SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:23:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 103664 times)
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: May 02, 2022, 09:47:42 PM »

This is a leak of a document written in February, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. But If this is the real opinion they'll be releasing in a few weeks, Praise the LORD. This is not only the legally correct (When you take all the politics out of it, there is no right to abortion in the constitution. It simply isn't there. We invented it in 1973, and have only kept it around this long for public opinion concerns, which is not a legally appropriate basis for Court Decisions.) but also incredibly life-saving Decision. It's also a balanced decision that doesn't threaten Griswold or try to define personhood. It simply leaves abortion to the states. Maryland can allow abortion in the 9th Month, as their laws currently do. Texas can ban it completely if they choose. For the first time in nearly fifty years, people will not be told by a court what to do about abortion, but instead to determine the appropriate destiny for each society through our democracy. And they will remain able to prevent implantation via contraception.

I don't much care who this helps electorally. What I do find praise in is the strengthening of our democracy and the saving of lives that this decision would bring.

Also, if it's all true - Gorsuch, I was wrong about you. I still don't really get why you gave this answer, but glad to see you are actually pro-life. https://youtu.be/Z08EdjHJgoI
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #226 on: May 02, 2022, 09:48:03 PM »

Christian Nationalism wins tonight, the soul of America loses.

We're going to need motivation from pro-choice this Fall, because this is a serious backwards to the health and safety of woman in our country. A certain segment of the country is more concerned with punishing woman than providing them the most available option for an abortion, however they find it troubling.

abortion doesn't improve the health and safety of women.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #227 on: May 02, 2022, 09:48:26 PM »

This is a leak of a document written in February, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. But If this is the real opinion they'll be releasing in a few weeks, Praise the LORD. This is not only the legally correct (When you take all the politics out of it, there is no right to abortion in the constitution. It simply isn't there. We invented it in 1973, and have only kept it around this long for public opinion concerns, which is not a legally appropriate basis for Court Decisions.) but also incredibly life-saving Decision. It's also a balanced decision that doesn't threaten Griswold or try to define personhood. It simply leaves abortion to the states. Maryland can allow abortion in the 9th Month, as their laws currently do. Texas can ban it completely if they choose. For the first time in nearly fifty years, people will not be told by a court what to do about abortion, but instead to determine the appropriate destiny for each society through our democracy. And they will remain able to prevent implantation via contraception.

I don't much care who this helps electorally. What I do find praise in is the strengthening of our democracy and the saving of lives that this decision would bring.

Also, if it's all true - Gorsuch, I was wrong about you. I still don't really get why you gave this answer, but glad to see you are actually pro-life. https://youtu.be/Z08EdjHJgoI

Why do you hate women so much?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #228 on: May 02, 2022, 09:48:32 PM »

Fairly obvious imo that the leak came from the conservative side. If Kavanaugh (or anyone else I guess) were still wavering/undecided they damn well cannot change sides now without everyone accusing them of bending to the mob or whatever. And also lessens the political fallout; if there’s only one dramatic event in June it’s much more polarizing than leaks that no one can be sure about in early May followed by a decision that most people already expected seven weeks later.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #229 on: May 02, 2022, 09:49:06 PM »

We're going to need motivation from pro-choice this Fall, because this is a serious backwards to the health and safety of woman in our country. A certain segment of the country is more concerned with punishing woman than providing them the most available option for an abortion, however they find it troubling.

It certainly doesn't do anything harmful to them.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #230 on: May 02, 2022, 09:50:12 PM »

Nothing about that post suggests he hates women.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #231 on: May 02, 2022, 09:51:26 PM »

Apart from the fact he's salivating over a woman's right to bodily autonomy being revoked.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #232 on: May 02, 2022, 09:51:55 PM »

Women will die, but I guess that's okay with you as long was we protect the blob of cells.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #233 on: May 02, 2022, 09:52:04 PM »

8 pages on this in two hours and real issues like inflation are lucky to get two

Sad!

1 in 4 women will have an abortion by age 45.

Whether you personally care about it or not, abortion is very much a real issue.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #234 on: May 02, 2022, 09:52:13 PM »

So wait, abortion will be completely illegal in those 13 states with laws banning abortion, even abortions in the first trimester?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #235 on: May 02, 2022, 09:52:31 PM »

Erica Kane wasn't this melodramatic.
WV222
masterofawesome

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #236 on: May 02, 2022, 09:52:54 PM »

Protests at SCOTUS update-

fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #237 on: May 02, 2022, 09:53:01 PM »

Apart from the fact he's salivating over a woman's right to bodily autonomy being revoked.

For the vast majority of cases, women can exercise their right to bodily autonomy by choosing not to engage in acts they know can result in pregnancy.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #238 on: May 02, 2022, 09:54:17 PM »

I'm very pleased with this outcome. Never thought this day would actually come.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #239 on: May 02, 2022, 09:54:33 PM »

Women will die, but I guess that's okay with you as long was we protect the blob of cells.

Women's lives aren't at risk, and a basic understanding of human biology would tell you the human in the womb is not a "blob of cells".
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #240 on: May 02, 2022, 09:54:50 PM »

It certainly doesn't do anything harmful to them.

Putting on my doctor's hat for a moment:  abortions CAN have negative side effects for the mother and future pregnancies.    

Depending on how they're performed, an abortion can cause a weakening of the cervix (increasing the risk of a preterm birth in the future) -- among other side effects.  

But that's purely from an anatomical standpoint and in no way endorses any position on this issue (even though I think...I've been fairly clear on how I feel about all this).    
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #241 on: May 02, 2022, 09:55:45 PM »

Another reason to support this decision: I am currently in my first week of finals, and my class groupchat is blowing up with people saying they're going to protests. While my fellow students are picketing, I shall be finishing my Administrative Law outline. Alito just gave me a big chance to wreck the curve.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #242 on: May 02, 2022, 09:55:52 PM »

For the vast majority of cases, women can exercise their right to bodily autonomy by choosing not to engage in acts they know can result in pregnancy.

And with that, you confirm you hate women too.

I am a woman. My opinion on the issue has more value than yours.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #243 on: May 02, 2022, 09:56:24 PM »

look I know mr x can be disingenuous but its obvious what he's talking about. As I said above, people in this thread are fear mongering about the SCOTUS using the same logic to overturn Griswold/Obergefell/Lawrence. That's absolutely concern trolling

I don't think it's fearmongering at all. In principle the votes are on the court to overturn Obergefell: political consideration is holding the conservative majority back. I'm not sure if they will, but it's at least a possibility.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #244 on: May 02, 2022, 09:56:51 PM »

Protests at SCOTUS update-

I notice that most of the protestors are white. That is weird, given they are in D.C.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #245 on: May 02, 2022, 09:56:55 PM »

For every demon that votes this November, true Christians who are willing to do anything to defend God's designs will stand firm and defeat the vote of evil.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #246 on: May 02, 2022, 09:57:06 PM »

Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #247 on: May 02, 2022, 09:57:08 PM »

This logic makes no sense. If the outcome is already known, then "the blow" already happened/is currently happening/will be happening.

If the end result is, instead, an opinion by Thomas that isn't quite so egregiously awful and transparently political, the right can use the contrast between Alito's naked partisan ****-take and Thomas' technically equivalent but far more normal-seeming opinion to paint it as liberals getting all bent out of shape over "business as usual". It won't help them with any pro-choice voters, but it will help them maintain the illusion for their followers that they're the "normal" part of the country.

No one will care how the decision is worded. That's not the issue here, it's the outcome.

Maybe you'll have a point if they do an about-face or take the middle ground and uphold the MS law but keep Roe and Casey intact.
James Monroe

« Reply #248 on: May 02, 2022, 09:57:22 PM »

Providing the safest option for a woman to seek an abortion does in fact improve their health and safety net. In the days before Roe V Wade, woman had to go into back alleys where they would nominally died because of the procedure done that were not handled properly through certified doctors and medical experts. When you start outlawing any legalization of abortion you are saying we should go back to the past, a reactionary approach to for many conservative approaches.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #249 on: May 02, 2022, 09:57:37 PM »

I honestly wouldn't be shocked at this point if the final opinion prohibits the states from legalizing abortion as well.

Hard to do that since that would contradict any reasoning they used to overturn Roe v. Wade. If the argument is that abortion isn't a constitutional right then where is the reasoning that it actually isn't? There is no federal law or amendment that they can point to and say that states legalizing abortion are superceding federal law.

They can't legalize the types of abortions banned under Gonzales v. Carhart. So if they want to make a clean argument that it should be up to the states, they should overturn that too.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies