COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 11:54:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 271525 times)
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2000 on: May 13, 2020, 12:46:55 AM »

In vaccine news Oxford is so far they're reporting those who got the actual vaccine in their study are doing fine and none showed any bad effects So far 4 Vaccine candidates are doing well one from Pfizer, Oxford, Moderna and Sinovac Biotech.

Though I don't expect a vaccine to be distributed before years end

I can see one being given before years end to vulnerable people if it's approved before November, which seems plausible.

What is hitting me so hard is the historic implications of reaching a vaccine this fast. Even if a vaccine couldn't be found for two years, it would still be an epic milestone for humanity unlike any other.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2001 on: May 13, 2020, 12:49:22 AM »

Somebody did not stay calm. Someone got a broken arm. Someone is likely to get a particularly severe lockdown that will probably outlast COVID-19.  

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/05/12/target-store-mask-fight-orig-mg.cnn
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2002 on: May 13, 2020, 01:37:37 AM »

Something needs to be done about the California menace making decisions that impact the other 90% of us. Cancelling school for the fall semester is unacceptable. Severe repercussions are sorely needed for these traitors.
How DARE they act in the interest of public safety? Disgusting.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2003 on: May 13, 2020, 01:58:13 AM »

California Mayor is apparently trying to push the stay at home order through July (which isn't going to be necessary due to the case trend). Hopefully he realizes what that means and he will come back to reality, but expect riots if he doesn't.

I highly doubt there will be riots for that. I think most people have been expecting long lockdowns for a while now.

Through July? Lol no

It would be incredible if everything goes back to normal by the end of July.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2004 on: May 13, 2020, 02:14:53 AM »

California Mayor is apparently trying to push the stay at home order through July (which isn't going to be necessary due to the case trend). Hopefully he realizes what that means and he will come back to reality, but expect riots if he doesn't.

I highly doubt there will be riots for that. I think most people have been expecting long lockdowns for a while now.

Through July? Lol no

Keep telling yourself that.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2005 on: May 13, 2020, 03:55:17 AM »

Through July? Lol no

Keep telling yourself that.

That site assumes a lockdown until at least August 4th.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2006 on: May 13, 2020, 06:53:38 AM »

Through July? Lol no

Yeah, 4+ months of stay-at-home orders will not be tolerated well by many.

Too bad for them.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2007 on: May 13, 2020, 07:13:38 AM »

Through July? Lol no

Too bad for them.

You must be one of those who prioritizes fighting the virus over gradually reopening the economy, a reopening process that would be attended with precautions. We've already seen the negative, and extensive economic impacts from the few months of shutdowns we've had. I think it would be in LA County's interest to adopt a "safer-at-home", phased reopening approach, similar to that occurring here in Colorado.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2008 on: May 13, 2020, 07:42:17 AM »

Something needs to be done about the California menace making decisions that impact the other 90% of us. Cancelling school for the fall semester is unacceptable. Severe repercussions are sorely needed for these traitors.

Indeed, let the poor burn good and thorough.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #2009 on: May 13, 2020, 07:57:32 AM »

Indeed, let the poor burn good and thorough.

Ah, CT, the newest amendment to the Hippocratic Oath!
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2010 on: May 13, 2020, 08:28:08 AM »

Certain Governors and Mayors are really letting their authoritarian instincts show. If states like Colorado and Georgia are able to keep the virus under control while cautiously reopening, no way do these hard lockdowns last for months more without the use of force.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #2011 on: May 13, 2020, 08:45:49 AM »

Certain Governors and Mayors are really letting their authoritarian instincts show. If states like Colorado and Georgia are able to keep the virus under control while cautiously reopening, no way do these hard lockdowns last for months more without the use of force.

Montana may very well be the best example of reducing this virus while letting things open.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2012 on: May 13, 2020, 09:17:22 AM »

Montana may very well be the best example of reducing this virus while letting things open.

And Montana and Colorado have Democratic Governors. As I've said before, Polis has done a good job of balancing public health with economic considerations, and has certainly had a clearer direction, in terms of how reopening will proceed, than many of his colleagues.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2013 on: May 13, 2020, 09:27:18 AM »

Badger seems to have nailed the Trump administration response in this post from two months ago:
Donald standing up when needed.

To continue to maintain the lowest infection rate of Coronvirus in the northern hemisphere, this is a very wise move.

Immediate payroll tax relief is necessary for people losing income.

I am not sure whether he is going to stop it, but it is a very strong initial move to stop the influx of Europeans into the USA.
For gods sake! You can’t officially have a high infection rate if you don’t damn test people!

Good God. Just dawned on me that could be the , and I use this term very very Loosely, strategy of Trumps Administration? Think about it. The administration shares 3 near ubiquitous modus operandi. 1, nothing is ever ever ever President Trump's fault. Two, if there's a problem which arguably can't be passed on to someone else, the problem doesn't exist. Three, the full weight of the executive Branch's power will always be brought to bear for reinforcing and supporting modus operandi 1 and 2. Examples of this third modus operandi include Using taxpayer dollars to subsidize farmers stupid screwed by Trump shooting himself in the country in the foot with his idiotic protectionist trade policies. Or doing everything humanly possible to bully the Federal Reserve to stimulate the economy , when just about every professional economist says that would be a stupid idea, just to get us through November's election and damn the consequences afterwards.

One does not need a tin foil hat to realistically hypothesize that the Administration's reluctance to free coronavirus testing goes hand-in-hand with everything and anything the Trump Administration has ever done to deny any problems whatsoever in Donnie's Fantasyland America Beyond bad unfair Democrats and fake media, plus immigrants from s******* countries of course. And being able to claim, Plus have Fox News and Facebook memes continually repeat, that there is a low infection rate by making sure it stays level with a paucity of testing, is all too consistent with everything and anything coming out of the White House for the last three years.

Of course this begs the argument that if widespread testing isn't done then the virus will spread and cause Trump further political damage in the long run than addressing the problem the first place. However this also goes to the 4th and 5th most common modus operandi from the Trump Administration. One absolutely zero futurd planning as opposed to making s*** up as they go along in an inevitably dumpster fire fashion, and then blaming things on Democrats and fake news when things go wrong. Finally of course complete and total indifference to what happens to anyone other than they and their immediate circle of friends and family.

Today:

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2014 on: May 13, 2020, 09:30:33 AM »

And Montana and Colorado have Democratic Governors. As I've said before, Polis has done a good job of balancing public health with economic considerations, and has certainly had a clearer direction, in terms of how reopening will proceed, than many of his colleagues.

On the one hand, the downside risk in California is particularly severe.  It's easy to imagine SF (2nd highest transit ridership after NYC) or L.A. turning into an NYC/Lombardy situation very quickly if left unattended.   On the other hand, the situation is pretty clearly improving in warm, sunny states and it's quite a stretch to say things will be worse in July.  A better plan may be to open up as much as possible in the summer with a plan in their back pockets to shut down on a moment's notice if things get out of hand with the first cold front in October.  
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2015 on: May 13, 2020, 10:23:12 AM »

Through July? Lol no

Too bad for them.

You must be one of those who prioritizes fighting the virus over gradually reopening the economy, a reopening process that would be attended with precautions. We've already seen the negative, and extensive economic impacts from the few months of shutdowns we've had. I think it would be in LA County's interest to adopt a "safer-at-home", phased reopening approach, similar to that occurring here in Colorado.

We are absolutely nowhere near prepared to reopen; look what is already happening to countries who’ve checked all the right boxes in order to reopen, yet are already seeing signs of a second wave. America half-assed its lockdowns, we have a large segment of our population unwilling to even wear a simple mask in public, have nowhere near enough PPE, and people think we are in any way prepared to begin reopening?
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2016 on: May 13, 2020, 10:38:49 AM »

Can we stop pretending this is a seasonal virus?

It is more about density. Normally dense cities and urbanism is good but not for a pandemic!
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2017 on: May 13, 2020, 10:39:17 AM »

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2018 on: May 13, 2020, 10:48:10 AM »

Wow, the UK is in a really dark place.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2019 on: May 13, 2020, 11:04:30 AM »

Through July? Lol no

Too bad for them.

We are absolutely nowhere near prepared to reopen; look what is already happening to countries who’ve checked all the right boxes in order to reopen, yet are already seeing signs of a second wave. America half-assed its lockdowns, we have a large segment of our population unwilling to even wear a simple mask in public, have nowhere near enough PPE, and people think we are in any way prepared to begin reopening?

I'm certainly aware of the issues which we have seen for our reopening process, and it has been said for quite some time that there will be a second wave. However, would you advocate keeping large segments of the economy shuttered down for several months more? Let's say that we were to do that. What would be the economic consequences? The public health consequences? And by "public health consequences", I mean the risks associated with suicide, domestic violence, and other life-threatening diseases such as cancer and heart disease. These are in addition to the risks posed by coronavirus itself.

At some point, people will be forced to consider-as I've said before-their financial well-being, and balance it with concerns for their health. And many small business owners and workers cannot afford to be kept out of business for the duration which you propose. Unless if you welcome 30% unemployment, that is. And I'm certain, knowing your viewpoints, that you wouldn't.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2020 on: May 13, 2020, 11:06:07 AM »

Through July? Lol no

Too bad for them.

There is literally no evidence that countries that reopened are seeing second surges. Iran saw a little bump but that appears to be going down now. As for states that have re opened, there's no bumps.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2021 on: May 13, 2020, 11:31:25 AM »

LOL Russia.
I guess Putin could give a tip or two to his lapdog about how to conceal a few thousand coronavirus deaths.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2022 on: May 13, 2020, 12:19:35 PM »

Through July? Lol no

Too bad for them.

I'm certainly aware of the issues which we have seen for our reopening process, and it has been said for quite some time that there will be a second wave. However, would you advocate keeping large segments of the economy shuttered down for several months more? Let's say that we were to do that. What would be the economic consequences? The public health consequences? And by "public health consequences", I mean the risks associated with suicide, domestic violence, and other life-threatening diseases such as cancer and heart disease. These are in addition to the risks posed by coronavirus itself.

At some point, people will be forced to consider-as I've said before-their financial well-being, and balance it with concerns for their health. And many small business owners and workers cannot afford to be kept out of business for the duration which you propose. Unless if you welcome 30% unemployment, that is. And I'm certain, knowing your viewpoints, that you wouldn't.

You’re so close to a class conscious position, but you just can’t bring yourself over that line, huh? The response to that unfortunate situation is for the government to finally assume responsibility of securing people’s livelihoods. A few billionaires made obscene amounts of money during this crisis; as have other corporations and individuals well positioned to benefit. It’s time to halt this war of capitalists against workers; trying to coerce working people into sacrificing their wellbeing to maintain profits and this corrupt economic system. Anything short of shifting the burden onto the rich and privileged to secure the livelihoods of working people is unacceptable and will result in only more death and economic hardship.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2023 on: May 13, 2020, 02:05:31 PM »

Through July? Lol no

Too bad for them.

You’re so close to a class conscious position, but you just can’t bring yourself over that line, huh? The response to that unfortunate situation is for the government to finally assume responsibility of securing people’s livelihoods. A few billionaires made obscene amounts of money during this crisis; as have other corporations and individuals well positioned to benefit. It’s time to halt this war of capitalists against workers; trying to coerce working people into sacrificing their wellbeing to maintain profits and this corrupt economic system. Anything short of shifting the burden onto the rich and privileged to secure the livelihoods of working people is unacceptable and will result in only more death and economic hardship.
We do eventually have to reopen. Now, I will argue we are doing it stupidly, and any reopening should probably include mask laws (I have changed my stance on this due to the inability of the American people to act sanely) and enforcement of social distancing when possible, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t  reopen. We can talk about government social networks as a way to alleviate some of the damage, but we can’t stay closed forever. FWIW, I do think Los Angeles should remain locked down now.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2024 on: May 13, 2020, 02:13:57 PM »

Spain just completed a nationwide seroprevalence test, testing 90,000 people over the course of more than two weeks.

They found that 5% of their population had been infected.  

This would be about nine times the number of confirmed cases, which seems very plausible to me given that Spain has tested significantly more people per capita than any other large country.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/05/13/world/europe/13reuters-health-coronavirus-spain-study.html

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies