CONGRESSIONAL RESULTS MEGA THREAD
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 02:44:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CONGRESSIONAL RESULTS MEGA THREAD
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 89
Author Topic: CONGRESSIONAL RESULTS MEGA THREAD  (Read 69686 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: November 06, 2020, 07:38:21 AM »

It's really interesting which House Dems collapsed but which ones did really well. Luria did really well in VA-02, while McBath nearly up 10% in GA-06.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #251 on: November 06, 2020, 07:39:20 AM »

Espy is doing pretty good so far, running a whole 7 points ahead of Biden. I can't really imagine MS voters care about CHS's gaffe's too much considering Graham and every other Republican did fine. Must be Espy actually running a good campaign.

Mostly under the radar + much less nationalized than MT/SC/KY = benefits Democrats.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #252 on: November 06, 2020, 09:37:15 AM »

UT-04
Owens (R) 48.0%
McAdams (D) 47.2%
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #253 on: November 06, 2020, 09:48:10 AM »

Espy is doing pretty good so far, running a whole 7 points ahead of Biden. I can't really imagine MS voters care about CHS's gaffe's too much considering Graham and every other Republican did fine. Must be Espy actually running a good campaign.

You mean the margin is 7 pts less, he's 3.3 pts ahead of Biden. But I agree he's a relatively strong candidate.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #254 on: November 06, 2020, 10:44:56 AM »

At the way votes are coming in, I'd say 40%. No one in the CAGOP, including Jessica Patterson, the chairwoman, thought we would flip any Orange seats.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #255 on: November 06, 2020, 10:59:53 AM »

What's up with the likes of Lauren Underwood & Susan Wild? Looking at the current margins, I'd guess mail-in ballots would probably help them, but does anybody have more insight as to whether or not they'll be saved in the end?

Susan Wild should be okay, but IDK about Underwood

Wasserman thinks Underwood is the favorite. Make of that what you will.

It appears there is a lot of IL mail in ballots out. So those probably take her over the edge.

Rita Hart has now taken the lead in IA-02, albeit by only like 200-300 votes
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #256 on: November 06, 2020, 11:00:59 AM »

Given what happened with Dems across the country in swing seats, I'm pleasantly surprised McAdams may actually hang on
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #257 on: November 06, 2020, 11:08:34 AM »

At the way votes are coming in, I'd say 40%. No one in the CAGOP, including Jessica Patterson, the chairwoman, thought we would flip any Orange seats.

Id say so.  It seems like the remaining votes might have enough of a GOP lean for her to win.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #258 on: November 06, 2020, 11:16:44 AM »

Ok, so I haven't posted on this board for months.

Biden is president-elect, yet I come on here and numerous dems are treating 2020 election as some sort of loss for dems. wtf?

who cares about downballot? Nobody remembers presidential election years by what happens in house and senate.

The dems won the 2020 election, end of story.

Justice Merrick Garland is glad to know only the Presidency matters.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #259 on: November 06, 2020, 11:18:40 AM »

Ok, so I haven't posted on this board for months.

Biden is president-elect, yet I come on here and numerous dems are treating 2020 election as some sort of loss for dems. wtf?

who cares about downballot? Nobody remembers presidential election years by what happens in house and senate.

The dems won the 2020 election, end of story.

Justice Merrick Garland is glad to know only the Presidency matters.

Haha yep.  Without the Senate, Dems will never get to appoint another Justice.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #260 on: November 06, 2020, 11:23:13 AM »

Given what happened with Dems across the country in swing seats, I'm pleasantly surprised McAdams may actually hang on

Owens is a QAnon nut. Against anyone else, he would have lost. And we would have known it by now.

Hassan 2022
Calm NH Lib
Rookie
United States

« Reply #261 on: November 06, 2020, 11:29:04 AM »

For all the talk of the Dems doing awful in the House races, I don't really see it that way. It was really only the ones who were basically DOA (specifically Peterson), typically heavily Republican district representatives like Rose and Horn, and the South Florida ones who lost. Overall not bad.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #262 on: November 06, 2020, 11:34:44 AM »

For all the talk of the Dems doing awful in the House races, I don't really see it that way. It was really only the ones who were basically DOA (specifically Peterson), typically heavily Republican district representatives like Rose and Horn, and the South Florida ones who lost. Overall not bad.

The number os seats the Pubs won in seats Clinton won is quite substantial so no.
Hassan 2022
Calm NH Lib
Rookie
United States

« Reply #263 on: November 06, 2020, 11:36:56 AM »

The number os seats the Pubs won in seats Clinton won is quite substantial so no.

True, but the Dems are holding onto a good chunk of the seats they won in suburban districts that they flipped in 2018 (Casten, Luria, Spanberger, Schrier, Porter, Levin, Stevens, Slotkin, etc.).
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #264 on: November 06, 2020, 11:46:39 AM »
« Edited: November 06, 2020, 11:50:44 AM by Pollster »

It does seem that many of the 2018 Dems who lost are in seats where Clinton's performance was inflated or where the long-term trend is ugly for Dems (or both), whereas the ones who held on are in seats that are the exact opposite.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #265 on: November 06, 2020, 11:49:54 AM »

Spanberger btfo

However yeah I agree that the main story of 2020 is just a mediocre performance, not a horrible one. Democrats even stand to flip some seats trending their way. Also Democrats please stop hiring Robby Mook I am literally begging you
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #266 on: November 06, 2020, 11:50:21 AM »

They should honestly call both WA-03 and WA-08. WA-03 isn't even going to be lose, and while WA-08 could end up narrowly within 5%, Jensen isn't making up the gap.

As for the discussion of the Squad/centrist/M4A, I'll repeat my talking point: Messaging, messaging, messaging is everything.
Any idea why dems are so bad at messaging?

A few reasons.

1. Frustration: A lot of Democrats who are understandably fed up and tired at a lack of meaningful change on a number of issues want to make over-the-top slogans to try and draw attention to an issue. I think people who disagree should understand that this is a big part of where these overly simplistic proclamations come from, even if it's not a politically good strategy.

2. Lack of contact with those who aren't like-minded: It's not universally true that liberals live in a bubble, but many do, and simply don't understand how their messaging could be interpreted in a different way. Too many also push away those who criticize their messaging, even if they agree with the underlying goal.

3. Complicated ideas, simple slogans: Some ideas on the left are quite complex, and it's hard to find an accurate, succinct way of expressing those ideas. It's also hard to avoid using words that have a negative connotation in politics.

There are probably more, including the messengers themselves, but these are some big ones.
Well that's something certainly, I never understood their problems. Do you think that Bernie/Squad hurt a lot?

This is a good run down, particularly number 2. Many squad-types work under the "people will like and vote for us once they hear our message" assumption and make no effort to understand their own lack of appeal where it persists, and why their message is not considered a positive one by many voters (even left-leaning ones). Katie Porter seems to have gotten a very strong handle on it.
Katie Porter does a very good job connecting with voters personally, far better than Mike does, who does it well. Idk if anything should be brought from Katie's win.

This seems like a massive self-contradiction.

I also don't know who/what you're referring to with regards to Mike.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #267 on: November 06, 2020, 11:52:14 AM »

Spanberger btfo

However yeah I agree that the main story of 2020 is just a mediocre performance, not a horrible one. Democrats even stand to flip some seats trending their way. Also Democrats please stop hiring Robby Mook I am literally begging you

Err...no, not really.  I think Spanberger is being kinda silly, but this is a very weak response from AOC.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #268 on: November 06, 2020, 11:55:43 AM »

They should honestly call both WA-03 and WA-08. WA-03 isn't even going to be lose, and while WA-08 could end up narrowly within 5%, Jensen isn't making up the gap.

As for the discussion of the Squad/centrist/M4A, I'll repeat my talking point: Messaging, messaging, messaging is everything.

A few reasons.

1. Frustration: A lot of Democrats who are understandably fed up and tired at a lack of meaningful change on a number of issues want to make over-the-top slogans to try and draw attention to an issue. I think people who disagree should understand that this is a big part of where these overly simplistic proclamations come from, even if it's not a politically good strategy.

2. Lack of contact with those who aren't like-minded: It's not universally true that liberals live in a bubble, but many do, and simply don't understand how their messaging could be interpreted in a different way. Too many also push away those who criticize their messaging, even if they agree with the underlying goal.

3. Complicated ideas, simple slogans: Some ideas on the left are quite complex, and it's hard to find an accurate, succinct way of expressing those ideas. It's also hard to avoid using words that have a negative connotation in politics.

There are probably more, including the messengers themselves, but these are some big ones.
Well that's something certainly, I never understood their problems. Do you think that Bernie/Squad hurt a lot?

This is a good run down, particularly number 2. Many squad-types work under the "people will like and vote for us once they hear our message" assumption and make no effort to understand their own lack of appeal where it persists, and why their message is not considered a positive one by many voters (even left-leaning ones). Katie Porter seems to have gotten a very strong handle on it.
Katie Porter does a very good job connecting with voters personally, far better than Mike does, who does it well. Idk if anything should be brought from Katie's win.

I just meant as in messaging, because it's not ads or mailers, it's her personally that helped swing the district so hard. That means I don't think they can just copy what she did effectively elsewhere without someone as good at connecting with voters on a personal level as her. Mike would be Mike Garcia, from CA-25, the congressman there, whom I'm a staffer for, I've found he's very good at connecting with voters, but from the time I met Katie, and what I know from the GOP campaign down there, she's far better.
Sorry if I didn't make sense before or now, I've got no sleep in me.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #269 on: November 06, 2020, 11:56:57 AM »

A few reasons.

Mike Garcia perhaps?

Nevertheless, I'm not sure about this idea. Everyone thought the same thing about Joe Cunningham and Max Rose. I thought Rose was going to cruise to re-election at the beginning of the year.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #270 on: November 06, 2020, 11:59:04 AM »

A few reasons.

Mike Garcia perhaps?

Nevertheless, I'm not sure about this idea. Everyone thought the same thing about Joe Cunningham and Max Rose. I thought Rose was going to cruise to re-election at the beginning of the year.
Yea It's Mike Garcia, I've been a staffer with him since December.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #271 on: November 06, 2020, 12:00:55 PM »

Spanberger btfo

Err...no, not really.  I think Spanberger is being kinda silly, but this is a very weak response from AOC.

Did you read the whole thread? I haven't looked at the expenditures of these candidates, but it does seem compelling if, indeed, these candidates aren't spending appreciable sums on TV the week before election. I think the point about Tlaib and Omar might have missed the mark, since if I recall correctly both underperformed Biden, but they clearly have strong ground game or they wouldn't have won their primaries, so maybe they did help boost Biden in those states. Who knows. It's also true that – as I've said previously – most, if not all, of the House reps who went under were moderates, not progressives.
Hassan 2022
Calm NH Lib
Rookie
United States

« Reply #272 on: November 06, 2020, 12:09:02 PM »

All Dem incumbents in PA are likely safe now. Wild and Lamb are ahead and now the Cartwright race has been called.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #273 on: November 06, 2020, 12:10:12 PM »

Rooby Mook is a curse, dont hire him. basically a reverse Dick Morris
Hassan 2022
Calm NH Lib
Rookie
United States