2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:55:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida  (Read 58201 times)
lividnyx
Rookie
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: May 20, 2022, 11:46:54 AM »
« edited: May 21, 2022, 06:08:04 AM by lividnyx »

I said it wouldn't vote for Al Lawson as in a primary election as he doesn't too well in Duval in the primary. One of the only Democrats to vote for the legislatures original map was a state senator from Jacksonville suggesting a primary challenge.
Fair enough, though I don't really think your criticism is with Democrats in general then. Seems to me that Dems would care a lot more about picking up a blue district than the specific person that district chooses to be its rep.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #826 on: May 20, 2022, 12:04:50 PM »

Welcome to ping pong
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #827 on: May 20, 2022, 08:12:58 PM »

I am still confident this map will be struck down by SCOFL
lividnyx
Rookie
United States

P P P
« Reply #828 on: May 25, 2022, 05:28:41 AM »

SCOFL has ordered a briefing schedule. Byrd & other respondents have until Friday to respond to BVM's petition to affirm Judge Smith's injunction.

BVM's Petition:
https://efactssc-public.flcourts.org/casedocuments/2022/685/2022-685_petition_80202_petition2dall20writs.pdf
SCOFL's Order:
https://efactssc-public.flcourts.org/casedocuments/2022/685/2022-685_order_254279_o03cd.pdf
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #829 on: May 25, 2022, 07:15:13 AM »

I am still confident this map will be struck down by SCOFL

You are batsh**t crazy with this take lol

AT best they’ll strike it in theory but essentially make it so the map stands anyway
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #830 on: June 02, 2022, 10:29:13 AM »

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #831 on: June 02, 2022, 11:44:00 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2022, 11:47:26 AM by ProgressiveModerate »

Based Labarga.

Fr though that’s such a cop out on the courts part, to say they don’t have jurisdiction over it.

I know a bunch of people are gonna start comparing this to NY, but tbf, NY Dems map was truly worse than Floridas R from basically every metric. Florida Rs were just a lot smarter. I hope the map backfires on them as they seem a bit cocky with Miami and Tampa specifically.

Texas is prolly the next legal Avenue Dems should go down. It likely won’t be very fruitful but there is a serious case R violated VRA, namely in San Antonio and DFW. If the court just redraws a small chunk of the map, it could make TX-28 redder but in exchange for a safe D San Antonio seat.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #832 on: June 02, 2022, 11:52:36 AM »

Based Labarga.

Fr though that’s such a cop out on the courts part, to say they don’t have jurisdiction over it.

I know a bunch of people are gonna start comparing this to NY, but tbf, NY Dems map was truly worse than Floridas R from basically every metric. Florida Rs were just a lot smarter. I hope the map backfires on them as they seem a bit cocky with Miami and Tampa specifically.

Texas is prolly the next legal Avenue Dems should go down. It likely won’t be very fruitful but there is a serious case R violated VRA, namely in San Antonio and DFW. If the court just redraws a small chunk of the map, it could make TX-28 redder but in exchange for a safe D San Antonio seat.

No offense, but I’m genuinely not sure what you’re talking about Re: FL vs. NY.  The FL gerrymander is one of the worst in the country (although not as bad as TX or OH).  The NY map was a mild-to-medium gerrymander.  
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #833 on: June 02, 2022, 12:09:26 PM »

Based Labarga.

No offense, but I’m genuinely not sure what you’re talking about Re: FL vs. NY.  The FL gerrymander is one of the worst in the country (although not as bad as TX or OH).  The NY map was a mild-to-medium gerrymander.  

In terms of partisan outcome they’re similar levels of gerrymandered.

However, the FL map at least makes attempts to follow COIs, County lines, and have some competitive districts. They def made a lot of favorable decisions but didn’t maximize the gerrymander everywhere. NYdems map was horrendous for what it accomplished
UncleSam

« Reply #834 on: June 02, 2022, 04:46:55 PM »

Based Labarga.

Maybe in terms of the efficiency gap, but in terms of county lines, COI, compactness, and just the good old basic eye test the Fl map was definitely less of a travesty. Doesn't make it anything other than a strong R gerrymander of course, but Fl Rs played their hand well while NY Ds basically just said 'the courts are filled with our appointees so we're not even going to pretend to draw reasonable maps'.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #835 on: June 03, 2022, 09:23:58 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2022, 09:43:32 PM by lfromnj »

The key difference between the 2 maps really comes from incumbent demands. Like Joe Morelle demanding the safest possible Rochester district really made the map so much more ugly for example. Even Ohio is pretty similar. Although everyone can agree any district not based entirely within Hamilton is a gerrymander,  a cleaner gerrymander could have been made using Clermont county instead of placing Ohio 1st with Warren County. The DeSantis map doesn't really do much for any incumbents other than South Florida which isn't even his proposal as it's just copied from the legislature.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #836 on: June 04, 2022, 12:47:45 PM »

I’m stunned. Never saw it coming
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #837 on: February 21, 2023, 12:48:24 PM »

Thoughts on this map?

https://davesredistricting.org/join/4530af88-20c7-441c-a993-3089f3d1fc57
BenjiG98
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.00, S: -2.26

P P P
« Reply #838 on: February 21, 2023, 01:45:56 PM »

That looks really good. Not 100% sold on the Lee County seat but this is a great map.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #839 on: March 07, 2023, 12:56:07 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2023, 03:15:01 PM by lfromnj »

Does confirm the primary threats behind the scenes.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #840 on: March 08, 2023, 12:50:36 PM »

Why do people actually link to tweets instead of just embedding them now?

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #841 on: March 08, 2023, 09:00:36 PM »

Why do people actually link to tweets instead of just embedding them now?

I meant to link the tweet. Just realized I pressed quote instead of the tweet button.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #842 on: August 12, 2023, 04:53:47 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2023, 07:52:38 AM by Oryxslayer »

FL-05, or something similar to the previous African American north Florida access seat, may be returning very soon. State court case is going to trial soon, but the plaintiffs and the state defendants  have agreed to a pretrial semi-settlement.

The plaintiffs drop their challenges to districts in the Tampa and Orlando area to narrow in on the north. The state agrees to: a expedited schedule and potential remapping when the session restarts in January,  agrees that if the court accepts the plaintiffs arguments on the state's own non-retrogression laws (very likely in light of this) the remedial district will be Tallahassee to Duval, and the state defendants publicly state for the legal record that “none of the enacted districts in North Florida are districts in which Black voters have the ability to elect their preferred candidates.” Parties agree to limit potential remapping solely to North Florida and only districts that would be affected by recreating the previous access seat.

Al Lawson has publicly stated he intends to return.  

In a roundabout way, this is more fallout from Milligan. DeSantis justified his map on restoring compactness, but mainly on the potential for a Supreme Court ruling that would vindicate him in regards to Gingles and gerrymandering. Legally he argues that the 2010 equity protections amendments to the constitution violate the US Constitution, but the Supreme Court didn't rule the VRA against the constitution, and said amendments copy the VRA for the state. With that not happening, he has little defense in regards to the former 5th specifically.  So the plaintiffs see a chance to get that district done now, and not have it remain in limbo as their other claims lead to the case remaining in and working its way up through the state system till probably the 2026 elections at the earliest.  

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #843 on: August 13, 2023, 10:36:48 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2023, 10:51:28 PM by Nyvin »

Now that the crackpot theorycrafting by DeSantis is dead via Allen v. Milligan not going his way, the defendants realize the North Florida districts (not having any black opportunity district) are indefensible due to the retrogression (or "diminishment") wording in the Fair Districts amendment.  

So now the FLGOP wants to declare the entire retrogression section of the Fair Districts amendment (along with any racial representation rules) unconstitutional, which is idiocy.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #844 on: August 13, 2023, 11:10:01 PM »

Now that the crackpot theorycrafting by DeSantis is dead via Allen v. Milligan not going his way, the defendants realize the North Florida districts (not having any black opportunity district) are indefensible due to the retrogression (or "diminishment") wording in the Fair Districts amendment.  

So now the FLGOP wants to declare the entire retrogression section of the Fair Districts amendment (along with any racial representation rules) unconstitutional, which is idiocy.

Yeah they would need a truly activist hack judge to do that, especially since people voted it into the constitution by over 60% in 2010 of all years. Which is why I suspect this agreement is everything but an out of court settlement when its comes to the 5th. This is of course because the state Defendant is running for President and can't appear to be settling to liberals benefit. he instead needs to appear ordered by a court for trying so he can cliam "to have his hands tied by activist hack judges."
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #845 on: August 15, 2023, 11:13:13 PM »

I'm actually a little confused about what's going on here. Does any settlement on restoring the old FL-05 obviate other challenges to the map? The way FL-13 and FL-14 are drawn is one of the more unquestionably hackish aspects of the map. On the other hand, the courts in Florida are pretty bad now, aren't they?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #846 on: August 15, 2023, 11:36:11 PM »

I'm actually a little confused about what's going on here. Does any settlement on restoring the old FL-05 obviate other challenges to the map? The way FL-13 and FL-14 are drawn is one of the more unquestionably hackish aspects of the map. On the other hand, the courts in Florida are pretty bad now, aren't they?

Well there is a separate suit in federal court, this is the state challenges. So there's always that.

This agreement explicitly has the plaintiffs drop challenges to Tampa and Orlando, yes. The bead that I get, especially since the plaintiffs are openly happy with this outcome, is that FL-05 is is all but an auto-win at this point since it concerns the minority access and retrogression sections. Whereas the other areas focus on the gerrymandering and COI sections, and that's the type of thing that will be litigated all the way to the State Supreme Court. So the plaintiffs preferred approach is seemingly get one district resolved now for 2024, then go again for the districts that would tie everything up for a longer period, rather then have FL-05 remain tied and delayed through the longer litigation.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #847 on: August 16, 2023, 10:43:20 AM »

MCI Maps, the Florida politics and data jockey, has a good Substack on the topic and agreement and the situation concerning the state case. One thing that I forgot to mention in the previous post but should have is the issue of discovery. Compared to the case last decade, the court was much more favorable to legislative privilege and retention of documents. This meant the plaintiffs have less official legal evidence to prove the gerrymandering claim, whereas the racial one just needs RPV and functionality evidence like under Section 2 VRA, albeit  more lenient.  Trying again in a more favorable lower venue in regards to Tampa and Orlando might additionally lead to better discovery rulings even if that case would still eventually head up to the same Conservative-controlled high courts.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #848 on: August 16, 2023, 11:52:00 AM »

It takes Thomas and Alito judicial standards to make the argument that the 14th Amendment - passed in the wake of the Civil War to end the slavery of African Americans in the country - guarantees the right of lawmakers to discriminate against blacks in redistricting congressional maps.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #849 on: August 22, 2023, 12:13:51 PM »

FL-05 trial is Thursday.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies