UK General Discussion: Rishecession (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:15:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 239328 times)
Pulaski

« on: September 06, 2022, 05:38:34 AM »

A much closer result than many expected, myself included.

A Foreign Secretary with underwhelming charisma ascending to the head of a beleagured 12-year-old Conservative government whose mismanagement saw Britain's global influence severely curtailed. All getting a bit Douglas-Home over here.
Pulaski

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 03:09:09 AM »

This might be embarrassing for the new PM.

Already came out during the hustings. Breezed over by the same people who chastised Corbyn for similar sentiments.

(Mind you, Corbyn didn't exactly work hard to dispel those perceptions)
Pulaski

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 08:11:41 AM »

I've written long posts about fracking in the past and how little sense it makes so I won't bother here, but can I just say how delighted I am that JRM's latched on to an initiative that will undoubtedly lose the Tories votes, and hopefully do damage to his carefully crafted image as an old-fashioned gent.

I noticed that quite a number of Tory MPs expressing concern come from marginal seats in the North & Midlands - Blackpool South, Bolsover, Blackpool North & Cleveleys (maybe a stretch that last one). Hopefully fracking helps Labour to reclaim some of that red wall.
Pulaski

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 12:26:25 PM »

Boris Johnson returns as leader within a year as the voice of rationality and moderation. Calling it now.

Boris Johnson makes Kevin Rudd look selfless and even-tempered. An amazing accomplishment really.
Pulaski

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 12:35:07 PM »

It still confuses me how a second house works in a meaningful way in a parliamentary system.

For my money, since in the majority of Westminster systems a clear majority in the lower house is the norm and lower houses often serve as basically just an electoral college, an upper house that is relatively representative (so definitely not the Lords) can assist in restricting governments to work with other parties to pass legislation, potentially protecting against the "tyranny of the majority" (not even a majority as very often governments are elected with far less than 50% of votes these days).

An alternative would be something like New Zealand where parliament is unicameral but the electoral system is set up such that outright majorities are rare (present circumstances excepted) so parties of government have to reach out or moderate their approaches to pass legislation. As someone who's far from moderate in their politics this can be personally frustrating but is probably healthier for democracies overall.
Pulaski

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 05:44:34 AM »

I compared Truss to Douglas-Home when she ascended, but she's outdone him. I honestly don't think we've seen a Prime Minister in modern history manage to make their leadership basically untenable in such a short period of time. May was pretty quick thanks to the poisoned chalice she inherited, but Truss has blown her record to smithereens.

I understand Starmer's overtures to the centre-ground - it's hardly an innovation - but I hope as Prime Minister he'll keep true to his Labour roots.
Pulaski

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 05:45:33 AM »

We might even see another Christian Wakeford at this rate.

Rats leaving a sunken ship deserve no lifeboats. Let them drown.
Pulaski

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 05:59:54 AM »

Amazing lack of content, so much so that she kept repeating herself endlessly, even though it was not a long speech.

Please tell me we got an update on those Beijing Pork markets.
Pulaski

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 10:29:43 PM »

It always confuses me that political parties are allowed to play songs when they obviously haven't cleared it with the artists first. I know in some cases the artists no longer have the rights, but when they do, and the conferences function as a massive fundraising opportunity (which they inevitably do), does that not violate copyright?
Pulaski

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2022, 10:57:02 AM »

This is just wonderful.
Pulaski

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2022, 08:58:42 PM »

Nobody gives a quote like "anonymous Tory MP" does.

OK, technically this is a parody, but at this point........

This is actually a good test for people; see how far they get into this before they realise it's parody. I got to "sea lion driving a segway into a bear trap factory."

When Truss goes there will surely have to be a general election called won't there?
Pulaski

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2022, 08:49:29 PM »

I know I will probably get slated for this again but I'd still definitely keep an eye on Braverman - a dark horse to take over.
Pulaski

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2022, 09:03:19 AM »

One day, I will be a calm and rational poster, who doesn't fall for defection rumours. But today is not that day.

Labour should tell whoever that is to sit and spin. Why reward careerist slimes?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies