COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:20:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 266 267 268 [269] 270 271 272 273 274 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 541165 times)
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6700 on: September 05, 2021, 08:32:57 AM »

i got vaccinated and am all for people making fake vaccine cards

having to show ANY form of id for anything at all besides voting and crossing national borders is insanity imo
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6701 on: September 05, 2021, 03:00:31 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2021, 03:03:48 PM by Horus »

snipped tweet

Resistance libs getting up in arms about this video without realizing that Virginia Tech has a vaccine mandate.

The stadium is open to the public, did they impose the mandate on everyone? Did they check the vaccine card at the door? I highly doubt it.

I didn't say the stadium should have been closed, there are economic costs to that which at this point nobody has the will to pay. But it's clearly a highly risky activity and people who want to avoid catching COVID-19 should stay away. It's entirely reasonable for public health officials to message against it and discourage people from attending. People who attend do so at their own risk, there are plenty of allowed activities that involve taking on personal risk.

This is my school!  As I mentioned earlier, we have a vaccine mandate and a test positivity of 1.3%.
 And it is an -outdoor- event!  This is -not- a high risk activity.

Want to mention that just because it's "an outdoor event" doesn't make it safe and remove all "risk."
These people are shoulder to shoulder and screaming.

There's a vaccine mandate in place. Stop telling fully vaccinated Americans how to have fun.

Where do you see me saying that people should "stop having fun"?
You constantly add BS to people comments, when there is no such words.

Read what I wrote. Of course you never said that, but you tried to subtly shame them since their activity is "risky." Everything carries risk, if your goal is to eliminate risk entirely you might as well never leave your bed. Would you rather these people have all stayed home, despite being fully vaccinated? What is your endgame? Why are you so bothered by fully vaccinated individuals moving on from the pandemic?

Not everyone wants to sit at home and do puzzles for eternity.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6702 on: September 05, 2021, 03:26:04 PM »

Unless we have a vaccine mandate ASAP, covid will become the new normal.

Antivaxxers want that, so they can blame Biden for it becoming endemic.
compucomp

« Reply #6703 on: September 05, 2021, 06:17:34 PM »

snipped tweet

Resistance libs getting up in arms about this video without realizing that Virginia Tech has a vaccine mandate.

The stadium is open to the public, did they impose the mandate on everyone? Did they check the vaccine card at the door? I highly doubt it.

I didn't say the stadium should have been closed, there are economic costs to that which at this point nobody has the will to pay. But it's clearly a highly risky activity and people who want to avoid catching COVID-19 should stay away. It's entirely reasonable for public health officials to message against it and discourage people from attending. People who attend do so at their own risk, there are plenty of allowed activities that involve taking on personal risk.

This is my school!  As I mentioned earlier, we have a vaccine mandate and a test positivity of 1.3%.

The football game is an event open to the public and will draw people from the surrounding area, possibly from across the country. The stadium has capacity 65K, that's just under twice the total number of students at Virginia Tech (36K), let alone the number of students that want to go watch the game. So having the students of Virginia Tech under a vaccine mandate is of limited usefulness for the football game.

Was the whole stadium under a vaccine mandate, and was it actually enforced at the gate? If so, it might have not been too bad, like Lollapalooza turned out OK with an unevenly enforced vaccine mandate. If not, then it was a total free-for-all superspreader event. Yes, the event was outdoors which helps, but it's still bad to have 65K people standing shoulder-to-shoulder, yelling and screaming, ordering food and going to the bathroom in compressed spaces, etc.  
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #6704 on: September 05, 2021, 06:27:31 PM »

Unless we have a vaccine mandate ASAP, covid will become the new normal.

I think this IS the new normal.  We'll have periods of relative calm followed by periods of hell.  Variant after variant and new boosters unable to keep up.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #6705 on: September 05, 2021, 09:44:39 PM »

it'll fade into the background and gradually evolve into becoming a new cold virus like the one that hit in 1890 did. really, stop panicking.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6706 on: September 05, 2021, 11:57:32 PM »

it'll fade into the background and gradually evolve into becoming a new cold virus like the one that hit in 1890 did. really, stop panicking.

Seems like it hits a lot of people a lot harder than a cold though. Even young, healthy people who don't end up in the hospital. Unless you're saying the symptoms will moderate over time.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6707 on: September 06, 2021, 12:26:17 AM »

We still don’t know if that was a flu or cold virus that caused the 1890 pandemic.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #6708 on: September 06, 2021, 09:09:18 AM »

Cases have been dropping pretty much the past few days, so naturally the CDC stopped updating their map (where it's almost impossible for a county to improve from the red tier anyway).
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6709 on: September 06, 2021, 10:26:10 AM »

Cases have been dropping pretty much the past few days, so naturally the CDC stopped updating their map (where it's almost impossible for a county to improve from the red tier anyway).
It’s Labor Day weekend.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6710 on: September 06, 2021, 11:24:33 AM »

The state of Washington is seeing their worst covid surge yet, and hospitalizations have soared to a record high, especially in Spokane and king county
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6711 on: September 06, 2021, 11:27:03 AM »

The state of Washington is seeing their worst covid surge yet, and hospitalizations have soared to a record high, especially in Spokane and king county

Really not looking good for the NE around the holidays then.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6712 on: September 06, 2021, 11:39:20 AM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6713 on: September 06, 2021, 11:43:27 AM »

The drops are so dramatic the last couple days I assumed it's some reporting issue. I guess we'll know in a few days if they're really dropping fast or not.
compucomp

« Reply #6714 on: September 06, 2021, 12:57:15 PM »

I agree with this, although relatively speaking it may not seem *that* bad because the first wave in NY/NJ was so bad, there could easily be a big surge because we will encounter a combination of people moving indoors due to weather, holiday gatherings, and the general population experiencing waning immunity since they got their vaccines in April/May. At least boosters should be getting distributed by then.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #6715 on: September 06, 2021, 02:09:51 PM »

The drops are so dramatic the last couple days I assumed it's some reporting issue. I guess we'll know in a few days if they're really dropping fast or not.

This has been happening every weekend for at least the last month.
A lot of states and counties have stopped reporting on the weekends, especially on Sunday.  The cases get backlogged on Monday and Tuesday. So every weekend it looks like there has been big drop, but by the middle of the week this mirage has disappeared.  It may be a little more persistent this week because of the holiday.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6716 on: September 06, 2021, 03:15:43 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2021, 03:30:14 PM by Hammy »

So the stores that whined about confrontation with customers when it came to enforcing mask mandates or vaccine requirements are instead going to enforce capacity limits (Target being one of them) so now you can be vaccinated and outright turned away when you go out.

Businesses that do this while refusing to enforce less absurd restrictions first need to be fined $10k per day per store location. We're getting into literal mental illness level insanity with these decisions.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6717 on: September 06, 2021, 04:14:31 PM »

snipped tweet

Want to mention that just because it's "an outdoor event" doesn't make it safe and remove all "risk."

There's a vaccine mandate in place. Stop telling fully vaccinated Americans how to have fun.

Read what I wrote. Of course you never said that, but you tried to subtly shame them since their activity is "risky." Everything carries risk, if your goal is to eliminate risk entirely you might as well never leave your bed. Would you rather these people have all stayed home, despite being fully vaccinated? What is your endgame? Why are you so bothered by fully vaccinated individuals moving on from the pandemic?

Read what I wrote. I'm not trying to "subtly shame" no one.
All I'm doing is just stating a fact.
Stop being such a jack***.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6718 on: September 06, 2021, 04:20:48 PM »

So are we going to get cases reported tomorrow? If not that's really going to throw off my tracking of Georgia's trajectory if we end up with a four-day (rather than three) cumulative on Tuesday.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6719 on: September 06, 2021, 07:04:05 PM »

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6720 on: September 06, 2021, 07:44:26 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2021, 07:53:19 PM by ProudModerate2 »

DeathSantis is a complete failure as governor of FL.
Instead of adjusting, his arrogance is causing massive Covid suffering.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6721 on: September 06, 2021, 08:47:23 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2021, 08:51:02 PM by Horus »

snipped tweet

Read what I wrote. I'm not trying to "subtly shame" no one.
All I'm doing is just stating a fact.
Stop being such a jack***.

"These people are shoulder to shoulder and screaming."

You absolutely did. Otherwise why make that statement? If you had a problem with a vaccine mandated event you could've just said that instead of being passive aggressive. People stand close together at games, and they scream. That's what happens at sporting events.

Again, what is your endgame? Do you think this event should not have occurred?
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #6722 on: September 06, 2021, 08:53:05 PM »

Yeah, if Washington state experiences this (and in King County cases have also significantly risen), with Seattle and all going up too, it's hard to see how the Northeast will be able to escape at this rate

The CDC's update on Rosh Hashanah will be interesting
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6723 on: September 06, 2021, 08:56:41 PM »

While they might not escape, aren't these outbreaks going to be less pronounced is areas of the country with high vax rates?
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #6724 on: September 06, 2021, 08:58:37 PM »

While they might not escape, aren't these outbreaks going to be less pronounced is areas of the country with high vax rates?

Cases probably equally as pronounced (COVID is COVID, it goes by you, you get it, you test positive even if you're vaccinated)

The place where we're gonna see differences is mortality rates
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 266 267 268 [269] 270 271 272 273 274 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies