DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 03:44:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 132 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 274727 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3150 on: January 08, 2021, 01:15:31 PM »

Massive convoy of police cars and other emergency personnel passed my apartment complex a little while ago. They were headed in the general direction of Capitol Hill. 

To everyone who lives in DC and area: please stay safe tonight!  Appreciate the first hand reports.  I have been jumping back to this thread for over a day now and it has been great.

I don't think the severity of this terrorist attack sunk in right away.  Every network was jammed yesterday.  I went and grabbed a newspaper today, and there was an entire section dedicated to this.  I will file it in with the 9/11, Y2K, the JFK assassination, and orher newspapers that my family has collected over the years.

To everyone being mean or generalizing all 74 million Americans who voted for this guy,  please show compassion.  These terrorists are/were radicals, not ordinary folks.  Much like all the trouble in the summer with the riots in Minneapolis and Kenosha, or the Charlottesville rally and terrorist attack in 2017.  If anything, these events show us the true dangers of extremist ideologies and internet echo chambers.  Right wing terrorism appears to be a big threat now.  Be kind to your neighbors, family, and friends... and even strangers on the internet.  People got duped by a conman, and if they believed the election fraud nonsense, they're rightfully upset right now.  Biden's unity message has a certain panche to it that really resonates well with me.  His speech yesterday was beautiful.
Good post. I agree completely.

After everything the district was put through yesterday, it has to become a state.

Why?  Pretty much everything that happened, happened in the parts that would've  not been part of the proposed Douglas Commonwealth. I really don't see how what happened would have played out differently in any significant manner had Douglas Commonwealth been a thing.

There was about an hour delay between Bowser's request to the DoD for National Guard and its authorization, and it was denied multiple times on Trump's orders. Hogan and Northam tried to send forces but they were also refused while the Capitol was still in danger. If the Douglass Commonwealth was independent, the Governor/Mayor would be able to unilaterally send in the protection needed.

How would the Governor/Mayor of Douglas Commonwealth be able to unilaterally do what Governors of Virginia and Maryland were unable to do?  Under the current Statehood proposal, the Capitol would not be part of Douglas Commonwealth.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3151 on: January 08, 2021, 01:25:05 PM »

They can be impeached and convicted, just like any member of the judicial or executive branches. Indeed, most impeachment proceedings have been against judges, with Justice Chase impeached but not convicted in 1804. That said, I can't see Thomas being impeached, let alone convicted, based on his wife's tweet.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3152 on: January 08, 2021, 01:28:36 PM »

As if he planned on going anyway unless the coup had succeeded and overturned the election.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3153 on: January 08, 2021, 01:34:10 PM »

Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3154 on: January 08, 2021, 01:34:21 PM »

Lock them all up
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3155 on: January 08, 2021, 01:34:46 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3156 on: January 08, 2021, 02:03:06 PM »

Paging Rush Limbaugh, etc.:

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3157 on: January 08, 2021, 02:04:48 PM »

Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3158 on: January 08, 2021, 02:12:25 PM »

Unlawful entry?
How about Seditious Conspiracy?

If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3159 on: January 08, 2021, 02:20:02 PM »

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3160 on: January 08, 2021, 02:21:47 PM »

The title is a bit misleading, since I think this is before the main events of the day, but still. Great optics.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3161 on: January 08, 2021, 02:22:02 PM »

"Trump, Don Jr. and Rudy are guilty of insurrection, they should be arrested, [...] they should be booked and send to jail if we're a nation laws" - I couldn't phrase it better how Joe Scarborough said it on air today. He also said the video Trump posted today was nothing but a script written by desperate staffers who saw the world crumbling around Trump.

100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #3162 on: January 08, 2021, 02:44:02 PM »

At this point, Biden's DOJ/FBI should consider putting every remaining Trump supporter on a terrorist watch list. 

That is absurdly hyperbolic.  Even if many partisan Republicans are no longer really supporting Trump, there are still tens if millions of Trump supporters, most of whom are pretty normal people.  Rhetoric like this is only fanning the flames and making things worse.

I agree. lumping all Trump supporters with the crazies who stormed the capitol is dangerous and wrong. A future Republican president could easily criminalize all of Biden's supporters as Antifa sympathizers.

Oh, two Trump sympathizers don't agree?  don't care.  

I think Trump was a bad president and yet I don't hate every person who supported him.

Ask yourself this:

1) do you support the insurrection he stirred?  It was clearly planned as they stormed state capitals at the same time?

2) If you answered no, you don't support a coup, then do you still support the figurehead who instigated the coup?

3) If you answered no, then why would you oppose putting coup sympathizers/remaining Trump supporters on a watch list?  I am not saying they should be arrested but people who pronounce support for Trump and what he's done after this are clearly dangers to society.

That's a massive leap from #2 to #3.  You do realize that the average American does not pay attention to politics and current events in the way people here do, right?

For the record, I don't really consider myself a Trump supporter anymore, but it's not fair at all to paint millions of people with that broad of a brush.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3163 on: January 08, 2021, 02:45:38 PM »

I thought I couldn't get any more disgusted with the Trumps than I already was.  These sickos need to be exiled from the U.S. permanently.

The entire trump family makes me want to vomit. I fear Barron is going to go down the same shameful path as the rest of them.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3164 on: January 08, 2021, 02:46:32 PM »

The title is a bit misleading, since I think this is before the main events of the day, but still. Great optics.

Can’t stop thinking about the way he says “Kimberleh” at the beginning like he’s a FilmCow character.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3165 on: January 08, 2021, 02:47:29 PM »

rosin
Rookie
Denmark

« Reply #3166 on: January 08, 2021, 02:48:16 PM »

The fact that Trump has not tweeted a message of sympathy and condemnation for the killing of Sicknick is the most disgusting thing he has ever done. He literally does not care his supporter beat a cop to death, despite his constant professions of support for the police.

That's because Trump has long been very hesitant to ever condemn any of his supporters in any meaningful way. His "support" for the police is paper-thin, like his support and loyalty for everything else except himself. It only exists so long as it serves his own interests.

Maybe it is for the better that Trump hasn't tweeted a message of "sympathy" - in such one he could easily go out a tangent and end up complaining that Sicknick made problems because was standing in the way of these "Very Fine People".Sad
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3167 on: January 08, 2021, 02:50:55 PM »

Can’t stop thinking about the way he says “Kimberleh” at the beginning like he’s a FilmCow character.
Off topic, does anyone else get an Anne Veal vibe from Kimberly?
Like she’s been contacted to all these high profile men, and I’m just like ‘her?’.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3168 on: January 08, 2021, 02:52:30 PM »

At this point, Biden's DOJ/FBI should consider putting every remaining Trump supporter on a terrorist watch list. 

That is absurdly hyperbolic.  Even if many partisan Republicans are no longer really supporting Trump, there are still tens if millions of Trump supporters, most of whom are pretty normal people.  Rhetoric like this is only fanning the flames and making things worse.

I agree. lumping all Trump supporters with the crazies who stormed the capitol is dangerous and wrong. A future Republican president could easily criminalize all of Biden's supporters as Antifa sympathizers.

No, no one could not. Antifa despises the Democratic party, I'm included, as much as they do Trump and the Republicans. Trump's supporters meanwhile have cuddled and condoned Trump despite every single day of The Last 5 Years demonstrating loud and clear in our faces his fundamental in complete emotional, mental, and moral stability ever be even considered as president of the United States.

Come on people. It's not like what happened yesterday given everything about Trump was remotely a surprise. His voters can't begin to claim this was unforeseeable. Well, other than to the Capitol police force, of course.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3169 on: January 08, 2021, 02:55:14 PM »

Is there a list of all the GOPers who sustained these challenges?
I need to know so I can start donating to their opponents/galvanizing people.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3170 on: January 08, 2021, 02:57:54 PM »

F**k.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3171 on: January 08, 2021, 03:00:18 PM »

No, no one could not. Antifa despises the Democratic party, I'm included, as much as they do Trump and the Republicans. Trump's supporters meanwhile have cuddled and condoned Trump despite every single day of The Last 5 Years demonstrating loud and clear in our faces his fundamental in complete emotional, mental, and moral stability ever be even considered as president of the United States.

Come on people. It's not like what happened yesterday given everything about Trump was remotely a surprise. His voters can't begin to claim this was unforeseeable. Well, other than to the Capitol police force, of course.

Then should we blame all Black Lives Matter supporters for the rioting that happened last summer? If your answer is no, then why should we blame every Trump voter for the riots.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3172 on: January 08, 2021, 03:01:29 PM »

F**k.

Did you seriously think there would be?

The powerful look after the powerful.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3173 on: January 08, 2021, 03:03:53 PM »

So the other dude in the pelts was a son of a Brooklyn Judge:

https://gothamist.com/news/trump-fur-ever-costumed-capitol-rioter-son-brooklyn-supreme-court-judge

The woman shot owned a pool supply business, we’ve had CEO of regional firms, business owners, and professionals caught out as members of the mob, Andy Harris, the numb nuts congressmen that got into a first fight in floor was an anesthesiologist.

These people are Muscadins not San-culottes no matter how much some is trying to make them the enraged voice of the white working class, the great mass of these people are from the relatively privileged classes.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3174 on: January 08, 2021, 03:08:36 PM »

Is there a list of all the GOPers who sustained these challenges?
I need to know so I can start donating to their opponents/galvanizing people.

https://www.vox.com/2021/1/6/22218058/republicans-objections-election-results
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 132 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies