Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 03:10:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 190 191 192 [193] 194 195 196 197 198 ... 284
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 351733 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4800 on: November 02, 2021, 07:32:25 PM »

But... I don't understand. Swing voters don't even know what the exact academic definition of CRT is! I've been informed by Atlas that this somehow means they can't vote based on what their impression of it is.

They don't know what it really it, but that really isn't the point. The point is that Republicans got enough people to the polls who are stupid enough to believe that critical race theory is being taught in K-12 when it really isn't.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #4801 on: November 02, 2021, 07:32:30 PM »

Christopher Rufo needs to be the next GOP secretary of education.

Youngkin doesn't get to make cabinet appointments. Those are made by the President.

Not now, but perhaps in 3 years...

The last time a Republican won the Virginia gubernatorial it didn't exactly lead to a Republican winning the presidency. Isn't a little early to be making such plans?

All I'm saying is that Youngkin has suddenly become one of the top favorites for winning the nomination.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #4802 on: November 02, 2021, 07:32:32 PM »

swf541

« Reply #4803 on: November 02, 2021, 07:32:37 PM »

It's 2009 all over again and we all knew what happened in 2010...

Blew several easily winnable senate seats due to nominating weirdos and proceeded to blow a very winnable presidential election?

(I think 22 will be bad for dems but depending on the economy will vary from somewhat bad to 2010-2014 tier)
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #4804 on: November 02, 2021, 07:33:07 PM »

I will never forget NSV harassing me all over this forum after I was off (like everyone else) in the CA recall.

Like everyone else? Some of us called both this race and CA correctly.

Was about to say, let's not go nuts.  Not everybody here is interested in gloating after election hits-and-misses.  
Vespucci
United States

« Reply #4805 on: November 02, 2021, 07:33:12 PM »

People seem to be focusing more on McAuliffe's bad campaign than Youngkin's good one. If Republicans can run similar campaigns next year they could get their red wave. I'm not entirely confident they will, though.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #4806 on: November 02, 2021, 07:33:20 PM »

Establishment Democrats are the most out of touch people on the planet
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4807 on: November 02, 2021, 07:33:39 PM »

Overwhelmingly Dem so far according to the WAPO. Keep in mind only 7.6% of the ballots have been counted.

No, more like 1/3 or more. If only 7% of ballots were counted, Fairfax alone would have over 2m votes.

My bad lol. I was comparing the percentages.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4808 on: November 02, 2021, 07:33:45 PM »

Blame the Democrats who nominated a Clinton has been. This is about the failures of third way neolib politics.

Hopefully this is the final nail in the coffin of the Republican lite wing. Swingy suburban voters are never going to be the base of the supposedly left wing party. Ever.

So we should have run a birdie Sanders clone? Please. The answering meal liberal is an exactly a cure all for the Democratic Party's party's ills. If Terry McCullough had run at least as good a campaign as he did 8 years ago, he might have had a shot here.

Addressing the issue  Constructively now, I have to admit I'm a little surprised as I was under the impression that, republicans notwithstanding of course, that McCullough had left office reasonably well reasonably well liked and popular.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4809 on: November 02, 2021, 07:33:49 PM »

RATINGS CHANGE:

2024 Virginia Electoral Votes: Likely D >>> Safe R
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #4810 on: November 02, 2021, 07:33:52 PM »

NSV is very quiet right now.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4811 on: November 02, 2021, 07:34:10 PM »

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4812 on: November 02, 2021, 07:34:10 PM »

It seems the pace by which the votes are being counted is picking up.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4813 on: November 02, 2021, 07:34:33 PM »

Early vote has stalled, basically. Still only 21% in, compared with 60% of E-Day.

https://www.vpap.org/electionresults/20211102/statewide/
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4814 on: November 02, 2021, 07:34:40 PM »

Establishment Democrats are the most out of touch people on the planet

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/aoc-defends-critical-race-theory-being-taught-in-schools/ar-AAMnukn
?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #4815 on: November 02, 2021, 07:34:41 PM »

People seem to be focusing more on McAuliffe's bad campaign than Youngkin's good one. If Republicans can run similar campaigns next year they could get their red wave. I'm not entirely confident they will, though.

Absolutely. Virginia will not look like this if the 2024 campaign is about how we need another Arizona audit.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4816 on: November 02, 2021, 07:35:08 PM »

Youngkin tops 1 million votes with 60% in.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/11/02/us/elections/results-virginia.html
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #4817 on: November 02, 2021, 07:35:11 PM »

Regardless of what the margin ends up being, the fact that Republicans were able to improve upon the GOP baseline here by running against teaching Toni Morrison books is really all that any of us needs to know.
hyouzel the predictor
hyouzel
United States

P P
« Reply #4818 on: November 02, 2021, 07:35:17 PM »

In summary, Youngkin ran an excellent campaign while McAuliffe ran an awful one. Dems cannot control the narrative for the life of them... BTW I fully believe if the Dem party in Loudoun had their sh**t together TMAC would have won bc this CRT/anti-trans narrative wouldn't have spun out of control...
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4819 on: November 02, 2021, 07:35:41 PM »

The takeaway is that the thing people dislike about Trump is not his rhetoric, but his tone. Youngkin ran close to Trump on the issues—making CRT the key issue was definitely a Trumpy thing to do—but was much nicer about it. Democrats are in big trouble if they don’t figure out how to counter the rhetoric.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4820 on: November 02, 2021, 07:35:44 PM »

Blame the Democrats who nominated a Clinton has been. This is about the failures of third way neolib politics.

Hopefully this is the final nail in the coffin of the Republican lite wing. Swingy suburban voters are never going to be the base of the supposedly left wing party. Ever.

So we should have run a birdie Sanders clone? Please. The answering meal liberal is an exactly a cure all for the Democratic Party's party's ills. If Terry McCullough had run at least as good a campaign as he did 8 years ago, he might have had a shot here.

Addressing the issue  Constructively now, I have to admit I'm a little surprised as I was under the impression that, republicans notwithstanding of course, that McCullough had left office reasonably well reasonably well liked and popular.

No, the answer is to run Democrats who actually have a plan and can both run on issues and motivate voters. Fetterman, Conor Lamb, Ossoff, Warnock, AOC, they don't have to be from the Sanders wing.

McAuliffe motivated no one, he ran against Trump instead of his actual opponent and he isn't charismatic.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #4821 on: November 02, 2021, 07:35:50 PM »

Well it looks like there were several Clinton/Northam/Kaine/Biden voters for Youngkin.
EJ24
United States

« Reply #4822 on: November 02, 2021, 07:36:27 PM »

Terry did run a bad campaign but his campaign is symptomatic on the micro-level of what's wrong with the Democratic party currently. They are still living on the political corpse of Trump, and that simply will not last forever. They also don't seem to have an answer to these wedge culture war issues such as CRT. I think an effective way to counter that is by setting the agenda by getting legislative wins on Kitchen table issues and daring the Republicans to oppose it.

But they haven't done that all year, and thus they have nothing to campaign on.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4823 on: November 02, 2021, 07:36:37 PM »

200k gap is pretty big, so definitely some heavy lifting even with the outstanding votes in NOVA and some down around Richmond and Tidewater that might skew DEM.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #4824 on: November 02, 2021, 07:36:56 PM »

No, the answer is to run Democrats who actually have a plan and can both run on issues and motivate voters. Fetterman, Conor Lamb, Ossoff, Warnock, AOC, they don't have to be from the Sanders wing.

McAuliffe motivated no one, he ran against Trump instead of his actual opponent and he isn't charismatic.

How is AOC not from the Sanders wing?
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 190 191 192 [193] 194 195 196 197 198 ... 284  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies