Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:58:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 ... 284
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 344626 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1950 on: October 24, 2021, 08:08:19 PM »

What an absurd false equivalency, gass.

You are comparing a private school to govt school boards covering up the rape of a girl, in part due to transgender policy changes enacted a couple of years ago (regarding limits on how schools should report incidents)

The reason people are angry is because the father of the girl raped in Loudon county was arrested/tarnished by the same school board that we now know completely covered up the incident.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1951 on: October 24, 2021, 08:12:06 PM »

Youngkin bringing up blackface over a relatively popular governor says all you need to know about his pathetic campaign's chances with one week out.  LOL

Nothing wrong with pointing out hypocrisy. Someone truly into racial justice wouldn't be happy with terrance literally poo-pooing and shrugging away a kkk picture and blackface.

Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1952 on: October 24, 2021, 08:12:45 PM »

For context, very few people are angry or talking about this story that blue avatars keep drumming up.  I live less than a half hour from this school and have only heard cries of outrage from blue avatars on this website.  Youngkin's opportunism aside, no Virginia voters care.  Youngkin will lose and blue avatars will scratch their heads why.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1953 on: October 24, 2021, 08:13:29 PM »

Youngkin bringing up blackface over a relatively popular governor says all you need to know about his pathetic campaign's chances with one week out.  LOL

Nothing wrong with pointing out hypocrisy. Someone truly into racial justice wouldn't be happy with terrance literally poo-pooing and shrugging away a kkk picture and blackface.

Yeah sure.  It just shows how utterly desperate Youngkin's failed campaign is.  Reminds me a lot of the MS-13 last minute ads. 
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1954 on: October 24, 2021, 08:33:09 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2021, 11:23:58 PM by Brittain33 »

Non Swing Voter is actually one of the most intelligent posters here.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1955 on: October 24, 2021, 08:45:26 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2021, 11:23:11 PM by Brittain33 »

Strong disagree. Non Swing Voter is actually one of the most intelligent posters here.

Thanks.  I don't know if I'd say that.  But he also called me a troll and a hack right around the time I was predicting the polls were off in CA and that Newsom would coast to victory.  After the results came in it was clear that I was 100% right about that race and he was way off base.  He said it would be a 10 point margin.  He said latinos would swing considerably to the GOP, particularly in SoCal.  None of that happened.  Afterwards he didn't apologize or say, yeah I guess you were correct.  Nope, I'm the hack.  If you look at my past predictions I've been very measured and have been fairly close to actual results in most cases.  I am not so insecure as to actually delete my past incorrect predictions or rewrite history.  
roxas11
United States

« Reply #1956 on: October 24, 2021, 09:51:47 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2021, 10:54:42 PM by roxas11 »

Youngkin bringing up blackface over a relatively popular governor says all you need to know about his pathetic campaign's chances with one week out.  LOL

While I agree with you that Youngkin has every right to bring up the issue if he wants to. I do think that it's odd that he is doing this at this stage of the race and frankly if he was winning there is no chance that he would even have to resort to these kinds of desperate attacks in the first place

If Youngkin was winning right now there would be no need to ever bring up Ralph Northam because even if voters voter agreed with on him on the Dems hypocrisy over blackface, I still think most people do not care about this issue at all and others see it as old news that they have moved on from a long time ago

Ultimately it's simply not a good sign for Youngkin at all that he feels at this stage of the campaign that he needs to focus more on what Ralph Northam may have done 30 years ago than on actually convincing voters to support him and his policies
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1957 on: October 24, 2021, 09:55:13 PM »

While I agree with you that Youngkin has every right to bring up the issue up if he wants to. I do think that it's odd that he is doing this at this stage of the race and frankly if he was winning there is no chance that he would even have to resort to these kinds of desperate attacks in the first place

If Youngkin was winning right now there would be no need to ever bring up Ralph Northam because even if voters voter agreed with on him on the Dems hypocrisy over blackface, I still think most people do not care about this issue at all and others see it as old news that they have moved on from a long time ago

Ultimately it's simply not a good sign for Youngkin at all that he feels at this stage of the campaign that he needs to focus more on what Ralph Northam may have done 30 years ago than on actually convincing voters to support him and his policies

Exactly!!  And it's a sign that his voters aren't engaged to the extent they need to be.  This is not going to convince any of the moderate swing voters in NOVA and outside Richmond (that he needs desperately to win) to vote for him.  This is red meat for his base.  And it flies in the face of the analysis here that the GOP is more engaged than Dems.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #1958 on: October 24, 2021, 11:23:59 PM »

I'm gonna go a little off topic here but circle back to Virginia politics...

The most educated states generally have done incredibly well getting their citizens inoculated from covid. Many of these are also states considered to be quite liberal...New Hampshire, Penn, Delaware, D.C., Minnesota, Hawaii, Oregon, California, Colorado. Each of these states has a lower adult (this is also voting age) full vaccination rate than Virginia does. To me this really speaks volumes, it shows Virginians aren't easily fooled and do well making educated choices. This is yet another reason why I believe T.Mac will be elected to his second term as governor. Am I crazy or do you agree?
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1959 on: October 24, 2021, 11:28:27 PM »

I'm gonna go a little off topic here but circle back to Virginia politics...

The most educated states generally have done incredibly well getting their citizens inoculated from covid. Many of these are also states considered to be quite liberal...New Hampshire, Penn, Delaware, D.C., Minnesota, Hawaii, Oregon, California, Colorado. Each of these states has a lower adult (this is also voting age) full vaccination rate than Virginia does. To me this really speaks volumes, it shows Virginians aren't easily fooled and do well making educated choices. This is yet another reason why I believe T.Mac will be elected to his second term as governor. Am I crazy or do you agree?

No I agree.  It's an educated and increasingly liberal state.  There are few if any swing voters.  There is no evidence that they are defecting to the GOP other than a bunch of polls by pollsters who were just off by 10-15 points in the CA Recall race + some anecdotal evidence about signs in Asian areas of Fairfax.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1960 on: October 24, 2021, 11:41:52 PM »

Shameful behavior
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1961 on: October 25, 2021, 03:25:30 AM »

Bold prediction?

Herring and Ayala both underperform McAuliffe. If the gubernatorial race is within 2 points I think Herring loses and Ayala could easily lose.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1962 on: October 25, 2021, 04:03:13 AM »

They are spending all this morning ney on a DLC Dem Terry he is no different than Newsom whom promised Golden State stimulus after the Election to avoid the Recall and nothing happened
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1963 on: October 25, 2021, 05:46:08 AM »

Shameful behavior

Imagine actually believing this Roll Eyes
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1964 on: October 25, 2021, 06:08:08 AM »

Saying how traditional and boring Youngkin is misses the point imo  people default to viewing party candidates through the national brand. So Youngkin is tainted by his association with Trump and what the 2021 Republican Party stands for. To get away from that, he doesn't just need to not be like Donald Trump but actually clearly differentiate himself from the national party, and have his own distinctive identity.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1965 on: October 25, 2021, 07:33:33 AM »

Youngkin bringing up blackface over a relatively popular governor says all you need to know about his pathetic campaign's chances with one week out.  LOL

While I agree with you that Youngkin has every right to bring up the issue if he wants to. I do think that it's odd that he is doing this at this stage of the race and frankly if he was winning there is no chance that he would even have to resort to these kinds of desperate attacks in the first place

Your analysis based on couple (out of hundreds) of ads? Ok. Why do you think, these are "desperate attacks"? IMO, these kinds of ads might be effective into lowering enthusiasm among some D electorate.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1966 on: October 25, 2021, 08:03:33 AM »

👀
roxas11
United States

« Reply #1967 on: October 25, 2021, 08:26:53 AM »
« Edited: October 25, 2021, 08:38:33 AM by roxas11 »

Your analysis based on couple (out of hundreds) of ads? Ok. Why do you think, these are "desperate attacks"? IMO, these kinds of ads might be effective into lowering enthusiasm among some D electorate.

Those attacks come off as desperate to me because it honestly seems like Glenn Youngkin is just throwing random things against the wall in order to so what sticks. It makes me wonder if the attacks on education is as effective as Republicans have been saying because if those attacks are working, then why suddenly start talking about an old Ralph Northam controversy a week before the election

Something about that just feels off to me because if Glenn youngkin was winning I don't for 1 second think that we would be running any ads about Northam right about now

Also, as I said in my previous post I have no issue over the fact that Youngkin wants to bring this up, but I do question why he would even be talking about it this late in the race. If he wanted to make Ralph Northam an issue, then why did he not runs ads like this months ago

It makes no sense to me whatsoever that his campaign is suddenly telling voters a week before the election Hey, remember that black face controversy from 2019 lol

I also don't buy the idea that this in any way is lowering enthusiasm among the D electorate. If anything, these ads makes clear to me that youngkin has still not taken the lead in the race and terry mcauliffe still has the advantage
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1968 on: October 25, 2021, 08:47:16 AM »

👀

This same exact headline and story could've came out in 2017. It's the same thing all over again. Not to mention, there is a story like this with every single Dem campaign, whether it was the CA recall or the NM special earlier this year.

Also - yes, suburban women are very interested in the topic of public education. But I don't think they're interested in anti-maskers showing up to school board meetings like lunatics or falling for the ridiculous CRT narrative.

A lot of these stories seem to think suburban women are still the caricature of a conservative suburban woman from the 1980s or something.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1969 on: October 25, 2021, 11:15:51 AM »

McAuliffe has now won the election as undoubtedly the voters will go to the polls and punish Youngkin for the actions of Liberty University
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1970 on: October 25, 2021, 11:34:09 AM »

McAuliffe has now won the election as undoubtedly the voters will go to the polls and punish Youngkin for the actions of Liberty University
MATTY OWNED.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1971 on: October 25, 2021, 12:07:24 PM »

Goddamnit...
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1972 on: October 25, 2021, 12:25:46 PM »

👀

Democrats have chronic Election Anxiety what’s new
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1973 on: October 25, 2021, 12:33:48 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2021, 12:39:15 PM by McAuliffe More Vulnerable than Tester »

First of all, the point wasn’t "bring[ing] up Ralph Northam" so much as it was reinforcing the perception of McAuliffe as a hypocrite who loves to brand himself like the reasonable adult in the room while behaving just like Trump when it comes to protecting his own party and those in his circles (the ad highlighted McAuliffe's defense of Northam, not Northam's actions). McAuliffe has consistently been tying Youngkin to the racist appeals of Trump, a supposedly 'un-scientific' approach to COVID, stolen election rhetoric, cultural extremism, etc., and what those ads do is turn the tables on him, exposing his rhetoric as hypocritical and performative. McAuliffe has been staking everything on tying Youngkin to Trump, so it’s not surprising to see Youngkin trying undermine this line of attack.

Second, you paint the impression that this "blackface" thing is somehow the dominant theme of his campaign, which it clearly isn’t. It’s not accurate to say that he isn’t "convincing voters to support him and his policies," but given how incredibly negative the McAuliffe campaign has been from day one (you could just as well spin that as a sign that McAuliffe feels like he needs the race to be nationalized to really feel good about his chances), he obviously has to counter unless you expect him to unilaterally surrender in what is a full-fledged war (especially against a professional electoral hitman like McAuliffe).

The one impression (and maybe some others will agree) I’ve gotten is that if you just observed their demeanor and didn’t know their actual party labels/positions, you’d be tempted (especially after the Trump era) to think that McAuliffe is the Republican and Youngkin the Democrat in this race. Youngkin comes across as much more level-headed, less erratic and negative, more optimistic/forward-looking, and more 'soothing' than McAuliffe. It’s quite different from the Gillespie 2017 campaign, which was arguably easier to paint as an inauthentic and transparent attempt at demagoguery designed to stir up Trumpian fears about illegals and caravans. Also, it was easier for Northam to pull off the reasonable moderate shtick when Donald Trump was actually in the White House. You can tell just how much McAuliffe/Democrats depend on Trump in this race — we’ll see how it pays off for them in states that are actually competitive in 2022.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1974 on: October 25, 2021, 01:23:44 PM »

Noted GOP activist is now just a "regular mom" in new Youngkin ad. This is just desperate.

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 ... 284  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies