UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:32:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 146 147 148 [149] 150 151 152 153 154 ... 235
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 258966 times)
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3700 on: May 12, 2023, 12:22:42 PM »

I'm sure Al knows far more about this than I do, but from what I've read about the early council housing in Sheffield it seems that the fact that it was too expensive for the worst off was regarded as a problem by those who cared about such things.

This would have been before the Labour Party was much of a force, even in Sheffield; the housing I'm talking about was built before the First World War.

(See Municipal Dreams on the Flower Estate, for example.)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3701 on: May 12, 2023, 12:50:29 PM »

I'm sure Al knows far more about this than I do, but from what I've read about the early council housing in Sheffield it seems that the fact that it was too expensive for the worst off was regarded as a problem by those who cared about such things.

This would have been before the Labour Party was much of a force, even in Sheffield; the housing I'm talking about was built before the First World War.

(See Municipal Dreams on the Flower Estate, for example.)

Yes: the problem with early council housing (i.e. the earliest experimental projects built before either any of the Interwar Housing Acts, such as the estate looked at there) was that because councils had limited financial means, the size of the new estates were very small and the rents charged were beyond those of the theoretical target market of upper/skilled working class families. Now, the thinking with slum dwellers until the 1930s was that they would be able to move into the houses vacated by the families who had moved to new council estates and that the problem would broadly solve itself, but it turned out that, mostly, they could not afford to do so.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #3702 on: May 13, 2023, 05:32:57 AM »

This is one of the reason's I'm critical of Starmer : there is no evidence he'll reform these kind of institutions, because he was very much part of them and the "that's the way we do things here"

He was after all the DPP that dropped the case against what are widely believe to be the network of perps.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3703 on: May 13, 2023, 09:21:19 AM »

Starmer did several things as DPP, far from all of them bad.

There is also the age old argument, of course, that failing systems can only really be rescued by those who were previously "insiders" - as they know better what works and what doesn't.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3704 on: May 13, 2023, 09:33:42 AM »

Unlike public prosecutors in a lot of other country, DPP is a very technical post in practice: if the evidence to prosecute doesn't exist ('exist' here being defined as: 'known to exist and also accessible') or there are other reasons to suspect that a trial would collapse, then a decision to prosecute will always be dropped as they're only supposed to sign off on a prosecution if there is a reasonable chance of success. There is, inevitably, a formula and everything.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3705 on: May 14, 2023, 09:38:55 AM »

Our PM went to watch "his" club Southampton FC yesterday, to say that he looked like a fish out of water is maybe understating it. Not to mention that they lost and were formally relegated.
MayorCarcetti
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3706 on: May 14, 2023, 11:06:50 AM »

Our PM went to watch "his" club Southampton FC yesterday, to say that he looked like a fish out of water is maybe understating it. Not to mention that they lost and were formally relegated.
I'm amazed out of all the games he could have gone to, his advisors let him got to this one. It was obvious this was a match that could see Southampton go down, surely they knew the optics of a beleaguered PM seeing 'his team' being relegated are not good.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3707 on: May 14, 2023, 11:07:51 AM »

I'm increasingly starting to wonder if he actually has any PR people working for him.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #3708 on: May 14, 2023, 11:12:59 AM »

Random but related fact: their former chairman Rupert Lowe was elected as an MEP for the Brexit Party in the farcical elections of 2019.
MayorCarcetti
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3709 on: May 14, 2023, 03:44:51 PM »

Just for anyone wondering the allegiances of the other recent prime ministers:

Wilson: Huddersfield Town (his hometown club)

Callaghan: not a big football fan, but his native club Portsmouth once asked him for digout when they were on hard times

Thatcher: her dislike of football and it's fans is well known but she was rather incredibly made Honorary Vice President of Blackburn Rovers by owner Jack Walker in the 90s.

Major: huge Chelsea fan, frequently seen at Stamford Bridge

Blair: famously a Newcastle fan, it was once claimed a young Tony sat in the Gallowgate end and saw Jackie Milburn play, something that was impossible as the Gallowgate didn't have seats until many years after Wor Jackie left. Campbell later admitted he made it up

Brown: a Raith Rovers fan, he handed programmes at Starks Park as a child.

Cameron: infamously said he was a West Ham fan when he previously had claimed to be a Villa fan. His support for the other team in claret and blue comes from his uncle Sir William Dudgale being the chairman in their early 80s glory days.

May: Not a big football fan but reportedly has a soft spot for AFC Wimbledon (and the original club) due to her time as a councillor in Merton.

Johnson: typically Boris claimed to be a fan of all the London clubs.

Truss: a Norwich fan - although a Leeds native, she supports the team of her constituency.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3710 on: May 14, 2023, 03:52:02 PM »

Thatcher: her dislike of football and it's fans is well known but she was rather incredibly made Honorary Vice President of Blackburn Rovers by owner Jack Walker in the 90s.

Of course there were two major domestic football disasters (Bradford and Hillsborough) during her stint and her responses to both were perhaps not entirely adequate.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3711 on: May 15, 2023, 06:58:43 AM »

"Interesting" comments about voter ID from Jacob Rees-Mogg this morning.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3712 on: May 15, 2023, 08:27:20 AM »

Callaghan: not a big football fan, but his native club Portsmouth once asked him for digout when they were on hard times

Blair: famously a Newcastle fan, it was once claimed a young Tony sat in the Gallowgate end and saw Jackie Milburn play, something that was impossible as the Gallowgate didn't have seats until many years after Wor Jackie left. Campbell later admitted he made it up

Cameron: infamously said he was a West Ham fan when he previously had claimed to be a Villa fan. His support for the other team in claret and blue comes from his uncle Sir William Dudgale being the chairman in their early 80s glory days.

May: Not a big football fan but reportedly has a soft spot for AFC Wimbledon (and the original club) due to her time as a councillor in Merton.

Truss: a Norwich fan - although a Leeds native, she supports the team of her constituency.

Brown, in the manner of most people like him, was a fanatic fan and aced a quiz on raith rovers when he appeared on Soccer AM- his close aide Damian Mcbride recalled a press story about him being seen around the club on transfer deadline day.

Would pay good money to see him run a club.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3713 on: May 15, 2023, 08:29:35 AM »

Between this, the weird speech about childcare and one high profile backbenchers warning London could turn into the GDR if we built too many houses the Tory party has a very clear problem of too many people who frankly can’t stay quiet.

Always happens to big governments at the end- it’s like hearing the 20th Charles Clarke intervention in 2009!
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #3714 on: May 15, 2023, 08:32:48 AM »

I knew this "National Conservative" conference would produce a news-making soundbite or two, but I assumed it would be Miriam Cates doing her Gilead routine, rather than Rees-Mogg announcing "we did gerrymandering, and I was in cabinet to see it happen".
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3715 on: May 15, 2023, 09:49:39 AM »

Always happens to big governments at the end- it’s like hearing the 20th Charles Clarke intervention in 2009!

Now, there was a 2010 Labour loss that I wasn't too upset about.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #3716 on: May 15, 2023, 09:51:24 AM »

I knew this "National Conservative" conference would produce a news-making soundbite or two, but I assumed it would be Miriam Cates doing her Gilead routine, rather than Rees-Mogg announcing "we did gerrymandering, and I was in cabinet to see it happen".
Credibly rumoured on another forum to have tried to join the Lib Dems but ultimately joined the Tories when the former wouldn’t give her a safe council seat. Quite the journey since I assume.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3717 on: May 15, 2023, 11:03:37 AM »

Credibly rumoured on another forum to have tried to join the Lib Dems but ultimately joined the Tories when the former wouldn’t give her a safe council seat. Quite the journey since I assume.

That sounds very similar to the alleged history of the Member for South West Norfolk discussed on this same thread about six months ago. Starting to wonder whether this is just the established pathway for careerist types on the centre-right who're willing to swing further right to achieve their goals.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #3718 on: May 15, 2023, 11:06:35 AM »

Brown, in the manner of most people like him, was a fanatic fan and aced a quiz on raith rovers when he appeared on Soccer AM- his close aide Damian Mcbride recalled a press story about him being seen around the club on transfer deadline day.

As I recall, McBride's version is that when he asked Brown about it, the latter looked shifty and demanded to know if they had pictures.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3719 on: May 15, 2023, 12:42:45 PM »

As I recall, McBride's version is that when he asked Brown about it, the latter looked shifty and demanded to know if they had pictures.

This is McBride's account:

What spare time Gordon had up in Scotland he poured into not just supporting Raith Rovers, but pulling strings behind the scenes at the club, sometimes becoming a bit too involved. I rang him in October 2006 and said I'd had a call from a Scottish journalist who'd heard a bizarre rumour that Gordon was seen in a pub car park in Kirkcaldy after midnight apparently negotiating contract terms with Trinidad international Marvin Andrews. Gordon was silent, then said: Have they got photos?
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3720 on: May 15, 2023, 01:01:18 PM »

Soccer AM. That's quite a nostalgic thing for me. I think it might actually still be going, even though the effective end of it was when Tim Lovejoy left with several of the big personality 'side characters', which must have been about fifteen years ago. It was a part of my routine on Saturday mornings in the early to mid 2000s.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3721 on: May 15, 2023, 01:22:33 PM »

OK so things might be a bit different in the UK where it feels like half of all teams are London based, but if someone says they are a Yankees and Mets, Dodgers and Angels, Cubs and Whitesox, etc. fan, I guarantee you they are just the worst person.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #3722 on: May 15, 2023, 04:53:06 PM »

The realignment nonsense has been tiresome but I can put up with it if it means the self-destruction of all the idiots who actually bought into it.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3723 on: May 15, 2023, 05:25:30 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2023, 05:46:40 PM by Torrain »

Kruger really got a bit “out there”. Not just on the dog-whistle language about the “global elite” but also his remarks about the traditional family unit, where he seemed to attack single parents, unmarried and same-sex couples.

Between that and the stuff about not being a party of the South East, he’s basically writing Lib Dem leaflets in Blue Wall seats for the next election cycle.

Also a tad ironic that he’s banging on about how vital family values are, given he’s only got his seat due to being a staffer for a Prime Minister who has implied he’s not sure how many children he has.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #3724 on: May 15, 2023, 06:01:13 PM »

The ‘national conservatives’ don’t seem to understand the nation that they live in (well, that most of them live in).
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 146 147 148 [149] 150 151 152 153 154 ... 235  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies