UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 06:22:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 ... 232
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 296286 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2425 on: August 27, 2021, 11:45:02 AM »

I’m living for the FBPE crowd praising and hoping for President Barnier.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2426 on: August 27, 2021, 11:51:47 AM »

I’m living for the FBPE crowd praising and hoping for President Barnier.

Truly we live in the Banter Timeline.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2427 on: August 27, 2021, 09:39:04 PM »

England men's football manager Gareth Southgate revealed he was abused online for advocating English people to get the vaccine.....he faced more abuse with that than the losses England faced under his reign....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/26/gareth-southgate-i-got-more-abuse-for-vaccine-video-than-managing-england

They are British libertarians too......that's their problem....if they don't want to get the vaccine, that is their problem. Period.
Sir John Johns
France

« Reply #2428 on: August 28, 2021, 05:32:58 PM »

Exhumed from the archives of the French National Audiovisual Institute, a creepy as hell report on  ‘Jacob, 12, trader and fan of Thatcher’ dating back from 1982. Yeah, you know which Jacob we are talking about.

‘I loved money, always have done’. 1982, meet Jacob, 12, an atypical boy who loves monitoring his stock prices, riding in a Rolls and who admires Margaret Thatcher. Jacob has a lot of ambitions. To discover what has become of him, go to the end of the video’.

My favorite part is when he gives the reason why he will never get married (ah!).
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2429 on: August 28, 2021, 09:17:06 PM »

Exhumed from the archives of the French National Audiovisual Institute, a creepy as hell report on  ‘Jacob, 12, trader and fan of Thatcher’ dating back from 1982. Yeah, you know which Jacob we are talking about.

‘I loved money, always have done’. 1982, meet Jacob, 12, an atypical boy who loves monitoring his stock prices, riding in a Rolls and who admires Margaret Thatcher. Jacob has a lot of ambitions. To discover what has become of him, go to the end of the video’.

My favorite part is when he gives the reason why he will never get married (ah!).

This cannot be real. This is parodic.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2430 on: August 29, 2021, 03:31:20 AM »

He’s a prime example of how Brexit has changed parliamentary politics- without it he would still be one  of the eccentric backbench Tory MPs who lecture Ministers about unitary local government structures or ecclesiastical reform.

Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #2431 on: August 29, 2021, 04:40:44 AM »

From that video you can tell he is not a true aristocrat. Far too materialistic. I must say that I find Rees-Mogg quite vacuous, though sometimes rather amusing.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2432 on: August 29, 2021, 06:25:17 AM »

He was a few years younger than that when he appeared on an episode of once popular children's show Jim'll Fix It. A programme now consigned to the outer darkness eternally for......reasons.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2433 on: August 29, 2021, 06:42:06 AM »

From that video you can tell he is not a true aristocrat. Far too materialistic. I must say that I find Rees-Mogg quite vacuous, though sometimes rather amusing.

British aristocrats love money and material possessions like a cat loves catnip. They just don’t like having to put in any actual effort to acquire said money and material possessions. You are correct of course that Rees-Mogg isn’t an aristocrat but there are… other reasons for that.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #2434 on: August 29, 2021, 09:14:16 AM »

You can also hear it in his accent. Certain syllables have a more humble twang.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #2435 on: August 29, 2021, 09:27:40 AM »

He actually sounds posher now, which makes me think that his current accent is to a certain extent affected to keep in the character that he has created for himself.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #2436 on: August 29, 2021, 10:30:16 AM »
« Edited: August 29, 2021, 10:37:06 AM by Geoffrey Howe »

British aristocrats love money and material possessions like a cat loves catnip. They just don’t like having to put in any actual effort to acquire said money and material possessions. You are correct of course that Rees-Mogg isn’t an aristocrat but there are… other reasons for that.

Perhaps, but they would never talk about it like he does in that video. He comes across as materialistic in a rather crass, almost nouveau riche way. Put simply, he is just too open about it.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2437 on: August 29, 2021, 10:50:54 AM »

He actually sounds posher now, which makes me think that his current accent is to a certain extent affected to keep in the character that he has created for himself.

That's an impression I've had for some time.  His accent as a 12 year old sounds a bit weird in a way that suggests he was beginning to develop the affected accent but hadn't quite got it at that point.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2438 on: August 29, 2021, 10:56:30 AM »

I mean he is genuinely posh, but at a lower (worse: provincial) rung. Old gentry family and in the West Country, almost as much as Wales, that largely means little more than 'posh farmers'.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #2439 on: August 29, 2021, 11:11:04 AM »
« Edited: August 29, 2021, 11:17:40 AM by Geoffrey Howe »

I mean he is genuinely posh, but at a lower (worse: provincial) rung. Old gentry family and in the West Country, almost as much as Wales, that largely means little more than 'posh farmers'.

Catholic too, though there were some extremely wealthy Catholics (most famously portrayed in Brideshead Revisited). What was the social status of these types? I know the Dukes of Norfolk are traditionally Catholic, but I imagine there was some inferiority attached to Catholicism.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2440 on: August 29, 2021, 12:15:23 PM »

I can't remember where I read it but someone said the biggest give away is having a double barrel surname- something that our actual aristocracy tend to avoid (although you'll have to ask the Queen Mother how true this is as she's a Lyon-Bowes)
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #2441 on: August 29, 2021, 12:59:26 PM »

I humbly submit that I think I know JRM a bit better than most who just know him from TV.  He's absolutely genuine.  Seriously - it's real and not a character.

Make of that what you will.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2442 on: August 29, 2021, 02:07:05 PM »

I humbly submit that I think I know JRM a bit better than most who just know him from TV.  He's absolutely genuine.  Seriously - it's real and not a character.

Make of that what you will.

I think there is a tendency to become the mask - there is a certain type who really leans on the foppish aristocrat image as essentially a party trick, a mirror of those who lean into mockney or crazy hippy or whatever.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #2443 on: August 29, 2021, 03:31:29 PM »

Yeah, a lot of people I know felt that when JRM started getting attention he lapped it up (which is only a theory). All the 'get the longest word in hansard' business seemed innocent, but it contributed to him increasingly seeming like a parody of himself. Perhaps a fair explanation is that he was always viewed as a non-serious character, so it would be a valid stage in the character arc. But I think he's real, just become self-aware of it.

Of course he is seen as still quite ideological in spite of the character, not because of it, though I would argue much less ideological than his father actually was. Perhaps that's what being in politics does to you.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2444 on: August 29, 2021, 03:59:12 PM »

With a Tory government, I am surprised that US radio talk show host Michael Savage hasn't been freed from ban in the UK, the Labor government in 2009 did that, it is surprising....

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103819122

Priti Patel should offer an olive branch
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2445 on: August 29, 2021, 04:02:28 PM »

JRM sent that rule to his staff asking them to only use imperial measurements and some other silly and pedantic stuff I can't remember, so yeah I don't think it's a 'character'.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2446 on: August 29, 2021, 04:25:54 PM »

Michael Gove has greatly enhanced his reputation in the race for my vote in the next Tory leadership election.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2447 on: August 29, 2021, 06:48:32 PM »

I don't think Gove would even be considered....he looks like a cartoon character

Patel and Badenoch would be historic firsts, something that a white-dominant conservative party needs......

Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2448 on: August 29, 2021, 06:59:27 PM »

I don't think Gove would even be considered....he looks like a cartoon character

He looks like he walked out of Madame Tussaud’s on a hot day.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2449 on: August 29, 2021, 07:09:36 PM »

He looks like he walked out of Madame Tussaud’s on a hot day.

Exactly. Labor would win if he was the Tory leader.

Labor is ripe for a 2024 victory; it has been decades since they won
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 ... 232  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies