COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:12:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 392 393 394 [395] 396 397 398 399 400 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 552785 times)
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9850 on: February 07, 2022, 12:51:19 PM »

These photos are dystopian: The charismatic leader greeting the faceless masses!

I don't know how politicians who do this can live with themselves. Maybe it's just a lack of self-awareness, but even that says a great deal about them, i.e. that special treatment is such an entitlement to be unworthy of notice.

Let me emphasize that these were photo-ops. This isn't just an incidental capture of a day in the life. They reflect how her campaign wants her to be portrayed.
Skill and Chance was right we should have ran McBath
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9851 on: February 07, 2022, 01:19:18 PM »

Okay so, they're probably planning to lift it in the spring/summer if it becomes reasonable to do so, with the emphasized statement to the public that "you should expect a very realistic chance of it returning in the fall / winter but we'll see how things evolve between now and then".

Sounds... about right?

It should never be brought back, period.
Making definite statements about how safety protocols should be in the future despite not knowing what the conditions could be is foolish.

You would support seasonal mask mandates? Between this and permanent mask mandates, it's alarming to me that so many people are willing to accept a change such as this. But I've been predicting that this would be the case for some time now.
What I outlined was 2022 (one year), where Massachusetts might say "we are anticipating COVID to get bad in the autumn/winter, so we're just giving you a heads up that there MIGHT be a mask mandate coming up, unless we're wrong or unless science develops further and we can deal with this differently". That's not the same as a seasonal mask mandate. What I outlined, I would support, for sure.

EDIT - and I also want to add, you used the phrase "accept a change such as this". COVID has changed things forever, at least in small ways that we might not have to think about 99% of the time. Change has been thrust upon us. There is no option where we get to not accept any change. It's a done deal. Now that it's a done deal, and this reality is different than the reality of 3 years ago, I might be open-minded to making some other small change, part time (during a COVID surge for example) if it benefits myself and society.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #9852 on: February 07, 2022, 02:22:38 PM »

Why remove vax mandates? Mask mandates I get, but vax mandates aren't at all interfering with anyone's lives.

Restaurants and their representatives have been asking for it due to the burden of enforcing it, especially amidst staffing shortages.

Worth noting that it is also in effect at the county level here, and the Cook Co President has not spoken about whether she will roll it back at that level.

It's hilarious, I've sat down at about 8 bars/restaurants this month that didn't even ask and the remaining ones barely look two seconds at a blurry phone photo. Chinatown is especially amazing!
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9853 on: February 07, 2022, 03:43:12 PM »

Why remove vax mandates? Mask mandates I get, but vax mandates aren't at all interfering with anyone's lives.

Their move here proves that the entirety of Dems' behavior is based on horribly misguided optics rather than any sound reasoning.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9854 on: February 07, 2022, 04:40:10 PM »

You would think after record snow fall in various parts of the country over the past couple of months that you can not always eat outside.

***prior to vaccines I tended to oppose indoor dining as there was not "safe" way to eat indoors at that time. Take your mask off when eating? Covid droplets do not stop just because you are eating. lmaooooooo
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9855 on: February 07, 2022, 08:10:02 PM »

Something that should have been done in March 2020.  It has taken nearly two years for officials to show an interest in having accurate hospitalization data.

compucomp

« Reply #9856 on: February 07, 2022, 08:14:13 PM »

Something that should have been done in March 2020.  It has taken nearly two years for officials to show an interest in having accurate hospitalization data.

Biden officials are conducting a national review of hospitalization data to determine how many individuals sought care for Covid-19 and unrelated reasons during the peak of the Omicron spread. In one CDC report published last week, a California hospital found that 80 percent of its patients came into the facility for Covid-19 and 20 percent were admitted “primarily for non–COVID-19 conditions.”

So take a 20% haircut on the COVID hospitalization numbers, it's still far in excess of the seasonal flu. When this study concludes and it turns out this isn't the silver bullet you were looking for, what will be your next Trumpian ploy to try to convince people that COVID is not a threat? Claim that the hospitals are all in on a conspiracy to over-report COVID numbers to cheat the government for money?
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #9857 on: February 07, 2022, 09:40:09 PM »

https://abc7ny.com/vaccine-mandate-brooklyn-bridge-march-mask-appeal/11543304/
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9858 on: February 07, 2022, 09:41:00 PM »

Anyone who mandates masks should be required to name criteria that would have to be met in order to lift the mandate, at the time the mandate is put into effect
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9859 on: February 07, 2022, 09:59:58 PM »

Anyone who mandates masks should be required to name criteria that would have to be met in order to lift the mandate, at the time the mandate is put into effect
Governments shouldn't be forced to change their policies to make conspiracy theorists more comfortable.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9860 on: February 07, 2022, 10:01:24 PM »

Governments shouldn't be forced to change their policies to make conspiracy theorists more comfortable.
This would increase transparency, as with the status-quo it is pretty obvious that mandates are largely just off of politicians' whims, regardless of how much they say, they are "following the science"
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #9861 on: February 08, 2022, 12:09:19 AM »

This blows my mind. Vaccine mandates force people to get an injection (and forced me to take time off work due to the side effects), and to be enforced requires checking of vax cards and IDs or scanning QR codes, effectively adding a layer of "papers please" government surveillance everywhere. And you're arguing that mask mandates are interfering with people's lives when vaccine mandates don't? Masks actually make it HARDER for the government to track your actions!

The anti-vax, pro-mask left strikes again
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9862 on: February 08, 2022, 12:47:07 AM »

I actually agree. That way the logic is consistent.
compucomp

« Reply #9863 on: February 08, 2022, 12:48:45 AM »

This blows my mind. Vaccine mandates force people to get an injection (and forced me to take time off work due to the side effects), and to be enforced requires checking of vax cards and IDs or scanning QR codes, effectively adding a layer of "papers please" government surveillance everywhere. And you're arguing that mask mandates are interfering with people's lives when vaccine mandates don't? Masks actually make it HARDER for the government to track your actions!

I'm so anti-vaccine that last April I spent hours sitting on tracker sites trying to find open appointments in 3 states, and last fall I got a booster before I was even supposed to get one. I believe in defenses in depth and the vaccine is much better than nothing. But to say that the vaccine mandate is a frictionless mitigation that doesn't affect daily life, when it involves getting an injection that essentially causes COVID for a day, and adds a huge layer of "papers please" surveillance everywhere, while the mask mandate is a cumbersome mitigation that substantially affects daily life, is like saying the sun rises in the west. I support vaccine mandates, but there is a quite strong argument against vaccine mandates on privacy grounds, while the argument against mask mandates is "they look funny" and "they feel uncomfortable". There's a reason vaccine mandates run 10 points behind mask mandates in every poll, multiple Democratic politicians have openly criticized vaccine mandates as unjust while none have criticized mask mandates like that, and all 50 states have had a mask mandate.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #9864 on: February 08, 2022, 12:54:53 AM »

I'm so anti-vaccine that last April I spent hours sitting on tracker sites trying to find open appointments in 3 states, and last fall I got a booster before I was even supposed to get one. I believe in defenses in depth and the vaccine is much better than nothing. But to say that the vaccine mandate is a frictionless mitigation that doesn't affect daily life, when it involves getting an injection that essentially causes COVID for a day, and adds a huge layer of "papers please" surveillance everywhere, while the mask mandate is a cumbersome mitigation that substantially affects daily life, is like saying the sun rises in the west. I support vaccine mandates, but there is a quite strong argument against vaccine mandates on privacy grounds, while the argument against mask mandates is "they look funny" and "they feel uncomfortable". There's a reason vaccine mandates run 10 points behind mask mandates in every poll, multiple Democratic politicians have openly criticized vaccine mandates as unjust while none have criticized mask mandates like that, and all 50 states have had a mask mandate.

The last part is completely untrue.  Several red states never had statewide mask mandates.  Tennessee never did (my county technically did for a few months, but it was never really enforced).
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #9865 on: February 08, 2022, 01:25:54 AM »

Maybe it did for you, but that is nowhere near a universal experience. I had no side effects beyond a sore arm for all three shots. And "surveillance"? Please. The government isn't the one enforcing a vaxx mandate, it's the stores/restaurants themselves, and nobody is surveilling anyone. Showing a picture of your vaxx card before going into a bar is not 1984.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #9866 on: February 08, 2022, 01:34:01 AM »

The state of Nevada did specify criteria for lifiting the Las Vegas (i.e. Clark County) mandate.  But they set the case rate criteria so high that I don’t see it being met for years.  That’s not to say LV will have a mandate for years, just that they will almost certainly need to override their own criteria to do so.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9867 on: February 08, 2022, 02:42:43 AM »

PLEASE WATCH.

60 Minutes (show)
Staff shortages, COVID patients pushing hospitals to breaking point.

Click here to watch ... https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-hospital-staff-shortages-60-minutes-2022-02-06/

If you missed last Sunday's episode, please watch this story regarding how some hospitals and staff are suffering from the latest surge. It is only about 14 minutes long.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #9868 on: February 08, 2022, 03:23:18 AM »

...it involves getting an injection that essentially causes COVID for a day, and adds a huge layer of "papers please" surveillance everywhere...

COVID must be pretty bad, because my Moderna booster shot destroyed me for 2 days. Splitting headache, gut ache, nausea. I cannot imagine that the virus would be much worse.

I have not had a gut ache in over 10 years,m and each COVID vaccine shot just destroyed me.

But all better now.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9869 on: February 08, 2022, 07:02:05 AM »

I don't understand those who are anti-vaccine, whether they are pro-mask or anti-mask, and regardless of which side of the political spectrum they fall on.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9870 on: February 08, 2022, 07:03:29 AM »

I don't understand those who are anti-vaccine, whether they are pro-mask or anti-mask, and regardless of which side of the political spectrum they fall on.
They're either conspiracy theorists, anti-science, lack logic or are extremely cognitively dissonant.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #9871 on: February 08, 2022, 07:31:55 AM »

It's not that complicated, pro-mask anti-vaxers inevitably meme themselves into this positioning because to accept that the vaccines work and have ended the pandemic would mean that there's no longer any rationale for the permanent authoritarian restrictions on human life that they've been salivating about for two years plus.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9872 on: February 08, 2022, 08:13:01 AM »

So does anyone here have any explanation why there have not been the mass deaths of children in Chicago Public Schools that were promised if their schools were held in person?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9873 on: February 08, 2022, 08:38:59 AM »

So does anyone here have any explanation why there have not been the mass deaths of children in Chicago Public Schools that were promised if their schools were held in person?
Nobody said that. Put down the pipe.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9874 on: February 08, 2022, 08:42:01 AM »

Nobody said that. Put down the pipe.

Uh they did.

Read twitter sometimes.
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 392 393 394 [395] 396 397 398 399 400 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies