SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:57:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 103371 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1600 on: June 24, 2022, 01:51:57 PM »

Solo opinion? In other words there's no political appetite to repeal ssm.

Doesn't make today any less despicable.

If you don't think that some deep south states were other far-right states like Idaho or the like will chomp at the bit to attempt passing laws repealing same-sex marriage to try to get OB p e r f e l l repealed, probably within the next year, I think you're being far too naive.

And all we have to rely on is the Hope, a 50-50 chance at best, that Justice Gorsuch will not distinguish his largely textualist decision MBA stock with the opinion he joined in Hobbs which, notwithstanding the Clarion call issued by Taliban Thomas, clearly lays a Legal Foundation for repealing o b g e r f e l l along with yes Lawrence and other cases
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1601 on: June 24, 2022, 01:52:08 PM »

Well, there's only one conclusion. That 235-year-old document you hold so dear is in dire need of a 21st century-worthy replacement. Preferably with a provision stating that you must revisit it at least once every few decades. And while you're at it, make sure your highest court cannot be populated by partisan hacks and that their tenure is limited to 10-15 years max.

I am afraid that the alternative would an uncontrolled descent into total chaos.

I think for many, that's the point.

But but Law and Order.

Oh wait....
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1602 on: June 24, 2022, 01:53:22 PM »

Anyone who supports this ruling must now adopt all the babies which result from unwanted pregnancies.

Own the decision with the same vigor you have in praising it.
Everybody who supports immigration must now house all the foreigners which result from unwanted border crossings and visa overstays.

Own the policy with the same vigor you have in supporting it.

...you think there are a bunch of homeless immigrants in America? They came here to work and support themselves. Not at all the same thing.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1603 on: June 24, 2022, 01:55:43 PM »

Dane County DA will not enforce Wisconsin's ban.

Won't a lot of these bans be mostly ineffective since most cities have Democratic DAs who aren't going to enforce any bans?
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1604 on: June 24, 2022, 02:00:50 PM »

Anyone who supports this ruling must now adopt all the babies which result from unwanted pregnancies.

Own the decision with the same vigor you have in praising it.
Everybody who supports immigration must now house all the foreigners which result from unwanted border crossings and visa overstays.

Own the policy with the same vigor you have in supporting it.

Scientists have recently discovered that, unlike immigrants, infants are actually incapable of finding jobs and therefore need to be supported by someone. This is due to the fact that they are extremely small and are frequently unable to walk or speak intelligibly. The more you know!

Like the elderly. Or some people with disabilities. How far down that road do you want to go.

...what? My point is that immigrants don't need housing lol, they just need economic opportunity. Infants, however, do need parents.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1605 on: June 24, 2022, 02:02:15 PM »

Won't a lot of these bans be mostly ineffective since most cities have Democratic DAs who aren't going to enforce any bans?

No, for several reasons. First off, this will effectively kill any abortion Provider Services outside of big cities. Most of them already are in big cities or at least medium cities, but it's not going to be quite the blanket Protection One tl might think.

Secondly, and more importantly, any Republican Attorney General will unquestionably use the opportunity to prosecute / shut down any abortion service providers in those cities. Most States Attorney General's office have the authority to prosecute state laws and do. So they won't even need to go after every woman who obtains an illegal abortion, but only a handful of providers with their doors still open.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #1606 on: June 24, 2022, 02:04:58 PM »

It's time for Democrats to play hardball; we can't keep being the nice guys while the GOP goes full Gilead.

We need to start funding programs to mail any woman who needs it contraceptive pills in red and blue states, free of charge.

Blue states need to pass amnesty laws that any woman who is prosecuted for exercising her reproductive rights will be protected in blue states.

Democratic Presidents must forthrightly lay out the case to the American people for the deterioration of the judicial branch since the Garland fiasco and go full Jackson. Weekly addresses if necessary.

How do you go Jackson on a decision that says the people’s elected representatives are the ones who will decide abortion law

The people have been robbed of their elected representatives.

The Republican Party's gerrymandering has stolen the ability of non-conservative voters to win legislative majorities when they make up a majority.

Wisconsin Assembly in 2018: Democrats won the popular vote by 8.24%. Republicans won 63 out of 100 seats. That majority was stolen by your party, with your consent. That legislature is supposed to reflect and enact the will of the people of Wisconsin?

Republican Supremes hand power to states where it is impossible for Republicans to lose power and pretend it is democracy. You clearly don't give a damn about liberty so long as you get your way.

Thieves and liars bringing the country to a violent boil rather than accept America's democracy.

They won by 1% not 8%

Also, if it's undemocratic for Republicans to win 63% of the seats in Wisconsin in 2018 while losing the popular vote, then why is it not also undemocratic for Democrats to win 62% of the seats in Nevada in 2020 while losing the popular vote by 5 points? Why is it undemocratic when geographic distribution favors Republicans, but not when it favors Democrats?

Which party voted in the House to ban gerrymandering at the federal level, and which party voted overwhelmingly against it? You don't get to b**** about this or pretend that gerrymandering doesn't overwhelmingly benefit republicans when you party is literally blocking the passage of a law that would ban the practice of partisan gerrymandering, and when 5 republican SCOTUS judges upheld gerrymandering and the four liberals voted against it.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1607 on: June 24, 2022, 02:06:21 PM »

No, for several reasons. First off, this will effectively kill any abortion Provider Services outside of big cities. Most of them already are in big cities or at least medium cities, but it's not going to be quite the blanket Protection One tl might think.

Secondly, and more importantly, any Republican Attorney General will unquestionably use the opportunity to prosecute / shut down any abortion service providers in those cities. Most States Attorney General's office have the authority to prosecute state laws and do. So they won't even need to go after every woman who obtains an illegal abortion, but only a handful of providers with their doors still open.

How do you think medical providers can continue their practice, continuing education and training, upkeep their facilities, carry insurance liability, with a patchwork system of laws where some state, county, or even individuals will be able to prosecute or sue them. You can not have abortion providers with a reality like this, people are being incredibly naive about what's about to happen.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1608 on: June 24, 2022, 02:08:17 PM »

Angel of Death
« Reply #1609 on: June 24, 2022, 02:10:02 PM »

How far from the coastline could an abortion boat (ŕ la Women on Waves) operate without being within the jurisdiction of a U.S. state?

200 miles. My guess is that it would only really work for Texas but then again, I think Nuevo Laredo has legalized abortion sooo...

Nope.  It's 3 nautical miles (a nautical mile is about 15% larger than a statute mile), except for Texas, the Gulf Coast of Florida, and Puerto Rico, where it's 9 nautical miles.

https://govinfo.library.unt.edu/oceancommission/documents/full_color_rpt/03a_primer.pdf
I guess the 200 is for federal waters only.

No, that's only 12 nautical miles. 200 nautical miles is for the exclusive economic zone.
Vespucci
United States

« Reply #1610 on: June 24, 2022, 02:10:27 PM »

Solid you do know that you can just post in the thread, right? You don't need to tweet it and then repost the tweets into the thread.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1611 on: June 24, 2022, 02:10:47 PM »

I woke up in the 21st century, I'll be going to sleep in the 18th.
Dr. Frankenstein
DoctorFrankenstein
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #1612 on: June 24, 2022, 02:11:43 PM »

Well, there's only one conclusion. That 235-year-old document you hold so dear is in dire need of a 21st century-worthy replacement. Preferably with a provision stating that you must revisit it at least once every few decades. And while you're at it, make sure your highest court cannot be populated by partisan hacks and that their tenure is limited to 10-15 years max.

I am afraid that the alternative would an uncontrolled descent into total chaos.

I think for many, that's the point.

I don't think so, because that scenario is one they cannot control. And their ultimate desire is to be in control. The same could be said for the other extreme of the political spectrum.

The problem is that 70% of the population is somewhere in the middle. And all they want is sensible, reasonable policies. Of course, some lean more conservative, some more progressive. But ultimately, they are not against compromise or common sense. Of course, this is not possible in this environment/within the current framework.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1613 on: June 24, 2022, 02:12:02 PM »

That's certainly a hot take. Not sure a governor could even do this, and if Kavanaugh somehow would have been charged, it would have happened while Trump was still president and therefore able to fill the seat with another right-winger.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1614 on: June 24, 2022, 02:12:30 PM »

Well, there's one super super obvious solution to this.

Vote for democrats even when they don't pass your precious purity tests. If more people had followed that extremely simple bit of common sense, we wouldn't be where we are today.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1615 on: June 24, 2022, 02:13:39 PM »

Alright. Effortpost up, I had a lot of scattered thoughts about this but I figured I'd try to make a coherent defense of my points. One that isn't raging at the neolibs.

I'm more focused on Democrats' role because we expect this from the GOP. From a court that constantly tramples precedent, where one of their justice's spouses openly endorsed a political coup, appointed by presidents who lost the popular vote, and three of its members knowingly and willfully perjured their way to their nomination. The Democrats have blame here as well - their prioritization of nominal power over actual power, the prioritization of their own political careers and fundraising over meaningful change, and civility over policy.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg is merely a symptom of the problem - a party that is obsessed with reliving the 1990s. A party that squandered its supermajority to show a country that didn't care how bipartisan it was. Ginsburg stayed on the court because she believed retiring during a Democratic midterm would "politicize the court". A court where open hacks are nominated without scrutiny, blatant perjury is overlooked because it's politically convenient, and precedent is merely a suggestion. Checks and balances have utterly failed.

Pelosi is the one that comes to mind, still talking about how America needs a "strong Republican Party", but even Biden is guilty of this. In reality, the people who caused this have been here since then. The good old days of bipartisanship and kumbaya were never here in the first place. Mitch McConnell has been around since 1985. Clarence Thomas has been serving since 1991. George W. Bush appointed Alito and Roberts.  This isn't Donald Trump's party that overturned Roe or pushed an activist court. This is Mitt Romney, Liz Cheney, and Adam Kinzinger's GOP. There's a difference between praising these people and the outright hero worship we see from Democrats today.

The Democratic Party not only believes people like OSR would vote for them, but actively believes its energy is better spent persuading him than motivating its base. As the party has professionalized, it feels like they see more in common with their affluent, educated comrades across the aisle than the rubes they represent. Democratic leadership will gladly accept you as their ally if you say the magic words - "Trump bad" - even if you continue to support his lackeys and ideas. Liz Cheney, #Resistance hero and Good Republican, publicly supported and celebrated Roe being overturned. Mitt Romney confirmed Barrett and would have confirmed Kavanaugh. If you give lip service to the thought of opposition, Democrats laud you as a hero and hold you as proof that there's Good in the Republican Party.

The whole argument about "voting for Democrats" is what I talk about when I say they're more concerned with nominal power than actual power. The Cuellars and Manchins and Schraders and Sinemas of the world need to be stopped, but there are plenty more waiting in the wings. Take the minimum wage discourse, for example. While everyone was outraged about Sinema's thumbs-down dance, Tom Carper and Chris Coons did the exact same coordinated dance. More disgustingly, Hassan and Shaheen voted against raising the minimum wage at the behest of the owner of the largest restaurant chain in the state. This isn't a localized incident. There's a bloc of these people in the House and the Senate, willing to screw us over for a quick campaign donation, often elected because of "electability".

What good is electing a "Democrat" if they just get into office and vote like a Republican?

And that's not even talking about the Andrew Cuomos of the world, who actively campaigned for more Republicans to get elected. Or the heads of various state and local parties that openly endorsed Trump entryists because a progressive would risk defeating their own machines. Hell, that's how Manchin got his start in politics! By losing a primary, endorsing the Republican, and burning down the party to remake in his conservative image.

I don't necessarily think that Democrats are secretly pro-life or whatever. I think they just care about incumbency and civility more. It doesn't matter that Henry Cuellar is in a D+5, Trump-trending district. It doesn't matter that Cisneros was outside the lockstep of the district. It doesn't matter that Henry Cuellar is pro-life and anti-union. Leadership backed Henry Cuellar because he's One of Them. He's on the whip team. He's been in office for 18 years, going on 20. So leadership campaigns for him and gets him elected, despite his lack of support for the Democratic agenda in a district that's less hostile than Sinema's.

And those who support his challenger get blackballed from the caucus, and get passed over for key committee assignments. Even if it means appointing the deciding vote against prescription drug reform. After all, Cuellar's views make for awkward conversation at the caucus's weekly brunch.

The Democratic Party has learned nothing from 2008, let alone 2020. They believe voters value "bipartisanship" and act on a agenda that enriches the ruling class at their expense. You don't see Republicans do this type of masturbatory crap when they talk about tax reform or COVID relief or whatever. They just get it done. Leadership operates as if the Republicans are good-faith actors, and those who pay lip service are lionized as honorary Democrats. Those responsible for stifling the agenda are allowed to thrive in the name of "norms and civility", and those who speak truth to power are silenced at the expense of the agenda.

The more I see the party try the same thing, and the more they attempt to stifle those looking for the structural change they claim to want, the less I trust our politicians to save us. Democrats aren't heroes. RBG and KBJ aren't heroes. The Squad and the Bernie wing aren't heroes. We are the only ones who can save ourselves and fight for our rights. And whether you believe we can change from within, we cannot rely on our politicians or the Democratic Party when they've proven they won't get in the mud.

We need to stop being complacent and expect better from our politicians. We need to find who stands with us ourselves, and not their clique or their people. We need to channel our energy towards those who do, and show those who sell us out that we control their job. Donating to a broken party and voting for its candidates wholesale is not enough. Our emancipation will come from our own fight and our own labor.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #1616 on: June 24, 2022, 02:15:07 PM »

What the heck, this actually happened? I know it was out there and shouldn't be much of a surprise, though I still had hope it may not occur. Welcome back to the 1950s!

The only thing that really accomplishes is that poor women in red states can no longer afford abortions. If you make enough money, it's still possible to go a blue state or Canada. This is just cruel and makes no sense other than scoring political points.

Obama calls for activits to fight:

Why didn't Obama fight when we elected him?

He should have pressured Ginsburg to retire in 2013/14.

She and Biden-Collins voters in Maine at least deserve some blame for this as well.

He did. Ginsburg didn't listen. I was a huge Ginsburg fan, but her decision to stay on the Court is on her, not Obama. He literally had lunch with her where he said he was going to lose the Senate and she stayed b/c she wanted to be 93 years old or something before she left the Court. It's her fault. A tragic mistake that will undo a lot of what she spent her great career fighting for.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1617 on: June 24, 2022, 02:15:29 PM »

Exodus: “Thou shalt not lie.”

Exodus: “Abortion is not only OK, in some circumstances it’s demanded and here’s how to do it.”

Gorsuch and Kavanaugh: “Because I believe in the Bible of Exodus, I will lie in order to stop abortion.”
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1618 on: June 24, 2022, 02:16:05 PM »

So unsurprisingly the sole clinic in North Dakota in Fargo has already announced plans to move across the border and they already have a site purchased and ready to set up. Abortion will be illegal in ND 30 days from now per an existing "trigger" law and it's unclear if they'll be able to be set up within 30 days though. Also because they're saying they might have difficulty with both operating costs at the current location and the cost of furnishing the new one they've set up a GoFundMe (not linking it because that might be considered some sort of solicitation banned under ToS here)and already raised over $100k. Frankly they should've prepared for this and moved long ago but regardless the good news is not much will change long term in that area...although again if they can make it in the 30 day window is unclear.

Also this means next year we could have an unusual situation of people crossing the Red River border to Moorhead to get abortions and people crossing the Red River border to Fargo to buy smokable marijuana.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1619 on: June 24, 2022, 02:17:55 PM »

To keep babies safe, we should adopt other pro-life policies, such as stricter gun controls measures.

Right guys?
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #1620 on: June 24, 2022, 02:18:35 PM »

Vote for democrats even when they don't pass your precious purity tests. If more people had followed that extremely simple bit of common sense, we wouldn't be where we are today.

"Where we are" today is in a ridiculous state of tribal warfare, which is far and away the biggest problem with modern discourse. Binary tribal warfare too, which is the worst kind. That wouldn't be any different if certain recent elections had gone differently.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1621 on: June 24, 2022, 02:21:09 PM »

To keep babies safe, we should adopt other pro-life policies, such as stricter gun controls measures.

Right guys?

Right.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1622 on: June 24, 2022, 02:21:26 PM »

"Where we are" today is in a ridiculous state of tribal warfare, which is far and away the biggest problem with modern discourse. Binary tribal warfare too, which is the worst kind. That wouldn't be any different if certain recent elections had gone differently.
Sure it would be different. There was tribal warfare before 2016 but the Trump era catapulted it into the stratosphere. If Trump had lost by 10 points, which he should have, republicans would likely have gone back to nominating Romney/McCain types.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1623 on: June 24, 2022, 02:27:59 PM »

Right guys?

"No. Once they pop out of the womb it's not my problem any more."

Maybe it's time they DO care about all the kids when they are real kids and not some idea in a womb.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1624 on: June 24, 2022, 02:28:45 PM »

So unsurprisingly the sole clinic in North Dakota in Fargo has already announced plans to move across the border and they already have a site purchased and ready to set up. Abortion will be illegal in ND 30 days from now per an existing "trigger" law and it's unclear if they'll be able to be set up within 30 days though. Also because they're saying they might have difficulty with both operating costs at the current location and the cost of furnishing the new one they've set up a GoFundMe (not linking it because that might be considered some sort of solicitation banned under ToS here)and already raised over $100k. Frankly they should've prepared for this and moved long ago but regardless the good news is not much will change long term in that area...although again if they can make it in the 30 day window is unclear.

Also this means next year we could have an unusual situation of people crossing the Red River border to Moorhead to get abortions and people crossing the Red River border to Fargo to buy smokable marijuana.

This whole thing is going to get far dumber than I could ever possibly imagine, isn’t it?
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies