Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 07:09:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 294 295 296 297 298 [299] 300 301 302 303 304 ... 1174
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 951440 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7450 on: March 17, 2022, 07:09:49 AM »

Between this and the whole encouraging patent theft i can't help but think that even if/when sanctions get lifted from Russia. Companies may be more careful in the future about doing business in Russia now.

Russia is seizing hundreds of commercial jets owned by US and European leasing companies, a further sign of the challenges the country's airline industry faces due to sanctions following its invasion of Ukraine.

President Vladimir Putin signed a law Monday as part of the government's anti-sanction measures that will allow Russian airlines to register planes leased from foreign companies in Russia, where they will be issued local certificates of airworthiness, according to a statement from the Kremlin.

The bill will make it possible for Russian airlines to keep their foreign leased aircraft and operate the planes on domestic routes, while making it harder for foreign companies to reclaim their jets without Russian government approval.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/03/16/business/russia-aircraft-seizure/index.html

Yikes. Note to self. Don't take a domestic flight in Russia. The planes may be my coffin. Russia can't  make the spare parts, and will have to cannibalize planes for parts. Back to the Siberian express for travel just like in the movie. One would have thought Putin would have made Russia self sufficient in planes.
ugabug
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -4.35

« Reply #7451 on: March 17, 2022, 07:11:31 AM »

TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7452 on: March 17, 2022, 07:14:59 AM »

I expected more Poles, given the strength of feeling in the diaspora.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #7453 on: March 17, 2022, 07:25:05 AM »

Also, I am not the 'Oryx' who is nicely posting military updates on twitter btw.

This is effing excellent. I hope most literal kidnapping criminals posing as real soldiers who Committed this war crime kidnapping him all died a very gory and painful death.

These were not some poor conscripts who have nothing to do with Putin or his foreign policy, but special forces with the ugliest reputation in the world.. H*** is just a little bit Fuller with their deaths

It was a prisoner swap - the Russians got back nine men in exchange.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7454 on: March 17, 2022, 07:27:42 AM »
« Edited: March 17, 2022, 07:55:43 AM by CumbrianLefty »

Zelenskyy advisor Alexander Rodnyansky was in a German TV talkshow tonight and he said that Putin isn't actually interested in a negotiated peace, but the purpose of the talks is to buy time for Russia to get their military organized again.
I've read that another Ukrainian concern is that even if a full peace agreement was reached, Putin would simply rebuild and improve the military, preparing for another invasion.

Yes, but in reality just repeating this won't be that simple. Especially since the public insistence both at home and to abroad, until almost literally the last minute, was that there would be no invasion.

Plus any settlement short of his original "maximalist" goals is surely going to hurt Putin's position.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7455 on: March 17, 2022, 07:35:02 AM »

Totally unsurprising, but I'm gonna post it anyway for the record.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7456 on: March 17, 2022, 07:50:18 AM »

What a great article you put up there. It's so well written. Riveting. Thanks so much for putting it up. I could tell that Zelensky had an athletic body but I had no idea how athletic until I saw him dance. Wow. I want him. How do I get him to swing my way?  Angel
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #7457 on: March 17, 2022, 08:34:19 AM »

I expected more Poles, given the strength of feeling in the diaspora.

Normally, it is illegal for Australian's to leave our country and fight foreign wars (mainly ISIS weirdos) but the Australian Govt is considering reviewing that for Ukrainian fighters.
ugabug
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7458 on: March 17, 2022, 08:34:54 AM »

You've all heard of Major Generals being killed well now a full General has been arrested.

compucomp

« Reply #7459 on: March 17, 2022, 08:37:00 AM »

The Case Of Russia's Apparently Back From The Dead Black Sea Warship

Tl;dr the rocket barrage against the Vasily Bykov mentioned a few days ago most likely didn't work. Ukraine was right to request anti-ship missiles.

The real takeaway from this article is that many Ukrainian reports of casualties, battlefield victories, etc, are exaggerated or outright fake news. Another example is how the former mayor of Melitopol was supposedly rescued in a Ukrainian "special operation" but then it was revealed that he was released in a prisoner swap. Now I don't begrudge the Ukrainians for this, they are at war, they are supposed to release propaganda in their favor and say that they have suffered zero casualties while inflicting infinity on the enemy. But there is no reason for us external observers to believe in these reports as many of this thread seem to do. I imagine most thinking Ukrainians don't even believe in the reports but are obliged to stay in line because they are Ukrainian.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7460 on: March 17, 2022, 08:54:20 AM »

Hmmm....

ugabug
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7461 on: March 17, 2022, 09:26:32 AM »

It seems like there were some survivors from the Mariupol theater that was bombed.

Authorities in the besieged southern Ukrainian city of Mariupol are clearing the rubble of a theatre hit by a Russian airstrike to search for people who had been sheltering in the basement.

According to local officials, hundreds of people were hiding beneath the theatre, which was designated as a shelter for displaced civilians, including children and elderly people, when it was struck on Wednesday.

The shelter withstood the strike and some people managed to escape, said the former governor of the Donetsk region, Sergiy Taruta, who did not provide details.

Pavlo Kyrylenko, the head of the Donetsk regional administration, said on Telegram that the number of casualties was unclear.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/17/mariupol-theatre-ukraine-civilians-russia-war
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7462 on: March 17, 2022, 09:42:01 AM »

Tl;dr the rocket barrage against the Vasily Bykov mentioned a few days ago most likely didn't work. Ukraine was right to request anti-ship missiles.

The real takeaway from this article is that many Ukrainian reports of casualties, battlefield victories, etc, are exaggerated or outright fake news

The real takeaway from your posts is that you are the most craven and embarrassing pro-Russia shill.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7463 on: March 17, 2022, 09:52:29 AM »

The real takeaway from this article is that many Ukrainian reports of casualties, battlefield victories, etc, are exaggerated or outright fake news

The real takeaway from your posts is that you are the most craven and embarrassing pro-Russia shill.
He may be, but his point is still right. Ukraine as a nation being invaded has an incentive to exaggerate to keep morale high. I support it, but you have to then take that likely bias into account when interpreting the situation on the ground.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7464 on: March 17, 2022, 09:53:58 AM »

https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-general-killed-after-ukraine-intercepted-unsecured-call-nyt-2022-3

This is hilarious. The Russians are literally using less secure communication than your typical street gang.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7465 on: March 17, 2022, 10:03:10 AM »
« Edited: March 17, 2022, 10:36:15 AM by Torie »

Meanwhile... totally get it that the overwhelming majority of y'all don't like me, don't agree with my posts, and basically have me on virtual ignore, not planning on shutting up quite yet (Regardless of whomever the narc was who snitched me out last night... Karma will beat your Dogma any hour of any day of any week).
What gives you that impression?

It's okay.

I know what I did and accept responsibility for my actions and will attempt to "shut up" to the best of my abilities.

Not about me on this thread, although in the almost 50 years of my life in all sorts of IRL experiences never ever been a snitch or a narc, so let that lay on the moral consciousness of whomever went down that route.

Can't discuss this topic any more within this venue, but as it is suspect have been wasting way too many hours of my life providing reports from various media outlets, rather than shifting my energy elsewhere on broader Social Media outlets.

Will continue to lurk and occasionally provide updates, but don't really expect much in the way of actual written word content anymore except within extremely condensed content, which effectively for substantive content is the equivalent of neutering a male cat.

I for one very much appreciate your posts, and my honest impression is that most posters here do. You can't please everyone, particularly when you have a strong opinion on a matter as to which a few strongly disagree. Not that it matters really, but the number of posters who think Putin was even remotely justified in what he did you can count on the fingers of one hand without using all of such fingers. Myself I don't pay much attention to what the shills opine. I am more interested in any event in obtaining actual facts and news from this thread, and not whether or not Putin is going to hell or not. I have already made up my mind on that issue, and do not wish to debate the matter, or argue about it, so I don't respond to the shills on that point.

I do appreciate that the Ukraine story is so riveting that it does deflect one from the more mundane tasks that one needs to do in one's daily life.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7466 on: March 17, 2022, 10:18:43 AM »
« Edited: March 17, 2022, 10:57:23 AM by CumbrianLefty »

He may be, but his point is still right. Ukraine as a nation being invaded has an incentive to exaggerate to keep morale high. I support it, but you have to then take that likely bias into account when interpreting the situation on the ground.

Sure, but saying that always happens - and even that almost all their claims are made up - makes the actual lack of Russian progress even harder to explain. Exaggeration is usually not invention.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7467 on: March 17, 2022, 10:21:54 AM »

Between this and the whole encouraging patent theft i can't help but think that even if/when sanctions get lifted from Russia. Companies may be more careful in the future about doing business in Russia now.

Russia is seizing hundreds of commercial jets owned by US and European leasing companies, a further sign of the challenges the country's airline industry faces due to sanctions following its invasion of Ukraine.

President Vladimir Putin signed a law Monday as part of the government's anti-sanction measures that will allow Russian airlines to register planes leased from foreign companies in Russia, where they will be issued local certificates of airworthiness, according to a statement from the Kremlin.

The bill will make it possible for Russian airlines to keep their foreign leased aircraft and operate the planes on domestic routes, while making it harder for foreign companies to reclaim their jets without Russian government approval.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/03/16/business/russia-aircraft-seizure/index.html

Oh, definitely. And add on the  The fact that the Russian stock market has been closed down For Over 3 weeks now, and the Government seriously considered and hasn't even yet ruled out nationalizing out nationalizing foreign businesses that stopped production there, I can't comprehend how Foreign investment in Russia doesn't Get completely decimated for the next several years at least assuming Putin remains in power. I think it's going to take a change of leadership to a very 2nd coming of glasnost/parastroika  Before Western companies start even very cautiously dipping their toes in again.

Would anyone disagree? This is one time I would actually like Jaichind's input.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7468 on: March 17, 2022, 10:25:17 AM »
« Edited: March 17, 2022, 10:48:49 AM by Badger »

Also, I am not the 'Oryx' who is nicely posting military updates on twitter btw.

This is effing excellent. I hope most literal kidnapping criminals posing as real soldiers who Committed this war crime kidnapping him all died a very gory and painful death.

These were not some poor conscripts who have nothing to do with Putin or his foreign policy, but special forces with the ugliest reputation in the world.. H*** is just a little bit Fuller with their deaths

It was a prisoner swap - the Russians got back nine men in exchange.

:Sad

Oh well, at least the Mayor is safe. Bad precident though
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7469 on: March 17, 2022, 10:29:30 AM »
« Edited: March 17, 2022, 10:33:26 AM by Badger »

The real takeaway from this article is that many Ukrainian reports of casualties, battlefield victories, etc, are exaggerated or outright fake news.

That  is not the point of the article at all.  It explicitly was limited was limited to saying that the reported sinking of a Russian vessel, which was reported as "probably" sunk, apparently was only damaged. There's nothing whatsoever in there about all the other reports of large amounts of Russian troop and equipment losses being over-reported.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7470 on: March 17, 2022, 10:32:42 AM »

This is so abhorrent. War crimes.

Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7471 on: March 17, 2022, 10:45:53 AM »

The real takeaway from this article is that many Ukrainian reports of casualties, battlefield victories, etc, are exaggerated or outright fake news.

That  is not the point of the article at all.  It explicitly was limited was limited to saying that the reported sinking of a Russian vessel, which was reported as "probably" sunk, apparently was only damaged. There's nothing whatsoever in there about all the other reports of large amounts of Russian troop and equipment losses being over-reported.
It's very difficult to sink warships with land-based artillery because it's hard to get a direct hit with an armor-piercing shell, usually at long distance, and more importantly, ships can usually sail around them or bombard them from a distance with bigger guns, missiles, or airstrikes, which is why you don't see coastal defense artillery anymore. The fact that they even got a hit on the Vasily Bykov is pretty impressive.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7472 on: March 17, 2022, 10:52:01 AM »

It's very difficult to sink warships with land-based artillery because it's hard to get a direct hit with an armor-piercing shell, usually at long distance, and more importantly, ships can usually sail around them or bombard them from a distance with bigger guns, missiles, or airstrikes, which is why you don't see coastal defense artillery anymore. The fact that they even got a hit on the Vasily Bykov is pretty impressive.

Oh, absolutely agreed my friend. The point of my post was the entire article focused on the fact that the warship was hit but probably not sunk as originallythought was likelythe case, but didn't mention anything about all the other well documented heavy Russian troop and equipment losses being being mere Ukrainian Propaganda As compucomp claimed.
compucomp

« Reply #7473 on: March 17, 2022, 10:52:42 AM »

Around a week ago this thread breathlessly celebrated as they accepted without question the Ukrainian report of supposed ambush that destroyed the Vasily Bykov. Turns out that report was fake news. Given the obvious interest the Ukrainian government and media has in putting out favorable reports regardless of veracity, and now multiple documented cases where these reports have proven to be fake, how can any thinking person trust the reports coming out of Ukrainian sources? If you tell me one lie, then everything else you say is questionable too, that's how society has always worked. Clearly people in this thread are more interested in cheerleading for Ukraine than getting at the truth, which is their right, but they are bound to be disappointed if/when the two stray far from each other.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7474 on: March 17, 2022, 11:02:33 AM »

Around a week ago this thread breathlessly celebrated as they accepted without question the Ukrainian report of supposed ambush that destroyed the Vasily Bykov. Turns out that report was fake news. Given the obvious interest the Ukrainian government and media has in putting out favorable reports regardless of veracity, and now multiple documented cases where these reports have proven to be fake, how can any thinking person trust the reports coming out of Ukrainian sources? If you tell me one lie, then everything else you say is questionable too, that's how society has always worked. Clearly people in this thread are more interested in cheerleading for Ukraine than getting at the truth, which is their right, but they are bound to be disappointed if/when the two stray far from each other.

I never "accepted" that.
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 296 297 298 [299] 300 301 302 303 304 ... 1174  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies