California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:25:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 64
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 67039 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: October 01, 2023, 07:50:39 AM »

I think your bias in favor of Lee is clouding your analysis of the race a bit.

It could be, but if you can find anywhere that I've shifted my view of what's important in the race then I'd like to see it. Even before Lee entered the race it was clear in my view that the most important thing to win an election in California is institutional support, and I don't know why I would change that view now. The number of prominent Democrats who have come out and said that they believe that Barbara Lee should be appointed shows the strength of their support for her. Why would I change my view of the race now, a handful of polls taken before the start of the campaign wherein most of the voters are undecided?

If Lee actually were appointed, do people think she would win the primary? It seems to me like CA voters are pretty sick of having an octogenarian senator. And appointed Senators lose primaries all the time.

Do you have reason to believe that California voters are sick of having an octogenarian senator, or is that just how you would personally feel? The last time they had a choice, California voters overwhelmingly reelected an 85-year-old to the Senate, and in the 2020 Democratic primary the top two candidates by a huge margin were Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden. I'm sure you know that age is rarely a barrier to being elected in this country and I'm not sure why it seems to you that all of a sudden things would be different in California.

My view is that Lee has a strong chance of winning the election even without the benefit of incumbency and that being an incumbent would significantly help her chances. Clearly others agree or else there wouldn't be any resistance to her being appointed.
Yes. High risk of death in first or second term.

You've hammered this point into the ground, and everyone is well aware of your viewpoint on it.  Let it rest, please.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1026 on: October 01, 2023, 08:26:08 AM »

Lee is the same age as Trump 77 yrs old and she can hand it off eventually to one of her sons, when she passes or retires.  No one wants an elderly Senator, but we need blks in the SEN

The only ones that dont like Lee or Harris are Evangelical White men, like Redban, white females, blks and Latinos and Arabs love Harris and Lee

Maria Shriver can get in, but she doesn't want it and Porter and Schiff aren't Shriver. We are gonna have an Eday let the voters decide, but she is disease free like my Aunt whom is 85 not my mom whom died at 66
Burke Bro
omelott
Israel

« Reply #1027 on: October 01, 2023, 08:26:25 AM »
« Edited: October 01, 2023, 08:56:00 AM by greenchili02 »

Harris should resign from the vice presidency to fill the vacancy.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1028 on: October 01, 2023, 08:27:43 AM »
« Edited: October 01, 2023, 08:38:28 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Harris, Bass, Breed and Oprah are unavailable , after 1 or 2 T LEE will hand it off to her sons eventually

So, the user that points to age is null and void because Meeks family did the same in FL

The Rs demonized Barnes and he would of won without IAN
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1029 on: October 01, 2023, 09:04:31 AM »

Obviously this is unlikely, but if he's insisting on appointing a black woman:
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1030 on: October 01, 2023, 09:28:46 AM »

Not a chance
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #1031 on: October 01, 2023, 09:56:08 AM »

This type of article exists solely to make the Fox News base even angrier at Gavin Newsom because the GOP views him as a threat. There is no shot that he is seriously considering either of these.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1032 on: October 01, 2023, 10:10:36 AM »

They won't be Sen it will be Lee Oprah repeat said she wants to stay private, she sponsors the View and OWN and Markle isn't gonna be Sen.

Stop playing games it's gonna be Lee or Breed but Breed is mayor

If Oprah was appointed, he would have done it on Fri and not waisted Time
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #1033 on: October 01, 2023, 10:57:59 AM »

This type of article exists solely to make the Fox News base even angrier at Gavin Newsom because the GOP views him as a threat. There is no shot that he is seriously considering either of these.

Also didn’t Markle renounce her citizenship? So legally she CANT run for it even if she wanted to.

The guy who wrote this either has the brain power of a Lobster, or he’s just trying to piss off the average FOX News viewer, who also happens to have the brain power of a Lobster
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1034 on: October 01, 2023, 11:05:16 AM »

Press X for doubt.

Also, if actually one of them was appointed, I doubt they would want to serve as placeholder. Especially Markle would 100% run in 2024.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1035 on: October 01, 2023, 11:15:56 AM »

Peak Atlas is that people are unironically speculating about Harris. Also the Vice-President is a member of the Senate as its President, so it would be a clear downgrade and probably leave Biden without the VP and Senate tiebreaker for the rest of his term.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1036 on: October 01, 2023, 11:21:36 AM »

👀

Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #1037 on: October 01, 2023, 11:24:17 AM »

[tweet]

The Oprah part wouldn’t be calculated to make them mad; Oprah remains pretty popular across the political spectrum.

Anyway, it would be hilarious if Markle became Senator.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1038 on: October 01, 2023, 11:24:46 AM »

Peak Atlas is that people are unironically speculating about Harris. Also the Vice-President is a member of the Senate as its President, so it would be a clear downgrade and probably leave Biden without the VP and Senate tiebreaker for the rest of his term.

Just appoint a new Vice President. The Senate isn’t currently tied.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1039 on: October 01, 2023, 11:24:50 AM »

It was never Oprah
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1040 on: October 01, 2023, 11:32:13 AM »

A new VP has to be approved by both the House and Senate.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1041 on: October 01, 2023, 12:06:20 PM »

A new VP has to be approved by both the House and Senate.

That's right; my mistake. I doubt he could get an appointment through.

The point regarding the tiebreaker still holds.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1042 on: October 01, 2023, 01:02:18 PM »

Also, something should probably be done about the poster who is morbidly obsessed with Barbara Lee's death.

That guy should've been banned ages ago for spam.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1043 on: October 01, 2023, 01:11:15 PM »

They always talk about Ds death LBJ v Reagan, Lee v Biden, they never talk about how old Trump is he is 77 like Lee
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1044 on: October 01, 2023, 01:13:48 PM »

👀

This story feels invented by people who love to hate Meghan, to invoke the response of "Oh no Meghan is getting even more delusional these days!"

It would admittedly be very funny to see how the media (especially the Royal Family-for-Americans media complex) would treat a campaign of hers but it 100% won't happen
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1045 on: October 01, 2023, 01:20:32 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2023, 01:24:57 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

👀

This story feels invented by people who love to hate Meghan, to invoke the response of "Oh no Meghan is getting even more delusional these days!"

It would admittedly be very funny to see how the media (especially the Royal Family-for-Americans media complex) would treat a campaign of hers but it 100% won't happen

It absolutely can happen, she isn't a royal, she is the Duchess she isn't a working Royal and Newsom didn't break his promise to Appoint a blk woman

She will absolutely vote for Warren Wealth tax and reparations like all blk celebrities want except Grover Norquist
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #1046 on: October 01, 2023, 01:26:24 PM »

I've gone ahead and written a rough draft of a statement for Gavin Newsom that he can feel free to use:

"A few years ago, I pledged that, if tasked with the duty to make another appointment to one of California's U.S. Senate seats, I would name an African-American woman to the seat. At the time, it was clear to me that this was an absolute necessity. The ascendence of then-Senator Kamala Harris to the Vice Presidency had left the United States Senate without representation for Black women, something that I and many others found, and still find, unacceptable.

Fortunately, since I made that pledge nearly two and a half years ago, recent developments in U.S. Senate races in states like Delaware, Maryland, and potentially more to come have made it a near certainty that it will be the voters who will rectify this problem. I'm also cognizant of the fact that, for what is now the second time I can remember, a Black woman is a major, viable candidate for the U.S. Senate right here at home in our own upcoming election. I hope all Californians will join me in celebrating this incredible milestone.

I'm also cognizant of the fact that the first round of voting in our upcoming U.S. Senate election is far too close for comfort - less than half a year away - for me to unduly influence the democratic process by giving a candidate in that election an unfair advantage with an appointment to the seat.

That is why I'm incredibly pleased to share that former U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer has agreed to briefly come out of retirement to serve out the remainder of the late, great Senator Feinstein's term. Senator Boxer and Senator Feinstein long enjoyed a strong working relationship and friendship. She will return to the Senate with seniority, and there is nobody better to manage the transition from Senator Feinstein to our new Senator who will be elected next year, while also serving Californians ably and with distinction, than her."

This…. is oddly perfect. I applaud this
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1047 on: October 01, 2023, 01:29:42 PM »

I've gone ahead and written a rough draft of a statement for Gavin Newsom that he can feel free to use:

"A few years ago, I pledged that, if tasked with the duty to make another appointment to one of California's U.S. Senate seats, I would name an African-American woman to the seat. At the time, it was clear to me that this was an absolute necessity. The ascendence of then-Senator Kamala Harris to the Vice Presidency had left the United States Senate without representation for Black women, something that I and many others found, and still find, unacceptable.

Fortunately, since I made that pledge nearly two and a half years ago, recent developments in U.S. Senate races in states like Delaware, Maryland, and potentially more to come have made it a near certainty that it will be the voters who will rectify this problem. I'm also cognizant of the fact that, for what is now the second time I can remember, a Black woman is a major, viable candidate for the U.S. Senate right here at home in our own upcoming election. I hope all Californians will join me in celebrating this incredible milestone.

I'm also cognizant of the fact that the first round of voting in our upcoming U.S. Senate election is far too close for comfort - less than half a year away - for me to unduly influence the democratic process by giving a candidate in that election an unfair advantage with an appointment to the seat.

That is why I'm incredibly pleased to share that former U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer has agreed to briefly come out of retirement to serve out the remainder of the late, great Senator Feinstein's term. Senator Boxer and Senator Feinstein long enjoyed a strong working relationship and friendship. She will return to the Senate with seniority, and there is nobody better to manage the transition from Senator Feinstein to our new Senator who will be elected next year, while also serving Californians ably and with distinction, than her."

This…. is oddly perfect. I applaud this

Boxer isn't coming out of retirement
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1048 on: October 01, 2023, 01:42:17 PM »

So like in 2022, there will actually be two senate elections in California in November 2024? The regular one and a special election for the lame duck period? That's actually kind of obscure. Technically the actual winner, if he or she wins both the special and regular, would again seniority over their freshman colleagues that are scheduled to take office on January 3, 2025. It would actually be hilarious in a Democrat vs. Democrat election with a split outcome. So one elected for two months and the other for a full term.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1049 on: October 01, 2023, 01:50:53 PM »

So like in 2022, there will actually be two senate elections in California in November 2024? The regular one and a special election for the lame duck period? That's actually kind of obscure. Technically the actual winner, if he or she wins both the special and regular, would again seniority over their freshman colleagues that are scheduled to take office on January 3, 2025. It would actually be hilarious in a Democrat vs. Democrat election with a split outcome. So one elected for two months and the other for a full term.

Technically the question is on the ballot four times, since the jungle primary for both questions will have multiple and usually a lot of the same candidates.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies