Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:53:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)  (Read 136420 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« on: December 15, 2020, 01:56:27 PM »

Turner's the very clear front-runner.

I wouldn't go that far yet. She's got the national name, yes, but she's a big progressive in a district that hasn't been all that progressive to date. She's also gonna be going up against whomever Fudge & the Cuyahoga Democratic Party put their support behind, & that sure as hell won't be Turner. That's carried a TON of weight in this district before. This'll certainly be a fascinating & interesting primary to watch, though, but Turner definitely has an uphill battle in it.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 11:58:18 PM »

Nina Turner's son is a police officer, and her husband is a retired police officer.

Will that disqualify her?

She'll be seen as part of the corrupt system. Once you are a part of the "family", you are complicit.

The Democratic Party has a strain of anti-police sentiment baked in with the leftwing movements.

https://www.democracynow.org/2016/7/18/my_heart_aches_sen_nina_turner

bronz, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent statement were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, & may God have mercy on your soul.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 10:43:19 PM »

Nina Turner's son is a police officer, and her husband is a retired police officer.

Will that disqualify her?

She'll be seen as part of the corrupt system. Once you are a part of the "family", you are complicit.

The Democratic Party has a strain of anti-police sentiment baked in with the leftwing movements.

https://www.democracynow.org/2016/7/18/my_heart_aches_sen_nina_turner

bronz, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent statement were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, & may God have mercy on your soul.

It's not dumb what I said, it is the truth. When people find out that she is connected to cops, she could lose her leftwing base.

No, caricaturing the left as a group that will cancel somebody because their relatives are police officers is indeed dumb.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 04:54:19 PM »

Will be interesting to see if raising this much so quickly ends up discouraging any potential challengers from jumping in.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 05:04:30 PM »

Folks, I know this forum severely underestimates the political savvyness of left wingers but come on. There's no way Nina Turner is dumb enough to punt away a safe house seat just so she can be the sacrificial lamb we put up in 2024.

Well, candidates have done so before (e.g., Tulsi Gabbard & John Delaney this cycle), so it's not exactly out of the question, but if her presidential primary chances against Kamala aren't looking so hot (as they presumably won't), then she'd probably just pull a Booker/Inslee/Ryan/Swalwell/Moulton/Rubio/Paul & jump back into her incumbent race before the filing deadline.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 02:24:21 PM »

Do we really need another squad member?

There's a non-0 chance she's not admitted. IIRC, she said in an interview (which I wanna say was with the Hill?) that she wants to put some "backbone" into the Squad so, y'know, seems like they'd be off to a great start in their relationship.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 03:21:47 PM »

Now that Fudge has resigned, has the election been scheduled yet?

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 01:02:59 AM »

Please stay on-topic for OH-11. Israel/Palestine discussion can take place at International General Discussions.

But what had been said was on-topic for OH-11 on-balance? And it wasn't even "Israel/Palestine discussion," it was just pointing out how a criticism which had been lodged in the thread against Ted Deutch's OH-11 endorsement (so, an on-topic matter) served to invoke an anti-Semitic trope, & didn't really delve beyond that discussion as to how that on-topic criticism was potentially anti-Semitic.

Am I missing something here?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 07:26:43 PM »

Why it takes a year to full a vacant seat.

It won't. It will take eight months. As for why? It's Ohio law. As was said above, there are only three valid special election dates in Ohio: the first Monday after the first Tuesday in May, August, and November. It's also Ohio law that the special election can only be scheduled once a seat is vacant. County Boards of Election are mailing overseas ballots for this year's May primary this week, so the seat is being filled as soon as legally possible.

Fudge resigned 11 days ago, though, so were those ballots already being printed & mailed out by Mar. 10th? Because if not, then it seems to me that they could've just stuck to the original May/Aug. timetable without many (if any) headaches.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2021, 03:03:04 PM »

Why it takes a year to full a vacant seat.

It won't. It will take eight months. As for why? It's Ohio law. As was said above, there are only three valid special election dates in Ohio: the first Monday after the first Tuesday in May, August, and November. It's also Ohio law that the special election can only be scheduled once a seat is vacant. County Boards of Election are mailing overseas ballots for this year's May primary this week, so the seat is being filled as soon as legally possible.

Fudge resigned 11 days ago, though, so were those ballots already being printed & mailed out by Mar. 10th? Because if not, then it seems to me that they could've just stuck to the original May/Aug. timetable without many (if any) headaches.

Again, the election can't be called until there is an actual vacancy. It would be absurd to allow County Boards of Election to print ballots for a hypothetical election for numerous reasons.

That's not an answer to the question which I asked. What I pointed to was the fact that the vacancy actually occurred 11 (now 12) days ago, & I asked whether ballots were already in the process of being printed at that point in time - 12 days ago now - when the vacancy became official? If so, then the Aug./Nov. timetable is a totally & completely understandable decision (albeit one with negative consequences) taken in comport with the law on this matter. If not, then I see no reason as to why they couldn't have just stuck with a May/Aug. timetable.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 09:20:28 AM »

ugh, can OH-11 Dems not get anyone better than Nina Turner?

What's wrong with Nina Turner? She's awesome.

I mean, she compared voting for Biden to literally "eating a bowl of sh*t," not-so-subtly encouraged people to vote for Jill Stein in 2016, & never even won a contested election (before this primary, that is). Even if one tends to agree with her more often than not on matters of policy, it can't be denied that she can quite literally put a bad taste in people's mouths.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 01:18:45 PM »

I mean, she compared voting for Biden to literally "eating a bowl of sh*t," not-so-subtly encouraged people to vote for Jill Stein in 2016, & never even won a contested election (before this primary, that is). Even if one tends to agree with her more often than not on matters of policy, it can't be denied that she can quite literally put a bad taste in people's mouths.

To be fair, I think she said that voting for Biden was life eating half the bowl instead of the whole thing.

In no way does that somehow put the statement in a better light.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 05:04:46 PM »

To be fair, I think she said that voting for Biden was life eating half the bowl instead of the whole thing.

There's nothing wrong with it. There are/were many legitimate criticisms of Biden from the left. I say this as someone whose expectations Biden has surpassed, but I really dislike the sentiment from some people that Biden is immune from criticism. He is not the messiah and progressives are allowed to call him out.

Nowhere do I believe that I expressed any sentiments to the effect of implying or even outright stating that I believe that he's immune from criticism, that he's the messiah, &/or that progressives aren't allowed to call him out (though I'll fully admit to expressing my own personal opinion as somebody who disagreed with her "bowl of sh*t" statement that a technicality thereof didn't exactly make it look better from the perspective of somebody who already disagrees with it to begin with). But when SnowLabrador asked, "What's wrong with Nina Turner?," I offered in response a variety of valid reasons that many Democrats can have for not supporting her, just as there can be a variety of valid reasons - including that which both you & Calthrina950 pointed to - that many Democrats can have for supporting her. It's not like this is exactly a situation of mutual exclusivities here.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 10:01:25 AM »

Nina Turner endorsed by CPC. Not particularly surprising, I guess, but it is notable that Turner seems to be getting support even from mainstream progressives.
That's because the left wing version of the tea party has taken over the Democratic Party.

It has not. It's less than 10% of the Dem caucus.

It has, however, essentially blunted the rise of Warren/Porter like progressives in favor of the Sanders/Corbyn wing.
1. Corbyn is not an American politician so this statement is inherently absurd
2. Sanders is not comparable, especially on Anti Semitism for reasons that should be obvious

*Chris Matthews has entered the chat.*
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2021, 08:43:04 PM »

Ngl, this is actually a pretty surprising endorsement, as Griffin is very much a member of the establishment wing: he was literally just a Biden delegate last year. He should've been one of the surest gets for Brown, who's obviously much more connected to the Cuyahoga County Dems. Maybe Griffin just sees the writing on the wall & wants to curry favor with his constituents' next member of Congress so he can more easily be able to work with her in the future?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 11:21:42 AM »

Ngl, this is actually a pretty surprising endorsement, as Griffin is very much a member of the establishment wing: he was literally just a Biden delegate last year. He should've been one of the surest gets for Brown, who's obviously much more connected to the Cuyahoga County Dems. Maybe Griffin just sees the writing on the wall & wants to curry favor with his constituents' next member of Congress so he can more easily be able to work with her in the future?

Yeah, I'm convinced of the bolded now, given the mayor's endorsement.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2021, 09:09:45 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2021, 09:17:24 PM by brucejoel99 »

A lot of her talk is merely that. I fully expect her to be an indistinguishable progressive in office aside from a few odd comments said here and there for her ventures in wider politics.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnd I’m right

https://mobile.twitter.com/unapologeticYT/status/1376723147500744705

Let me check my surprise meter... nope, still nothing.

Nina Turner will be the 3rd Congressperson endorsed by the DSA, correct?

5th, I believe: AOC and Tlaib (2018), Bowman and Bush (2020).

6th, actually: Bernie (in both his House & Senate campaigns).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2021, 03:34:23 PM »

Literally why do people here hate Turner.

For a bit of a rundown, see:

There's nothing wrong with it. There are/were many legitimate criticisms of Biden from the left. I say this as someone whose expectations Biden has surpassed, but I really dislike the sentiment from some people that Biden is immune from criticism. He is not the messiah and progressives are allowed to call him out.

Nowhere do I believe that I expressed any sentiments to the effect of implying or even outright stating that I believe that he's immune from criticism, that he's the messiah, &/or that progressives aren't allowed to call him out (though I'll fully admit to expressing my own personal opinion as somebody who disagreed with her "bowl of sh*t" statement that a technicality thereof didn't exactly make it look better from the perspective of somebody who already disagrees with it to begin with). But when SnowLabrador asked, "What's wrong with Nina Turner?," I offered in response a variety of valid reasons that many Democrats can have for not supporting her, just as there can be a variety of valid reasons - including that which both you & Calthrina950 pointed to - that many Democrats can have for supporting her. It's not like this is exactly a situation of mutual exclusivities here.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2021, 02:12:12 PM »

If that’s it, then the hate is way over blown and incredibly stupid

All else aside, it still seems a bit unfair to refer to some people's not exactly being thrilled about somebody who wasn't not okay with people voting for Jill Stein & thus indirectly helped to give Trump the White House in 2016 as "incredibly stupid," but sure, whatever floats your boat, I guess.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2021, 02:17:07 AM »

All else aside, it still seems a bit unfair to refer to some people's not exactly being thrilled about somebody who wasn't not okay with people voting for Jill Stein & thus indirectly helped to give Trump the White House in 2016 as "incredibly stupid," but sure, whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Broke: rehashing 2020

Woke: rehashing 2016

In all seriousness, she'll vote with the dems when she needs to. What she said is stupid, but that's one thing and considering atlas is losing their minds over her, its certainly an overreaction

This is quite the overstatement.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2021, 10:18:58 AM »

Broke: rehashing 2020

Woke: rehashing 2016

In all seriousness, she'll vote with the dems when she needs to. What she said is stupid, but that's one thing and considering atlas is losing their minds over her, its certainly an overreaction

This is quite the overstatement.

I've read this thread, people are

Then you've read a different thread than the rest of us, because in no universe does some people expressing mild-to-moderate displeasure with the Turner candidacy equate to all of Atlas losing their minds.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2021, 08:12:07 PM »

The Chad Clyburn >>> the Virgin GMac.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2021, 07:05:39 PM »

Based & fudgepilled.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2021, 10:16:59 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2021, 10:22:36 PM by brucejoel99 »

How long after Turner wins does she give a speech suggesting we impeach Joe Biden for eco-terrorism because he didn't pass the Green New Deal by executive order?

Or maybe that's a bit hyperbolic, perhaps she just goes on Joe Rogan's podcast and trashes Biden/Kamala for 35 solid minutes, then pretends she has no idea why right-wing think tanks and GOP strategists are tweeting it all over the place and using it in ads.

The Biden Boys in this thread are off their rockers.

Hey, whatever you do, don't look at me, y'all, I said my piece on & made my peace with Congresswoman Turner months ago, the latter aspect of which is presumably something that - let alone presumably more than - I presume the likes of GMac will ever be able to do. I'm just in the business of trying to make halfhearted-but-still-somehow-witty quips at this point.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2021, 10:40:07 PM »

The main question I have is why Fudge even wanted to be Secretary of Housing and Urban Development in the first place.

She didn’t. She wanted Agriculture and she spoke publicly about how she thinks black Cabinet members are often shunted to HUD.

Then why did she say yes? To my knowledge the president has no ability to force HUD upon an unwilling candidate.

Something something "when the President asks you to serve," something something "everything else is crap."
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies