CONGRESSIONAL RESULTS MEGA THREAD
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 01:12:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CONGRESSIONAL RESULTS MEGA THREAD
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 89
Author Topic: CONGRESSIONAL RESULTS MEGA THREAD  (Read 69755 times)
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: November 05, 2020, 03:27:48 PM »

lol

BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #201 on: November 05, 2020, 03:28:44 PM »

Oh hey, Christy Smith might actually win.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #202 on: November 05, 2020, 03:31:46 PM »

Oh hey, Christy Smith might actually win.

California ballots so far have had a R trendline btw. Not sure how it ends up at the very end
Roblox

« Reply #203 on: November 05, 2020, 03:34:13 PM »

The democrats nominated Joe Biden lol. He and most swing seat candidates openly denounced defund the police at every opportunity. If all it takes for republicans to win is progressive activists saying anything, than your done anyway lmao.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #204 on: November 05, 2020, 03:37:07 PM »

The democrats nominated Joe Biden lol. He and most swing seat candidates openly denounced defund the police at every opportunity. If all it takes for republicans to win is progressive activists saying anything, than your done anyway lmao.

Basically this. Harris and a bunch of Congresspeople should be less online on the social issues, but it if really was the woke activists that did it for these Democrats (and I doubt it), it's to be minimised at worst or leaned into at best if it works (as with Qanon for the GOP). The party, the country and social media is way too decentralised for everyone on DSA Twitter to be censored, not that this power would be a good thing in any case considering how awful the national leadership has consistently been on many issues.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #205 on: November 05, 2020, 03:39:36 PM »

They should honestly call both WA-03 and WA-08. WA-03 isn't even going to be lose, and while WA-08 could end up narrowly within 5%, Jensen isn't making up the gap.

As for the discussion of the Squad/centrist/M4A, I'll repeat my talking point: Messaging, messaging, messaging is everything.
Any idea why dems are so bad at messaging?

A few reasons.

1. Frustration: A lot of Democrats who are understandably fed up and tired at a lack of meaningful change on a number of issues want to make over-the-top slogans to try and draw attention to an issue. I think people who disagree should understand that this is a big part of where these overly simplistic proclamations come from, even if it's not a politically good strategy.

2. Lack of contact with those who aren't like-minded: It's not universally true that liberals live in a bubble, but many do, and simply don't understand how their messaging could be interpreted in a different way. Too many also push away those who criticize their messaging, even if they agree with the underlying goal.

3. Complicated ideas, simple slogans: Some ideas on the left are quite complex, and it's hard to find an accurate, succinct way of expressing those ideas. It's also hard to avoid using words that have a negative connotation in politics.

There are probably more, including the messengers themselves, but these are some big ones.
Well that's something certainly, I never understood their problems. Do you think that Bernie/Squad hurt a lot?

They haven't been the best messengers, that's for sure (especially Omar and Tlaib.) I think that, at the very least, they do pick up on a lot of the frustration part I talked about, but Democrats and progressives need to find a better way to communicate this. We hear all the time about how people in rural areas are struggling, and while it's true that some Democratic candidates don't pay enough attention to it, plenty of people in cities are struggling. The "ivory tower" image people like to bring up only describes a small number of people in urban areas. For many people, their problems are very real, and just moving somewhere less expensive is nowhere near as easy as it sounds.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #206 on: November 05, 2020, 03:41:13 PM »

Ok, so I haven't posted on this board for months.

Biden is president-elect, yet I come on here and numerous dems are treating 2020 election as some sort of loss for dems. wtf?

who cares about downballot? Nobody remembers presidential election years by what happens in house and senate.

The dems won the 2020 election, end of story.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #207 on: November 05, 2020, 03:43:01 PM »

IS YELLING
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #208 on: November 05, 2020, 03:46:06 PM »

Welcome to Atlas! If we had a more "boring" Republican as President, I think some Democrats here would rather see said Republican win and the Democrats take the Senate than the result we got.

It does show how unrepresentative Atlas is on both sides, since most rank-and-file Democrats probably don't care much about the Senate, and are just happy and relieved that Trump is losing, while most Trump supporters are probably quite upset right now, and also don't care much about keeping the Senate.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #209 on: November 05, 2020, 03:47:12 PM »

Biden is president-elect, yet I come on here and numerous dems are treating 2020 election as some sort of loss for dems. wtf?

who cares about downballot? Nobody remembers presidential election years by what happens in house and senate.

The difference between a Dem trifecta and a Biden win with a 52-48 R Senate and a D+5 House is massive.

I'm not surprised they're disappointed. Basically every reach goal they had for Biden's term is off the table now. These next four years are going to be about modest executive order gains and haggling with McConnell over stimulus bills.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #210 on: November 05, 2020, 03:47:52 PM »

Has McSally conceded yet?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #211 on: November 05, 2020, 03:48:33 PM »

They should honestly call both WA-03 and WA-08. WA-03 isn't even going to be lose, and while WA-08 could end up narrowly within 5%, Jensen isn't making up the gap.

As for the discussion of the Squad/centrist/M4A, I'll repeat my talking point: Messaging, messaging, messaging is everything.

A few reasons.

1. Frustration: A lot of Democrats who are understandably fed up and tired at a lack of meaningful change on a number of issues want to make over-the-top slogans to try and draw attention to an issue. I think people who disagree should understand that this is a big part of where these overly simplistic proclamations come from, even if it's not a politically good strategy.

2. Lack of contact with those who aren't like-minded: It's not universally true that liberals live in a bubble, but many do, and simply don't understand how their messaging could be interpreted in a different way. Too many also push away those who criticize their messaging, even if they agree with the underlying goal.

3. Complicated ideas, simple slogans: Some ideas on the left are quite complex, and it's hard to find an accurate, succinct way of expressing those ideas. It's also hard to avoid using words that have a negative connotation in politics.

There are probably more, including the messengers themselves, but these are some big ones.
Well that's something certainly, I never understood their problems. Do you think that Bernie/Squad hurt a lot?

They haven't been the best messengers, that's for sure (especially Omar and Tlaib.) I think that, at the very least, they do pick up on a lot of the frustration part I talked about, but Democrats and progressives need to find a better way to communicate this. We hear all the time about how people in rural areas are struggling, and while it's true that some Democratic candidates don't pay enough attention to it, plenty of people in cities are struggling. The "ivory tower" image people like to bring up only describes a small number of people in urban areas. For many people, their problems are very real, and just moving somewhere less expensive is nowhere near as easy as it sounds.
But is that frustrated voting block really relevant? We've seen that surged city turn out doesn't save them in places. What messengers could bring it do you think? Correct me if I say anything wrong btw, I'm on 6 hours of sleep since Monday.

I meant that these frustrated voters sometimes buy into messaging that doesn't help their cause, because they're fed up. Democrats need better messaging to reach more people outside of their base or their most reliable base to have more success politically.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #212 on: November 05, 2020, 03:49:47 PM »

Interesting I wonder how Valadao will turn out, he's up by 3 now and it seems in the central valley D votes came first looking at Kings and Tulare county, Kings is much more R than Tulare because its almost fully in while Tulare is only like 70% in. Kern is only 50% in and its a tie. I doubt Biden wins Kern so Valadao might do good.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #213 on: November 05, 2020, 03:53:16 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2020, 03:57:14 PM by brucejoel99 »

What's up with Candace Valenzuela in TX-24? She's behind by just under 4,500 votes according to the AP right now, with 99% reporting. Any insight as to what the outstanding vote is/where it's from & how it likely factors into an end result?

Following-up on ^ this ^ as well as a question about NJ-02: the AP shows JVD has a 10,000-vote lead but only 72% reporting. What's outstanding there, is it mail-in, & is Kennedy still in this thing?
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #214 on: November 05, 2020, 04:13:59 PM »

There’s a lot of injustices in our system that only a Dem trifecta could have made right.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #215 on: November 05, 2020, 04:20:04 PM »

Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #216 on: November 05, 2020, 04:22:14 PM »

There’s a lot of injustices in our system that only a Dem trifecta could have made right.

Dems need to stop with the pollyannaish attitude.  This election was a disaster for Democrats below the Presidential level and need to realize that something with their messaging is very, very wrong.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #217 on: November 05, 2020, 05:03:20 PM »

CA-39 is R+.5 with 89% reporting and I have no idea how the CA late ballots tend to land. Will Cisneros send Young Kim back to school?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #218 on: November 05, 2020, 05:08:13 PM »

CA-39 is R+.5 with 89% reporting and I have no idea how the CA late ballots tend to land. Will Cisneros send Young Kim back to school?

In normal years, late ballots in CA skew heavily D. But this year, they apparently might be more Republican, so it looks like Valadao, Garcia, Kim and Steel can all win.
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #219 on: November 05, 2020, 05:21:02 PM »

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #220 on: November 05, 2020, 05:22:57 PM »

Mcadams has this, According to the presidential race 97% of Utah County is in while only 70% of SLC. Unless if Late ballots skew Republican?
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #221 on: November 05, 2020, 05:25:06 PM »

Mcadams has this, According to the presidential race 97% of Utah County is in while only 70% of SLC. Unless if Late ballots skew Republican?
Late ballots have been all over the place this year.. so I'm not sure.
n1240

« Reply #222 on: November 05, 2020, 05:31:20 PM »

Utah could have similar reporting trend to Arizona, given how much mail-in vote there is in the state as is. Owens could do relatively better in the few succeeding days but might be a bit better for McAdams after that, depending on the order they're counting mail-in as well.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #223 on: November 05, 2020, 05:32:49 PM »

A few reasons.

The whole structure of our system amplifies folks who take issue with politics not revolving around their problems. I understand that a lot of people everywhere have their own sets of challenges, but there also needs to be a point where we say things like 250,000 dead people and kids in cages are too much.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #224 on: November 05, 2020, 05:38:43 PM »

A few reasons.

The whole structure of our system amplifies folks who take issue with politics not revolving around their problems. I understand that a lot of people everywhere have their own sets of challenges, but there also needs to be a point where we say things like 250,000 dead people and kids in cages are too much.

I think with COVID the GOP seemed successful at getting the blame off Trump.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 89  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies