Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:38:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 648 649 650 651 652 [653] 654 655 656 657 658 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 932272 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16300 on: October 15, 2022, 10:58:36 AM »
« edited: October 15, 2022, 11:03:31 AM by Storr »

Korkino is has a population of only 34,000 people. Notably it's the hometown of one of the very few Russian athletes to publicly speak out against Putin, New York Rangers NHL player Artemi Panarin.

The comments (I'm surprised they left the comments section open) are not great for Putin:

This one got more than 50 upvotes: "And this is only one meager military enlistment office[,] officially confirmed. And how many are already unconfirmed or missing - by 5 should be multiplied or by 10?
How long?!
And most importantly - for what?!"

Edit: This comment got 107 upvotes: "How did they die on their own, if they still have to undergo training for a month before being sent there?"

At some point (after 773 comments had been made...now it says there are only 771. I guess some of them are being deleted) the comments section was closed.
More mobilized killed, the Moscow Times article says 11 are known to have been killed so far:

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16301 on: October 15, 2022, 11:16:48 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2022, 11:26:28 AM by Torie »

As to the bit about a hopeless foreign war, I tend to agree with that more and more. It is increasingly appears that way - for Putin and the Russians he is victimizing almost as much as he is victimizing the Ukrainians.

What lawyer of draft age would want to stay in Russia now?  Yikes. An out of shape behind the desk type, is grabbed and with almost no training dumped on the front lines as a human shield to die.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #16302 on: October 15, 2022, 11:19:10 AM »

Pretend libertarian has “no investment in” the defense of freedom. Many such cases. Sad!
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16303 on: October 15, 2022, 11:58:40 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2022, 12:05:03 PM by Hindsight was 2020 »

The comments are brutal. More money taken away from American taxpayers for a hopeless foreign war they have no investment in.
Shove it troll
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #16304 on: October 15, 2022, 12:22:21 PM »

Pretty sure the deadline should be Nov 8th which is USA midterm election day.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #16305 on: October 15, 2022, 12:41:23 PM »

The comments are brutal. More money taken away from American taxpayers for a hopeless foreign war they have no investment in.

Okay traitor.
citizenZ
citizenq
United States

« Reply #16306 on: October 15, 2022, 12:43:55 PM »

Okay traitor.

How is an American a traitor in a war that doesn't involve America? That's like calling a Wisconsin House voter a traitor in a Georgia Senate election.
LostInOhio
United States
« Reply #16307 on: October 15, 2022, 12:52:26 PM »

Okay traitor.

This isn’t helpful in any way. It almost reminds me of how people were post-9/11 if you questioned Bush’s actions at all. For months we have been sending money to Ukraine and I haven’t seen any results whatsoever. There is still a war and I see no signs Ukraine is even close to winning. Do we just keep sending them a blank check indefinitely? And would Ukraine support us if we truly needed them? Where is the cutoff here and why?

To be clear I am not defending Russia’s actions in any way, that would be ridiculous. But we need to move toward peace in some way; this isn’t sustainable in the long term and could drag out for years.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #16308 on: October 15, 2022, 12:57:22 PM »

Okay traitor.

How is an American a traitor in a war that doesn't involve America? That's like calling a Wisconsin House voter a traitor in a Georgia Senate election.

Putin and Russia are enemies of America and of the west.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #16309 on: October 15, 2022, 12:59:37 PM »

Okay traitor.

This isn’t helpful in any way. It almost reminds me of how people were post-9/11 if you questioned Bush’s actions at all. For months we have been sending money to Ukraine and I haven’t seen any results whatsoever. There is still a war and I see no signs Ukraine is even close to winning. Do we just keep sending them a blank check indefinitely? And would Ukraine support us if we truly needed them? Where is the cutoff here and why?

To be clear I am not defending Russia’s actions in any way, that would be ridiculous. But we need to move toward peace in some way; this isn’t sustainable in the long term and could drag out for years.

You have not seen any results? Maybe you should be paying more attention. Ukraine is winning the war in the east and the south. Something that would not be happening without the support from America and it's allies.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #16310 on: October 15, 2022, 01:24:42 PM »

Keep the Q troll on ignore yall, it will improve your experience here so much.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #16311 on: October 15, 2022, 01:40:36 PM »

Okay traitor.

even if it drags out for years, that means the russkies are fighting over there and not at America's shores.

that's y its important to help the forces of global democracy over there fight Axis of Evil regimes before they get out of control and can do even more damage and threaten the entire world rather than just their region.

If the west had toppled Hitler in 1933 many millions would have survived who instead died due to appeasement that allowed the forces of evil time to gain strength.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16312 on: October 15, 2022, 01:50:10 PM »

If true, this would be a far smarter punishment for the milbloggers than the standard repression measures. “You think yourself a master strategist? Go, then!”
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16313 on: October 15, 2022, 01:56:39 PM »

If true, this would be a far smarter punishment for the milbloggers than the standard repression measures. “You think yourself a master strategist? Go, then!”
Refresh my memory here, what did Strelkov do?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16314 on: October 15, 2022, 02:05:06 PM »

Refresh my memory here, what did Strelkov do?

In the 2014 conflict, he was one of the main instigators (also “volunteered” in the Balkan wars) and shot down an airliner (for which he’s about to earn a life sentence in absentia). He might actually be an effective officer, unlike most of the milbloggers.

However, in the current conflict, he has mostly bitched on Telegram about poor strategy and the lack of mobilisation, and has accused Putin (at times) of living in “pink pony land”. He believes Ukraine isn’t real. He’s also suggested that Wagner isn’t trustworthy and publicly “advised” their leader by referring to a European general killed by his own mercenaries. Essentially, he’s criticised everyone except the LDPR gangs and demanded conscription as the panacea to all woes.

He’s made reference to his enjoyment of the Diablo game series in between his most recent screeds, just to remind everyone that he has his priorities in order.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16315 on: October 15, 2022, 02:10:23 PM »

I can't find any other media outlet mentioning the 50K number. I mean that number of troops in one spot trying to break the Russian line is just stunning. The war commentary typically does not mention the number of Ukrainian troops waging war, but the Russian number in total that were actually involved in all theaters including providing logistical support was what, 300K at most?

If that 50K number is real, this is it. This is the big push, and it is being done with overwhelming force, as if this not succeeding - right now - is not an option.

But as I say, I can't find a recycling of that utterly stunning number elsewhere.

Looks like some of these numbers are from Russian military on the ground in Kherson.

Doesn't necessarily make it true however. What we have seen Ukraine doing during the recent counter-offensives are being able to quickly shift resources back and forth between the Kharkiv sector and the Kherson sector.

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #16316 on: October 15, 2022, 02:12:03 PM »

It seriously boggles the mind how you can objectively look at Russia’s problems during this war and concluded that mobilization is some big game changer for them

The best way to look at it, realistically IMO, is that it doesn't change anything but simply allows Russia to lose a little slower. That is because dragging untrained citizens out of their beds and off the streets, handing them a rusty AK and throwing them into a trench within the span of 72 hours doesn't actually provide any strategic value other than providing meaty speed bumps for Ukrainian APCs. Unfortunately, more time and more fighting also means more dead on both sides.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16317 on: October 15, 2022, 02:15:32 PM »

More Kerch Bridge issues...

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16318 on: October 15, 2022, 02:17:54 PM »

Looks like Russian  mobilized conscripts are unhappy...

LostInOhio
United States
« Reply #16319 on: October 15, 2022, 02:24:11 PM »

Okay traitor.

even if it drags out for years, that means the russkies are fighting over there and not at America's shores.

that's y its important to help the forces of global democracy over there fight Axis of Evil regimes before they get out of control and can do even more damage and threaten the entire world rather than just their region.

If the west had toppled Hitler in 1933 many millions would have survived who instead died due to appeasement that allowed the forces of evil time to gain strength.

I understand the logic here but Putin is hardly Adolf Hitler. Russia is a weak second-world country whose military has proven to be ill-equipped and unprepared for combat. it is hardly the type of army that Germany had in the 40s, and I doubt he could even defeat Poland at this point.

NATO is the red line. If he goes after any NATO country then I fully support military involvement, though Poland by itself would likely be able to take them for that matter. I feel for Ukraine, I truly do, but I don’t think Putin poses much of a threat for anyone else other than them.
Logical

« Reply #16320 on: October 15, 2022, 02:30:37 PM »

Most American weapon systems being sent to Ukraine are old or in process of being decommissioned. Sending them there actually saves you money as decommissioning isn't free. The only stuff that could be considered top of the line is HIMARS.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #16321 on: October 15, 2022, 02:42:56 PM »

Looks like Russian  mobilized conscripts are unhappy...

Wow, CIS so I'm guessing the shooters were probably from Central Asia:

Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16322 on: October 15, 2022, 03:23:49 PM »

So far the aid sent to Ukraine (~14 billion) has been less than 2% of the U.S. annual defense budget and less than 0.2% of the total annual budget.  While 14 billion sounds like a lot, its basically a rounding error in comparison to the sheers size of the US budget.  The U.S. could keep up the current level of investment pretty much indefinitely with negligible fiscal impact.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16323 on: October 15, 2022, 04:04:21 PM »

Gunmen kill at least 11 people in attack on Russian military recruits, Russia's state media reports

Two gunmen opened fire on Russian military recruits at a training ground in Russia’s Belgorod region, killing at least 11 people and wounding another 15, Russia’s state news agency TASS reports.

The attack happened Saturday during a training session at the Western Military District, according to TASS, which cited the Russian Defense Ministry. The gunmen were said to be from former Soviet states. Russian officials have branded the attack an act of terrorism.

According to TASS, two individuals who committed the “terrorist act” were killed in retaliatory fire at the training ground.

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-10-15-22?utm_term=1665867508573f5ac3d0b8bf8
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #16324 on: October 15, 2022, 04:12:37 PM »

Me seeing the new troll a few posts above

Pages: 1 ... 648 649 650 651 652 [653] 654 655 656 657 658 ... 1172  
« previous next »