UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 01:23:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 ... 234
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 255025 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2275 on: October 25, 2022, 04:10:19 PM »

"Truss didn't speak to you once in 49 days. I spoke to you in just enough time for the Ten O'Clock News of my first. We are not the same."

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #2276 on: October 25, 2022, 04:25:37 PM »

Sunak literally did a House of Cards to Shapps, one of his better unofficial whips, who spent most of the past month undermining the last PM.

What was Truss’ original sin in Shapps’ eyes? Passing him over for a cabinet post.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2277 on: October 25, 2022, 04:27:57 PM »

Sunak literally did a House of Cards to Shapps

Oh god, that means PM Shapps by the end of '23.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2278 on: October 25, 2022, 04:28:30 PM »

Sunak literally did a House of Cards to Shapps

Oh god, that means PM Shapps by the end of '23.
You might say that - I couldn’t possibly comment.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2279 on: October 25, 2022, 04:34:32 PM »

"Truss didn't speak to you once in 49 days. I spoke to you in just enough time for the Ten O'Clock News of my first. We are not the same."

The Welsh title for the Welsh First Minister has given me a new username idea lol.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2280 on: October 25, 2022, 04:37:49 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2022, 04:42:55 PM by Torrain »

https://twitter.com/rishisunak/status/1585011876710084608

The Welsh title for the Welsh First Minister has given me a new username idea lol.

“You ain’t nothing but a (Prif) Weinidog, Cymru all the time”

… I’m sorry.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #2281 on: October 25, 2022, 04:50:10 PM »

Not sure how long Braverman lasts. While this storm will (probably) pass, I still struggle to see her lasting the full parliament. Patel could be inflammatory, but she also had an off-button. Braverman has been a fire-starter for so long (literally building her political brand around it). I think she's going to make Sunak the third PM in a row to live to regret appointing her (see her announcing a leadership campaign from within Johnson's cabinet, and crippling Truss' authority at the end of an already damaging day).

If you come into office, and even the Lib Dems have decent material pre-written (“Glad to see the Home Office now believes in the rehabilitation of offenders”), things aren't exactly off to a great start.

Fourth I’d argue, since she resigned from May’s government too at the same time as Raab.

Braverman follows in a long tradition of people promoted for their ability to attract publicity rather than to get things done.

I think this reshuffle shows a surprising lack of strength from Sunak, restoring Braverman & retaining Cleverly despite their uselessness is a big move - I’d have bet on Simon Clarke staying ahead of those two for the symbolism of a Red Wall MP in the cabinet. He also only promoted a handful of loyalists: Harper, Stride being the only two without recent cabinet experience - and the others like Shapps, Jenrick, Dowden & Williamson all got lower offices than they’d have felt entitled to.

I suspect he’s aiming for it to be like Starmer’s original shadow cabinet, just about ensuring short term stability and he’ll reshuffle out Braverman, Cleverly, Coffey & perhaps demote Hunt in the new year - but it’s a surprising line up to me.

TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #2282 on: October 25, 2022, 05:09:52 PM »

Labour will be hoping that Williamson gets regularly wheeled out to the airwaves. Possibly the worst media performer to have ever held a cabinet position.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2283 on: October 25, 2022, 05:52:07 PM »

Labour will be hoping that Williamson gets regularly wheeled out to the airwaves. Possibly the worst media performer to have ever held a cabinet position.

Keith Joseph erasure.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2284 on: October 25, 2022, 05:55:29 PM »

It was right to keep Hunt on now because there has been so much turnover in that position already and the markets might freak, but also because he should be saved as a ritual sacrifice to appease public anger about the upcoming cuts.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2285 on: October 25, 2022, 08:21:38 PM »

This is interesting. Apparently Sunak's wife is more wealthy than King Charles.

They’re both enormously wealthy, but King Charles III is going to be appointing as prime minister someone wealthier than him in Rishi Sunak.

Sunak is a former Goldman Sachs GS, +1.13% analyst and hedge-fund manager, but his wealth overwhelmingly comes from his wife, Akshata Murthy, who is the daughter of the Infosys founder N.R. Narayana Murthy. Her 0.93% stake in Infosys 500209, +0.55% INFY, +0.98%, at Friday’s closing price, was worth $710 million.

Together, they own four properties — including one in Santa Monica, Calif. She also owns Catamaran Ventures, a venture-capital firm whose net book value at the end of last year was £3.5 million ($4 million).

The king’s assets are less easily marked to market. Forbes puts his personal assets at around $500 million, and other reports say his personal worth is more like $600 million. The queen consort, Camilla, is worth a few million, as well, and has her own country house.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #2286 on: October 26, 2022, 02:51:46 AM »

Keith Joseph erasure.

Ah yeah, the failed magician.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #2287 on: October 26, 2022, 03:37:57 AM »

I think one way Sunak has stored up trouble for himself is leaving it ambiguous about who is actually second in command, Raab has the title but it’s obviously empty - but Dowden, Gove & Williamson all have roles that will require them to work/coordinate across government - and will likely cause them to clash with one another/each others remits. A recipe for dysfunction.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2288 on: October 26, 2022, 03:41:14 AM »

Forget leaking, that Cabinet is going to be daily oil spills one after another.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2289 on: October 26, 2022, 03:49:13 AM »

Forget leaking, that Cabinet is going to be daily oil spills one after another.
"The ship of state is the only one to leak from the top" - Yes, Minister
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2290 on: October 26, 2022, 03:56:36 AM »
« Edited: October 26, 2022, 07:38:19 AM by Torrain »

Keith Joseph erasure.

Ah yeah, the failed magician.
It’s a crying shame Foot is largely remembered (outside of political circles) for just 1983 and the SDP split, given his sheer talent as a Commons performer.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2291 on: October 26, 2022, 05:12:35 AM »

Oct 31st fiscal event delayed for two weeks - sounds like they’ve dropped the pretence, and are just delivering a full budget.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2292 on: October 26, 2022, 06:51:53 AM »

Sunak did well enough at his first PMQs, then again so did his predecessor.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2293 on: October 26, 2022, 08:16:17 AM »

I thought Sunak did fine - not quite Cameron-level but better than the average Truss or May PMQs. Felt Starmer did well - but then again, with the Braverman re-appointment it was all open-goals for him this week. All subjective though.

Does feel like Labour are going to try and needle Sunak on appointing Braverman - see her prominence in both PMQs, and the Urgent Question right afterwards.

This afternoon, Downing Street is refusing to confirm whether Sunak was advised against reappointing Braverman on security grounds, by the Cabinet Secretary Simon Case. The Times reports he was 'furious' about the apointment - and Yvette Cooper has written to Case pushing for an investigation.

Feels like this will run for at least a little longer - even if it ends up petering out.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2294 on: October 26, 2022, 08:19:22 AM »

I thought Sunak did fine - not quite Cameron-level but better than the average Truss or May PMQs. Felt Starmer did well - but then again, with the Braverman re-appointment it was all open-goals for him this week. All subjective though.

"The only time he ran in a competitive election, he got trounced by the former Prime Minister, who herself got beaten by a lettuce" was such a killer line too.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2295 on: October 26, 2022, 09:26:45 AM »

"The only time he ran in a competitive election, he got trounced by the former Prime Minister, who herself got beaten by a lettuce" was such a killer line too.
It was good craic - and nice to see Starmer get a little better at pop-culture references too.
We've come a way from him awkwardly inserting Love Island into PMQs...
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #2296 on: October 26, 2022, 11:22:55 AM »

Rishi didn't do terrible, although I guess that's only compared to Truss.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2297 on: October 26, 2022, 12:19:58 PM »

Liz Truss is one of the few Prime Ministers that I genuinely believe was an empty-headed person lacking in brain cells. She wasn't robotic like Theresa May because of a mere social awkwardness but because there simply wasn't any extra level of thought beyond the pathetic soundbites.

Absolutely. It's been known for decades but she kept inexplicably being elevated.

The country is reeling from dubious Cameron era selection processes.

Even from America you could tell during the summer leadership campaign that she didn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed. It's unusual that she got this far because normally women in politics are held to a much higher standard than men and women who seem incompetent can't get anywhere. I don't understand how she kept moving up, but anyway the new Home Secretary is probably evidence that whatever Conservative Party processes led to Prime Minister Liz Truss have not been changed.

She somehow graduated from Oxford with a degree in PPE.

Curiously, though, the classification of that degree is not easy to find out.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #2298 on: October 26, 2022, 12:30:39 PM »

Academic qualification don't seem to correlate much with intelligence of Politician's, Richard Burgon has a degree from Cambridge. Thérèse Coffey who famously admitted to giving leftover antibiotics to friends has a PHD in chemistry.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2299 on: October 26, 2022, 02:16:59 PM »

Academic qualification don't seem to correlate much with intelligence of Politician's, Richard Burgon has a degree from Cambridge. Thérèse Coffey who famously admitted to giving leftover antibiotics to friends has a PHD in chemistry.

It's almost like being good at writing papers, taking tests, and running experiments is a wholly different skill set and personality trait than sagacity or common sense!
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 ... 234  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies