UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:48:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 141 142 143 [144] 145 146 147 148 149 ... 235
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 258929 times)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3575 on: April 26, 2023, 11:27:48 AM »

Journalists at the Guardian and ITV both reporting that Raab-like bullying complaints have been raised against the Health Secretary.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3576 on: April 29, 2023, 05:41:59 AM »

To which the "defence" seems to be - he's not a bully, just incompetent Cheesy
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3577 on: April 29, 2023, 03:24:57 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2023, 04:03:52 PM by Blair »

There's a very strange Sunday Times on the the locals and political scene. Features a vox pop with an 86 year old vote, a 60 odd year old one who doesn't like Keir as 'he's a Sir' and some rather odd reporting about the polling.

These pieces which seek to lift the curtain seem to be getting stranger- I really can't work out the deal with the ST and it's sister paper.
CityofSinners
Rookie

« Reply #3578 on: April 29, 2023, 07:16:10 PM »

These pieces which seek to lift the curtain seem to be getting stranger- I really can't work out the deal with the ST and it's sister paper.

The weird pieces makes more sense if you think about just how old their readership is.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3579 on: April 30, 2023, 02:19:54 AM »

My main reaction to a quick look at today's front pages is a strong awakening of my normally latent republicanism.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #3580 on: April 30, 2023, 03:20:18 AM »

My main reaction to a quick look at today's front pages is a strong awakening of my normally latent republicanism.

You are probably not the only one.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3581 on: April 30, 2023, 03:35:59 AM »

Quite a day in Scottish politics:

Former SNP Treasurer Colin Beattie returned to Holyrood, and did a press huddle, where he said he didn't know the party owned a campervan. Cue a media round about how he'd have seen the 2021 financial statements which should include the payment. Then, 5 hours later, he retracted, and said he did know about the campervan.

Sturgeon, who we'd been told was coming back to parliament "at some point soon", suddenly appeared at Holyrood, within a couple of hours of Beattie's interview, and did her own press huddle, where she denied her resignation was tied to the investigation (in language that wasn't exactly convincing) - and said the SNP crisis was "beyond her worst nightmares".

Yousaf, who's in London to meet Sunak and the Westminster Group of SNP MPs, then hopped onto LBC, and announced to Andrew Marr that the SNP would not refund anyone asking for their indyref2 donation back. Understandable, given it could lead to drain on funds and set a precedent - but not great optics given he admitted the £600,000 would be spent on other things and that "all payments to the SNP benefit independence". Not sure they can get away with the framing of "sure, we're under investigation, but we're keeping the cash, and we'll spend it how we please".

Meanwhile in Westminster, Stephen Flynn and Ian Blackford have both accused the other of misrepresenting them. Blackford claims he briefed Flynn on the auditing situation, and that he received an assurance that new auditors had been found on April 7th. Flynn says he wasn't told about the auditor situation until he'd been in the job for three months - and says the party is still looking for auditors.
https://media.istockphoto.com/id/1171751253/vector/vector-cartoon-illustration-of-frustrated-man-or-businessman-sitting-in-rowing-boat-and.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=MgMn1yu4NQE9q1ASq5zfsLEDYJWbf4uWVi9UV5sDdHY=(Getty Images)
Leaked footage of FM Yousaf pondering the state of the SNP.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3582 on: April 30, 2023, 03:52:08 AM »

The only reason I'd attend one of these allegiance swearing ceremonies is to blare "Prince Andrew Is A Sweaty Nonce" out of my phone at full volume.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #3583 on: April 30, 2023, 05:13:32 AM »

How many are going to do it anyway? Contrary to what some parts of the media may have you believe, most Brits aren't staunch royalists. Most firmly support having a constitutional monarchy, but that's not the same thing.   
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3584 on: April 30, 2023, 05:30:03 AM »

What was on the papers today?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #3585 on: April 30, 2023, 05:39:16 AM »

A call for all Brits to shout out a rehearsed pledge of allegiance to the King while he is coronated, with the justification being that this democratises the process.

Literally Orwellian.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3586 on: April 30, 2023, 06:04:32 AM »

How many are going to do it anyway? Contrary to what some parts of the media may have you believe, most Brits aren't staunch royalists. Most firmly support having a constitutional monarchy, but that's not the same thing.   

Obviously I'm not British, but I can imagine a fair bit of apathy regarding the monarchy. Speaking to my own opinion, between Prince Andrew and the endless tabloid offensives at Harry and Meghan, including that rather disgusting headline that claimed they were responsible for Elizabeth's death, I'm at my wit's end with all of them.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #3587 on: April 30, 2023, 07:42:02 AM »

Alfred the Great did it.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3588 on: April 30, 2023, 10:28:44 AM »
« Edited: April 30, 2023, 11:55:39 AM by CumbrianLefty »

There's a very strange Sunday Times on the the locals and political scene. Features a vox pop with an 86 year old vote, a 60 odd year old one who doesn't like Keir as 'he's a Sir' and some rather odd reporting about the polling.

Is that the report that has a Tory peer and psephologist seriously claiming - or at any rate affecting to claim - that "Labour people" are expecting the Tories to lose 2000 seats in these elections?

Though the mere fact that fantastical figure is being mentioned - even in passing - probably tells us something about where the Conservatives currently are (ie not in a good place)
GenerationTerrorist
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #3589 on: April 30, 2023, 11:51:42 AM »

The entire Royal Family should be binned. A complete anachronism that someone can be Head of State just because they fell out of the right vagina in the right order.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3590 on: April 30, 2023, 01:45:41 PM »

The reality is that most British people who have, at least some of the time, mild Republican sentiments would certainly not vote for the sort of Republican settlement that the organized Republican movement (to the extent that there is one!) in this country would actually propose.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3591 on: April 30, 2023, 02:42:11 PM »

Which among the current crop of politicians would you want to be President anyway?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #3592 on: April 30, 2023, 03:39:32 PM »

Which among the current crop of politicians would you want to be President anyway?

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3593 on: April 30, 2023, 03:50:28 PM »

A call for all Brits to shout out a rehearsed pledge of allegiance to the King while he is coronated, with the justification being that this democratises the process.

Literally Orwellian.

A reason why there are a lot of anti-monarchists. A lot of Republicans. However if the BRF is abolished, Anne, Andrew, Edward, etc. will still be aristocrats.....

The lesser royals will still go to society events, etc. (Princess Margaret's children, etc.)
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #3594 on: April 30, 2023, 04:04:51 PM »

Literally Orwellian.

A reason why there are a lot of anti-monarchists. A lot of Republicans. However if the BRF is abolished, Anne, Andrew, Edward, etc. will still be aristocrats.....

The lesser royals will still go to society events, etc. (Princess Margaret's children, etc.)

They wouldn't because I would immediately seize a lot of their land assets especially. The way land is distributed in the UK is absolutely scandalous.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #3595 on: April 30, 2023, 04:53:18 PM »

The only person I can think of who is fit for the UK presidency is David Beckham.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #3596 on: May 01, 2023, 04:30:49 AM »

The only person I can think of who is fit for the UK presidency is David Beckham.

Providing the presidency was a largely ceremonial role then it could be filled with none political and nationally respected figures, like if David Attenborough was younger he'd be ideal.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3597 on: May 01, 2023, 04:56:28 AM »

Providing the presidency was a largely ceremonial role then it could be filled with none political and nationally respected figures, like if David Attenborough was younger he'd be ideal.

Alternative Universe Britain where Thatcher installs beloved entertainer and fundraiser Jimmy Savile as head of state.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3598 on: May 01, 2023, 05:12:10 AM »

Labour have announced a relatively interesting proposal around housing which suggests a clear direction of travel.

What’s equally interesting is how many terminally online people don’t seem to understand how much people want to own their own home- especially because our rental market is awful. Even as someone who supports a vast program of social housing building (and longer fixed tenancies etc) it’s a very strange tendency of parts of the left- maybe it’s just my latent Blairism.

JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #3599 on: May 01, 2023, 05:29:22 AM »

What’s equally interesting is how many terminally online people don’t seem to understand how much people want to own their own home- especially because our rental market is awful. Even as someone who supports a vast program of social housing building (and longer fixed tenancies etc) it’s a very strange tendency of parts of the left- maybe it’s just my latent Blairism.
Presumably the same group of people who are horrified at the prospect of any rental evictions?
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 141 142 143 [144] 145 146 147 148 149 ... 235  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies