COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 03:34:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 429 430 431 [432] 433 434 435 436 437 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 542254 times)
MiddleRoad
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10775 on: April 27, 2022, 03:21:38 AM »

Long Covid is worse than the initial infection.

I had Covid in January 2021. It was like a bad sinus infection with a fever in terms of my symptoms. I took Vitamin C, Tylenol to fight the fever and drank plenty of water. I was fine and back to baseline within a week

However, afterwards I had no energy and began sleeping as much as 15 hours a day.

I still have issues with sleep (both insomnia and paradoxically, sleeping too long when I do sleep), and with having the same level of energy I did pre Covid, and I’m a 31 year old male.

The actual infection, for myself, wasn’t at all bad or scary; I’ve had worse bouts of strep. It’s the longer term effect that is a major pain in the neck.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10776 on: April 27, 2022, 10:06:13 AM »

I had Covid in January 2021. It was like a bad sinus infection with a fever in terms of my symptoms. I took Vitamin C, Tylenol to fight the fever and drank plenty of water. I was fine and back to baseline within a week

However, afterwards I had no energy and began sleeping as much as 15 hours a day.

I still have issues with sleep (both insomnia and paradoxically, sleeping too long when I do sleep), and with having the same level of energy I did pre Covid, and I’m a 31 year old male.

The actual infection, for myself, wasn’t at all bad or scary; I’ve had worse bouts of strep. It’s the longer term effect that is a major pain in the neck.

are you sure that is all actually the result of your covid infection?

Most people do not get "long covid". That is largely a fear mongering scare tactic from the ONLINE LEFT.

Take some pills and get better.
MiddleRoad
« Reply #10777 on: April 27, 2022, 11:19:41 AM »

Most people do not get "long covid". That is largely a fear mongering scare tactic from the ONLINE LEFT.

Pretty certain yes. In the immediate aftermath of having it I began sleeping 15 hours per day, which lasted a good two or three months. And since then just an overall decreased level of energy and physical stamina, compared to beforehand. Example: I used to work 15 hour overnight shifts with ease, prior to Covid. Now, I could barely get through an 8 hour overnight shift at a new job and had to be transferred to a day shift
Omega21

« Reply #10778 on: April 27, 2022, 12:36:03 PM »

Anecdotal, but whatever:

A friend of mine got better by supplementing with:

Zinc
Magnesium
Vitamin D3+K2
Omega 3

There is also actually very good scientific evidence that prophylactic D3+K2 and Zinc are a great predictor of whether one will develop serious sickness & if they will experience long Covid.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34684596/

Also, if you are male, you should supplement with this anyway, as it helps with maintaining healthy T. levels. (Vitamin D stimulates receptors in the testicles for T production). Magnesium is needed for Vit D activation, so also plays an important role.

As for Omega3, another plus is that it substantially lowers Cortisol (Stress Hormone), and also improves anxiety in many people.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6024589/
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10779 on: April 27, 2022, 04:07:37 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2022, 04:13:22 PM by Forumlurker »

Anecdotal, but whatever:

A friend of mine got better by supplementing with:

Zinc
Magnesium
Vitamin D3+K2
Omega 3

There is also actually very good scientific evidence that prophylactic D3+K2 and Zinc are a great predictor of whether one will develop serious sickness & if they will experience long Covid.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34684596/

Also, if you are male, you should supplement with this anyway, as it helps with maintaining healthy T. levels. (Vitamin D stimulates receptors in the testicles for T production). Magnesium is needed for Vit D activation, so also plays an important role.

As for Omega3, another plus is that it substantially lowers Cortisol (Stress Hormone), and also improves anxiety in many people.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6024589/
I usually roll my eyes at those who talk about “cures”, but there is some decent literature to support D3 deficiencies may be linked to worse outcomes and like 40% of Americans have a deficiency. As for the others…literature is very mixed at best. In fact there are some studies that show hypermagnesemia may have been more common in hospitalized patients with worse outcomes. Point is, yeah make sure you don’t have deficiencies, as those are not good, but the actual ability to help against Covid is mixed and probably won’t help too much if at all if you aren’t deficient.

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10780 on: April 27, 2022, 06:46:19 PM »

This entire thread be like:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dzvzKK-Bzfg
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10781 on: April 28, 2022, 07:40:32 AM »

Moderna seeks emergency use authorization for Covid-19 vaccine for children ages 6 months through 5 years

Moderna is seeking emergency use authorization from the US Food and Drug Administration for its Covid-19 vaccine for children 6 months through 5 years of age, the company said Thursday.

"We believe mRNA-1273 will be able to safely protect these children against SARS-CoV-2, which is so important in our continued fight against COVID-19, and will be especially welcomed by parents and caregivers," Stéphane Bancel, chief executive officer of Moderna, said in a news release.

In late March, Moderna announced results of a clinical trial that included 2,500 children ages 6 months through 24 months and 4,200 children ages 2 through 5. The company said that two 25-microgram doses of its vaccine led to a similar immune response in young children as two 100-microgram doses for adults ages 18 to 25. And it said this should predict protection from Covid-19 and severe Covid-19 down to 6 months of age.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/28/health/moderna-vaccine-eua-young-children/index.html
Hollywood
« Reply #10782 on: April 28, 2022, 10:17:36 AM »

I think you're correct.

There's been long-terms effects found with many seasonal viruses.  One symptom of (for argument-sake) 'long-influenza' is loss of taste. 

It's a result of the pharmaceutical companies using the left to re-market drugs.  For example, the opioid industry created the pain index illustration with faces indicating pain as a non-scientific indicator to increase patient access to the drug.  They knew patients would over-exaggerate their agony, and consequently, hospitals and doctors would be pushed into prescribing pain medication based on pseudo-science.  The pharmaceutical industries put out fake studies and guidelines, so Doctors would think they were committing malpractice if they went against the grain.  I've had only one pediatrician that tried prescribing opioids to me, and my parents took me to another one, because highly-educated people knew this was happening. 
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10783 on: April 28, 2022, 02:49:58 PM »

Flew post mandate for the first time yesterday.

I'd say maybe a quarter of people are still masking. Mostly women, no real correlation with age or race.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #10784 on: April 28, 2022, 07:09:11 PM »

I'd say maybe a quarter of people are still masking. Mostly women, no real correlation with age or race.

Interesting... Quinnipiac shows a slight majority of people favor the mask mandate repeal, but a majority still say they're going to wear a mask on planes.

At this point, it's fairly obvious to me that polling questions on mask have a massive social desirability effect. It's like if you're to ask how many books people read in a year, people are going to overestimate compared to reality so they don't look "stupid/uneducated". Some people are just always going to say they wear a mask to a stranger because the pro-maskers have intimidated/shamed others as a bad person if you don't.

My curiosity at this point is, how far back did this really stop becoming popular. It wasn't February, that's when the DNC panic memo went out.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10785 on: April 28, 2022, 08:17:42 PM »

Interesting... Quinnipiac shows a slight majority of people favor the mask mandate repeal, but a majority still say they're going to wear a mask on planes.

At this point, it's fairly obvious to me that polling questions on mask have a massive social desirability effect. It's like if you're to ask how many books people read in a year, people are going to overestimate compared to reality so they don't look "stupid/uneducated". Some people are just always going to say they wear a mask to a stranger because the pro-maskers have intimidated/shamed others as a bad person if you don't.

My curiosity at this point is, how far back did this really stop becoming popular. It wasn't February, that's when the DNC panic memo went out.
Probably April 2021. I use this story a lot, but my mother could never talk about doing anything within earshot of my brother when he was little because he didn't understand the concept of changing plans and uncertainty. I think the majority of the American public has yet to learn this concept as well. Ever since April 2021, it has been unpopular because a return to full normalcy was expected with these vaccines, and when circumstances changed...well it was too late to take it back.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #10786 on: April 29, 2022, 08:49:02 AM »

Probably April 2021. I use this story a lot, but my mother could never talk about doing anything within earshot of my brother when he was little because he didn't understand the concept of changing plans and uncertainty. I think the majority of the American public has yet to learn this concept as well. Ever since April 2021, it has been unpopular because a return to full normalcy was expected with these vaccines, and when circumstances changed...well it was too late to take it back.
The CDC used the end of masks to persuade people to get vaccinated, yet they supported mandatory masking for most of the time since the vaccines became widely available to the general public. The public’s anger about being lied to should not be equated with a petulant child
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #10787 on: April 29, 2022, 10:25:39 AM »

This is a very interesting article about differences in death rates by age and vaccination status across covid waves:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/04/29/covid-deaths-unvaccinated-boosters/

A few cliffs:

- In January and February, 42% of people who died of covid in the US were indeed vaccinated (13% were boosted).  Someone else posted this figure without a source before, but it does look like it’s true.

- Nevertheless, the death -rate- among boosted people was still 20x lower than the unvaccinated during Omicron.

- Deaths during the Delta wave were much younger than any other wave, with about 15% of deaths being under 50.

- Deaths during Omicron returned to being overwhelmingly among the very old, with two-thirds being over 65, and only 3% being under 50.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10788 on: April 29, 2022, 10:33:59 AM »

The CDC used the end of masks to persuade people to get vaccinated, yet they supported mandatory masking for most of the time since the vaccines became widely available to the general public. The public’s anger about being lied to should not be equated with a petulant child

And for most of the period since then, we have had the Delta variant which wasn’t a factor the CDC could consider back in March 2021. This is exactly the same situation, the circumstances changed, and the CDC made the decision to change because of that. It is the childlike public who didn’t.

Again this is the type of stuff my brother would pull when he was younger. One time my mother said we’d go to an amusement park on Wednesday. Tuesday afternoon she was made aware of last minute work developments that meant she couldn’t just take the day off to go to an amusement park. My brother accused my mother of lying just like you are doing now. It’s the exact same situation, circumstances changed, and it’s the public who has not yet grasped the concept of uncertainty who is upset.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10789 on: May 01, 2022, 10:22:21 AM »

Don't count on those government-imposed mask mandates coming back anytime soon, even in Democratic-controlled states that have gotten rid of them:

Officials are nervous about mask mandates — even in Covid hot spots
In an election year where more than 30 governors, Congress and many state legislatures are on the ballot, politicians have been loathe to consider mandates.

They are definitely in Camp 4.  
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10790 on: May 01, 2022, 06:15:49 PM »

At what point will COVID-positive individuals no longer have to quarantine?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10791 on: May 01, 2022, 06:28:05 PM »

Why shouldn't people who are sick and contagious stay home from work/school? We already do this with the flu and norovirus, so why should covid be the exception?
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10792 on: May 01, 2022, 06:35:06 PM »

Why shouldn't people who are sick and contagious stay home from work/school? We already do this with the flu and norovirus, so why should covid be the exception?
I support people choosing to voluntarily quarantine, but we shouldn't be doing it by force
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10793 on: May 01, 2022, 07:28:42 PM »

My work now forbids anybody from coming in if sick in any way, including a cold. (You do get to work from home though.) I don't imagine this will ever change.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #10794 on: May 01, 2022, 08:46:39 PM »

Have you seriously always stayed home when you have a cold?  If so, that's very, very far from what I've experienced most people doing my whole life.  Anecdotally, at least my circle is at the point where no one bats an eye if someone says that they have a cold (and are hanging out with others).
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #10795 on: May 01, 2022, 08:51:38 PM »

Have you seriously always stayed home when you have a cold?  If so, that's very, very far from what I've experienced most people doing my whole life.  Anecdotally, at least my circle is at the point where no one bats an eye if someone says that they have a cold (and are hanging out with others).

Strangely enough, when I had COVID (the Omicron variant), it wasn't nearly as bad as a cold. I think every cold I've had since I was in middle school was severe. COVID was nothing in comparison.

I'd actually worry about catching a cold, but not COVID.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10796 on: May 02, 2022, 12:02:22 AM »

If I'm sick, then yes I've stayed home except in cases where I had literally no choice.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10797 on: May 02, 2022, 12:16:04 AM »

Strangely enough, when I had COVID (the Omicron variant), it wasn't nearly as bad as a cold. I think every cold I've had since I was in middle school was severe. COVID was nothing in comparison.

I'd actually worry about catching a cold, but not COVID.

Well, if your worried about cold or flu, wear a mask and wash your hands frequently.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10798 on: May 05, 2022, 01:52:00 AM »

Covid's toll in the U.S. reaches a once unfathomable number: 1 million deaths

The U.S. on Wednesday surpassed 1 million Covid-19 deaths, according to data compiled by NBC News — a once unthinkable scale of loss even for the country with the world's highest recorded toll from the virus.

The number — equivalent to the population of San Jose, California, the 10th largest city in the U.S. — was reached at stunning speed: 27 months after the country confirmed its first case of the virus.

"Each of those people touched hundreds of other people," said Diana Ordonez, whose husband, Juan Ordonez, died in April 2020 at age 40, five days before their daughter Mia's fifth birthday. "It's an exponential number of other people that are walking around with a small hole in their heart."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/covids-toll-us-reaches-1-million-deaths-unfathomable-number-rcna22105
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10799 on: May 05, 2022, 04:41:42 PM »

FDA puts strict limits on Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine

The US Food and Drug Administration announced Thursday that it is limiting the emergency use authorization of the Johnson & Johnson/Janssen Covid-19 vaccine to people 18 and older for whom other vaccines aren't appropriate or accessible and those who opt for J&J because they wouldn't otherwise get vaccinated.

The FDA said in a statement that the change is being made because of the risk of a rare and dangerous clotting condition called thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS) after receiving the vaccine.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/05/health/fda-johnson-johnson-vaccine-eua/index.html

Pages: 1 ... 427 428 429 430 431 [432] 433 434 435 436 437 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies