DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:14:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 169 170 171 [172] 173 174 175 176 177 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 276223 times)
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4275 on: January 14, 2021, 03:18:09 PM »

I don't understand why members of the House need to be fined for refusing to walk through metal detectors.

Just deny entry.  Can they walk onto a plane without going thru one?

They are lawfully elected members of a national legislature, not customers conducting a transaction.

It also seems like a petty tyranny, which is why I asked about it. What conceivable safety benefit is there to scanning the bodies of every member?

I somewhat agree with this, but violence has happened on the House floor in the past between members. Given how crazy some of these new people are, I honestly wouldn't put it past them to lose their cool and start waving a gun around.

So members of Congress can be trusted to vote on every piece of legislation affecting the country, but not to refrain from shooting their colleagues?

And we're supposed to take this seriously as a threat because Boebert likes to showboat about gun laws and violence in the House was a thing before electricity?

I take the riot extremely seriously but unless there's a much stronger case for it that no one is discussing, this seems like obvious security theater and a form of it that betrays some deeply undemocratic instincts. It would be more honest if those making the argument were willing to acknowledge that.
We now have literal QAnon wackos in congress. With people as lunatic as that, there’s no telling what they might do. We are not talking about regular rational people here.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4276 on: January 14, 2021, 03:21:50 PM »

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #4277 on: January 14, 2021, 03:22:46 PM »

If true he needs to be expelled immediately.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #4278 on: January 14, 2021, 03:25:01 PM »

I don't understand why members of the House need to be fined for refusing to walk through metal detectors.

Just deny entry.  Can they walk onto a plane without going thru one?

They are lawfully elected members of a national legislature, not customers conducting a transaction.

It also seems like a petty tyranny, which is why I asked about it. What conceivable safety benefit is there to scanning the bodies of every member?

Sounds to me like a lot of republican politicians as well as posters on this forum have never held a real job before. Any American who works at a large plant, factory, shipping or sorting facility, warehouse, etc has to go through a metal detector, among other measures. I got through a metal detector and I'm scanned for a temperature check automatically as I scan my ID badge every day. I do realize that these are the kinds of working/middle class jobs that most republican politicians would never come into contact with at any point in their privileged, coddled lives, so I guess it's understandable.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4279 on: January 14, 2021, 03:25:39 PM »

I somewhat agree with this, but violence has happened on the House floor in the past between members. Given how crazy some of these new people are, I honestly wouldn't put it past them to lose their cool and start waving a gun around.

So members of Congress can be trusted to vote on every piece of legislation affecting the country, but not to refrain from shooting their colleagues?

And we're supposed to take this seriously as a threat because Boebert likes to showboat about gun laws and violence in the House was a thing before electricity?

I take the riot extremely seriously but unless there's a much stronger case for it that no one is discussing, this seems like obvious security theater and a form of it that betrays some deeply undemocratic instincts. It would be more honest if those making the argument were willing to acknowledge that.

30 Representatives attesting to the report of a fellow member of Congress breaching COVID restrictions by giving an unauthorized tour to suspicious visitors who ended up being associated with the storming a day before the storming seems like enough of a reasonable case to me.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4280 on: January 14, 2021, 03:27:13 PM »

So members of Congress can be trusted to vote on every piece of legislation affecting the country,

Usually.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4281 on: January 14, 2021, 03:28:09 PM »

We now have literal QAnon wackos in congress. With people as lunatic as that, there’s no telling what they might do. We are not talking about regular rational people here.

Why bother having Congress at all, with that attitude? Let's just dispense with the performance and let the security bureaucracy run the country without pretending that there are any real checks on it.

Why refuse to acknowledge the damage one percenters can do?  you act as if a metal detector is unreasonable tyranny.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4282 on: January 14, 2021, 03:30:54 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2021, 03:35:16 PM by Santander »

Sounds to me like a lot of republican politicians as well as posters on this forum have never held a real job before. Any American who works at a large plant, factory, shipping or sorting facility, warehouse, etc has to go through a metal detector, among other measures. I got through a metal detector and I'm scanned for a temperature check automatically as I scan my ID badge every day. I do realize that these are the kinds of working/middle class jobs that most republican politicians would never come into contact with at any point in their privileged, coddled lives, so I guess it's understandable.

lol, I've been to plenty of large manufacturing facilities and never once had to go through a metal detector.  (I suppose there may be security checks to prevent theft in some places, but the threat is outbound in that case, not inbound)

Members of Congress are not employees. They are the reason the Capitol buildings, and Capitol security, exist. It is a ridiculous waste of time, and pure petulance by Pelosi, to demand members go through a metal detector. Why not strip search them? A plastic explosive wouldn't set off a metal detector...

As Averroes said, if you can't trust them not to murder on the House floor, you can't trust them to write and vote on legislation, at which point you might as well abolish Congress altogether.
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #4283 on: January 14, 2021, 03:38:43 PM »

I didn't realize a harmless extra layer of security was such an infringement of one's freedom.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #4284 on: January 14, 2021, 03:42:07 PM »

lol, I've been to plenty of large manufacturing facilities and never once had to go through a metal detector.  (I suppose there may be security checks to prevent theft in some places, but the threat is outbound in that case, not inbound)

Members of Congress are not employees. They are the reason the Capitol buildings, and Capitol security, exist. It is a ridiculous waste of time, and pure petulance by Pelosi, to demand members go through a metal detector. Why not strip search them? A plastic explosive wouldn't set off a metal detector...

As Averroes said, if you can't trust them not to murder on the House floor, you can't trust them to write and vote on legislation, at which point you might as well abolish Congress altogether.

I don't trust them to do this either, though.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #4285 on: January 14, 2021, 03:42:23 PM »

Why bother having Congress at all, with that attitude? Let's just dispense with the performance and let the security bureaucracy run the country without pretending that there are any real checks on it.

Why refuse to acknowledge the damage one percenters can do?  you act as if a metal detector is unreasonable tyranny.

Takes me back to the ten minutes of explaining to LAX security that the underwire in my bra was setting off the metal detectors.  

Was a nice distraction from the suitcase of exotic lizards, though.  
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4286 on: January 14, 2021, 03:43:40 PM »

Imagine coming to her as a student who needs counseling and therapy.

How the hell did she even get her job, in the first place?
Do school districts not do thorough background checks?
What a loon.

She may not have been a Qultist when she was a school counselor and therapist.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4287 on: January 14, 2021, 03:44:45 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2021, 03:48:25 PM by Hammy »

I didn't realize a harmless extra layer of security was such an infringement of one's freedom.

Remember when the entire Republican thing was "only wrongdoers need to be afraid of security measures and your freedoms don't matter?" Which they still push when they're not on the receiving end.

There are literally standards required for every single job in the country, and there should be for elected officials. By your logic we should just abolish all jobs, let any rando perform surgery, connect your electric, handle your banking , etc rather than stop crazies who don't follow protocol from doing them.

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4288 on: January 14, 2021, 03:48:28 PM »

Looks like Good interpreted "representing Charlottesville" a little differently than he should have.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4289 on: January 14, 2021, 03:48:36 PM »

I don't trust them to do this either, though.
I'm happy to see you've joined the ranks of libertarian divine right monarchists. Smiley We allow ourselves to be bicoastal liberal elitists once in a while to attend cocktail parties.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4290 on: January 14, 2021, 03:51:36 PM »

If Santander shows up at my workplace he goes thru a metal detector.  That's a good thing.  He can have his weapons back when he leaves. 
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4291 on: January 14, 2021, 03:53:26 PM »

Takes me back to the ten minutes of explaining to LAX security that the underwire in my bra was setting off the metal detectors.  

So you're good on flying without TSA?
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #4292 on: January 14, 2021, 03:54:41 PM »

Oh of course not, that was just one particularly aggravating experience -- lead TSA guy was on a power trip. 
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4293 on: January 14, 2021, 03:57:20 PM »

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4294 on: January 14, 2021, 03:58:25 PM »

I have liberal Twitter fanatics jumping all over me for making a TSA joke last week since I am insufficiently supporting the great work the TSA people do to keep us safe. Seeing the New Left openly mock anyone who doesn't full-on embrace any security measure makes me feel like I am living in bizarro world. Completely incompatible with the first half of my political existence.

It's not an issue where I personally care all that much. The reversal in passions is all the more amusing as a neutral. Another thing where Chapo is more right than not though: the amount spent per life saved shows a complete misallocation of resources. I will never quite understand how people these days are so terrified of death. No amount is too much to prevent that fifth standard deviation event...
Yoda
United States

« Reply #4295 on: January 14, 2021, 03:59:53 PM »

I keep seeing you make this....uh.....let's call it a 'claim', and it's gotten no less ridiculous/incorrect no matter how many times you repeat it.

They are paid by the federal government. They receive a pension from the federal government. They receive health insurance from the federal government. The fact that they are elected does not mean they are not employees. They work for their constituents; they are paid by their constituents' taxes. On the "employment history" section of their resumes when they leave Congress I bet you they list their time as lawmakers. If you do "work", and you are "paid by someone else", you're an employee. Yours is an asinine line of argument, and repeating it incessantly does not make it true.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4296 on: January 14, 2021, 04:04:07 PM »

Oh of course not, that was just one particularly aggravating experience -- lead TSA guy was on a power trip. 

They once drove my girlfriend to tears over her moisturizing cream at Sky Harbor. Threatened to write my congressman about it but he is an idiot.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #4297 on: January 14, 2021, 04:05:49 PM »

This is the excuse for all security theater.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4298 on: January 14, 2021, 04:09:05 PM »

If I could try to tightrope walk my not-fully-formed opinion on this, if we are asked to go through TSA to get on planes and we are asking school students to go through metal detectors to get into school, it's only reasonable we also ask this of congresspeople going to work in a known high-risk location. We already let them drive without traffic, pay them generously with exceptional benefits, and pay for their own safety in a building that we also pay for. If congress doesn't have any of the inconveniences that most Americans have, how can we trust them to actually understand what we need them to do?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #4299 on: January 14, 2021, 04:10:29 PM »

If I could try to tightrope walk my not-fully-formed opinion on this, if we are asked to go through TSA to get on planes and we are asking school students to go through metal detectors to get into school, it's only reasonable we also ask this of congresspeople going to work in a known high-risk location. We already let them drive without traffic, pay them generously with exceptional benefits, and pay for their own safety in a building that we also pay for. If congress doesn't have any of the inconveniences that most Americans have, how can we trust them to actually understand what we need them to do?

The obvious response is that none of that is reasonable, and I don't think that resigned acceptance of the security state is justification for actively forcing more of it.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 169 170 171 [172] 173 174 175 176 177 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies