and fundraisers.  So for a lack of anything else to do, they just milled around outside for a couple hours and chanted their slogans into a bullhorn and waived signs about the rigged election and livestreamed for their fans.

There were also some barricades in front of the HQ, which Nina claimed were put there specifically to block her from entering.  You can actually see the barricades in question if you just look up the building on street view.  Like, they're always there.

Anyway, some low-level DNC interns decided to bring some refreshments out to the crowd.  Some boxes of donuts, some water coolers, that kind of thing.  Maybe it was a gesture of goodwill.  Maybe the interns actually supported Bernie and Nina and their movement.  But Nina thought it was "seduction":

They tried to seduce us with donuts and water,' she said. 'They’re pompous and arrogant enough to say to the people, you’re not good enough to be on our property — and, oh by the way, we’re just gonna hand you donuts and water over the barricade. That is insulting. Absolutely insulting.

This was such an arrogant, entitled and bizarre thing to say that a bunch of people decided to make fun of her by putting donuts in their Twitter avatars.  The one thing they all have in common is that they think Green Party Nina is a ridiculous clown.  Naturally that makes them an easy target for Nina stans, who do what leftists on Twitter always do by launching 24/7 character assassination campaigns against the most prominent "donut twitter" personalities.

So, that's that story.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 10:21:21 PM »

Another major union endorsement for Nina Turner.

NNU isn't a major union, lol.  It's basically an arm of the Sanders campaign.  This endorsement is about as valuable as the Kyle Kulinski endorsement.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 01:16:48 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2021, 01:23:52 PM by GeneralMacArthur »

Why do some people dislike Turner?  It's because of who she actually was from 2015 up through about six weeks ago when she needed to clean up her image to get elected to Congress.

In 2016 she and Tulsi Gabbard were Bernie's two henchwomen who relentlessly promoted conspiracy theories, especially about the DNC.  They would go say all these crazy things while Bernie kept his hands clean and pretended not to know what they were saying.  She was openly encouraging all the crazy s--t at the DNC convention when people were protesting about the rigged election and spreading all sorts of wild conspiracy theories.  She refused to endorse Clinton and kept promoting the Green Party, to the point where she was even offered the Green Party VP nomination which she teased for a while but eventually turned down.

She cleaned up her act a little between 2016 and 2020 because she was trying to become a more mainstream figure, appearing on CNN and such.  But she was still doing a lot of the conspiracy-mongering.  Like when she led that march to the DNC HQ.  Like it's so embarrassing.  Also she's been involved in fringe-y third party movements like the People's Party.  (contrast with Tulsi who ran on an anti-DNC conspiracy theory platform in 2020 like it was still 2016).

During the 2020 election she again functioned as Bernie's attack dog and would go on TV to promote all the smears against Biden, once again including the smears that Bernie didn't want to use himself.  And then after it was all over and Biden won, she famously said that voting for Biden was "like eating a bowl of s--t", once again using her platform to undermine the Democratic nominee just like in 2016.

So that's a pretty quick summary of why people don't like her.  I'm not sure what her actual redeeming qualities are.  In my eyes she's always just been cringey, over-the-top, and hyperaggressive in her demeanor, but I guess some people see that as "passionate" and "energizing."  Even if that were true though, she's spent the last 5 years using that passion/energy for one primary purpose, that purpose being to attack the DNC, Democratic candidates and the Democratic Party.

I'm sure someone will roll in here with a clip of where she used her passion/energy to promote M4A or some other part of the Bernie platform, yes she does also do some things besides attack Democrats but it's mostly just attacking Democrats.  Even 2017-2019 when there was no Bernie to promote, she was on CNN just tearing down Democrats all the time and getting into shouting matches with other pundits.

If she wanted to run on her record and her actual personality, and she won an election anyway, then I would be pretty surprised but hey good for the Bernie win that the voters bought their conspiracy-theory anti-DNC BS.  But that's not what she's doing -- instead she's lying to everyone and pretending she's a good, loyal Democrat.  And spending an enormous amount of money, raised through the Sanders network (not from Cleveland), to hammer home that lie.  So it's doubly insulting because first of all we're getting this lunatic in Congress and second of all she's basically tricking the voters into electing her.

To the Nina fans on here... aren't you embarrassed that she's running by pretending to be someone she's not?  What does it say about her that she basically has to disown everything she's done for the last 5 years, the stuff you loved her for?
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 02:19:17 PM »

I'm not from Ohio so I can't speak to Nina's reputation in Ohio.  Has she even been to Ohio or done anything in the last five years?

She was a part of team Clinton originally in 2015, so based on that she was probably pretty normal, it seems getting into Bernie world and going national made her go off the deep end.

However this is 2021 and 2021 Nina Turner is not 2014 Nina Turner.  She's changed a lot in the last five years, just like Tulsi who was originally a generic D and vice-chair of the DNC.  If she's having to run on her pre-2015 local reputation then that's again trying to erase everything she's done over the last five years which is nothing to be proud of, especially if you're a fan of her because of her recent shenanigans.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 01:42:23 PM »

In my case, I think it was more that I foolishly assumed the Cuyahoga County Dems might have there act together for once and that I didn’t anticipate Turner reinventing herself as an establishmentarian (props to her for pulling that off btw Tongue

It helps to have enormous amounts of money.  Funny how people all over the country are donating tons of cash to Turner so she can use it to distance herself from them and lie to voters that she was never really one of them.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2021, 12:55:17 AM »

Is Nina Turner actually behaving better now though? She was totally Susan Sarandon far left nonsense before this year.

"Behaving better..." I don't even get why you would care or be involved in politics if you're number one issue is a candidate's tone lol

Turner's entire persona is being an obnoxious, conspiracy-addled asshole though.  If you take that away (her "tone") what does she bring to the table?

People like her because she's obnoxious and rude to people they dislike, and because she says crazy
 things that validate their conspiratorial belief system.  That's really all there is to it.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 01:52:03 PM »

Turner dominates both the primary and general. I get to watch Atlas Dems rage while Congress becomes one member more populist; win-win.

Who's raging?  Do you see me raging or crying about Ilhan Omar or Rashida Tlaib or Cori Bush?

They're terrible people (especially Omar).  They're really f---ing obnoxious.  They're breathtakingly arrogant.  They lie constantly.  They say insane things on a weekly basis.  They are embarrassing to the party.  They are embarrassing to those who have to constantly rationalize and defend their stupid statements.  They constantly kneecap our candidates by providing the Republican Party with a paintbrush of stupidity and awfulness which is then used to tar our whole party.

That's not "rage", that's just the truth.  If a blue avatar was on here talking about how horrible and embarrassing Matt Gaetz is, that's not "raging", that's just the truth.  The problem is that so many self-proclaimed "progressives" have turned their movement into little more than a set of personality cults united behind a sophomoric purity test.  They get obsessed with these candidates and buy into this notion that they're going to save America, when really all they're doing is advancing their own careers and raking in cash by repeating the same dozen or so talking points you can hear from a million different leftist pundits a thousand times a day.  None of them have, or ever will, accomplish anything of note other than making themselves rich and famous.

And yet so many "progressives" worship them.  Why?  Because they go around passionately attacking Democrats and repeating your favorite talking points, and because you see a lot of your friends worshipping them.  That's all there is too it.

Nina Turner is just another drop in the bucket.  Nobody is "afraid" of your movement.  Their self-promotional theatrics and arrogance would be eye-rolling if there wasn't so much collateral political damage involved.  And of course there's also the risk that if our majority shrinks enough, a small band of 5-6 crazy people could unite to become the House's version of Joe Manchin and pull aggravating political stunts anytime their fundraising needs a boost, like refusing to vote for a reconciliation package unless Pelosi holds a vote on an official Congressional endorsement of Hamas, or whatever the politically suicidal cause of the week is.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 03:18:54 PM »

As I said.  It's almost entirely about repeating a dozen talking points and irritating people you don't like.  The entire movement is extremely juvenile and very similar to the Republicans who worship Marjorie Taylor Greene because "she makes liberals cry."

Of course nobody's actually crying but you have to convince yourself we are because otherwise what's the point?  It's analogous to a little kid throwing a temper tantrum in the mall.  The mother's reaction is just eye-rolling and irritation, and that would be it if it was in private, but in public there's some anxiety over how other people will perceive her for allowing her child to behave in such a way.  That doesn't mean the child has anything to be proud of.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 02:51:13 AM »

I don't know why people are talking about Hillary endorsing people who lost primaries like it's some kind of own.  Usually non-competitive primary candidates don't need endorsements, so naturally you're going to endorse candidates in competitive races who have a good chance of losing.

At least Hillary endorsed normal candidates who ended up losing.  Bernie Sanders endorsed the likes of Cenk Uygur, Tim Canova, and Sarah Iannarone, that's way more embarrassing than endorsing Eliot Engel.

I doubt this will move the needle, the only hope I have is that it finally gets people to think "why is Hillary endorsing Shontel Brown?"  Nine has been running one of the most duplicitous campaigns I've ever seen -- she's literally presenting herself as the opposite of her actual self and running against herself -- and it's working because she has absolutely titanic amounts of money coming in through the Bernie machine, so she's drowning OH-11 in ads and intimidating all the local officials into getting behind her inevitable candidacy.  Maybe a Hillary endorsement of her opponent will shake that inevitability.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2021, 03:20:41 PM »

Someone is scared of the strong Black woman who dares to speak out against the neolib "consensus."

Accusing people who don't like Nina of hating "strong Black women" was worn out five years ago.  Find a new angle.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 12:39:28 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2021, 12:55:59 PM by GeneralMacArthur »

Anyone remember a year and a half ago, when Cenk Uygur ran for Congress and all of Bernieworld endorsed him?  And then it "came out" (actually this has been known about him for all along, but it finally got some press attention) that Cenk was a raging misogynist asshole with a history of saying really, truly vile and disgusting things and throwing manbaby temper tantrums?  And then Bernie, Nina, and the rest of Bernieworld had to do a 180 and un-endorse him and pretend this was news to them?

I guess I'm the only one who remembers because now Nina is out there doing events with Cenk.  I guess she forgot a year ago when she distanced herself from him because of all the horrible, toxic, misogynistic s--t he said.

Oh, also here's a clip of Nina nodding along and agreeing with Killer Mike as he accuses Jim Clyburn of being "incredibly stupid" and "caring more about his sponsors than the people who voted to get him there."  You might think this clip is from a year ago, before Nina adopted her new public image.  Actually, it's from this week.  But nobody in OH-11 will see this clip, they only get to see the fake Nina that her media team is spending millions of dollars to sell to the district.  This real Nina is for her leftist audience online, it was at an event with TYT to try and raise even more money.

P.S. she doesn't actually live in OH-11.  She lives in Maryland and has for years.  Has Nina even been back to Cleveland during this race?  The primary debate was on Zoom.  As far as I can tell from the events section of her Facebook page, she's done multiple events in Hawaii but none in Cleveland.

None of this will matter, though.  None of it will break through.  She has an entire presidential campaign apparatus behind her Congressional primary run, and she's using it to drown OH-11 in false advertising portraying her as the polar opposite of everything she portrayed herself as for the last five years.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 02:25:28 AM »

Supporting a horrible person, and then going "lol suck it bitch" when someone points out all the horrible things they do, in plain sight, with no shame, and no accountability.

Am I describing Trump supporters?

No, they're Nina Turner supporters.

It's easy to get confused since in 2016 they all helped Trump get elected by voting for Jill Stein.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 10:19:45 AM »

I'm missing why so many people here are fans of Nina Turner. What is there to like?

It's the same reason Republicans like Marjorie Taylor Greene.  They like her because the people they don't like are offended by her awfulness.  Every time she does something awful, they get a free post from someone like me saying "hey wow this Nina Turner is truly awful" and they can all high-five each other and go "Nina pissed off GMA again, great success!"

If you don't believe me just look at the posts in this thread.

Soon Nina will be in Congress and her incredibly awful and stupid behavior will get national attention, so instead of just my Atlas posts they'll get whole news cycles where mainstream media types (whom they also hate) talk about how awful Nina is.  And it'll be the same thing.  "Nina pissed off the MSM again, great success!"
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2021, 06:10:50 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2021, 06:26:15 PM by GeneralMacArthur »

Jim Clyburn endorsed Shontel Brown today, a few days after Nina Turner and friends called Clyburn "incredibly stupid."  As a result, Brown's odds on PredictIt doubled from 10% to 20%.

Oh, also here's a clip of Nina nodding along and agreeing with Killer Mike as he accuses Jim Clyburn of being "incredibly stupid" and "caring more about his sponsors than the people who voted to get him there."  You might think this clip is from a year ago, before Nina adopted her new public image.  Actually, it's from this week.

I guess Clyburn did read all that.

Even if Nina wanted to be an effective representative (in my opinion, she has no principles and just likes raising tons of cash from dumb Bernie cultists) she would never be able to succeed at it because she's such a rude, aggressive, bridge-burning-type person that she'd be blacklisted by half of Congress by the end of her first term.  She's probably already insulted the vast majority of her future colleagues by name.  People remember this stuff and they don't want to work with you when you go around talking about how stupid they are and how they're rigging the election against you and how you're going to take away their seats.  This is why Bernie has only passed 3 bills in 40+ years in Congress.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2021, 07:01:06 PM »

And perhaps this will be the election where people figure out - hopefully - that Clyburn isn't some kingmaker in Democratic primaries, and that his endorsement is a lagging indicator rather than a leading one: that he almost always endorses the candidate who has the best chance of winning (and the rest of the time, as is likely the case here, endorses a candidate out of sheer pettiness).

You can call it "petty" to endorse the opponent of a woman who insults and degrades you, but Nina will find that such "pettiness" is very common in the halls of Congress.

People don't want to work with an asshole.  People root against assholes and try to help them lose.  Even if her colleagues agreed with Nina on everything (and at this point it's unclear what she actually believes since she's running on "expanded access to healthcare" which her own campaign once compared to 9/11) they would find someone else to work with who doesn't call them stupid corrupt election thieves behind their back.

Nobody forces Nina to behave like this.  She does it to herself because she's a terrible person.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2021, 02:36:21 PM »

Marcia Fudge's mother endorses Shontel Brown.

Since Biden admin figures are presumably staying out of primaries, that's as close as you're gonna get to a Fudge endorsement.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2021, 03:45:42 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2021, 04:14:41 PM by GeneralMacArthur »

I have a bigger problem with Nina's behavior in 2016 than 2020.  I'm 2016 she was promoting all the conspiracy theories about Hillary Clinton stealing the election and being hopelessly corrupt and all that stuff that Trump profited from enormously, and she teamed up with Jill Stein big time, to the point that Nina was considered for Green Party VP.  She continued promoting these conspiracy theories throughout the Trump administration in her role as leader of Bernie's Super PAC (her co-leader was Tulsi Gabbard, another former Bernie acolyte who had a "DNC rigged 2016 and is rigging 2020" push poll featured on her website throughout her presidential run).  And of course she was one of Bernie world's main liaisons with what was then known as left-wing media but has since become openly right-wing or at least anti-Dem (the Glenn Greenwalds, Jimmy Dores, Aaron Mates and Caitlyn Johnstones of the world).

She's only become relatively better-behaved recently because for whatever reason, Bernie personally has more respect for Biden than he did for Clinton, and drew a line in the sand that his crew wasn't supposed to cross (although Sirota still did, leading to his ostracization).  The "voting for Biden is like eating a bowl of poop" comment is actually very tame and harmless compared to the things Nina was saying about Clinton and the DNC every day during the fateful 2016 election.

I don't actually believe that she's changed though (even if she has she's still awful) she's just following Bernie's lead and adapting to the new administration.

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2021, 07:13:43 PM »

You know it's funny, on the last page folks were saying it was petty for Clyburn to anti-endorse Nina in a Dem primary after she repeatedly insulted him, and then on this page we've got someone saying Nina was totally justified promulgating Trump's favorite conspiracy theories about Clinton and helping Stein in the general election because Hillary was allegedly mean to her boss (even though she gave Bernie an entire day of the convention to himself as a consolation prize for losing the primary).
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2021, 08:51:02 AM »

Interesting race. It's basically become national establishment vs progressives and local establishment. Turner's still got significantly more local support. I'm feeling high single digit to low double digit margin for Turner right now

Brown has more local endorsements than Turner.

It's funny, originally this race was framed as national progressive movement vs local politician.  Then Turner got a few local endorsements and Shontel got some national endorsements and now everyone's frames are all mixed up.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2021, 12:43:31 PM »

Nice to see some good news even if it is just an internal.  Lots of undecideds, and the momentum belongs to Brown.  PredictIt closed to 3-1 odds today based on this poll.  Would be really nice to see Turner fail at her cynical attempt to buy the seat by lying about everything but her name in millions of dollars worth of ads.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2021, 05:59:33 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2021, 06:03:49 PM by GeneralMacArthur »

Very funny watching the DNC try to cancel Turner for Maybe Not Voting Blue 5 years ago while elevating the worst of the #NeverBernie coalition. Or turning a blind eye to the people who actively backed Republicans over progressives.

Not letting Turner run unopposed is not canceling and I do think that her allegedly not voting Democratic is a valid topic of discussion when she is seeking the Democratic nomination in a heavily Democratic district.

Sure, I can agree with all those things. I actually had Brown winning this race in the beginning because of how insular and Online the Bernieverse had been in 2020.

Where it starts to become "canceling" is when the national establishment blatantly steps in to try and save a failed candidate because of her transgressions. 5 years is a very long time - nobody ever questioned Kyrsten Sinema's commitment to the Democratic Party in her primary for the House. I can go on and on about the ex-Republicans that Dems have welcomed in over the years, but I know a good chunk of the anti-Nina people here didn't keep that same energy when Brad Ashford endorsed and campaigned with literal Republicans. Not "voting blue no matter who" only seems to be a cancellable offense when the "blue" is on the left.

It's also especially amusing when people like you attempt to "hold Nina accountable" when you gladly promised to do the same thing if the left got the nomination.

So how is Brown a "failed candidate"?  Turner started this race with a massive advantage due to her pre-existing massive fundraising network, guaranteed heavy-hitter endorsements, and strong connections with PACs and journalists in Bernie's orbit.  Meanwhile I remember when Shontel's tweets were getting single-digit likes and I was the only person retweeting her.  The fact that we're even talking about this as a competitive race makes the Brown campaign a major success.

Also the difference between Nina and Sinema is Nina burned a lot more bridges and not only has she made zero effort to repair them (she just lies and says "I always loved these bridges and never burned them") she's still going around burning them under the radar!  She was applauding Killer Mike for calling Clyburn "incredibly stupid" and then when he endorsed Brown she dismissed him as "the past" and "corporate establishment"
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2021, 10:44:07 AM »
« Edited: July 15, 2021, 10:51:28 AM by GeneralMacArthur »

Also, no one is trying to "cancel" Turner. Stop being ridiculous.

From the getgo, Turner was the one acting as if she *deserved* the nomination. Maybe it's good someone knocked her down a few pegs and made her realize she's not inevitable here.

Repeating the same argument I already refuted doesn't make it any more true. Given the DNC's continued platforming of others who conditionalized their vote from the right, it's clear that Turner is being cancelled because they don't want another progressive in the House.

See this is where the far left loses people. Shontel Brown is not a republican. It's always the 'far left' vs everyone else in the Democratic Party. You know you can be a progressive and be a Democrat without being like Nina Turner, right?
Correct; Shontel Brown is not a progressive however and her transphobia should disqualify her from even approaching a victory in a democratic primary in and of itself; that it hasn't done so is disappointing.

And where is the proof that Brown is transphobic?
I mean, read the thread? It’s on page 13.

One of the many, many, many extremely annoying and juvenile things the Nina Turner left likes to do is:

1) Take one single incident or statement from a politician, that's either obviously out of step with their actual beliefs/personality, or possible to misrepresent as such by taking it out of context and/or lying about it

2) Try to convince everyone that incident/statement is completely representative of their actual beliefs/personality, and everything else they've done to the contrary can be dismissed as "just an act"

3) Hyperbolize about it to absurd, comical extremes

4) Use the hyperbole as a weapon to try and cancel the politician and ruthlessly attack anyone who dares to support her

It's a pattern we see over and over again and now we're seeing them do it by labeling Shontel Brown a "transphobe" over one single incident where she accidentally misgendered someone and then immediately apologized.

Never mind the thousands of other times where she's spoken about trans people without misgendering them.  Never mind that it was obviously a mistake and she apologized for it.  Nope, they're going to pretend that she was doing it on purpose to let us know what a transphobe she is, and all the other times she's been respectful of trans people are just putting on an act to hide her transphobia.  Of course just misgendering someone once doesn't make you a transphobe, especially since she obviously wasn't doing it in an asshole Tucker Carlson way to signal that she doesn't respect the transition, but if they're going to lie about Shontel, why not go all the way?  Shontel Brown is basically a member of the Westboro Baptist Church and you are a terrible, terrible, terrible person if you support her!

It's just so obviously childish, manipulative and dishonest, and I don't get how more people aren't insulted by leftists like sawx constantly trying to lie to us with this kind of crap.  Like why am I the only one on Atlas with the balls to call this crap out for what it is?  Why am I the only one who notices these patterns?
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2021, 10:55:07 AM »

Well the people who voted brown prior to a month back had some valuable insights into this race. I would change my rating to lean-Shontel Brown.

I voted Shontel Brown five months ago, and here's what I wrote then.  Of course this was before Nina got a solid set of local endorsements as well, but most of the points still hold up:

I don't know why Brown's supporters haven't updated that Wikipedia article, but on Twitter I've seen her getting endorsements from dozens of state/local officials, unions, and other organizations.

Meanwhile Turner's section of the article lists a bunch of people who don't live in Ohio.  Yeah I'm not surprised she got endorsed by Krystal Ball, Shaun King, Marianne Williamson, Susan Sarandon and Ilhan Omar.  I don't think those endorsements will carry much weight in OH-11.  But they certainly make her endorsements list really long.

Clinton beat Sanders by 56-43 in 2016, but in the 11th district she stomped him 68-32.  Obviously there's no signal from 2020 because Biden trashed Sanders everywhere in the state.  But Nina's entire set of endorsements just frames her as "Bernie's candidate" which I don't think is an advantage in the 11th district.

So from a million miles away, it looks to me like one candidate is running a national campaign while the other is running a very local campaign.  Nina has endorsements from Bernie and his crew of Hollywood celebrities, Justice Dem congresswomen, YouTubers and podcast hosts.  Shontel doesn't have any podcast hosts on her side but she does have the 11th district steelworker's union or whatever.  Which will matter more?

There's also the fact that Shontel is likely to score the endorsement of Fudge herself.  That could end up being all that matters.

I could be wrong of course, Nina is going to have a massive fundraising advantage (she's already outraising Shontel 15-1) from running her national campaign.  But from the votes in this poll you'd think Shontel only has a 3-5% chance of winning and I'd definitely take those odds.  Cenk Uygur spent nearly $2,000,000 on his CA-25 Congressional run and ended up getting 4%.  You can't just buy seats these days.

There's also the split race factor -- Nina could win with 30% just like the Sanders campaign planned to during the primary.  Hopefully Marcia Fudge's endorsement will clear the field for Brown.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies