DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:17:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 276292 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3125 on: January 08, 2021, 10:57:52 AM »

Good. Traitors aren't welcome anyway.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3126 on: January 08, 2021, 10:57:59 AM »

Good. Eat sh-t.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3127 on: January 08, 2021, 10:58:39 AM »

Good. Traitors aren't welcome anyway.

Pence being there and Trump not is my preferred outcome at this point, yeah. Better yet if Pence is there as the outgoing President.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3128 on: January 08, 2021, 11:00:28 AM »

Thomas must disavow and cut ties with his revolting wife or be impeached.

He won't be though.  McConnell cares too much about Judges.  Lets be clear, the only reason that Republicans (most of them) are now coming out against Trump is because he's politically toxic and they've made the calculus that they will get more power without him than with him going forward.  Especially now that he lost re-election and they lost the Senate.  Judges are lifetime appointments and they don't want to give up that power.  That's why Democrats need to just pack the Court and dilute GOP power there.  The SCOTUS is the most out of touch with society it's ever been in the last 100 years.

This. If Trump wasn't already a lame duck with less than two weeks left, almost every one of these Republican Profiles in Courage would be calling on him to unify the nation and make a statement, not resign.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3129 on: January 08, 2021, 11:03:05 AM »

"To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January 20th." is probably Trump's way of saying "a landslide victory was stolen from me but I can't say that anymore because Twitter would permaban me otherwise."
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #3130 on: January 08, 2021, 11:09:29 AM »

Do you suppose that's because he will be cheerleading from the sidelines when the QAnon fraction of the US armed services will try to stop the inauguration themselves?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #3131 on: January 08, 2021, 11:11:14 AM »

"To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January 20th." is probably Trump's way of saying "a landslide victory was stolen from me but I can't say that anymore because Twitter would permaban me otherwise."

"I won't be attending the inauguration because there won't be an inauguration."
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #3132 on: January 08, 2021, 11:39:13 AM »

At this point, Biden's DOJ/FBI should consider putting every remaining Trump supporter on a terrorist watch list. 

That is absurdly hyperbolic.  Even if many partisan Republicans are no longer really supporting Trump, there are still tens if millions of Trump supporters, most of whom are pretty normal people.  Rhetoric like this is only fanning the flames and making things worse.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3133 on: January 08, 2021, 11:41:52 AM »

At this point, Biden's DOJ/FBI should consider putting every remaining Trump supporter on a terrorist watch list. 

That is absurdly hyperbolic.  Even if many partisan Republicans are no longer really supporting Trump, there are still tens if millions of Trump supporters, most of whom are pretty normal people.  Rhetoric like this is only fanning the flames and making things worse.

Not to mention that such an unprecedented move would be blatantly unconstitutional.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3134 on: January 08, 2021, 11:45:08 AM »

Biden needs to allude to this in his inaugural address a lot.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3135 on: January 08, 2021, 11:52:59 AM »

Do you suppose that's because he will be cheerleading from the sidelines when the QAnon fraction of the US armed services will try to stop the inauguration themselves?

That, I think, would be reading too much into it, especially since disrupting the inauguration ceremonies short of actually killing Biden would have no legal effect.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3136 on: January 08, 2021, 11:54:40 AM »

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #3137 on: January 08, 2021, 11:55:29 AM »

Him having the nuclear codes was my main concern from the minute he was elected.
compucomp

« Reply #3138 on: January 08, 2021, 11:59:04 AM »

I suspect one of these "precautions" is a real military coup. Only it would be exactly the opposite of the coup Trump wanted.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3139 on: January 08, 2021, 12:03:10 PM »

I agree. lumping all Trump supporters with the crazies who stormed the capitol is dangerous and wrong. A future Republican president could easily criminalize all of Biden's supporters as Antifa sympathizers.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #3140 on: January 08, 2021, 12:06:12 PM »

They should consider it and then not implement it.  That’s a surefire way of tearing the country apart.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #3141 on: January 08, 2021, 12:19:22 PM »

That, I think, would be reading too much into it, especially since disrupting the inauguration ceremonies short of actually killing Biden would have no legal effect.

You see, I have stopped thinking about Trump in any context of a traditional US chief executive, even Nixon and Buchanan. My reasoning:

The only reason Trump appeared to back down from the Jan 6 Event (before reverting to form when Twitter stupidly allowed him back, which is the reason why I realized this) was because he thought his insurrection would be more successful -- Pence throwing out electoral votes himself -- but instead, saw it fizzle before his own eyes.

It was his thought-up plan (he spent two months calling his supporters to the Capitol to carry it out) and it failed. And I since I recall something about Trump only backing winners, never backing losers, he wants his next attempt to stay in office to be convincing.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3142 on: January 08, 2021, 01:02:17 PM »

The fact that Trump has not tweeted a message of sympathy and condemnation for the killing of Sicknick is the most disgusting thing he has ever done. He literally does not care his supporter beat a cop to death, despite his constant professions of support for the police.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3143 on: January 08, 2021, 01:04:33 PM »

The fact that Trump has not tweeted a message of sympathy and condemnation for the killing of Sicknick is the most disgusting thing he has ever done. He literally does not care his supporter beat a cop to death, despite his constant professions of support for the police.

That's because Trump has long been very hesitant to ever condemn any of his supporters in any meaningful way. His "support" for the police is paper-thin, like his support and loyalty for everything else except himself. It only exists so long as it serves his own interests.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3144 on: January 08, 2021, 01:04:54 PM »

I agree. lumping all Trump supporters with the crazies who stormed the capitol is dangerous and wrong. A future Republican president could easily criminalize all of Biden's supporters as Antifa sympathizers.

Oh, two Trump sympathizers don't agree?  don't care.  
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3145 on: January 08, 2021, 01:06:09 PM »

Donald Trump lead the mob.
Supporting Trump is supporting the crazies.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3146 on: January 08, 2021, 01:08:17 PM »

I am sorry I even responded.  At this point, Trump supporters aren't even worthy of a response.  Trump's forces tried to overthrow our government.  You're either with Trump or you're with America.  And if you don't support America then it's not worth trying to change your mind.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3147 on: January 08, 2021, 01:09:11 PM »

I think Trump was a bad president and yet I don't hate every person who supported him.
Dr. Frankenstein
DoctorFrankenstein
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #3148 on: January 08, 2021, 01:13:04 PM »

Trump has been working the crowd ever since he decided to run for president. Everything he says has the sole purpose to advance his personal interests. He does not give a rat's arse about anybody else but himself.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3149 on: January 08, 2021, 01:13:19 PM »

I think Trump was a bad president and yet I don't hate every person who supported him.

Ask yourself this:

1) do you support the insurrection he stirred?  It was clearly planned as they stormed state capitals at the same time?

2) If you answered no, you don't support a coup, then do you still support the figurehead who instigated the coup?

3) If you answered no, then why would you oppose putting coup sympathizers/remaining Trump supporters on a watch list?  I am not saying they should be arrested but people who pronounce support for Trump and what he's done after this are clearly dangers to society.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies