COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 01:28:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 264 265 266 [267] 268 269 270 271 272 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 554002 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6650 on: September 03, 2021, 05:35:54 AM »

So, my 87 year old grandpa, residing in a Florida assisted living home has now tested positive for COVID. Thankfully he is fully vaccinated, so I expect him to be okay in the end. But the poor guy is being taken two hours away to Jacksonville to be sequestered with other COVID positive seniors for at least two weeks. It's still not something that should be happening anymore. Furthermore; my aunt, dad, and grandma all had to get tested and quarantine until they get their results.

I've theorized that my grandpa got the virus from a worker at the home. Thanks, DeSuckass!
I've always, notoriously, loathed him; but now it's personal with me. F*** this incompetent scumbag!

As if I needed more to be angry about lately...I seriously feel like I'm losing my mind. I had a nice break from it for a short time, but we're right back to this country feeling like an apocalyptic wasteland to me...literally. People abandoned their cars on major highways here last night because of the tropical storm. Everything just sucks...my pig can't even make me feel better anymore.

I'm so sorry for you, I hope he has a strong recovery and you are ok. It's so stupid and wrong for staff working with vulnerable people not to be vaccinated.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #6651 on: September 03, 2021, 10:09:31 AM »

Since you're on this forum, you should know all about and be a big believer in political polarization. Finally it's time to put it to good use. You're either on the side of the Trumpist pro-COVID forces, or you're on the side that supports mask mandates. Pick one.
The politicization of a global pandemic is bad, actually. The fact that you're actively encouraging it to justify your beliefs is incredibly revealing.
compucomp

« Reply #6652 on: September 03, 2021, 11:10:13 AM »

Since you're on this forum, you should know all about and be a big believer in political polarization. Finally it's time to put it to good use. You're either on the side of the Trumpist pro-COVID forces, or you're on the side that supports mask mandates. Pick one.
The politicization of a global pandemic is bad, actually. The fact that you're actively encouraging it to justify your beliefs is incredibly revealing.

I'm aware of my audience here. Most of this forum hates Trump and Trumpism with every fiber of their being, and many probably spent time and money to defeat Trump last year and were ready to get their guns and fight the Trumpists to the death on Jan. 6. I've spent many posts trying to convince people on this issue with facts and logic, but many are strangely resistant to that, instead taking the Trumpist position by clinging onto a falsehood that the vaccine is an impenetrable shield that makes one safe from COVID-19, and anti-mask feelings that they just don't like wearing masks. So it's time to invoke polarization for the greater good. The overwhelmingly anti-Trump posters here need to know that they are supporting Trump by opposing mask mandates.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6653 on: September 03, 2021, 11:36:45 AM »

I'm aware of my audience here. Most of this forum hates Trump and Trumpism with every fiber of their being, and many probably spent time and money to defeat Trump last year and were ready to get their guns and fight the Trumpists to the death on Jan. 6. I've spent many posts trying to convince people on this issue with facts and logic, but many are strangely resistant to that, instead taking the Trumpist position by clinging onto a falsehood that the vaccine is an impenetrable shield that makes one safe from COVID-19, and anti-mask feelings that they just don't like wearing masks. So it's time to invoke polarization for the greater good. The overwhelmingly anti-Trump posters here need to know that they are supporting Trump by opposing mask mandates.

Sure, most of us hate Trump, but most of us hate the CCP more.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6654 on: September 03, 2021, 01:08:13 PM »

"I'm against masks to own the CCP" is the new "I'm against masks to own the libs"
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6655 on: September 03, 2021, 01:15:09 PM »

“Im against higher taxes so I am also against the existence of bagels.”
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6656 on: September 03, 2021, 01:15:54 PM »

"I'm against masks to own the CCP" is the new "I'm against masks to own the libs"

Compucomp is literally a CCP sympathizer if not outright member but go off.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6657 on: September 03, 2021, 01:35:00 PM »

“Kim Jong Un drinks water so I won’t drink water. Checkmate Atlas!”
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6658 on: September 03, 2021, 01:36:23 PM »

This isn't even about the mandates. The poster is encouraging polarization. Only someone who hates America and wants it to fall would want us to become more polarized than we already are.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #6659 on: September 03, 2021, 01:46:44 PM »

This isn't even about the mandates. The poster is encouraging polarization. Only someone who hates America and wants it to fall would want us to become more polarized than we already are.

But enough about Russian Bear.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #6660 on: September 03, 2021, 05:45:18 PM »

Florida Data Release came out!

Great news inside, with positivity rates continuing to fall statewide.

Cumulative Confirmed Cases: 3,308,916

AUG 05 - 2,725,958 (+134,917 New Weekly, +5.21%) (19.7% Positivity Rate)
AUG 12 - 2,877,402 (+151,444 New Weekly, +5.56%) (19.9% Positivity Rate)
AUG 19 - 3,027,824 (+150,222 New Weekly, +5.22%) (20.3% Positivity Rate)
AUG 26 - 3,179,676 (+151,852 New Weekly, +5.01%) (17.1% Positivity Rate)
SEP 03 - 3,308,916 (+129,240 New Weekly, +4.06%) (15.2% Positivity Rate)

Cumulative Confirmed Deaths: 46,324

As for deaths, I'll just show you all the graph, and not the actual numbers, because the numbers, they just don't add up. There's a lack of data here, so older deaths are constantly being added onto the logs, and not all the newer deaths are here yet.

Looks like unfortunately, deaths haven't peaked yet (to our knowledge). The bar showing the most deaths remains static two weeks before the release date.

It would seem most likely, though, that deaths should be peaking within the next week especially as positivity rates peaked two weeks ago.

Image Link
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6661 on: September 03, 2021, 05:49:08 PM »

So, my 87 year old grandpa, residing in a Florida assisted living home has now tested positive for COVID. Thankfully he is fully vaccinated, so I expect him to be okay in the end. But the poor guy is being taken two hours away to Jacksonville to be sequestered with other COVID positive seniors for at least two weeks. It's still not something that should be happening anymore. Furthermore; my aunt, dad, and grandma all had to get tested and quarantine until they get their results.

I've theorized that my grandpa got the virus from a worker at the home. Thanks, DeSuckass!
I've always, notoriously, loathed him; but now it's personal with me. F*** this incompetent scumbag!

As if I needed more to be angry about lately...I seriously feel like I'm losing my mind. I had a nice break from it for a short time, but we're right back to this country feeling like an apocalyptic wasteland to me...literally. People abandoned their cars on major highways here last night because of the tropical storm. Everything just sucks...my pig can't even make me feel better anymore.

I'm so sorry for you, I hope he has a strong recovery and you are ok. It's so stupid and wrong for staff working with vulnerable people not to be vaccinated.

Thanks. But that's Florida for you, I guess. I was pretty fortunate when it came to family members of mine getting the virus thus far, but I guess that luck can only last so long, and now the most vulnerable senior on both sides of my family got it.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #6662 on: September 03, 2021, 05:59:54 PM »

Maps directly comparing last week's preliminary county positivity rates with this week's preliminary positivity rates county-by-county in the state of Florida:

Image Link AUG 20 - AUG 26

Image Link AUG 27 - SEP 02

Miami-Dade drops fast and becomes the first county in Florida for many weeks to see it's positivity rate dip below the 10% mark.

Broward County drops fast from 12.9% to 10.5% (and also becomes the second-lowest figure statewide)

Palm Beach County likewise drops from from 13.9% to 12.6%.

Orange County drops from 14.9% to 13.4%

Hillsborough County's positivity rates loom high above the rest, yet they still drop going from 18.9% to 17.4%.

Duval County goes from 15.1% to 13.8%

The I-4 corridor once again experiences a massive drop as Pasco, Polk, and Hernando continue shooting down

As does the central panhandle counties (previously some of the highest statewide, many of them)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6663 on: September 03, 2021, 06:23:40 PM »

https://kfor.com/news/local/patients-overdosing-on-ivermectin-backing-up-rural-oklahoma-hospitals-ambulances/

SOUTHEASTERN OKLAHOMA, Okla. (KFOR) – A rural Oklahoma doctor said patients who are taking the horse de-wormer medication, ivermectin, to fight COVID-19 are causing emergency room and ambulance back ups.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6664 on: September 03, 2021, 06:37:27 PM »

https://kfor.com/news/local/patients-overdosing-on-ivermectin-backing-up-rural-oklahoma-hospitals-ambulances/

SOUTHEASTERN OKLAHOMA, Okla. (KFOR) – A rural Oklahoma doctor said patients who are taking the horse de-wormer medication, ivermectin, to fight COVID-19 are causing emergency room and ambulance back ups.

You can use this fact to try and appeal to the better natures of COVIDiots all you want, but they just don't care. They are beyond reason and even beyond the very basic, animalistic instinct of self-preservation. There is no winning with them.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6665 on: September 03, 2021, 06:47:37 PM »

This is literally what eugenicists were warning us about 100 years ago.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6666 on: September 03, 2021, 06:47:54 PM »

As if they didn't have enough problems trying to handle all the sick Covid patients, now they have this BS to contend with.
Good God.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #6667 on: September 03, 2021, 08:13:22 PM »

FWIW our university has a vaccine mandate for students and staff, and we are now two weeks into the new semester.  We have conducted about 2600 covid tests over the past 7 days, with 33 total cases and a positivity rate of 1.3%.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6668 on: September 03, 2021, 08:21:03 PM »

FWIW our university has a vaccine mandate for students and staff, and we are now two weeks into the new semester.  We have conducted about 2600 covid tests over the past 7 days, with 33 total cases and a positivity rate of 1.3%.

Is there any resistance to the mandate?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #6669 on: September 03, 2021, 08:52:36 PM »

Universities in Puerto Rico have been running for a month now with full vaccine mandates and cases are barely in the triple digits (out of approx. 40,000 students and faculty members), none of them serious.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #6670 on: September 03, 2021, 09:18:28 PM »

Is there any resistance to the mandate?

I haven’t heard any from fellow faculty and staff.  I’m not sure among the students, but the mandate for them was announced very early in the summer, so they’ve had a long time to either get it or drop out.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #6671 on: September 03, 2021, 09:56:51 PM »

Today was the first time since June 22-23 that the 7-day new case count in the U.S. dropped 2 days in a row.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6672 on: September 03, 2021, 10:49:51 PM »

Universities in Puerto Rico have been running for a month now with full vaccine mandates and cases are barely in the triple digits (out of approx. 40,000 students and faculty members), none of them serious.

What's the COVID situation like in general in Puerto Rico these days?  I love the island and would love to help your economy with my tourism dollars.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #6673 on: September 03, 2021, 10:57:22 PM »

What's the COVID situation like in general in Puerto Rico these days?  I love the island and would love to help your economy with my tourism dollars.

Quite under control, and the spike we had is going down quickly. We do follow strict masking indoors, and we have some of the highest vaccination rates in the nation.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #6674 on: September 04, 2021, 06:17:21 AM »

Australia (NSW and VIC) just had the highest two days of infections since the outbreak began.

We have about 4-6 weeks to wait before the warm weather comes back and the vaccinations start to take effect.

It will be interesting to find out if natural immunity to COVID-19 is more long lasting than Pfizer, Moderna or Astra Zeneca.

The people who have already been infected will be OK.

People who are vaccinated will be OK.

And then the humid Australian summer massively reduces transmission rates outdoors.

Pages: 1 ... 262 263 264 265 266 [267] 268 269 270 271 272 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies