PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:37:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 171 172 173 [174] 175 176 177 178 179 ... 244
Author Topic: PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz  (Read 289959 times)
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4325 on: October 05, 2022, 08:43:25 AM »

It’s weird to me that the Hershel Walker abortion story is getting wall-to-wall coverage on MSNBC right now, but I’ve seen no mention of the Oz dog-murder story.  Why is that?
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #4326 on: October 05, 2022, 09:07:56 AM »

It’s weird to me that the Hershel Walker abortion story is getting wall-to-wall coverage on MSNBC right now, but I’ve seen no mention of the Oz dog-murder story.  Why is that?

The media establishment wants Fetterman to lose because he is a true progressive who defeated their moderate darling Conor Lamb in the primary. The media is also sympathetic to Dr. Oz as he is a TV personality, the fact that he is a long time scam artist who has ruined lives seems less important.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4327 on: October 05, 2022, 10:07:13 AM »
« Edited: October 05, 2022, 10:13:37 AM by MAGA Maggie's Masshole Wall »

I don't necessarily buy the "Dems are knifing Fetterman" narrative. I think they just got too overconfident with the race and took their foot off the gas. The caucus likes Fetterman! Peters and Stabenow all but endorsed him in the primary, and the only one really willing to go to bat for Lamb was Manchin.

I'm not really sure why the Oz story isn't getting more play there either. I guess abortion outrage brings in more views?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4328 on: October 05, 2022, 10:17:17 AM »

I don't necessarily buy the "Dems are knifing Fetterman" narrative. I think they just got too overconfident with the race and took their foot off the gas. The caucus likes Fetterman! Peters and Stabenow all but endorsed him in the primary, and the only one really willing to go to bat for Lamb was Manchin.

I'm not really sure why the Oz story isn't getting more play there either. I guess abortion outrage brings in more views?

The abortion story seems to be far more objectionable than the "dog abuse" story, and yes, it is the kind of story that is more sensationalist and more likely to generate ratings for the media.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #4329 on: October 05, 2022, 10:19:27 AM »

Nobody believes Oz personally killed 300 puppies himself.
Some people definitely do and as far as I'm concerned the more Pennsylvania voters who do the better.

Yeah that’s where I’m at too.

Mind you animal testing is not objectively “necessary” and has been controversial in science from the beginning, *and* even tho Oz was not the hand that killed the dogs as the PI he absolutely was responsible in every sense of the word, including legally which is what matters anyway.

But having this discussion about the ethics and practices of animal testing don’t help Oz at any rate because the voters this will turn off are already too stupid to get the nuance. All ppl know is dogs are dead and it’s Dr Oz’s fault. The only remaining question is which and how many voters that would sway.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4330 on: October 05, 2022, 10:26:28 AM »

Oz getting desperate, trying to change the narrative right now to something outlandish

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4331 on: October 05, 2022, 10:27:26 AM »

Oz getting desperate, trying to change the narrative right now to something outlandish

(tweet)

That's really reaching.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4332 on: October 05, 2022, 10:42:06 AM »

Fetterman is leading 55/36 in Center Street Pac
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4333 on: October 05, 2022, 12:15:46 PM »

I'm curious if fhtagn has any takes on this. IIRC even though she's pretty right-wing, animal rights is one of her main causes.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #4334 on: October 05, 2022, 01:02:32 PM »

Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #4335 on: October 05, 2022, 02:48:42 PM »

Medical testing on animals is a generally accepted practice. It is legal. The issue isn't that Oz was testing on animals, it was that he broke the law while doing so, leading to animals suffering in ways that are not acceptable. Yes, the headlines are that he killed puppies, but headlines always skew towards what gets the most eyes. The actual issue is that he tested on animals and didn't follow the relatively lenient legal requirements. He tortured animals.

From the Jezebel article: "In the early 2000s, testimony from a whistleblower and veterinarian named Catherine Dell’Orto about Oz’s research detailed extensive suffering inflicted on his team’s canine test subjects, including multiple violations of the Animal Welfare Act, which sets minimum standards of care for dogs, cats, primates, rabbits, and other animals in the possession of animal dealers and laboratories. The law specifically requires researchers and breeders to use pain-relieving drugs or euthanasia on the animals, and not use paralytics without anesthesia, or experiment multiple times on the same animal."

So yeah. It's not about whether or not people are OK with animal testing, it's whether or not people are OK with inflicting undue suffering and, you know, *breaking the law*.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4336 on: October 05, 2022, 04:05:16 PM »

BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #4337 on: October 05, 2022, 04:21:58 PM »

Oz has had a very strong couple of weeks. Around a +5 improvement in internals from both sides. Will it be enough? Maybe.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4338 on: October 05, 2022, 06:11:24 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2022, 06:25:43 PM by wbrocks67 »

CNN has picked it up

Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4339 on: October 06, 2022, 03:10:30 AM »

What a nice old man. I wonder what he's going to do with the puppy.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4340 on: October 06, 2022, 07:37:46 AM »

Fetterman raised $22M, double the $11M from the last quarter. (Oz raised $10M)

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4341 on: October 06, 2022, 08:12:11 AM »

In case you were wondering why Fetterman's lead is fading away, this might provide you with the answer. Yes, you guessed it, the guy lost 10 points with college educated voters.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/fetterman-oz-polls/
Babeuf

« Reply #4342 on: October 06, 2022, 08:18:05 AM »

Fetterman raised $22M, double the $11M from the last quarter. (Oz raised $10M)

Plus the $7M self funded from Oz, so $17M for him.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4343 on: October 06, 2022, 08:29:34 AM »

In case you were wondering why Fetterman's lead is fading away, this might provide you with the answer. Yes, you guessed it, the guy lost 10 points with college educated voters.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/fetterman-oz-polls/

538 is better than this - they quite literally just cherrypick one poll for this demographic. If they were going to an average of all recent polls, that would be something, but going off of one could easily just be variation. Also, to boot, Oz was at 36% in that first Fox poll. He had nowhere to go but up.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #4344 on: October 06, 2022, 09:08:54 AM »

I moderated a focus group last night of "persuasion target voters" (I'm not running the project, I only stepped in to moderate after my colleague caught COVID, so I don't know how these participants were defined/recruited though all began undecided in the Senate race) and the crime ads against Fetterman came up.

The ads really didn't seem to be working on these less ideological voters who were/are generally more passive observers and participants in politics. They all seemed to agree that the ads are tonally over the top and that they had seen too much of them (oversaturation, essentially). What surprised me, though, was that they seemed to see the attacks as intended to harden opinions rather than to drive them ("I think if you are the type of person who believes this stuff you've probably already made up your mind" was one standout quote) and unpersuasive in their content ("He just wants to let people out of jail? I mean, come on"). The negative ads about his not paying taxes were more effective - they spoke more to his character and not sharing their values - but the crime ads had so thoroughly poisoned the well that after all the negative ads every participant was still undecided.

You should never extrapolate from qualitative research (focus groups are directional/informative, not statistically significant) but this is a strong validator of my working theory that these ad blitzes have fixed Oz's issues with the Republican base but not much beyond that.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4345 on: October 06, 2022, 09:46:12 AM »

I moderated a focus group last night of "persuasion target voters" (I'm not running the project, I only stepped in to moderate after my colleague caught COVID, so I don't know how these participants were defined/recruited though all began undecided in the Senate race) and the crime ads against Fetterman came up.

The ads really didn't seem to be working on these less ideological voters who were/are generally more passive observers and participants in politics. They all seemed to agree that the ads are tonally over the top and that they had seen too much of them (oversaturation, essentially). What surprised me, though, was that they seemed to see the attacks as intended to harden opinions rather than to drive them ("I think if you are the type of person who believes this stuff you've probably already made up your mind" was one standout quote) and unpersuasive in their content ("He just wants to let people out of jail? I mean, come on"). The negative ads about his not paying taxes were more effective - they spoke more to his character and not sharing their values - but the crime ads had so thoroughly poisoned the well that after all the negative ads every participant was still undecided.

You should never extrapolate from qualitative research (focus groups are directional/informative, not statistically significant) but this is a strong validator of my working theory that these ad blitzes have fixed Oz's issues with the Republican base but not much beyond that.

This is really interesting, thank you for this. Makes a lot of sense, and probably key part of the reason why Oz's #s have ticked up - just that, those ads (and naturally getting closer to the election) have helped him shore up some of the GOP base.

Could also point to why on the overall electorate, Fetterman apparently still has a lead on crime (Monmouth) and leads among Indies.

Political ads tend to usually be over the top, but I'm pretty sure I said in this thread weeks ago when these ads started to first pop up that they were even more over the top than usual. To the point of when you saw half of them, you would just have to laugh at how ridiculous they clearly were.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4346 on: October 06, 2022, 02:13:13 PM »

Fetterman can actually call this a win. I remember thinking it was a bit random for him to bring this up back in August.

Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4347 on: October 06, 2022, 02:57:26 PM »

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4348 on: October 06, 2022, 03:29:04 PM »

TBH, even with control of the senate at stake, I would vote against the Democrat if it came out they were killing dogs (or ordering such) for research. I get that everyone is partisan af these days but I'd at least like to think that if you are a dog lover, you'd draw the line at needlessly euthanizing these precious creatures:

But that’s the thing….he just wasn’t. He was conducting medical research trials on important potentially life-saving heart medications as a research director at a major medical university. Almost 100% of such trials end up killing animals.

Now we can debate the ethics of animal testing during such trials, but at no point has it been suggested either that this was an unusual practice in the field or that Oz was personally involved in the euthanasia of the test subjects. The worst allegations are that some of his researchers did not follow proper guidelines when euthanizing the subjects, an extremely minor violation that carries a 2000$ fine.

This story may as well have been ‘Oz was an important medical researcher at a major institution for 21 years; while there, several staffers got speeding tickets’. The penalties in terms of fines are similar, the only difference between the two is that the speeding tickets might make someone lose their license.

If anything I am impressed that he was a medical researcher at Columbia. I honestly thought he was just a TV personality selling questionable tonics and elixirs to unsuspecting housewives. My opinion of him based on this story has gone up significantly and anyone who thinks otherwise honestly just has no idea how the scientific process works or how medicine is tested and developed.

Looks like compucomp came out of retirement just to like this post 🤣
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4349 on: October 06, 2022, 06:07:43 PM »

Fetterman can actually call this a win. I remember thinking it was a bit random for him to bring this up back in August.

I don't think there is any doubt that he influenced Biden here. So that is a pretty big boon for him.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 171 172 173 [174] 175 176 177 178 179 ... 244  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies