January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:31:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 ... 151
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 141858 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2325 on: July 18, 2023, 04:57:40 PM »

Sadly the base will probably side with Trump Jr here
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2326 on: July 18, 2023, 05:03:09 PM »

Sadly the base will probably side with Trump Jr here

BREAKING NEWS: Donald Trump (Jr.) on Donald Trump's side.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2327 on: July 18, 2023, 06:38:06 PM »

This is not necessarily an exhaustive list.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2328 on: July 18, 2023, 07:02:31 PM »

Unfortunate but not surprising no incitement charge. (granted not for sure yet)
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #2329 on: July 18, 2023, 07:15:17 PM »

Unfortunate but not surprising no incitement charge. (granted not for sure yet)

Incitement has a very high legal bar to prove, even if it's abundantly clear he did incite the insurrection by the colloquial understanding of the term. I'm okay with them not pursuing that charge and focusing on the things that are easier to prove under the law.
Redban

« Reply #2330 on: July 18, 2023, 07:34:56 PM »

On the 16-person Michigan fake-elector charge:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/michigan-attorney-general-charges-false-electors-efforts-overturn-2020-rcna94838

Michele Lundgren, who was also charged, previously told local television station WDIV that she thought she was signing an attendance sheet for a meeting.

"I didn't even know what an elector was, let alone a fake elector," she told the station.

^^ the classic "I'm a moron!" defense.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #2331 on: July 18, 2023, 08:07:24 PM »

Great! This will wrap up the GOP nomination for Trump now. The more times he's indicted, the stronger he becomes.

I know we've all gotten numb to it, but it's actually insane when you think being indicted helps a candidate to secure the nomination. I couldn't imagine something like this in a Democratic primary.

I think it’s the charges.. he’s not really facing murder, rape, or theft charges, which people would understand. The charges are either too complicated for the common man (Mar a’ Lago), are directly related to a political election and therefore provoke partisan reactions (January 6th & GA), or are just plain trash (Bragg’s case). There’s no real identifiable victim who suffered injury in any of the charges, unless you get real vague and say “The American people as a whole are victims!”

Ah, he didn't murder anyone, so it's all good, eh?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #2332 on: July 18, 2023, 08:28:34 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2023, 08:32:32 PM by S019 »

DeSantis on CNN

First question: “if Jack smith has evidence that Trump committed a crime, should Smith bring those charges”

Then Desantis starts talking about Alvin Bragg. He goes on and on without ever giving an answer to the question (and he was asked twice). I’m becoming more understanding of how DeSantis’ campaign has been going downhill

Cause all DeSantis can do is try to dodge these questions because if he answers “yes trump should be indicted” , his chances at the gop nomination would completely go up in smoke .

If DeSantis wants to be the anti-Trump candidate, then he needs to start acting like it.

People who are angry about a Trump indictment are already voting for Trump. He gains nothing by defending Trump every step of the way.

Maybe the primary system has lost its usage and we should junk it completely

It never had any usage but we’ve seen the hostile takeover of one party and came pretty close to the hostile takeover of another party. It’s clear it should be abolished for the good of the country.

Great! This will wrap up the GOP nomination for Trump now. The more times he's indicted, the stronger he becomes.

This celebration in this post in light of everything suggests extreme ignorance. What will all of you who cheer him becoming the nominee do if he actually wins? Pretend that you learned the lessons of 2016 and 2020?
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #2333 on: July 18, 2023, 08:58:41 PM »

DeSantis on CNN

First question: “if Jack smith has evidence that Trump committed a crime, should Smith bring those charges”

Then Desantis starts talking about Alvin Bragg. He goes on and on without ever giving an answer to the question (and he was asked twice). I’m becoming more understanding of how DeSantis’ campaign has been going downhill

Cause all DeSantis can do is try to dodge these questions because if he answers “yes trump should be indicted” , his chances at the gop nomination would completely go up in smoke .

If DeSantis wants to be the anti-Trump candidate, then he needs to start acting like it.

People who are angry about a Trump indictment are already voting for Trump. He gains nothing by defending Trump every step of the way.

It never had any usage but we’ve seen the hostile takeover of one party and came pretty close to the hostile takeover of another party. It’s clear it should be abolished for the good of the country.

This celebration in this post in light of everything suggests extreme ignorance. What will all of you who cheer him becoming the nominee do if he actually wins? Pretend that you learned the lessons of 2016 and 2020?

They'll just say "cry harder, libs."
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2334 on: July 18, 2023, 09:00:06 PM »

DeSantis on CNN

Calm down, dude. I'm totally kidding. I've been anti-Trump from the beginning. Read my other posts. I find both Trump and DeSantis the biggest threats to our democracy in this race
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2335 on: July 18, 2023, 09:48:47 PM »

DeSantis on CNN

Calm down, dude. I'm totally kidding. I've been anti-Trump from the beginning. Read my other posts. I find both Trump and DeSantis the biggest threats to our democracy in this race

I know you are anti Trump, I meant the semi-ironic boosting of Trump that is seen from some liberal posters here since they think he’d be easier to beat.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2336 on: July 18, 2023, 10:58:45 PM »

"If conservatives become convinced that they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy."
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2337 on: July 18, 2023, 11:07:31 PM »

"If conservatives become convinced that they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy."

No other nation uses a primary system anywhere to the extent we do . In the UK for example , party leaders select the top 2 candidates and then the party's voters select their party leader from that top 2 and in Canada , candidates need a certain amount of endorsements before allowed to run for party leader.

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2338 on: July 19, 2023, 12:21:00 AM »

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/03/party-primaries-must-go/618428/

Primaries are not true democracy, what happens is they just elevate the most extreme candidates because candidates campaign for the most fringe 20-30% of a party which is enough to win many open primaries. The electorates in them are ridiculously unrepresentative and that leads to two candidates who are ridiculously unrepresentative of what the average voter wants.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #2339 on: July 19, 2023, 03:30:54 AM »

I’m all for ending primaries. They’re a relatively new thing for America anyway, and the voters haven’t put forth that many greats.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2340 on: July 19, 2023, 04:59:23 AM »

No other nation uses a primary system anywhere to the extent we do . In the UK for example , party leaders select the top 2 candidates and then the party's voters select their party leader from that top 2 and in Canada , candidates need a certain amount of endorsements before allowed to run for party leader.

I never thought I’d hear the day where you said we should be more like Canada or the UK.

Personally I think it’s good that we have a system where grassroots candidates can win.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2341 on: July 19, 2023, 08:45:15 AM »

LOL

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2342 on: July 19, 2023, 08:49:24 AM »

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2343 on: July 19, 2023, 10:04:31 AM »

What are the chances that eventually for one of these indictments, Trumps draws an exceptionally anti-MAGA judge who just decides to remand him to custody pending trial?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2344 on: July 19, 2023, 10:59:55 AM »

I think not likely. The judge will probably be anti maga but Trump has a good argument that he's not a flight risk since the Secret Service is on his *** 24/7. But it's possible the judge could impose a gag order in the case.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2345 on: July 19, 2023, 11:51:39 AM »

https://www.dogshirtdaily.com/p/can-we-identify-the-trump-indictment?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

“We basically know three things, two of them from Trump, and one of them from the press. From Trump we know (1) that he received the target letter on Sunday, and that (2) it gave him four days to come into the grand jury. From the press, we know (3) that one of Smith’s senior prosecutors was spending quality time with the grand jury last week.”

“This last fact is important, because it suggests that prosecutors may have already presented their case to the grand jury and have held off only on having the grand jury vote on whether to hand up the charges. In other words, it suggests that the gun is loaded and the safety is off. They don’t need any additional time or steps before pulling the trigger.”

“Counting four days from Sunday would bring us to Thursday evening…. So I’m thinking an indictment on Thursday or Friday is the most likely scenario.”
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2346 on: July 19, 2023, 03:03:01 PM »

Special counsel's target letter to Trump in 2020 election probe cites three federal statutes
Trump disclosed on Tuesday that he had received the letter and said it gave him just days to decide whether to testify before the grand jury investigating the case.

The letter that former President Donald Trump received from special counsel Jack Smith informing him that he is a target of the federal investigation into efforts to overturn the 2020 presidential election mentions three federal statutes related to the deprivation of rights, conspiracy to defraud the U.S., and tampering with a witness.

Those three federal statutes were included in the letter Trump said he received on Sunday night, according to two attorneys with direct knowledge of the document. The context surrounding the statutes cited in the target letter is unclear, and their inclusion in the letter doesn't necessarily mean Trump will be charged with related counts or that an indictment would be limited to only those three statutes.

The details of the letter were first reported by The Wall Street Journal.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/special-counsels-target-letter-trump-2020-election-probe-cites-three-f-rcna95096

^ NBC confirming

The deprivation of rights is a civil rights statute, not clear how it applies here.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2347 on: July 19, 2023, 03:38:12 PM »

It seems like the reference to deprivation of rights is about 18 USC 242:

Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom, willfully subjects any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States … shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both; and if bodily injury results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include the use, attempted use, or threatened use of a dangerous weapon, explosives, or fire, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

There’s language in there about the deprivation being on account of race/color/alienage, but I feel like that must be modifying a different clause than the one I quoted (specifically a clause I left out about disparate treatment under the law) because I doubt they’d try to argue that January 6 or Stop the Steal were race-based in court. I don’t think that’s provable beyond a reasonable doubt.

Edit: DoJ website confirms my reading
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2348 on: July 19, 2023, 03:57:59 PM »

Trump called potential upcoming charges by Jack Smith "Election Interference".

There are already Groups out who want to kick Trump off the Presidential Ballot citing the 14th Amendment, Section 3.

Fourteenth Amendment, Section 3:​

"No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any state, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability."

I wonder if Smith will have enough evidence to kick Trump off the Ballot.

If MI AG Dana Nessel can charge 16 Fake Electors, which she did what are the chances MI SoS Jocelyn Benson kicks Trump off the MI Primary Ballot?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2349 on: July 19, 2023, 06:03:35 PM »

LOL

For the Speaker of the House to push conspiracy theories like this, and undermine our justice system is pathetic.
The majority of GOP leadership is trash, and anyone who continues to support these fools is complicit with their destruction of our nation and democracy.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 ... 151  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies