UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:12:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 ... 234
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 252521 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1825 on: October 20, 2022, 08:43:13 AM »

As an official PM - however short serving - she is surely entitled to them.

I hope so, just for the likely lolz if nothing else.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1826 on: October 20, 2022, 08:45:17 AM »

So it looks like Brady is saying there will be a membership vote. If that's the case, wouldn't the process drag out for a couple months like it did with BoJo? Or can they actually speed up the calendar to a more reasonable time frame? I don't think the country can handle two months of Lame Duck Liz.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1827 on: October 20, 2022, 08:45:41 AM »

Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1828 on: October 20, 2022, 08:48:44 AM »
« Edited: October 20, 2022, 09:41:20 AM by Mike88 »

A bit out of context, but despite her 50 days or so as PM, Liz Truss is just one of the 9 PMs, since 1721, who have govern with two different monarchs.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1829 on: October 20, 2022, 08:49:15 AM »

So it looks like Brady is saying there will be a membership vote. If that's the case, wouldn't the process drag out for a couple months like it did with BoJo? Or can they actually speed up the calendar to a more reasonable time frame? I don't think the country can handle two months of Lame Duck Liz.

I guess in the spirit of Truss, they're going to completely bungle the logistics of a leadership election by mixed messages and overpromising.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1830 on: October 20, 2022, 08:49:29 AM »

They could speed it up significantly, for sure - one reason why it took so long last time was that it coincided with the lengthy summer recess for parliament in any case.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1831 on: October 20, 2022, 08:50:16 AM »

A bit out if context, but despite her 50 days or so as PM, Liz Truss is just one of the 9 PMs, since 1721, who have governed with two different monarchs.

More fun trivia facts: for a period of two to three days, the UK had its longest-reigning monarch and shortest serving Prime Minister simultaneously.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1832 on: October 20, 2022, 08:50:39 AM »

As an official PM - however short serving - she is surely entitled to them.

I hope so, just for the likely lolz if nothing else.

If I was her i would exclusively pick sitting MP's (including herself) to throw a grenade in the new ministry's way.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1833 on: October 20, 2022, 08:51:05 AM »

Yep. May was "coronated" after Leadsom pulled out.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1834 on: October 20, 2022, 08:51:08 AM »

One day, I will be a calm and rational poster, who doesn't fall for defection rumours. But today is not that day.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1835 on: October 20, 2022, 08:51:56 AM »

Can’t wait for Truss’s last PMQs.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1836 on: October 20, 2022, 08:52:02 AM »

Nice parabolic curve...
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1837 on: October 20, 2022, 08:52:19 AM »

One day, I will be a calm and rational poster, who doesn't fall for defection rumours. But today is not that day.

And by "national interest" he means of course himself.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1838 on: October 20, 2022, 08:52:45 AM »

Yep. May was "coronated" after Leadsom pulled out.

But even if she hadn't withdrawn, it very likely would have been done quicker than this summer.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1839 on: October 20, 2022, 08:54:44 AM »

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1583092314846941184

And by "national interest" he means of course himself.
Zero doubt. He holds a fair portion of responsibility for the s**tshow of the past month. His "caretaker" government did nothing on the energy crisis for a month, and he actively whipped his supporters to support Truss.

Forget Truss - he's the real human handgrenade.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1840 on: October 20, 2022, 08:55:57 AM »

So the next leader will serve for what? Three weeks?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1841 on: October 20, 2022, 08:56:52 AM »

Well apart from the "getting to a GE and losing nearly all your seats" bit, but we can't have everything.
Pulaski

« Reply #1842 on: October 20, 2022, 09:03:19 AM »

Labour should tell whoever that is to sit and spin. Why reward careerist slimes?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1843 on: October 20, 2022, 09:04:52 AM »

From the BBC liveblog:

Remarks made by 1922 Committee chairman Sir Graham Brady - that under current rules, the last two candidates from the leadership contest go to the membership unless there's only one left - suggest there is still a bit of wiggle room.

One of the wheezes that's been discussed in Parliament in the last few days is that MPs could set such a high threshold that only an MP with a lot of support would get there.

It's not certain what's going to happen, to be frank. This is an unprecedented situation.

We should have more details by the end of the day. Brady will be conscious of spelling out how the next leader will be chosen.

There are a lot of MPs who don't want this to go to the Conservative Party membership - they think a new leader needs to be chosen as quickly as possible.

The logistics of trying to consult the membership in only a week are hard to figure out - unless it was a quick online ballot. But even that would be a hard task.

As for MPs, if they're to end up choosing the next leader themselves, how can they coalesce around one person? It seems unlikely, impossible even.

So, we wait for more details on what exactly will happen.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1844 on: October 20, 2022, 09:05:15 AM »

I believe the most consensual candidate for next PM, within number 10 right now, is of course... Larry the Cat. The rest have no chance at all.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1845 on: October 20, 2022, 09:05:48 AM »

It’s not specifically about the parties - it’s about the impact that bringing Johnson back would have. This inquiry could still see Johnson suspended from the Commons for a week or two - which could force a by-election in his seat.

Between that, and the optics of reappointing a man under investigation to run the country, this is a point about where the party goes next. Picking Johnson isn’t feasible, but some loyalist MPs still need to be convinced of that. Nadine Dorries is beyond anyone’s help, but some others might be able to be convinced to back a unity ticket instead.

We all know in the back of our minds that this is exactly what's going to happen now.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1846 on: October 20, 2022, 09:06:23 AM »

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1583092314846941184

Labour should tell whoever that is to sit and spin. Why reward careerist slimes?
At this point, it's unclear whether Labour would admit them - they've already picked most of their candidates for the next election. But Tory MPs resigning the Conservative Whip is a positive sign in its own right, whether they sit as independents or opposition party MPs.

Cut this majority to tatters, and speed up the calling of a fresh general election.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1847 on: October 20, 2022, 09:07:09 AM »

Sam Allardyce in as caretaker to avoid relegation?

He's a Labour man which would make that problematic. Maybe Lampard could be persuaded to leave Everton?

This is the perfect opportunity to put a stop to any more Andrew Strauss High Performance Reviews.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1848 on: October 20, 2022, 09:08:35 AM »

It’s not specifically about the parties - it’s about the impact that bringing Johnson back would have. This inquiry could still see Johnson suspended from the Commons for a week or two - which could force a by-election in his seat.

Between that, and the optics of reappointing a man under investigation to run the country, this is a point about where the party goes next. Picking Johnson isn’t feasible, but some loyalist MPs still need to be convinced of that. Nadine Dorries is beyond anyone’s help, but some others might be able to be convinced to back a unity ticket instead.

We all know in the back of our minds that this is exactly what's going to happen now.
If he gets into the final two - yeah, he'll come back. My blood pressure has increased just at the thought.

But there's significant pressure going on behind the scenes amongst Tory MPs to box him out - many see it as the final humiliation for the party.

No idea how it'll play out at this point though.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1849 on: October 20, 2022, 09:18:36 AM »

2:15 on.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 ... 234  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies