COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:41:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 432 433 434 [435] 436 437 438 439 440 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 535895 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10850 on: May 08, 2022, 12:07:55 AM »

Republicans need to put ballot measures in every state that bans the state from being able to implement any restrictions
That isn't small government or "states rights". Reagan would be ashamed.

Ballot Measures are the definition of states rights
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10851 on: May 08, 2022, 12:08:34 AM »

Are they trying to set the scene to bring back the mandates?

Doubtful.  I think more than anything they want congressional Republicans to fund their full $22.5 billion COVID funding request and not be so parsimonious when there is still a pandemic.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10852 on: May 08, 2022, 12:19:36 AM »

Republicans need to put ballot measures in every state that bans the state from being able to implement any restrictions
That isn't small government or "states rights". Reagan would be ashamed.

Ballot Measures are the definition of states rights
Sorry I misread your post, somehow skipped over the word "ballot". You're right.

I still don't understand writing laws to prevent public health measures in potentially high risk scenarios. Seems like a "feelings over facts" kind of thing.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10853 on: May 08, 2022, 12:20:49 AM »

Are they trying to set the scene to bring back the mandates?

Doubtful.  I think more than anything they want congressional Republicans to fund their full $22.5 billion COVID funding request and not be so parsimonious when there is still a pandemic.
"Omicron was the off ramp, the pandemic is over".
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #10854 on: May 08, 2022, 12:21:37 AM »

I'm okay using my mask in grocery stores and other indoor public places like that. It doesn't bother me. It's only a facial covering. I still see many people with them. I haven't even had a cold in at two years or so, so I'm fine. Even vaccinated and boosted, I know I still might get it (or I might have already). I prefer to not get sick at all, so I'm sticking with the mask in most places. It's not foolproof, of course, but mitigation isn't a bad idea.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10855 on: May 08, 2022, 01:09:55 AM »

The COVID death rate is so minimal, under a tenth of a percent. Less people would have died if we didn't react so strongly and let society continue as normal. Our economy and culture has suffered long enough.

The only time in my 31 years of life I’ve ever considered suicide was when NYC was in “show your vax card to do anything” status. I felt like a prisoner, someone on house arrest. It had a massively negative effect on my emotional health. I have to imagine I’m not alone and that others may have suffered from severe emotional strain as a result of Covid restrictions.

I'm not wishing to belittle your mental health struggles,  but if the requirement of showing your vaccination card to donthings caused you to feel suicidal, you need to seek help immediately as there are much deeper issues at play here having nothing to do with covid restrictions.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10856 on: May 08, 2022, 01:27:54 AM »

The COVID death rate is so minimal, under a tenth of a percent. Less people would have died if we didn't react so strongly and let society continue as normal. Our economy and culture has suffered long enough.

The only time in my 31 years of life I’ve ever considered suicide was when NYC was in “show your vax card to do anything” status. I felt like a prisoner, someone on house arrest. It had a massively negative effect on my emotional health. I have to imagine I’m not alone and that others may have suffered from severe emotional strain as a result of Covid restrictions.

I'm not wishing to belittle your mental health struggles,  but if the requirement of showing your vaccination card to donthings caused you to feel suicidal, you need to seek help immediately as there are much deeper issues at play here having nothing to do with covid restrictions.

This.
Not joking. You should seek some counseling.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #10857 on: May 08, 2022, 08:18:22 AM »

No, it'll never end.

There will be no herd immunity, and the virus will just mutate endlessly. This is life now.

Do you think we should wear masks 24/7, even in our homes, forever?

I mean, Covid is worse than the Black Death after all.

SnowLabrador and the Trump Virus seem to think it is.

No, we shouldn't have anymore mask mandates and we shouldn't have more lockdowns.

Covid isn't close to the Black Death but you're an idiot if you think it's a simple cold.

You guys think that urging caution means we want Americans stuck in their homes forever?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #10858 on: May 08, 2022, 08:19:42 AM »

People like you are why Republicans will win in 2022 and 24.

Inflation and gas prices are why Republicans will win.

But yea, "the worst wave yet" is probably not coming....
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10859 on: May 08, 2022, 09:33:41 AM »

People like you are why Republicans will win in 2022 and 24.

C'mon, don't make such patently obviously specious arguments like that. Everyone with half a brain knows that the reason why Republicans will win is because the US has a polarized FPTP 2 party electoral system, and whichever party doesn't control the Presidency is basically always going to lose as a result out of a mixture of complacency on its part and motivation on the part of he out-of-power party. Individual "issues" and people making claims about issues that you or anyone else may think are wrong are just the background noise upon on which that process occurs.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10860 on: May 08, 2022, 09:54:02 PM »

Wow, must be a total coincidence:

Not like I totally knew this would happen.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10861 on: May 09, 2022, 12:13:17 AM »

If you do have genuine medical concerns about the vaccine, you should speak to your doctor and other medical professionals in your community. The vaccine is safe and effective for the vast, vast majority of people, and is much safer than getting Covid without being protected. So you can most likely get the reassurance you need if you ask. It is ok to want to be sure that the vaccine is the right thing for you, but I can't see why it's a good idea for you to leave yourself unprotected against a debilitating and deadly disease.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10862 on: May 09, 2022, 07:53:57 AM »

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10863 on: May 09, 2022, 08:48:36 PM »

No, it'll never end.

There will be no herd immunity, and the virus will just mutate endlessly. This is life now.

Do you think we should wear masks 24/7, even in our homes, forever?

SnowLabrador and the Trump Virus seem to think it is.

No, we shouldn't have anymore mask mandates and we shouldn't have more lockdowns.

Covid isn't close to the Black Death but you're an idiot if you think it's a simple cold.

You guys think that urging caution means we want Americans stuck in their homes forever?

Quite a few red avatars here have been advocating permanent restrictions, including one of the D-NY posters saying we should be acting like China.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10864 on: May 11, 2022, 02:36:10 PM »

There's an interesting article in SciAm this month and it says that Omicron was likely the fastest spreading virus in human history! It has specific mutations that mask the spike protein from antibodies, and it also developed an easier way of getting into cells. On the flip side, and apparently coincidentally, it has mutations that make it much worse at hiding from the immune system's alarm bells, which is why it's milder.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10865 on: May 11, 2022, 03:12:38 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2022, 03:20:40 PM by jimmie »

I noticed many liberals get covid worse than conservative i have a theory all their worrying makes them hypochondriac when they get covid
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10866 on: May 12, 2022, 12:54:28 AM »

I noticed many liberals get covid worse than conservative i have a theory all their worrying makes them hypochondriac when they get covid
Perhaps conservatives are more likely to hide it to prove they're tough.

Perhaps people with pre-existing conditions are more likely to support the party that said would protect them, and those same pre-existing conditions make them more likely to get COVID worse.

There's an interesting article in SciAm this month and it says that Omicron was likely the fastest spreading virus in human history! It has specific mutations that mask the spike protein from antibodies, and it also developed an easier way of getting into cells. On the flip side, and apparently coincidentally, it has mutations that make it much worse at hiding from the immune system's alarm bells, which is why it's milder.
https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/omicron-severe-previous-covid-variants-large-study-finds-2022-05-05/

Omicron as severe as other COVID variants -large U.S. study
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10867 on: May 12, 2022, 12:57:49 AM »

Perhaps conservatives are more likely to hide it to prove they're tough.

Well, Herman Cain was tweeting that COVID is no big deal from the grave.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #10868 on: May 12, 2022, 01:01:55 AM »

Then why are there so few deaths now?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10869 on: May 12, 2022, 04:31:26 AM »

If you read the study you would get the explanation they gave is vaccinations. Of course I have serious doubts you even have the capacity to read it, so commend you on knowing your limits. It is extremely important to note this study is NOT yet peer reviewed which undermines the credibility, although the large sample size certainly bolsters it (not enough for me to accept it without more studies finding similar results when adjusting for vaccines) I will say that this study could also suggest a slightly higher vaccine efficacy rate if corrobated than what we thought initially. As usual the proper response to this is, don't overinterpret, wait for more information and still retain a degree of caution in your daily lives as fit. Of course this makes me a horrid covid doomer who wants to lock you all up forever Tongue.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10870 on: May 12, 2022, 07:13:15 AM »

Hong Kong had a per capita death rate nearly four times the US peak during the Omicron wave. So it is clearly possible for Omicron to do tremendous damage to an unvaccinated population. It is a miracle that vaccines could be developed and rolled out so quickly, saving millions of lives.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10871 on: May 12, 2022, 08:49:40 AM »

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/omicron-severe-previous-covid-variants-large-study-finds-2022-05-05/

Omicron as severe as other COVID variants -large U.S. study

I'm not trying to dispute that study. But the sciam article says that Omicron is worse at evading the innate immune system, particularly in the lungs. Whereas Delta tries to hide, Omicron announces its presence.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10872 on: May 12, 2022, 08:56:19 AM »

Sad

MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #10873 on: May 14, 2022, 04:46:10 AM »

I heard a rumor that New Jersey and New York are going to reinstate their mask mandates early next week due to rising cases.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10874 on: May 14, 2022, 06:13:55 AM »

Hong Kong had a per capita death rate nearly four times the US peak during the Omicron wave. So it is clearly possible for Omicron to do tremendous damage to an unvaccinated population. It is a miracle that vaccines could be developed and rolled out so quickly, saving millions of lives.
Yes but…the spike was also greater in Hong Kong because there were basically no cases before (this no natural immunity) Not remotely comparable.
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 432 433 434 [435] 436 437 438 439 440 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies