2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 04:01:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida  (Read 58341 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: May 09, 2022, 02:16:11 PM »

The 2nd circuit goes all the way down to Florida? Really?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #801 on: May 09, 2022, 02:22:08 PM »

2nd circuit state court, it covers the Leon County region.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #802 on: May 09, 2022, 02:25:31 PM »

2nd circuit state court, it covers the Leon County region.

I thought that might be the case, and thanks.

In other news, there have been about 50 [120] filings in the last hour with a certain court in Bath NY.
It's wild.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #803 on: May 09, 2022, 04:20:59 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2022, 05:05:30 PM by lfromnj »

https://www.democracydocket.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/2022-05-09-DEFENDANT-SECRETARY-OF-STATE-LAUREL-M.-LEES-RESPONSE-IN-OPPOSITION-TO-PLAINTIFFS-MOTION-FOR-TEMPORARY-INJUNCTION.pdf

Here is the states response to the preliminary injunction request.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #804 on: May 11, 2022, 07:51:57 AM »

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #805 on: May 11, 2022, 10:23:21 AM »

Judge so far effectively has given plaintiffs the win on grounds of timing . He is willing to strike the map down if the plaintiffs prove their case.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #806 on: May 11, 2022, 11:35:18 AM »

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #807 on: May 11, 2022, 11:40:47 AM »

Maybe the FL SC won’t go the hack route after all.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #808 on: May 11, 2022, 12:51:48 PM »

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #809 on: May 11, 2022, 12:56:20 PM »

FL-5 was always going to be the hardest district to get through the courts.   They can probably get away with the Tampa seats and FL-7.
kwabbit

« Reply #810 on: May 11, 2022, 11:51:22 PM »

I wish they would replace DeSantis' set up with a maximally Black Duval district instead of the Lawson snake. Lawson is from Tallahassee, but he could probably just jump over into a Duval based district.

Surprised the Dems didn't go for redraws of Tampa or Orlando, although the racial element is quite weak there.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #811 on: May 12, 2022, 12:23:00 AM »
« Edited: May 12, 2022, 12:28:52 AM by Devils30 »

I wish they would replace DeSantis' set up with a maximally Black Duval district instead of the Lawson snake. Lawson is from Tallahassee, but he could probably just jump over into a Duval based district.

Surprised the Dems didn't go for redraws of Tampa or Orlando, although the racial element is quite weak there.

They did...Tampa and Orlando is a separate trial. I expect those to be struck down as well. Can see the FL Supreme Court doing the Duval FL-5 and making FL-13 like a Biden +1 seat while leaving the GOP's FL-7 and 15.

Republicans would have been smart to just pass the 20-8 map originally. Leaving a paper trail makes it difficult for the court to ignore what happened after DeSantis made threats. This issue is all about statutory interpretation...it's pretty clear what the fair districts amendment says.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #812 on: May 12, 2022, 08:51:51 AM »

I now accept my accolades!
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #813 on: May 16, 2022, 05:07:47 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2022, 05:15:29 PM by GALeftist »

So as of now I believe the Tallahassee-to-Jax district is back, with the rest of the map unchanged except insofar as is needed to accommodate that. Now the state will apply for a new stay in the 1st District and simultaneously the 1st District decides whether to pass the case to the FLSC or hear it itself.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #814 on: May 16, 2022, 05:49:54 PM »

Why on earth wouldn’t they just challenge the whole map?

It’s a real shame if EITHER Florida or Ohio went Dems way the national map would be (almost) not catastrophic this year and great in other yesrs
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #815 on: May 16, 2022, 06:03:31 PM »

It’s a real shame if EITHER Florida or Ohio went Dems way the national map would be (almost) not catastrophic this year and great in other yesrs

IIRC, they did but Tampa-St. Pete and Orlando are a different trial.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #816 on: May 16, 2022, 07:23:06 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2022, 07:44:36 PM by RussFeingoldWasRobbed »

I'm just worried about SCOTUS here. Could the lower courts get around that by suggesting the compact Jacksonville district instead?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #817 on: May 16, 2022, 08:11:24 PM »

I'm just worried about SCOTUS here. Could the lower courts get around that by suggesting the compact Jacksonville district instead?

That's what I wish they'd do from the start but Jacksonville isn't really a solid performing district while the current FL 5 is uncompact. The main argument seems to be that it violates the state anti-gerrymandering provisions not really national. Based on national metrics you'll have a hard time arguing this map vioaltes VRA.
lividnyx
Rookie
United States

P P P
« Reply #818 on: May 19, 2022, 12:12:42 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2022, 06:08:13 PM by lividnyx »

They are. They're also going to trial on districts 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, 13, 14, 27, and 28 on intentional minority vote dilution, partisan gerrymandering, non-compactness, and failure to follow political/geographic boundaries.

I can't seem to find where I read this, but I believe the reasoning for only seeking an injunction for NoFL is that the Florida judiciary reads the Fair Districts Amendment in the following way: diminishing racial or language minorities' ability to elect representatives is unconstitutional, whether it was intended or not, but "favoring or disfavoring" a party over another requires plaintiffs to prove intent.

I want to say it was one of Nicholas Warren, Andrew Pantazi, or FiveThirtyEight that said that, but don't quote me on it
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #819 on: May 19, 2022, 02:34:58 PM »

They are. They're also going to trial on districts 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, 13, 14, 27, and 28 on intentional minority vote dilution, partisan gerrymandering, non-compact, and failure to follow political/geographic boundaries.

I can't seem to find where I read this, but I believe the reasoning for only seeking an injunction for NoFL is that the Florida judiciary reads the Fair Districts Amendment in the following way: diminishing racial or language minorities' ability to elect representatives is unconstitutional, whether it was intended or not, but "favoring or disfavoring" a party over another requires plaintiffs to prove intent.

I want to say it was one of Nicholas Warren, Andrew Pantazi, or FiveThirtyEight that said that, but don't quote me on it

Welcome to the forum!
lividnyx
Rookie
United States

P P P
« Reply #820 on: May 19, 2022, 04:01:21 PM »

Thanks!
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #821 on: May 20, 2022, 10:20:24 AM »

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #822 on: May 20, 2022, 10:29:35 AM »
« Edited: May 20, 2022, 10:32:57 AM by lfromnj »

They are. They're also going to trial on districts 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, 13, 14, 27, and 28 on intentional minority vote dilution, partisan gerrymandering, non-compactness, and failure to follow political/geographic boundaries.

Not exactly, the thing is in FL 5th the facts of the case aren't really in dispute say compared to FL 10th. DeSantis flat out admitted he diluted FL 5th under the argument of the Equal Protection Clause which isn't completely bs. Now the question is what should be done with relatively clear precedent from the FL supreme court in 2016 but also a bunch of more vague precedent that supercedes any FL supreme court precedent from SCOTUS. DeSantis is arguing the entire dilution of minorities clause is unconstitutional under the US constitution.  This is more of a strech. The safest map was what the legislature put out with the Duval only seat. That was very compact although it did require a minor donut district for the burbs. Under this argument there is still dilution of the black vote but to a lesser degree and it is more secure under the Federal constitution. Now the reason why Democrats can't argue for this is because Al Lawson probably won't win a Duval only seat.
lividnyx
Rookie
United States

P P P
« Reply #823 on: May 20, 2022, 11:20:15 AM »

Now the reason why Democrats can't argue for this is because Al Lawson probably won't win a Duval only seat.
That's a bit of a stretch. CD5 in H000C8019 voted for Biden 55-43, about 8pts more Democratic than the nation as a whole. And with the GOP only up about 2pts in the polls and Lawson's incumbency advantage, he would definitely be a favorite in a Duval-only CD5.

In fact, it was conservatives who originally attempted to gerrymander CD5 based on race, and the Florida Supreme Court struck down the 2013-2017 map, at least in part, because they packed black voters into a serpentine CD5, rather than draw a district which protected, but didn't dilute, the votes of black Americans while giving voice to a geographic community.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #824 on: May 20, 2022, 11:21:45 AM »

Now the reason why Democrats can't argue for this is because Al Lawson probably won't win a Duval only seat.
That's a bit of a stretch. CD5 in H000C8019 voted for Biden 55-43, about 8pts more Democratic than the nation as a whole. And with the GOP only up about 2pts in the polls and Lawson's incumbency advantage, he would definitely be a favorite in a Duval-only CD5.

In fact, it was conservatives who originally attempted to gerrymander CD5 based on race, and the Florida Supreme Court struck down the 2013-2017 map, at least in part, because they packed black voters into a serpentine CD5, rather than draw a district which protected, but didn't dilute, the votes of black Americans while giving voice to a geographic community.

I said it wouldn't vote for Al Lawson as in a primary election as he doesn't too well in Duval in the primary. One of the only Democrats to vote for the legislatures original map was a state senator from Jacksonville suggesting a primary challenge.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies