Why did Biden do better in many inland counties in California?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:41:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Why did Biden do better in many inland counties in California?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did Biden do better in many inland counties in California?  (Read 1055 times)
perpetual_cynic
erwint.2021
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2021, 03:44:48 PM »

I understand how many counties had swings to the left like Fresno where the swing is being driven a lot by the City itself. However, I was really surprised to see how Biden did in counties like Tulare and Mono, especially Inyo and Kern. Does anyone know why these inland counties shifted leftward, even compared to Obama?
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 04:30:16 PM »

Mono and Inyo are sparsely populated and touristy, and thus had similar second-home swings to counties like Door, WI, Leelanau, MI, and so on. I don't know much about the Kern and Tulare swings given that you'd expect an R trend in counties with large Hispanic populations, as well as Kern's reliance on oil.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 05:09:34 AM »

Trump is a part of it but it's also due to the inland migration by coastal folks in search of cheaper housing. That + younger voters is why Dems have consistently increased their margins in places like Fresno & the Inland Empire since 2008.

I'm also seeing regional stories of how Bakersfield is seeing a big growth in young people & coastal folks from LA. As well, a lot of stay-at-home Bay Area workers have been resettling around Lake Tahoe since the lockdowns. I wouldn't be surprised if one or all of Kern, Placer & El Dorado Counties end up flipping by 2032.
perpetual_cynic
erwint.2021
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 08:42:51 PM »

Trump is a part of it but it's also due to the inland migration by coastal folks in search of cheaper housing. That + younger voters is why Dems have consistently increased their margins in places like Fresno & the Inland Empire since 2008.

I'm also seeing regional stories of how Bakersfield is seeing a big growth in young people & coastal folks from LA. As well, a lot of stay-at-home Bay Area workers have been resettling around Lake Tahoe since the lockdowns. I wouldn't be surprised if one or all of Kern, Placer & El Dorado Counties end up flipping by 2032.

What amazed me was the strong swing to the left in the Sacramento suburbs in Sacramento and Placer Counties. Roseville, Rocklin, Folsom have swung so hard to the left.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies