2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 07:38:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 537 538 539 540 541 [542] 543 544 545 546 547 ... 818
Author Topic: 2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread  (Read 646004 times)
European Lefty
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.69, S: -7.68

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13525 on: November 06, 2020, 08:09:29 AM »

People saying that the Democrats should abandon Florida:

1) How are you going to get control of the senate back and keep it without at least one FL seat?
2) What's your backup plan for when razor-thin majorities in AZ and GA go the other way in a presidential election?
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13526 on: November 06, 2020, 08:10:44 AM »

Does anyone know if we'll get enough votes counted in either PA and/or NV today, so that networks can finally call this race for Biden?
I have a feeling that the networks are only waiting for Biden to overtake Trump in the official PA count. There really should be plenty of evidence for calling it already, but the optics of calling it while Trump is "ahead" are really bad, especially with all of his supporters claiming a rigged election.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #13527 on: November 06, 2020, 08:11:57 AM »

Does anyone know if we'll get enough votes counted in either PA and/or NV today, so that networks can finally call this race for Biden?
I have a feeling that the networks are only waiting for Biden to overtake Trump in the official PA count. There really should be plenty of evidence for calling it already, but the optics of calling it while Trump is "ahead" are really bad, especially with all of his supporters claiming a rigged election.

I agree.  I just wonder if there's enough PA vote coming in today to put Biden over the top?

It would really be best for the country's collective sanity to have this race not be tied up over the weekend and going into next week.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #13528 on: November 06, 2020, 08:12:21 AM »

1) How are you going to get control of the senate back and keep it without at least one FL seat?
2) What's your backup plan for when razor-thin majorities in AZ and GA go the other way in a presidential election?

1. Theoretically at least we could get it within weeks with GA alone.

2. The hope I guess is that they continue to trend D.

Ultimately, I truly think at this point that even TX is the safer long-run bet than FL. Biden got more votes than any Democrat in history, more votes than Trump in 2016, flipped Tarrant County. It wasn't enough this year, but within the next decade it should be, especially without Trump voters coming out in force to vote for their idol.

Florida is a cursed state where every time it seems we make gains, we sustain greater losses elsewhere in the state. It truly is fool's gold more than anything else.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13529 on: November 06, 2020, 08:13:45 AM »

I agree.  I just wonder if there's enough PA vote coming in today to put Biden over the top?

There very probably is.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #13530 on: November 06, 2020, 08:14:49 AM »

Florida is and always should be a priority for the Democrats. They need to totally rebuild the Florida Democratic Party, though.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13531 on: November 06, 2020, 08:15:12 AM »
« Edited: November 06, 2020, 08:18:22 AM by Frank »

The polling firms need to conduct a poll about their polls.  Cheesy

More seriously though, for those paying attention, in addition to Ann Selzer in Iowa, the polling firm behind Investors Business Daily (TIPP) has been very accurate for three elections in a row now.

I don't know what Investors Business Daily's TIPP is doing that the other firms aren't, but they are the gold standard in the Trump area. (Which I sadly don't think is over.)
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #13532 on: November 06, 2020, 08:15:46 AM »

Screw Florida.

Democrats should still keep trying here.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #13533 on: November 06, 2020, 08:16:02 AM »

1. Theoretically at least we could get it within weeks with GA alone.

2. The hope I guess is that they continue to trend D.

Ultimately, I truly think at this point that even TX is the safer long-run bet than FL. Biden got more votes than any Democrat in history, more votes than Trump in 2016, flipped Tarrant County. It wasn't enough this year, but within the next decade it should be, especially without Trump voters coming out in force to vote for their idol.

Florida is a cursed state where every time it seems we make gains, we sustain greater losses elsewhere in the state. It truly is fool's gold more than anything else.
Obama still won Florida twice.

TX looks fairly good long term, but even a decade is a loooong time in politics.

There's no such thing as a cursed state. Republicans have just been more effective in Florida. It is not at all like they are winning it with ease.

Trump has unique appeal to a certain set of latinos.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #13534 on: November 06, 2020, 08:16:07 AM »

There very probably is.

It's not probably, there is. Biden just needs Philly alone to put him over the top, and that will likely put him like 20K over the top.
Panda Express

« Reply #13535 on: November 06, 2020, 08:16:39 AM »

Some parts of Florida looked good for the Dems. Duval County, for example, is clearly a Tilt D county going forward. Miami-Dade was only 5 points more Dem than Duval lol
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #13536 on: November 06, 2020, 08:16:50 AM »

More seriously though, for those paying attention, in addition to Ann Selzer in Iowa, the polling firm behind Investors Business Daily has been very accurate for three elections in a row now.

I don't know what Investors Business Daily is doing that the other firms aren't, but they are the gold standard in the Trump area. (Which I sadly don't think is over.)

They had Trump winning the popular vote in 2016
tjstarling
Rookie

« Reply #13537 on: November 06, 2020, 08:16:58 AM »

Bush ‘04 won by 5 points. The same year the Pubs also flipped a senate seat. Two years prior Jeb won what was supposed to be a competitive gubernatorial race by double digits. Maybe Dems should have given up on FL then too? No. Florida is too large, and, yes, too competitive to give up on and who knows what the next few years will bring. It’s clear the party needs serious on the ground investment in the state. Trump won FL by 3 points does that make it safe R? No more than Biden’s almost 3 point win makes Michigan safe D.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #13538 on: November 06, 2020, 08:17:28 AM »

Some parts of Florida looked good for the Dems. Duval County, for example, is clearly a Tilt D county going forward. Miami-Dade was only 5 points more Dem than Duval lol

The margins were pretty good for Dems pretty much everywhere except for Miami Dade, right?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13539 on: November 06, 2020, 08:18:11 AM »

I am closer to truly believing in god than I have been in years.

I'm starting to believe Georgia flipping was divine intervention intended to reward Jimmy Carter for all his goodness and kindness throughout these decades.

100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #13540 on: November 06, 2020, 08:18:38 AM »

What votes are still outstanding in Georgia?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #13541 on: November 06, 2020, 08:19:05 AM »

There very probably is.

It's not probably, there is. Biden just needs Philly alone to put him over the top, and that will likely put him like 20K over the top.

I'm sure the votes are there, but the question is will they get reported today? It's been any minute now for about 72 hours, lol, so I'm quite skeptical.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13542 on: November 06, 2020, 08:19:30 AM »

The margins were pretty good for Dems pretty much everywhere except for Miami Dade, right?

They also slipped in Broward and Palm Beach, I think the Jewish vote may have shifted right a little bit. Osceola was bad as well.

The Tampa and Jacksonville metros were very good for Dems.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #13543 on: November 06, 2020, 08:19:32 AM »

There very probably is.

I don't think they are questioning that. I think tey are questioning whether this is coming TODAY. I believe it is, but with the snails pace we are moving at, the question is reasonable.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #13544 on: November 06, 2020, 08:21:58 AM »

Obama won FL twice.  And he campaigned--and delivered--on normalizing relations with Coobah.

Trump was the ONLY Republican who would have undone this eventual normalization.  Not even President Marco Rubio would have done this.  

And right-wing Cubans will no longer have a reason to vote GOP.  

Florida will once again trend blue.

Rural whites will continue answering their damn phones anytime NBC called their homes.

And thus, the polling industry will be restored to its formal glory.

To paraphrase the Old Negro Spiritual, "Oh Happy Day."

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13545 on: November 06, 2020, 08:22:03 AM »

This is honestly how I feel, and I hope it's how Der Fuhrer Trump feels too.

The walls are closing in!

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #13546 on: November 06, 2020, 08:22:10 AM »

I don't have a specific breakdown for you, but there's reportedly "a bit under 10K" votes remaining.  

There may not be a giant drop of military ballots, though.  Tom Bonier reports on Twitter that the incoming military ballots are likely *late* military ballots and that those previously received may have already been counted. 
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13547 on: November 06, 2020, 08:22:14 AM »

More seriously though, for those paying attention, in addition to Ann Selzer in Iowa, the polling firm behind Investors Business Daily has been very accurate for three elections in a row now.

I don't know what Investors Business Daily is doing that the other firms aren't, but they are the gold standard in the Trump area. (Which I sadly don't think is over.)

They had Trump winning the popular vote in 2016

Oh, Ok.  I had mentioned that earlier but I thought they were slightly too favorable to Clinton in 2016. Even so, they still got the overall trend of the election correct, that it wouldn't be a landslide win for Hillary Clinton.

If it was just that one election, it could be argued they were more or less lucky that their polls skewed wrongly but in the right direction.  However, they were the most accurate pollster in this election and they were also the most accurate going back to the Obama era.

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13548 on: November 06, 2020, 08:23:58 AM »

CNN: Philly will dump 20K votes in 10-15 minutes.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13549 on: November 06, 2020, 08:25:08 AM »

CNN: Philly will dump 20K votes in 10-15 minutes.

Pages: 1 ... 537 538 539 540 541 [542] 543 544 545 546 547 ... 818  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies