COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 12:21:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 244 245 246 [247] 248 249 250 251 252 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 553951 times)
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6150 on: August 12, 2021, 11:04:29 PM »

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6151 on: August 12, 2021, 11:06:25 PM »

Again, if it weren’t for scientific ethics, I would argue we should have people arguing against masks indoors just willingly get exposed to Delta (with two control groups, one of no deliberate exposure and the D416G as a control) in varying viral loads. We obviously would pay them, and if they didn’t get sick  in numbers dramatically more significantly than the latter control, they would prove conclusively to the World that the vaccines still are extremely effective. It’s a win-win for everyone.

We probably do need more data, but I personally will err on the side of caution and encourage others who do not suffer from masks to wear them indoors as well. Not in support of mandates, but there is nothing wrong with encouragement.

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6152 on: August 13, 2021, 12:24:01 PM »

Video showing the dire situation of finding beds by nurses and health administrators in Texas.
The situation is very bad.
Please watch by clicking this link ... https://edition.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/08/13/texas-covid-lavandera-pkg-ac360-vpx.cnn
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6153 on: August 13, 2021, 06:47:44 PM »

'Your child will wait for another child to die.' Amid Covid-19 surge, Dallas County has no pediatric ICU beds left, county judge says

(CNN) -- Covid-19 cases and hospitalizations are surging and in Dallas County, Texas, there are "zero ICU beds left for children," county judge Clay Jenkins said in a news conference Friday morning.

"That means if your child's in a car wreck, if your child has a congenital heart defect or something and needs an ICU bed, or more likely if they have Covid and need an ICU bed, we don't have one. Your child will wait for another child to die," Jenkins said. "Your child will just not get on the ventilator, your child will be CareFlighted to Temple or Oklahoma City or wherever we can find them a bed, but they won't be getting one here unless one clears."

The judge added no ICU beds have been available for children for at least 24 hours. The Texas Department of State Health Services told CNN the shortage of pediatric ICU beds is related to a shortage in medical staff.

"Hospitals are licensed for a specific number of beds and most hospitals regularly staff fewer beds than they are licensed for. They can't use beds that aren't staffed. With the increase in COVID cases, hospitals are experiencing a shortage of people to staff the beds that they are licensed for," department spokesperson Lara Anton said in an email, adding that staffing agencies in the state are working on recruiting medical surge staff from across the US.

[...]

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/13/us/dallas-county-no-pediatric-icu-beds-left/index.html
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6154 on: August 13, 2021, 07:08:53 PM »

'Screw your freedom': Schwarzenegger calls out anti-vaxxers, and also calls them "schmucks."

Watch here: https://us.cnn.com/videos/health/2021/08/13/arnold-schwarzenegger-screw-your-freedom-anti-vax-mask-orig-kj.cnn/video/playlists/stories-worth-watching/
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6155 on: August 13, 2021, 11:10:02 PM »

155,000 cases today and 770 deaths, both peaks for this wave so far.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #6156 on: August 13, 2021, 11:10:57 PM »

God…when are cases going to level off? Seems like a new record is set everyday.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #6157 on: August 13, 2021, 11:21:52 PM »

Does anyone on this board know a single fully vaccinated person who has died of covid?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #6158 on: August 14, 2021, 06:14:13 AM »

Does anyone on this board know a single fully vaccinated person who has died of covid?

I don't personally know any vaccinated person who has even had covid.

Just before vaccines came out, I knew a lot of people who had it, but they just felt a little under the weather for a couple days.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #6159 on: August 14, 2021, 07:24:57 AM »

Remember when Newt Gingrich was the first major American figure to endorse lockdowns? Pepperidge Farm remembers. He wrote an article for Newsweek in March 2020 supporting lockdowns.

Why did so many Democrats latch on to this miserable idea after a Republican as miserable as the Newter supported it?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #6160 on: August 14, 2021, 07:43:15 AM »

I don't personally know any vaccinated person who has even had covid.

Just before vaccines came out, I knew a lot of people who had it, but they just felt a little under the weather for a couple days.

A co-worker of mine is currently sick and she's fully vaccinated.  She had a PCR test that showed negative, but then did a rapid test a day later that showed positive.  One of those tests is wrong.

Her symptoms are very mild.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6161 on: August 14, 2021, 07:46:22 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/12/health/moderna-vaccine-protection/index.html

Am I reading this right?  It says Moderna protects 96% against Delta.

But at six months, 96% of samples had a full antibody response against the Delta variant, the team found.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #6162 on: August 14, 2021, 08:54:40 AM »

I have seen some talk on Twitter that the positivity rate has been flattening this week, which can be a leading indicator that cases are about to peak.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6163 on: August 14, 2021, 10:21:58 AM »

People not already inoculated are getting scared -- enough that more people who rejected it before are taking the needle.

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6164 on: August 14, 2021, 10:27:01 AM »

People not already inoculated are getting scared -- enough that more people who rejected it before are taking the needle.

Not in my area.

Just yesterday, a Trumpster I work with was saying the vaccines are The Mark of the Beast. The other Trumpsters in the room fully agreed.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6165 on: August 14, 2021, 10:43:58 AM »

Not in my area.

Just yesterday, a Trumpster I work with was saying the vaccines are The Mark of the Beast. The other Trumpsters in the room fully agreed.

Maybe. They are still crazy.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #6166 on: August 14, 2021, 10:57:10 AM »

The mistake with the vaccination program all along has been in ever giving people a choice about it.

Back in December, the CDC should have mailed everyone a card with a vaccination date based on their age, and instructed them to appear at the vaccination site on that day, just like a jury duty summons.  And just like jury duty, it should have allowed them to reschedule once but if they just didn't show up, a warrant would be issued for their arrest. 

(We would also need to pass a law requiring employers to give all employees two days of paid leave around their vaccination date, and providing transportation if needed.)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6167 on: August 14, 2021, 12:24:43 PM »

Not in my area.

My wife works with some of those types too.  She tells me about their theories, and they're so ridiculous I can't help laughing.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6168 on: August 14, 2021, 01:31:50 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6169 on: August 14, 2021, 01:58:33 PM »

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6170 on: August 14, 2021, 02:17:57 PM »

I have seen some talk on Twitter that the positivity rate has been flattening this week, which can be a leading indicator that cases are about to peak.

ExtremeRepublican:
Help America. Help society and your local community. Talk to your friends and those in your Bible group who you have told us are stubborn and not getting their shots.
Tell them they are wrong, and that they need to do their part for all of us.
Right now, "America does not need Jesus Christ." Change your temp user name to "America needs to get their ass vaccinated."
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6171 on: August 14, 2021, 02:33:20 PM »

ExtremeRepublican:
Help America. Help society and your local community. Talk to your friends and those in your Bible group who you have told us are stubborn and not getting their shots.
Right now, "America does not need Jesus Christ." Change your temp user name to "America needs to get their ass vaccinated."

A better choice: "Jesus wants you to get vaccinated."
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6172 on: August 14, 2021, 03:11:14 PM »

ExtremeRepublican:

Smiley
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6173 on: August 14, 2021, 03:14:34 PM »

My great-uncle.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6174 on: August 14, 2021, 03:19:18 PM »

ExtremeRepublican:

Smiley

I’m a Christian and it’s extremely troubling hearing people say things like “Jesus is in control” or “if God wants me to die then I’ll die.” For the record, I agree with those statements, but God wants us to be responsible too.

And if you’re not getting vaccinated because you’ll die when God wants you to die, then why are you wearing a seatbelt? Why go to the hospital when you’re badly injured or sick? Why ever receive medical treatment of any kind?

Why is it just covid vaccines when these Christians say “no, I’m not getting it because I’ll die when God wants me to die?”

Jesus encouraged you to love your neighbor. Refusing to get vaccinated is the exact opposite.
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 244 245 246 [247] 248 249 250 251 252 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies